Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Talked to Adam Schein today
After being on hold for a half hour, I spoke to Schein on his radio show with Serius. Basically told him that we were going to win the division and our first playoff game this year, hopefully further. He spewed the typical garbage narrative about the Steelers being the team to beat, how Marvin Lewis and Andy haven't won a playoff game. I told him if Andy hadn't broken his thumb last year, we would have gone far. Told him that McCarron almost beat his BELOVED Steelers. But he didn't want to hear it of course. He cut me off shortly after Forgot to mention how he thinks Hue Jackson leaving was going to hurt, and even said he should be our head coach. He probably said the same thing about Zim. He mentioned how having Jones and Sanu leave is going to hurt, even though they were what, 4th and 5th rounders?

Anyway, hope you guys maybe heard it for yourselves. Maybe even some of our players heard it. Definitely have the homer shades on, but why not? What do we have to lose? I've been skeptical as anyone, especially since the heartbreak. But I'm done with last year. Ready for this season.

Rock On
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2016, 02:14 PM)Captain Happy Pants Wrote: After being on hold for a half hour, I spoke to Schein on his radio show with Serius.  Basically told him that we were going to win the division and our first playoff game this year, hopefully further.  He spewed the typical garbage narrative about the Steelers being the team to beat, how Marvin Lewis and Andy haven't won a playoff game.  I told him if Andy hadn't broken his thumb last year, we would have gone far.  Told him that McCarron almost beat his BELOVED Steelers.  But he didn't want to hear it of course.  He cut me off shortly after Forgot to mention how he thinks Hue Jackson leaving was going to hurt, and even said he should be our head coach.  He probably said the same thing about Zim.  He mentioned how having Jones and Sanu leave is going to hurt, even though they were what, 4th and 5th rounders?  

Anyway, hope you guys maybe heard it for yourselves.  Maybe even some of our players heard it.  Definitely have the homer shades on, but why not?  What do we have to lose?  I've been skeptical as anyone, especially since the heartbreak.  But I'm done with last year.   Ready for this season.

Rock On

Do you know if they load the show up on the website.  If they do, I'll look it for later tonight.  I would like to hear one of our members on air debating a Steelers fan.

Next time just bring up Sir Rapes A Lot.  There's is literally no comeback to that.

Steelers fan - "My team has won 18 Superbowls.  Your team sucks.  Recent game results in your face.  Yada, yada, yada...."

Bengals fan -Oh, yeah?  Well, at least our QB isn't a rapist. 

Crickets...
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2016, 02:14 PM)Captain Happy Pants Wrote:  he thinks Hue Jackson leaving was going to hurt, and even said he should be our head coach.  He probably said the same thing about Zim.  

Well he's not wrong there.  Mellow

(At least on the Zim part)
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2016, 02:37 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Do you know if they load the show up on the website.  If they do, I'll look it for later tonight.  I would like to hear one of our members on air debating a Steelers fan.

Next time just bring up Sir Rapes A Lot.  There's is literally no comeback to that.

Steelers fan - "My team has won 18 Superbowls.  Your team sucks.  Recent game results in your face.  Yada, yada, yada...."

Bengals fan -Oh, yeah?  Well, at least our QB isn't a rapist. 

Crickets...

Lol...I'm curious to see how I sounded.  For whatever reason I got nervous before speaking to him and probably didn't come across very confident.  But I don't care.  I wish he had given me more air time to bring up the bias against bengals, one sided officiating, Steeler love, etc.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2016, 02:42 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: Well he's not wrong there.  Mellow

(At least on the Zim part)

True, but our defense did fine without Zim.  And Hue got too cute at times.  I think Zampese will do fine, maybe even better
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2016, 02:44 PM)Captain Happy Pants Wrote: Lol...I'm curious to see how I sounded.  For whatever reason I got nervous before speaking to him and probably didn't come across very confident.  But I don't care.  I wish he had given me more air time to bring up the bias against bengals, one sided officiating, Steeler love, etc.

Meh, I think everybody is kinda like that.  I would be too.  Plus, those guys jobs are to talk on air, and engage callers.  They're literally professionals at it.   No matter how well you rehearse your take in your heard, or how much you actually know, I think it's only natural for most people to kind of tense up a bit there.

I called into Sportw of All Sorts one time years ago, like in the late 90's or early 2000's.  I'm a HUGE UC fan, and I had watched the show every week for I don't how many years.  I could easily sit there and counter some of the other callers or their Xavier guy they had on while sitting there.  At least I thought I could.   Called in, and had all my talking points in my head, and thought "Man, I'm about to drop serious UC knowledge on to this show.  I managed to make one dig at X, and when the X guy countered, I think ultimately responded with something very similar to this level:

Reply/Quote
I try not to let my love for the Bengals cloud my judgement but I still can't see how the Steelers are the team to beat. Martavis Bryant is out for the year. Bell is probably out the first four games. Last I checked, that suspect secondary didn't improve. I don't get it but I guess until the Bengals actually win a playoff game they won't get the benefit of the doubt.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2016, 02:14 PM)Captain Happy Pants Wrote: After being on hold for a half hour, I spoke to Schein on his radio show with Serius.  Basically told him that we were going to win the division and our first playoff game this year, hopefully further.  He spewed the typical garbage narrative about the Steelers being the team to beat, how Marvin Lewis and Andy haven't won a playoff game.  I told him if Andy hadn't broken his thumb last year, we would have gone far.  Told him that McCarron almost beat his BELOVED Steelers.  But he didn't want to hear it of course.  He cut me off shortly after Forgot to mention how he thinks Hue Jackson leaving was going to hurt, and even said he should be our head coach.  He probably said the same thing about Zim.  He mentioned how having Jones and Sanu leave is going to hurt, even though they were what, 4th and 5th rounders?  

Anyway, hope you guys maybe heard it for yourselves.  Maybe even some of our players heard it.  Definitely have the homer shades on, but why not?  What do we have to lose?  I've been skeptical as anyone, especially since the heartbreak.  But I'm done with last year.   Ready for this season.

Rock On

Thats cool dude. I think the Steelers are in for a rude awakening this season and in the future. It really looks to me
and a few others that the Bengals are about to take over this rivalry. Our Defense is turning into the mean guys and
we should beat them even without Burfict and then sweep them. Their Secondary has problems and losing Bryant is
going to hurt their passing game.

Our Offense should have some chemistry issues early on with our new guys but Eifert should be back for when we
play the Steelers and even if he is not Green and Lafell are proven and Kroft and Boyd have great hands. This along
with Gio's versatility in the passing game and Ogbuehi's talent on the right side of the line we might not miss a beat.

Sanu was a 3rd rounder BTW but i could easily see Lafell and Boyd being better this year. Lets not act like he had
great production last year or anything. MLJ was the talent, but not irreplaceable by no means with our new guys.
Core has similar speed and better size, Lafell has just as good if not better production. Boyd has just as good if not
better hands than MLJ.

Zampese has worked with Dalton since he has got here. Not like some OC from the outside came here.

Plus on D Geno and Dunlap should wreak havoc and MJ was injured last year. Look for him to play better. We kept
our Secondary in tact and added a pass cover backer with Dansby.

Honestly, this sounds like Schein is living in a dream world and does not want to look at some of these things.
Reply/Quote
Yeah, he took my call last year when I said that I thought AZ would lose by three TDs and Denver would win a close one over NE. He referenced me throughout the rest of the show with lines like "Everyone is going AZ, except Steve from Cincinnati, who thinks Carson Palmer will stink and lose by three TDs". I've called several times since and they wouldn't put me on. And I would have taken my medicine if I was not right.

Typical frontrunner looking for ratings.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Wow you spoke with the most giant twat in the football business.

Actually, he gave Dalton credit last year when credit was due, I do commend him for that.

He is a jackass though, he just knows what buttons to push with every team and does so to get reactions. He also likes to suck on Aaron Rodgers nuts every now and then.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2016, 04:09 PM)NKYRob Wrote: I try not to let my love for the Bengals cloud my judgement but I still can't see how the Steelers are the team to beat.  Martavis Bryant is out for the year.  Bell is probably out the first four games.  Last I checked, that suspect secondary didn't improve.  I don't get it but I guess until the Bengals actually win a playoff game they won't get the benefit of the doubt.

Agree,

I don't think in any way the Steelers are the team to beat. Sure they'll win games and probably hang around in the hunt. But they're not gonna run roughshod over the AFC/NFL or whatever. I honestly think they'll be in a battle for a wildcard and may not make it.
Reply/Quote
Back in 2002 or so, I called into a sports show in New York that Sid Rosenberg hosted. They were talking about people who don't root for local teams. He and his co-host (a Steeler fan not from Pittsburgh of course) wanted people to call in and discuss. Well, I called in a few times and finally got through.

The call screener answered the phone and just said "where do you live and what are your favorite teams?". I said I'm born and raised in central New Jersey (and living there at that time) and root for the Bengals and Reds. He said "Whoa. That's a good one". He put me on the air almost immediately. Rosenberg gave me a lot of credit for sticking by the Bengals since they sucked for so long and that if anyone called me a bandwagon fan if the Bengals ever got good, that I should beat the shite out of them.

It was pretty neat.
Reply/Quote
I'm actually glad a lot of these talking heads are slobbering at the balls of the steelers (be careful, you might catch a STD).

I think the expectations are all on them. I kind of like seeing that AD is 50-1 to win MVP and Fat is 9-1. (Palmer is 12-1, which is hilarious).

The Bengals will surely have a rather large boulder on their shoulder after the way the NFL portrayed them after the playoff loss (with a backup QB, which everyone seems to forget). I just remember one of my least favorite Bengal teams (2010) looked like dog doo when they had high expectations, but this is a very different roster.
Reply/Quote
It kills me how national media predicts (yet again) that the Bengals will slip. This time the reason they give is that we lost MLJ and Sanu. Yet they predict the Steelers taking the division despite losing Bryant and Heath Miller. They also lost Bell for 4 games and he and Ben rarely stay healthy for a full season.

Rationally there are more reasons to like the Bengals than the Steelers this year. The Bengals are still younger, healthier (knock on wood) and have been more consistent over the last 5 years (a stretch where the Steelers went 8-8 twice). If not for a 6 game streak of facing backup QBs, the Steelers were on track for another 8-8 season last year.

Sure, the Steelers have a potent offense when everyone is healthy and not suspended, but that won't be the case and that defense is still a weakness. Btw, for all the hype Ben gets, he had 21 TDs to 16 INTs last year. I don't figure on him getting better without his 2nd best WR (Wheaton is average at best) and his safety valves (Heath and Bell). Antonio Brown can only do so much.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2016, 11:46 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It kills me how national media predicts (yet again) that the Bengals will slip. This time the reason they give is that we lost MLJ and Sanu. Yet they predict the Steelers taking the division despite losing Bryant and Heath Miller. They also lost Bell for 4 games and he and Ben rarely stay healthy for a full season.

Rationally there are more reasons to like the Bengals than the Steelers this year. The Bengals are still younger, healthier (knock on wood) and have been more consistent over the last 5 years (a stretch where the Steelers went 8-8 twice). If not for a 6 game streak of facing backup QBs, the Steelers were on track for another 8-8 season last year.

Sure, the Steelers have a potent offense when everyone is healthy and not suspended, but that won't be the case and that defense is still a weakness. Btw, for all the hype Ben gets, he had 21 TDs to 16 INTs last year. I don't figure on him getting better without his 2nd best WR (Wheaton is average at best) and his safety valves (Heath and Bell). Antonio Brown can only do so much.

It's funny to me that people over hype Jones and Sanu. I never liked Sanu, so I have no clue why people thinks that losing him will be big. Jones was a good receiver, but I think we got a good replacement with LaFell, who has been just as good as Jones through his career.

I think a lot of people say losing those two are big because they always want to find an excuse to why the Bengals will suck the upcoming year.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2016, 11:46 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote:  If not for a 6 game streak of facing backup QBs, the Steelers were on track for another 8-8 season last year.

Everyone seems to forget this....good point reminding them.

Their defense is nowhere near as complete as that of Cincinnati.  Sure, they are improving, but they simply aren't as talented across the board on defense.  Their plan of scoring 30 per game took a huge hit with the loss of Bell and Bryant.  Heath Miller is also a security blanket Pig Ben will miss.  

I just hope Andy comes in there week 2 and puts up something like 35 points.  Ruin them early, watch them implode and turn to the chronic  :hooked: 
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2016, 03:54 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: It's funny to me that people over hype Jones and Sanu. I never liked Sanu, so I have no clue why people thinks that losing him will be big. Jones was a good receiver, but I think we got a good replacement with LaFell, who has been just as good as Jones through his career.

I think a lot of people say losing those two are big because they always want to find an excuse to why the Bengals will suck the upcoming year.

I liked Marvin a lot.  Mo Sanu was hit or miss, but I really did like Marvin.  I think his loss is overcome by the addition of Lafell, and the development of THREE young TEs.  Boyd will likely only see the field in 3 WR formations, but I think we will see a lot more of Kroft and even Uzomah this year.  Plus, I think the RBs will be more involved in the passing game....Burkhead, Gio, and Hill....all three will catch passes.

There wasn't anything that Zamp said that makes me feel that way, but the most potent offenses he has seen here had great success with RB s catching the ball, and I also feel he likes the two TE sets to improve the running game.  
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2016, 05:40 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I liked Marvin a lot.  Mo Sanu was hit or miss, but I really did like Marvin.  I think his loss is overcome by the addition of Lafell, and the development of THREE young TEs.  Boyd will likely only see the field in 3 WR formations, but I think we will see a lot more of Kroft and even Uzomah this year.  Plus, I think the RBs will be more involved in the passing game....Burkhead, Gio, and Hill....all three will catch passes.

There wasn't anything that Zamp said that makes me feel that way, but the most potent offenses he has seen here had great success with RB s catching the ball, and I also feel he likes the two TE sets to improve the running game.  

Zampese was a QB coach, so I'm expecting a lot of passing. I do agree that we will be using our RBs a lot more in the pass game too. I never liked how much Hue gave the ball to the RBs in the redzone last year, and I think that Zampese will use Dalton in the redzone more too (which he's really good in the redzone). I think that the offense next year will be really good. I'm pretty excited for both sides of the ball honestly.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2016, 05:36 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Everyone seems to forget this....good point reminding them.

Their defense is nowhere near as complete as that of Cincinnati.  Sure, they are improving, but they simply aren't as talented across the board on defense.  Their plan of scoring 30 per game took a huge hit with the loss of Bell and Bryant.  Heath Miller is also a security blanket Pig Ben will miss.  

I just hope Andy comes in there week 2 and puts up something like 35 points.  Ruin them early, watch them implode and turn to the chronic  :hooked: 

Between Heath and Bryant, they lost 1300 yards + 8 TDs from last season. That's more than MLJ and Sanu. Not to mention the suspension/health of Bell and the health of Ben, etc. I'm not saying they'll totally collapse, but it seems the national media is over the top with praise for their offense (CBS is suggesting they'll be "historic") and all too quick to dismiss their losses and question marks.

The Bengals are receiving the opposite treatment. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2016, 01:40 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Between Heath and Bryant, they lost 1300 yards + 8 TDs from last season. That's more than MLJ and Sanu. Not to mention the suspension/health of Bell and the health of Ben, etc. I'm not saying they'll totally collapse, but it seems the national media is over the top with praise for their offense (CBS is suggesting they'll be "historic") and all too quick to dismiss their losses and question marks.

The Bengals are receiving the opposite treatment. 

Whether radio or TV, it is all about the ratings, baby.

There are so many losers-in-life that think the fact that they root for a team that has six championships somehow makes them a champ as well.  They're all over the country.  The men are typically 5'6" tall, weigh about 150 lbs, and have an average IQ of 40.  The women are about the same height but usually well over 250lbs, and have an IQ just a tad higher than their male counterparts.  

So many of these networks want all those losers to tune in to hear how great their team (and therefore, they, as well) is heading in to the upcoming season.  

Honestly, the greatest media coverage (National) the Bengals ever received was Dalton's rookie season.  They laughed at the Bengals (Sure, Palmer quit...I would too!  It's the Bungles!  Har har har!) and supported Palmer.  They took more of their time covering how the Bengals would surely be 0-16 then they ever have talking about how if Dalton didn't break his thumb, they likely would have represented the AFC and possibly won it all.  

It's ratings.  
Reply/Quote