Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tale of the Tape: Dalton vs. Roethlisberger
Here's a nice article by Coley Harvey and Jeremy Fowler that I thought that some of you may enjoy.  It's a decent breakdown of what both the Bengals and the Steelers will be bringing to the table in terms of QB this Sunday

http://espn.go.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/19768/steelers-bengals-ben-roethlisberger-andy-dalton-tale-tape-quarterback-matchup

When news first came out some five weeks ago that Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger had an MCL injury, many in the Queen City pulled out their calendars and Cincinnati Bengals schedules to do a little injury-return math.

It didn't take long for many to realize that the last of the approximate four weeks Roethlisberger was scheduled to miss would coincide with the Bengals' first meeting of the year with the Steelers. The prevailing thought in Cincinnati was that at some point before the Nov. 1 meeting the quarterback would be back. Although, like Bengals defensive end Carlos Dunlap said Monday about the long-noted tough Roethlisberger, "If it would have been last week he got injured, he probably [still] would play this week."

Well, NFL fans, we're in luck. We'll be seeing quite the quarterback showdown. Barring any unforeseen setbacks, Roethlisberger appears in line to make his return Sunday -- after four games away -- when Pittsburgh hosts its division-rival Bengals.

Roethlisberger's return comes amid the hottest stretch of football Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton has played in his career. The league's leader in Total QBR and passer rating, Dalton has been masterful in leading the Bengals to a 6-0 record that has many believing they are legitimate Super Bowl contenders. He'll be out to prove he's significantly better than his 2-6 all-time record against the Steelers might indicate.

Can Dalton build upon his start? Or will the Steelers, under Roethlisberger's control, play the role of midseason spoiler? We'll find out at 1 p.m. ET Sunday. But before we do, let's take a look at how the two quarterbacks compare in this tale of the tape. ESPN's Jeremy Fowler and Coley Harvey provide the breakdown from Pittsburgh and Cincinnati, respectively:

Ben Roethlisberger, right, and Andy Dalton will meet again on Sunday. Mike DiNovo/USA TODAY Sports
NICKNAME

Roethlisberger: "Big Ben," Pittsburgh Steelers

Dalton: "Red Rifle," Cincinnati Bengals

SECRET TO SUCCESS

Roethlisberger: Accuracy, the ability to control the line of scrimmage, a deft touch with the no-huddle offense, a 240-plus-pound body that can shed defensive linemen and also looks like a defensive lineman and a prototypical NFL arm.

Dalton: He has a quick-strike ability, taking very little time to pass to his targets on shorter routes. He also can take as much time as he wants to throw behind arguably the best offensive line in the league. This year, his accurate deep throws have been a weapon.

MOST VALUABLE ASSET

Roethlisberger: His ability to get chunk yardage out of virtually nothing. Plays will break down and Roethlisberger will create, maneuver and find receivers for big gains, sometimes while a linebacker drapes over him.

Dalton: Decision-making. Perhaps because of his turnover-heavy past, this has been his most underrated quality this season. When the pocket collapses and sacks seem imminent, Dalton has been good about scrambling until the last possible second and throwing the ball away.

MOST IMPRESSIVE ACCOMPLISHMENT THIS SEASON

Roethlisberger: His 10.2 yards per passing attempt, which, combined with a 75.3 completion percentage, gives him a 113.1 passer rating, one of the very best in the league.

Dalton: He's had a year of accomplishments, but his top achievement was bringing the Bengals back from a 17-point fourth-quarter deficit to beat Seattle in overtime. Cincinnati was the first team in 428 tries to win after that wide of a fourth-quarter margin.

REASON FOR OPTIMISM ON SUNDAY

Roethlisberger: Roethlisberger returns after a four-game absence, lifting the spirits of the rest of the offense. The Steelers have more options offensively than the Bengals, plus the defense has improved.

Dalton: He hasn't lost yet this season and has looked especially good on the road, winning at Oakland, Baltimore and Buffalo. Having a rested and fully healthy group of playmakers helps, too.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
"Roethlisberger: Roethlisberger returns after a four-game absence, lifting the spirits of the rest of the offense. The Steelers have more options offensively than the Bengals, plus the defense has improved."

They do? I'm pretty sure WRs are a wash, RBs are a slight edge to them, but the TE? Not even close. And the last time I checked, their defense had no where to go but up.

I'm putting this game on our defense. If they play like they did in the fourth quarter against the Seahawks, which is something they have flashed a few times this year, they can get this win.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2015, 10:09 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: "Roethlisberger: Roethlisberger returns after a four-game absence, lifting the spirits of the rest of the offense. The Steelers have more options offensively than the Bengals, plus the defense has improved."

They do?  I'm pretty sure WRs are a wash, RBs are a slight edge to them, but the TE?  Not even close.  And the last time I checked, their defense had no where to go but up.  

I'm putting this game on our defense.  If they play like they did in the fourth quarter against the Seahawks, which is something they have flashed a few times this year, they can get this win.

My thoughts exactly.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Would not say steelers have more weapons than Bengals at all.

Believe the Bengals have more weapons than can be defended and Dalton has learned how to exploit opposing defenses with these mismatches.

Bengals are the better team in my book, but the steelers will not go quietly into the night and will be a contender by years end.

The Bengals already are.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Bell and Brown are among the best in the league. They will make some big plays and gain a lot of yards. But I don't think that means the Steelers have a better team.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2015, 10:09 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: "Roethlisberger: Roethlisberger returns after a four-game absence, lifting the spirits of the rest of the offense. The Steelers have more options offensively than the Bengals, plus the defense has improved."

They do?  I'm pretty sure WRs are a wash, RBs are a slight edge to them, but the TE?  Not even close.  And the last time I checked, their defense had no where to go but up.  

I'm putting this game on our defense.  If they play like they did in the fourth quarter against the Seahawks, which is something they have flashed a few times this year, they can get this win.

Right,

Bell and Brown are tops in the league but we have more depth. Best case scenario it's a wash for them, but I feel we're ahead in weapons.

If BigJen does play he's going to be somewhat limited at the least running his normal game, sand lot ball. Is he going to be able to shake those half dozen sacks he normally does on a gimpy knee ?

Like you say, if our D can hold them somewhat in check, I like our chances !
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2015, 12:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Bell and Brown are among the best in the league.  They will make some big plays and gain a lot of yards.  But I don't think that means the Steelers have a better team.

To me the Bengals and Steelers are very comparable.  Offensively they are both very powerful.  Defensively they both have weaknesses (currently); the Steelers have issues in their secondary and the Bengals have issues in their linebacker group.

These games will likely boil down to who executes better where they are the weakest.  For example, how well will the Bengals stop the run versus how well will the Steelers contain the Bengal pass game.  The team that does the best will likely win each game.

I see these teams as being that close.
Reply/Quote
I feel kind of bad because I read it as Tale of the Rape.

Just another one of those things, I guess. Roethlisberger will always be a rapist in my eyes.
Reply/Quote