Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Talking Heads-less Speak!!
For those who pay ANY attention to the 'heads', OR those that like the entertainment!!

Nate Davis, USA Today:

AFC NORTH
Pittsburgh Steelers (12-4): With the exception of an October foray to Kansas City, which concludes an opening stretch of four of six on the road, Pittsburgh's most challenging non-divisional games will occur at Heinz Field.

Baltimore Ravens (9-7): Maybe a little heat on John Harbaugh after missing postseason three of the past four years. Tough break hosting the Steelers on Oct. 1 just seven days after playing in London. (NOTE: In our projection, the Ravens were seeded ahead of the Chargers due to a superior record in common games played.)

Cincinnati Bengals (5-11): The offensive line's outlook is troubling, to say the least, especially with three consecutive road games against stout defensive teams (Jacksonville, Tennesee, Denver) in November. And will Marvin Lewis' lame duck status only ratchet up the pressure on a team that tends to underachieve when it counts most?

Cleveland Browns (4-12): Even if they only improve by three games in the win column — not insignificant — expect this outfit to be far more competitive as its nucleus of talent continues to coalesce.

Johnathan Jones, Sports Illustrated:

PROJECTED RECORD: 12–4
The Steelers boast the best offensive trio in football in Ben Roethlisberger, Le'Veon Bell and Antonio Brown; had Bell been healthy, his team likely would have put up more of a fight in the 2017 AFC title game in January. This season, Pittsburgh should start 5–0 before facing Kansas City with games against the Browns, Vikings, Bears, Ravens and Jaguars on the slate.

Pivotal game: Week 15 vs. Patriots. By this point both teams should be in the playoffs with their division titles (almost) wrapped up. The Patriots have participated in the past six AFC title games, so the odds are good that the Steelers will have to get past New England in the postseason. The best way to prepare for the Patriots in January is to play them in December.

PROJECTED RECORD: 9–7
The Ravens are in danger of missing the playoffs for the third straight year for the first time since 1997–99, which means that John Harbaugh’s seat is very much getting warm. Baltimore was active in free agency but mostly on the defensive side of the ball; Joe Flacco needs more than Danny Woodhead signing to improve from the 21st-ranked scoring offense in the league.

Pivotal game: Week 8 vs. Dolphins. Baltimore closes the first half of its schedule with a Thursday night contest against Miami, coming off a trip back from Minnesota on just four days rest. At this point, the Ravens will already be playing catch-up to the Steelers—can they stay in the mix, or will they fall even further behind?

PROJECTED RECORD: 9–7
Here’s another AFC North team with a coach who could be on the hot seat. Marvin Lewis is the second-longest tenured coach in the NFL today, but he won’t be able to afford missing the playoffs in consecutive years on top of five years of wild-card futility. The Bengals caught some tough breaks last season by losing seven of nine by a possession. Starting the season against Baltimore, Houston, Green Bay, Cleveland and Buffalo could give the Bengals a 4–1 start going into their bye.

Pivotal game: Week 17 at Ravens. This game could decide who gets a wild card and who stays home. Both the Bengals and Ravens will have to deal with a competitive AFC West, so nine wins may not cut it for a wild-card berth.

PROJECTED RECORD: 2–14
There’s cause for some optimism in Cleveland, but you have to know this season won’t bear much fruit in terms of wins. The Browns strengthened their offensive line and continued to add to their receiving corps even after years of mistakes at that position. They didn’t screw up the top pick and got versatile Jabrill Peppers. I appreciate Cleveland not forcing the issue at QB, but I have a bad feeling Brock Osweiler will be the starter come Week 1.

Pivotal game: Week 11 vs. Jaguars. I considered being sarcastic and saying there is no pivotal game on the schedule for the Browns this year... But remember the emotion in Hue Jackson’s face when they beat the Chargers on Christmas Eve 2016? Cleveland has to build on the one-win season in order for tanking to work. There aren’t many Ws on the schedule, but Jacksonville is the first winnable game for the Browns.

Hank Gargiulo, ESPN Analytics:

2017 AFC North Projections

TEAM WINS LOSSES WIN DIVISION

Steelers 10.1 5.9 56.0%
Ravens 8.8 7.2 25.0%
Bengals 8.3 7.6 18.4%
Browns 4.8 11.2 0.6%

The AFC North is once again set to be a tough division, with only the Browns not projected to finish .500 or better. The Steelers are the preseason favorite to take the division for a second straight year, with the Ravens and Bengals fighting for second place. If the division title race comes down to the final week of the season, take note that Pittsburgh faces Cleveland for the third consecutive season, while the Ravens will host the Bengals in what our projections suggest could determine a wild-card berth.

Tadd Haislop, Sporting News:

1. Pittsburgh Steelers (13-3)
2. Baltimore Ravens (9-7)
3. Cincinnati Bengals (6-10)
4. Cleveland Browns (2-14)

The Steelers and Ravens figure to reinforce the division's reputation as one of the NFL's most competitive. The Bengals hope to crash their rivals' playoff-hopeful party and bounce back from a six-win season after four prior years of double-digit wins. The Browns, of course, just hope to win more than one game.

Nick Wright, Fox Sports

Pittsburgh Steelers
Record: 11-5

Wins: Browns, Vikings, Bears, Jaguars, Bengals, Colts, Titans, Packers, Ravens, Texans, Browns

Losses: Ravens, Chiefs, Lions, Bengals, Patriots

Spin: The Steelers are a flawed team. But they have one of the five best coaches in Mike Tomlin, one of the five best quarterbacks in Ben Roethlisberger, one of the five best wide receivers in Antonio Brown and one of the five best running backs in Leveon Bell.

Baltimore Ravens
Record: 9-7

Wins: Browns, Jaguars, Steelers, Bears, Titans, Texans, Lions, Colts, Bengals

Losses: Bengals, Raiders, Vikings, Dolphins, Packers, Steelers, Browns

Cincinnati Bengals
Record: 9-7

Wins: Ravens, Texans, Browns, Bills, Jaguars, Browns, Steelers, Bears, Lions

Losses: Packers, Steelers, Colts, Titans, Broncos, Vikings, Ravens

Spin: This looks like a team that missed its window.

Cleveland Browns
Record: 3-13

Wins: Jets, Jaguars, Ravens

Losses: Steelers, Ravens, Colts, Bengals, Texans, Titans, Vikings, Lions, Bengals, Chargers, Packers, Bears, Steelers

Spin: Just a dreadful football team.
Reply/Quote
We will see, it all hinges on the O-line, doesn't it? And it was very bad last year.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I'd rather go into the season underhyped than overhyped. We always seem to do better when that happens. What I don't get is all the Ravens love. I know that to the press Harbaugh and Newsome are golden boys but this tandem has put together some majorly underperforming teams over the last several years. And they are having an injury plagued pre-season. That doesn't generally bode well for a great season

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
OMG OMG OMG! Another pundit predicting gloom and doom for the Bengals!  Boy! I sure never saw that coming!  
In other news the pundits predict water will be wet yet one more time before the sun dries up the entire earth ?.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I prefer us under the radar anyways. Seems we play better when everyone writes us off. This year hinges on Offensive line play and skill player health. Our defense should be stout. I just hope, if the offensive line holds, Zamp knows what to do with all these weapons we have now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2017, 05:19 AM)grampahol Wrote: OMG OMG OMG! Another pundit predicting gloom and doom for the Bengals!  Boy! I sure never saw that coming!  
In other news the pundits predict water will be wet yet one more time before the sun dries up the entire earth ?.. 

[Image: david-tennant.gif]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
It's very very very very very very simple.

If our Oline holds up, we make the playoffs. If it doesn't, we don't.

Projections beyond that are completely pointless.
Reply/Quote
I think we've brought in some damn good football players, but the coaches are whistling past the graveyard as to the offensive line.

Our line was a disaster last season, and we decided to let our best two linemen get away.

We had a crappy line, so now it's minus Whitworth and Zeitler. I do not see how it can get anything but worse, even if Ogbuehi is improved. And no one on this roster is going to play right guard as well as Zeitler. I DO think Fisher may be able to hold down the right tackle spot.

Our best hope is our stable of backs and receivers, and a very quick passing attack, paired with some tough running.

The other bright spot is that our defense looks to have some interesting new personnel and may be able to develop into a really tough unit. It better.
Reply/Quote
our O-line will be fine....we have so many weapons we will be the #1 offense in the AFC this yr...
16-0 & we will win the SB....
relax ppl....
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2017, 03:04 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: especially with three consecutive road games against stout defensive teams (Jacksonville, Tennesee, Denver) in November. 

This made me chuckle...I bet folks in Jax and Tennesse are excited to know they have "stout defensive teams".  Denver, sure, but Jax and Tennessee?  Hilarious.

When I see all these pinheads with their research-absent predictions, I just laugh and think "you do this for a living"?

Can't wait to hear their excuses after Cincy gives them all a big shitburger to eat.  
Reply/Quote
What I find laughable, Hank Garigiula has the Steelers going 15-1. I guess he wrote that before training camps began. I read that Roethlisberger had to leave practice early yesterday (ankle). Landry Jones has proven to be a capable fill in, for a few games here and there. But, if something season ending were to happen to Ben, I'm not sure that Jones could pull off all the critical throws like Ben does, when plays break down.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
National pundits giving their preseason take on the Bengals: an annual laugh-a-thon.

Just keep Dalton upright and give Mixon/Gio/Hill some slivers here and there and we will be fine.

At the risk of sounding too simple I believe much of the success of this 2017 squad will hinge upon the development of Ced Ogbuehi. Let's hope the big man can step it up and become a consistent NFL O-lineman.
Reply/Quote