Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Tannehill requests release
Veteran Titans QB Ryan Tannehill has requested his release from the team. His starting position was given to rookie Will Levis. Don't be surprised if Cleveland offers a late round draft pick for him now that Watson is out

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2023, 03:31 PM)pally Wrote: Veteran Titans QB Ryan Tannehill has requested his release from the team.  His starting position was given to rookie Will Levis. Don't be surprised if Cleveland offers a late round draft pick for him now that Watson is out

That makes me wonder.... How many times have teams been beat by the same QB twice in a year but that QB was on 2 different teams during those games?
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2023, 03:31 PM)pally Wrote: Veteran Titans QB Ryan Tannehill has requested his release from the team.  His starting position was given to rookie Will Levis. Don't be surprised if Cleveland offers a late round draft pick for him now that Watson is out

Is there a way for Cleveland to trade for him now that the trade deadline is past? (I know in the MLB there used to be a way to "trade" players via the waiver wire, but I'm not sure if this is something done in the NFL)
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2023, 04:42 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Is there a way for Cleveland to trade for him now that the trade deadline is past? (I know in the MLB there used to be a way to "trade" players via the waiver wire, but I'm not sure if this is something done in the NFL)

No. Tannehill wouldn't hit waivers and would just be an immediate FA anyways. 
Reply/Quote
Can’t trade. The only benefit would be if Cleveland gave a “wink/nod” agreement that they would pick up Tannehill on waivers and take on the balance of the contract… meaning the Texans would be off the hook for the rest of the year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2023, 04:45 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: No. Tannehill wouldn't hit waivers and would just be an immediate FA anyways. 

I thought I agreed with you, the other day I came across an article. Conflicting info for sure, but after 4 seasons I see that they are vested and are “released”.

There’s also a chance that someone like Ryan Tannehill or Jimmy Garoppolo will ask to be released. Assuming they’d clear waivers (anyone claiming them would inherit their current contract), the Browns could sign either as a free agent.

That’s really their only hope at this point. Hope Tannehill or Garoppolo ask to be waived. Hope the Titans or Raiders will do it. Hope no one claims them on waivers.

What’s in it for the Titans or Raiders? Nothing, unless Tannehill or Garoppolo are claimed on waivers. (The Browns could, in theory, wink-nod promise that they will make a waivers claim.)
Reply/Quote
I forgot about the trade deadline. After the trade deadline, ALL released players go to waivers whether or not they are a vested veteran. The Bengals don't play dirty so I wouldn't anticipate them putting in a a waiver claim, if this happens, just to prevent the Browns from getting him. If I were the Giants or Jets though...heck yeah

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2023, 04:50 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: I thought I agreed with you, the other day I came across an article.  Conflicting info for sure, but after 4 seasons I see that they are vested and are “released”.

There’s also a chance that someone like Ryan Tannehill or Jimmy Garoppolo will ask to be released. Assuming they’d clear waivers (anyone claiming them would inherit their current contract), the Browns could sign either as a free agent.

That’s really their only hope at this point. Hope Tannehill or Garoppolo ask to be waived. Hope the Titans or Raiders will do it. Hope no one claims them on waivers.

What’s in it for the Titans or Raiders? Nothing, unless Tannehill or Garoppolo are claimed on waivers. (The Browns could, in theory, wink-nod promise that they will make a waivers claim.)

Neither Jimmy or Tannehill would hit waivers, though. You touch on it in your first paragraph. The only players to hit waivers are those with less than four accrued seasons. If Tannehill or Jimmy are released, they will just be free agents. The only guy coming to mind immediately is Chandler Jones who was released earlier this year. He didn't have to pass through the wire and was free to sign with anyone. 

EDIT - Pally actually corrects me above. Being released AFTER the trade deadline makes them subject to waivers. That was something I didn't know.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2023, 04:55 PM)pally Wrote: I forgot about the trade deadline.  After the trade deadline, ALL released players go to waivers whether or not they are a vested veteran.  The Bengals don't play dirty so I wouldn't anticipate them putting in a a waiver claim, if this happens, just to prevent the Browns from getting him.  If I were the Giants or Jets though...heck yeah

Makes sense that the Giants or Jets would want him. Of course, Cleveland would be delighted to have him. The Browns have an excellent defense and just need a competent QB to compete. But if he is a free agent when waived, then I guess he can go to whatever team he wants and Tannehill could be an instant winner with either the Jets or Browns.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2023, 05:42 PM)Nepa Wrote: Makes sense that the Giants or Jets would want him. Of course, Cleveland would be delighted to have him. The Browns have an excellent defense and just need a competent QB to compete. But if he is a free agent when waived, then I guess he can go to whatever team he wants and Tannehill could be an instant winner with either the Jets or Browns.

The jets could really screw up the browns plans.. if that is their plans. Jets are thinking playoffs as much as anyone still. With decent QB play, they would be a tough out.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2023, 04:45 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: No. Tannehill wouldn't hit waivers and would just be an immediate FA anyways. 

Yes he would hit the waiver wire. Once the trade deadline passes, all players under contract go to waivers if released. If he clears waivers, then would become free agent.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2023, 09:48 PM)SouthernFan Wrote: Yes he would hit the waiver wire. Once the trade deadline passes, all players under contract go to waivers if released. If he clears waivers, then would become free agent.

Yes, that’s already been established. I was wrong and posted how I didn’t know that several posts below the one you quoted.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2023, 06:03 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: The jets could really screw up the browns plans.. if that is their plans.  Jets are thinking playoffs as much as anyone still.   With decent QB play, they would be a tough out.

Tannehill has a $27m base salary.

$27m / 18 = $1.5m per week x 8 weeks left = $12m

The Jets have $7.48m in cap space left, so they would have to make some moves to open up cap space to add Tannehill. Plus Rodgers is talking about trying to be back in December, which would put Tannehill right back into a backup spot that he is currently asking to be free of.

- - - - -

Teams With At Least $12m of Cap Space Right Now
1. 49ers
2. Browns
3. Commanders
4. Cardinals
5. Bengals

Those are the only teams that could pick up Tannehill's $12m right now without making any other moves to open up cap space.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 01:40 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Tannehill has a $27m base salary.

$27m / 18 = $1.5m per week x 8 weeks left = $12m

The Jets have $7.48m in cap space left, so they would have to make some moves to open up cap space to add Tannehill. Plus Rodgers is talking about trying to be back in December, which would put Tannehill right back into a backup spot that he is currently asking to be free of.

- - - - -

Teams With At Least $12m of Cap Space Right Now
1. 49ers
2. Browns
3. Commanders
4. Cardinals
5. Bengals

Those are the only teams that could pick up Tannehill's $12m right now without making any other moves to open up cap space.

Trade a late round pick pickup Tannenhill, then take a large chunk of his salary and a early round pick to a team that couldn't afford him. Boom more draft capital. They should make me a GM

Oh yea we can't trade lol
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 01:58 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Trade a late round pick pickup Tannenhill, then take a large chunk of his salary and a early round pick to a team that couldn't afford him. Boom more draft capital. They should make me a GM

A GM would know that the trade window is already over. The only way you could get him now is if he was released and thus put onto waivers, and then you'd have to make a waiver claim.

Wink

- - - -

That would have been a wild move for someone to make before the trade deadline, though. A little similar to how the Browns bought a 2nd round pick years back by taking Brock Osweiler's contract from the Broncos and then proceeded to release him. (The Browns used that pick to draft Nick Chubb.)

Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 02:00 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: A GM would know that the trade window is already over. The only way you could get him now is if he was released and thus put onto waivers, and then you'd have to make a waiver claim.

Wink

- - - -

That would have been a wild move for someone to make before the trade deadline, though. A little similar to how the Browns bought a 2nd round pick years back by taking Brock Osweiler's contract from the Broncos and then proceeded to release him. (The Browns used that pick to draft Nick Chubb.)

I literally edited that the second I posted how did you quote me that damn fast. lol
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 02:08 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I literally edited that the second I posted how did you quote me that damn fast. lol

[Image: tenor.gif]

Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 02:24 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: [Image: tenor.gif]

[Image: oui-yes.gif]

And we are definitely last in the division  Cry
Reply/Quote
If Titans release Tannehill, he becomes an unrestricted FA and exempt from waivers. The team willing to pay him the most money for the remainder of 2023 wins in my opinion.

My guess the 6-3 Browns are that team, I don't see us considering it unless Ryan would do it for a couple of million. I see Browns who are a QB away from being aggressive.

My guess no one pays him more than 5 million for rest of 2023. I just don't see any team wanting to sign him beyond 2023.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I think I would rather just lose out with Browning or McCarron to get a top talent in the Draft.

Tannehill is good under Center and doing play action, but I agree that he probably goes to the Stains.
Reply/Quote