Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tale of Two Jaguars
Back in 2009-2010, Bengals had their eye on a Jaguar Safety who had impressed them before the draft, someone they had desired but didn't get the chance to take. They traded Jacksonville for Reggie Nelson, who became one of the best Bengals Safeties of all time.

In 2016-2017, A similar story arises about a DE, Chris Smith.

Both guys played (underperformed) for 3 years at Jacksonville before getting traded.

If the Chris Smith scenario can continue its similarities to Reggie Nelsons case, this guy will be a great DE for us.

I had 0 interest in Chris Smith until Lap the other day said Whitworth declared Smith a top 5 talent type of guy. "Well, why has he underperformed then?" I asked myself. After further thought, Reggie Nelson came to mind. Suboptimal at Jacksonville, a complete stud here.

Here is to hoping Chris Smith has the same impact on the DL that Reggie Nelson did for our secondary. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2017, 08:47 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Back in 2009-2010, Bengals had their eye on a Jaguar Safety who had impressed them before the draft, someone they had desired but didn't get the chance to take. They traded Jacksonville for Reggie Nelson, who became one of the best Bengals Safeties of all time.

Both guys played (underperformed) for 3 years at Jacksonville before getting traded.

If the Chris Smith scenario can continue its similarities to Reggie Nelsons case, this guy will be a great DE for us.

I had 0 interest in Chris Smith until Lap the other day said Whitworth declared Smith a top 5 talent type of guy. "Well, why has he underperformed then?" I asked myself. After further thought, Reggie Nelson came to mind. Suboptimal at Jacksonville, a complete stud here.

Here is to hoping Chris Smith has the same impact on the DL that Reggie Nelson did for our secondary. Rock On

No doubt brother and i actually don't take what Whit and Lap say with a grain of salt unlike Hobspin.

All he did was ball out in his first game in stripes too. 7 QB pressures is insane. Mellow

This dude of the name of Chris Smith deserves some time with the 1's over MJ after that.

Really like my guy Jordan Willis too. The coaches just have to make the obvious decisions.
Reply/Quote
Sometimes a change of scenery is good for guys. Put them in a scheme that suits their strengths and they blossom.

I have no clue if Smith will even make the final roster though. Or defensive line is like 12 deep.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2017, 08:47 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Back in 2009-2010, Bengals had their eye on a Jaguar Safety who had impressed them before the draft, someone they had desired but didn't get the chance to take. They traded Jacksonville for Reggie Nelson, who became one of the best Bengals Safeties of all time.

Nelson was in the 2007 draft. We were actually going to draft him, but Leon Hall fell to us so we snatched him up.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 03:51 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Sometimes a change of scenery is good for guys. Put them in a scheme that suits their strengths and they blossom.

I have no clue if Smith will even make the final roster though. Or defensive line is like 12 deep.

Sure helps Smith if MJ and Gilberry continue to suck it up. Sims too.
Reply/Quote

Its like when the bengals were bad for years and when guys left they got better...

For a guy like Chris smith who rushes the passer...   You gotta have chances to rush the passer and Jacksonville hasn't been leading to many games that I can remember
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 05:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Sure helps Smith if MJ and Gilberry continue to suck it up. Sims too.

yeah seeing the "1's" out there didn't give me much confidence that we learned to stop the run. or the Pass into the gut of the defense.
Reply/Quote
If Lap likes him? I like him! Kinda trust the guys opinion.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 09:47 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: If Lap likes him? I like him! Kinda trust the guys opinion.

If Whit & Lap both like his ability; seems that it's pretty much the gospel. Good post btw, GC.
Willis & Smith both shined in last week's game. Looking forward to seeing what they bring this week.
Reply/Quote
He definitely impressed the other night.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I am 100% in his corner and want him to make the team, but;

Nelson came out of a larger, more successful college program and was a first-round pick and was played at CB, where he struggled a bit.

He was then moved to S, full-time, once he was traded to us.

Smith was a 5th round pick at DE and has always played DE in a 4-3 and doesn't have nearly the amount of talent that Nelson had.

The players' teams and how we acquired them, are the only similarities here; otherwise, this isn't quite the same situation.

Also, Nelson was acquired to be a starter, Smith a back-end, rotation piece.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 06:14 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: yeah seeing the "1's" out there didn't give me much confidence that we learned to stop the run. or the Pass into the gut of the defense.

Geno and Dunlap were good. Just have to replace Sims with Billings and MJ with Willis or Chris Smith.

At this point i still like Willis with the 1's cause i know HE can stop the run. Don't know about Smith.

(08-17-2017, 10:18 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I am 100% in his corner and want him to make the team, but;

Nelson came out of a larger, more successful college program and was a first-round pick and was played at CB, where he struggled a bit.

He was then moved to S, full-time, once he was traded to us.

Smith was a 5th round pick at DE and has always played DE in a 4-3 and doesn't have nearly the amount of talent that Nelson had.

The players' teams and how we acquired them, are the only similarities here; otherwise, this isn't quite the same situation.

Also, Nelson was acquired to be a starter, Smith a back-end, rotation piece.

All true Truck, i guess i didn't say these things cause they kind of go without saying lol

Liked Chris Smith's interview as of late. Dude looks hungry and when watching him play looks much bigger than what he is listed.
Reply/Quote
I know we always overrate a player during the preseason, but I'm drinking the Smith koolaid. I think he has a legit shot to make it. Nice steal if so.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Reggie Nelson was a first round pick, too. Chris Smith is an "undersized" defensive end, a fifth round pick. That is a big difference in terms of initial scouting and ability out of college. Nelson also had seven picks his first two years in Jacksonville but in his third season a new DC came in. Don't underestimate that, too, as the Jags were changing things over.

Reggie's been a good player. Smith...we'll see. He's been impressive thus far. Chris Carter made this team by being able to prove in the preseason he could get to the quarterback and play special teams. If this team keeps only 8-9 DL, it will be a tough call.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2017, 09:21 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Reggie Nelson was a first round pick, too. Chris Smith is an "undersized" defensive end, a fifth round pick. That is a big difference in terms of initial scouting and ability out of college. Nelson also had seven picks his first two years in Jacksonville but in his third season a new DC came in. Don't underestimate that, too, as the Jags were changing things over.

Reggie's been a good player. Smith...we'll see. He's been impressive thus far. Chris Carter made this team by being able to prove in the preseason he could get to the quarterback and play special teams. If this team keeps only 8-9 DL, it will be a tough call.

If MJ, Sims and Gilberry keep playing like they did against Tampa it should be an easy call Jim.

BTW, Chris Smith looks a lot bigger out there than he is listed.
Reply/Quote

One of my close friends is a Jag fan, and we are going to Florida this year for the game.  Smith tearing it up against his old team would be super sweet!!!

WhoDey2
Reply/Quote
This Smith guy needs to start over Johnson... I wanted DeMarcus Walker this year out of Fla.St., but hell this guy plays like him, even better.
Reply/Quote