Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tampa Will Be A Good Test For The O-Line
We all know that the biggest question mark on the team is the offensive line and that the team’s success hinges on the line being able to protect Burrow and open up holes for Mixon.

The Bucs have one of the better defensive lines in the league and players like Barrett offer a hell of a challenge, so this game, even though it’s preseason game #1, could do a lot in helping to instill confidence or fear in my expectations.

WHO-DEY!
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2021, 02:45 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: We all know that the biggest question mark on the team is the offensive line and that the team’s success hinges on the line being able to protect Burrow and open up holes for Mixon.

The Bucs have one of the better defensive lines in the league and players like Barrett offer a hell of a challenge, so this game, even though it’s preseason game #1, could do a lot in helping to instill confidence or fear in my expectations.

WHO-DEY!

Yes, it will be a good test, expect to see us struggle a bit as it sounds like the Bucs are going to play their starters more than we are.
Reply/Quote
Last I heard was that Jordan was going to start at RG.The RG position is obviously a concern.I feel pretty good about our projected starting Tackles,LG,and C.But RG??? Maybe XSF steps up? I don’t really care who,as long as they lock down that position.Would be great.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2021, 09:14 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: Last I heard was that Jordan was going to start at RG.The RG position is obviously a concern.I feel pretty good about our projected starting Tackles,LG,and C.But RG??? Maybe XSF steps up? I don’t really care who,as long as they lock down that position.Would be great.

He better stay low... Wink
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2021, 09:14 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: Last I heard was that Jordan was going to start at RG.The RG position is obviously a concern.I feel pretty good about our projected starting Tackles,LG,and C.But RG??? Maybe XSF steps up? I don’t really care who,as long as they lock down that position.Would be great.

LOVE the confidence!

ThumbsUp

That's better than I've felt about the line all offseason but guard is obviously a concern of mine with how much Burrow had the pocket pushed back into his face last season.

Hopefully, XSF can step-up or Pollack can come up with schemes to cover-up his ineptitude or at least make it not as big of a deal.

I also hope that Burrow's relationship with Chase allows him to get the ball out quickly before the rush can get to him and we can keep Mixon in to block since we have so many other weapons. 
Reply/Quote
You’re 100% right, Brad. It’ll also be a great test for our defensive line. Tampa has a rock solid OL. I’m looking forward to it.
Reply/Quote
I disagree with this premise, but it is because I don't feel the 5 guys who line up tomorrow night will not be the 5 guys who line up against the Vikings.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2021, 09:38 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: You’re 100% right, Brad. It’ll also be a great test for our defensive line. Tampa has a rock solid OL. I’m looking forward to it.
I think (hope) our defensive line is underrated and (specifically) I think Obunjobi will wreak some havoc.  I think Reader could make some noise and, even though he's buried on the depth chart right now and won't be facing starters, I want to see Shelvin in action and I'm also anxious to se our rookie defensive ends.
(08-13-2021, 09:55 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I disagree with this premise, but it is because I don't feel the 5 guys who line up tomorrow night will not be the 5 guys who line up against the Vikings.

It will still give us a decent idea if we're close to a solid group or if we need lots of help still.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2021, 02:45 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: We all know that the biggest question mark on the team is the offensive line and that the team’s success hinges on the line being able to protect Burrow and open up holes for Mixon.

WHO-DEY!

I just read that the Bengals are bringing a priest to Tampa for the game. Father O’Riley is reading last rites to Brandon Allen before the game.  Ninja
Reply/Quote

WHO-DEY!

If we don't find out this week, next week the WFT DL is also very good, so 2 huge tests in preseason.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote

I hope Allen keeps his knee intact after Jordan gets forklifted by Su into the backfield. I also hope this is just a motivation move by Pollack for Carman and the rest of the Guards. Im sorry but for a team thats main concern going into the offseason was at OL, for now it appears we only upgraded with Reif at OT.  PROVE ME WRONG BENGALS FOR NOT TAKING SEWELL! 
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2021, 09:55 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I disagree with this premise, but it is because I don't feel the 5 guys who line up tomorrow night will not be the 5 guys who line up against the Vikings.

True, this won't be our starters, we will struggle against that starting DL. Would be a miracle if we held up well against them.

Our depth is going to be tested and this is good. They need it. I like our starters in Jonah, Spain, Hopkins, XSF, Reiff and Carman
but the rest need to be tested big time. Couldn't happen against a better first 2 teams in Preseason in Tampa and then Washington.

Also, as Killer Goose said, Tampa also has a great OL which will be a good test for our new DL. Trenches. No wonder they won the 
Lombardi last year. 
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2021, 03:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True, this won't be our starters, we will struggle against that starting DL. Would be a miracle if we held up well against them.

Our depth is going to be tested and this is good. They need it. I like our starters in Jonah, Spain, Hopkins, XSF, Reiff and Carman
but the rest need to be tested big time. Couldn't happen against a better first 2 teams in Preseason in Tampa and then Washington.

Also, as Killer Goose said, Tampa also has a great OL which will be a good test for our new DL. Trenches. No wonder they won the 
Lombardi last year. 

I'm good with the interior, including the depth as I think Price under Pollack can get the job done off of the bench.

The tackles worry the crap out of me, especially on the left side.  I know Jonah supposedly increased his strength in the off season, and hopefully he will take a big step forward, but from what I saw last year don't think he will be the answer at that position.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals’ interior offensive line will face a real challenge against Tampa Bay’s defensive starters. If they can hold their own against Vita Vea, William Gholston, and Ndamukong Suh I’ll be impressed.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2021, 05:43 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I'm good with the interior, including the depth as I think Price under Pollack can get the job done off of the bench.

The tackles worry the crap out of me, especially on the left side.  I know Jonah supposedly increased his strength in the off season, and hopefully he will take a big step forward, but from what I saw last year don't think he will be the answer at that position.

If Jonah can stay healthy I think he will be just fine and that is also why I like the Carman and D'Ante picks so much, both can 
fill in on either side at LT or RT and Reiff can always move to LT in a pinch too. Health is key as it is every year and depth.

I have heard good things about our depth in TC but have to see it with my own eyes against a quality team like Tampa.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2021, 07:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: If Jonah can stay healthy I think he will be just fine and that is also why I like the Carman and D'Ante picks so much, both can 
fill in on either side at LT or RT
and Reiff can always move to LT in a pinch too. Health is key as it is every year and depth.

I have heard good things about our depth in TC but have to see it with my own eyes against a quality team like Tampa.

I'm good with those picks, but I don't see either of them being a bookend solution in the first year or two.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2021, 07:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: If Jonah can stay healthy I think he will be just fine and that is also why I like the Carman and D'Ante picks so much, both can 
fill in on either side at LT or RT and Reiff can always move to LT in a pinch too. Health is key as it is every year and depth.

Speaking of a Jonah, those ten pound have him looking like the hulk. He was movin on that Chase screen and pancaked his guy. Idk how he played but he looks like an NFL Tackle now.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 11:27 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: I'm good with those picks, but I don't see either of them being a bookend solution in the first year or two.

I could see Smith taking over at RT as early as next year. Guess it depends what happens with Reiff, though.

Reply/Quote
0 sacks allowed.

Prince played over 90% of the snaps and made me forget all about Hakeem Adeniji
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 11:40 AM)bfine32 Wrote: 0 sacks allowed.

Prince played over 90% of the snaps and made me forget all about Hakeem Adeniji

Prince was stonewalling dudes.  Only thing close to a pressure I saw him give up was a third and long obvious pass down and I still wouldn't call it a pressure.  I will say the ball came out of the QB's hand fast all night so it was a little hard to tell but his pass set was legit.  Also saw him get nasty on a run down block.  Him and Smith played really well.  
Reply/Quote