Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tanner Hudson Appreciation Post
(11-14-2023, 01:04 PM)Whatever Wrote: The opening drive was really not that great.  We had to convert a 4th down in a sequence where we targeted Hudson 3 out of 4 downs and we're backed up to 3rd and 7 when Joe dropped a dime to a well covered Irwin for a 32 yard TD.  

Hudson is the best receiving TE we have, but he offers little as a YAC threat and is a liability as a blocker, which makes it tough to play him more in a game where you're struggling in pass pro.  He's a guy that should get 3-4 targets a game to keep the D honest and pick up a cheap 1st down or two while they focus on other guys.  He isn't a guy who should be getting 7+ targets a game.

News flash - Bengals don't use TEs much as pass blockers. It's primarily run blocking and running routes.

Sample has the most pass block reps, and it's only 34, which is only about 15% of his snaps.
Collectively, the Bengals TEs have only pass blocked on 42 snaps.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2023, 01:29 PM)ochocincos Wrote: News flash - Bengals don't use TEs much as pass blockers. It's primarily run blocking and running routes.

Sample has the most pass block reps, and it's only 34, which is only about 15% of his snaps.
Collectively, the Bengals TEs have only pass blocked on 42 snaps.

We haven't had to for much of the season.  Even after Sunday's debacle, Burrow still has the 10th lowest pressure % in the league, getting pressured on 18.3% of his drop backs.

In a game where you're down multiple scores in the second half and the QB is getting hammered, it kind of makes sense to plug in your elite pass blocking TE to get the ball downfield to your best offensive weapon.  Then again, for some reason Irv Smith Jr. has to get his reps even though he can't block or catch.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 03:37 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Tanner Hudson continues to impress when given opportunities.
Burrow is looking for him, and he's making receptions.
Hudson is leading the TEs in yardage, YPR, and catch % and he's only been active for 4 games:
Hudson - 126 yards, 9.0 YPR, 77.8% catch
Smith - 89 yards, 6.4 YPR, 70.0% catch
Sample - 52 yards, 6.5 YPR, 72.7% catch
Wilcox - 17 yards, 5.7 YPR, 60.0% catch

Not to get too far ahead, but Hudson could potentially be around a 400-500 yard TE if he got enough opportunities for an entire season, as he's on pace for 31.5 yards per game.

On top of the stats, Hudson also just looks the best as a receiver among the TEs. He doesn't look clunky like most TEs do.

This is cool. Makes me feel better, let's keep Hudson in and keep giving him targets. He looks way better as a pass catcher than 
all the others and this is with limited snaps. Hudson runs pretty good routes and his hands don't seem to be a problem, he isn't
clunky as you say like Drew Sample is, more of a natural route runner.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2023, 02:05 PM)Whatever Wrote: We haven't had to for much of the season.  Even after Sunday's debacle, Burrow still has the 10th lowest pressure % in the league, getting pressured on 18.3% of his drop backs.

In a game where you're down multiple scores in the second half and the QB is getting hammered, it kind of makes sense to plug in your elite pass blocking TE to get the ball downfield to your best offensive weapon.  Then again, for some reason Irv Smith Jr. has to get his reps even though he can't block or catch.

Bengals have been much more typical in recent years to have the RB pass block and have the TE go out for a pass when in big passing situations.
The need just isn't there for a pass-blocking TE in this scheme.
Run-blocking though, absolutely there is a need, and that's why Sample is on the team.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Looks like Hudson is getting more and more of the offensive snap distribution amongst TEs.

In the past three games:
Hudson - 16 snaps, 20 snaps, 21 snaps
Smith - 25 snaps, 21 snaps, 24 snaps (declining from October counts, which were 30-50 a game)
Sample - 26 snaps, 23 snaps, 18 snaps
Wilcox - 10 snaps, 5 snaps, 4 snaps

Looks like Hudson is cutting primarily into Smith's reps. Wilcox's are going down some too.
Sample has been in about the same range (17-28) pretty much all season.

Is there any value in playing Smith over Hudson at this point?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2023, 03:46 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Looks like Hudson is getting more and more of the offensive snap distribution amongst TEs.

In the past three games:
Hudson - 16 snaps, 20 snaps, 21 snaps
Smith - 25 snaps, 21 snaps, 24 snaps (declining from October counts, which were 30-50 a game)
Sample - 26 snaps, 23 snaps, 18 snaps
Wilcox - 10 snaps, 5 snaps, 4 snaps

Looks like Hudson is cutting primarily into Smith's reps. Wilcox's are going down some too.
Sample has been in about the same range (17-28) pretty much all season.

Is there any value in playing Smith over Hudson at this point?

Doesn't look like it. Had higher hopes with Irv this year if he stayed healthy, but Hudson clearly looks better in about every way.

More Hudson, about the same amount of Sample seems to be the best value.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2023, 03:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Doesn't look like it. Had higher hopes with Irv this year if he stayed healthy, but Hudson clearly looks better in about every way.

More Hudson, about the same amount of Sample seems to be the best value.

In the past 3 games, here are Hudson's and Smith's receiving production:
Hudson - 127 yards on 14 receptions (16 targets)
Smith - 32 yards on 4 receptions (6 targets)

As a receiver, Hudson clearly had Burrow's trust over Smith.
Not sure if Browning will have the same trust or not though, but I would assume so.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I like him the most of the 4 tight ends for receiving, not that that is saying much. But they still want to go tight end by committee it seems in the pass game.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Cant complain about Tanner at all.

But can Bengals get a refund on Irv though ?

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2023, 07:33 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Cant complain about Tanner at all.

But can Bengals get a refund on Irv though ?

He only signed for $1.75 mill, so I'm not too worried about that part.
He's definitely the cheapest starting TE the Bengals have had on the roster since probably...Reggie Kelly?
Since Kelly, it's been Gresham, Eifert, Uzomah, Hurst, and now Smith.

My big thing is not forcing Smith to be the starter just because he makes the most $$ among the TEs. It's really not much more than Sample and Hudson.

I know this year is likely over with Burrow's injury, but it would have been nice to see the Bengals get Dalton Schultz last offseason for the same or even slightly more than the Texans paid (1-year, $6.25 mill). He would have been a much better rental.
Luckily, the Bengals have the opportunity this coming offseason to remedy that :)
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Hudson is playing his way into the starter role at least for this season.
Reply/Quote
One of those young players that i could agree with getting more time, Smith was a one year rental that did not work out... how Hudson performs rest of year could help not having to draft a TE high
Reply/Quote
Tanner Hudson had a great catch last Sunday in a very tight zone coverage against a great pair of linebackers. I do want to point out that's 2 years in a row the Bengals had to go to their practice squad for a pass catcher.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-22-2023, 11:48 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: One of those young players that i could agree with getting more time, Smith was a one year rental that did not work out... how Hudson performs rest of year could help not having to draft a TE high

Hudson is actually 29 year old, so he's not young, FWIW.
He just entered the league late (25 years old) and has bounced around a few teams before landing with the Bengals, so he seems like a newer guy to the league.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Personally, I think Tanner Hudson is by far the best TE on this roster.

Is that saying much? no, however, the guy catches anything that's thrown his way and he has the size needed as a TE.

There's no reason Smith should even be on this roster. He's a waste of a roster spot.

I don't think a TE in the 1st round is needed. Keep Hudson and Sample, and draft a TE in the 2nd or 3 rounds.

Bengals need a T or G if they draft Top 10 next season. Just my opinion.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2023, 02:21 PM)TJ528 Wrote: Personally, I think Tanner Hudson is by far the best TE on this roster.

Is that saying much? no, however, the guy catches anything that's thrown his way and he has the size needed as a TE.

There's no reason Smith should even be on this roster.  He's a waste of a roster spot.

I don't think a TE in the 1st round is needed.  Keep Hudson and Sample, and draft a TE in the 2nd or 3 rounds.  

I am leaning toward something similar to this as well, only I'll go one step further and say TE in Rds 3-4...unless Bowers falls the Bengals in Rd 1.

For Rds 3-4, I am waiting to see how they move in comparison to other TEs at the Combine, but I am liking Cade Stover and Ben Sinnott a lot as mid-round options. Maybe Conyers too on Day 3.

I'm ok keeping Sample just for the role he plays, but I want Hudson back first and foremost along with a mid-round TE.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-22-2023, 02:21 PM)TJ528 Wrote: Personally, I think Tanner Hudson is by far the best TE on this roster.

There's no reason Smith should even be on this roster.  He's a waste of a roster spot.

I don't think a TE in the 1st round is needed.  Keep Hudson and Sample, and draft a TE in the 2nd or 3 rounds.  

they're gonna need trenches. None of the guys they have behind the main 4 starting d-linemen are looking like they're panning out. And on the o-line, you're gonna have to replace Jonah, maybe Volson, Karras is gonna be 31, and Cappa looks worse than last year

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2023, 02:28 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I am leaning toward something similar to this as well, only I'll go one step further and say TE in Rds 3-4...unless Bowers falls the Bengals in Rd 1.

For Rds 3-4, I am waiting to see how they move in comparison to other TEs at the Combine, but I am liking Cade Stover and Ben Sinnott a lot as mid-round options. Maybe Conyers too on Day 3.

I'm ok keeping Sample just for the role he plays, but I want Hudson back first and foremost along with a mid-round TE.

You must be reading my mind. 

If you can draft Cade Stover in Round 3 or 4, that'd be a STEAL of the draft. 

The kid catches anything thrown his way, and has the body of a TE.  

However, Hudson has shown to me he can play TE and deserves a spot on this roster going forward. 
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2023, 10:48 AM)ochocincos Wrote: He only signed for $1.75 mill, so I'm not too worried about that part.
He's definitely the cheapest starting TE the Bengals have had on the roster since probably...Reggie Kelly?
Since Kelly, it's been Gresham, Eifert, Uzomah, Hurst, and now Smith.

My big thing is not forcing Smith to be the starter just because he makes the most $$ among the TEs. It's really not much more than Sample and Hudson.

I know this year is likely over with Burrow's injury, but it would have been nice to see the Bengals get Dalton Schultz last offseason for the same or even slightly more than the Texans paid (1-year, $6.25 mill). He would have been a much better rental.
Luckily, the Bengals have the opportunity this coming offseason to remedy that :)

It would be cool if we brought in Schultz in FA this year. 

(11-22-2023, 02:28 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I am leaning toward something similar to this as well, only I'll go one step further and say TE in Rds 3-4...unless Bowers falls the Bengals in Rd 1.

I like Stover and Sinnott in the mid rounds for sure. Not as big of a fan of Conyers but I wouldn't be against him in the 5th.

(11-22-2023, 02:59 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: they're gonna need trenches. None of the guys they have behind the main 4 starting d-linemen are looking like they're panning out. And on the o-line, you're gonna have to replace Jonah, maybe Volson, Karras is gonna be 31, and Cappa looks worse than last year

We need to add at least 1 OL in Free Agency, a RT ideally as I highly doubt we are able to keep Jonah around.

Draft a Center or LG early.

(11-22-2023, 03:34 PM)TJ528 Wrote: You must be reading my mind. 

If you can draft Cade Stover in Round 3 or 4, that'd be a STEAL of the draft. 

The kid catches anything thrown his way, and has the body of a TE.  

However, Hudson has shown to me he can play TE and deserves a spot on this roster going forward. 

Yes, Stover in the mid rounds would be great and we have to keep Hudson even if he is older like Ochocincos said.

A natural pass catching TE for us is rare, haven't really had one since Eifert. I liked Hurst a lot, but he looked a bit stiff at times.

Hudson looks more fluid in his route running to me.
Reply/Quote
The more I see Tanner Hudson play, and hear everyone sing his praises, it is obvious that he needs to be a part of the team the next couple of years. Sign him and Sample and Draft a young guy. Ditch Irv and keep Wilcox around. Makes sense to me, so it probably won’t happen ?
Reply/Quote