Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tanner Hudson back - 1 year deal
They must draft a TE that can block and catch.

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 11:10 AM)CottonHill Wrote: Looks like it’s back to the pre Browning offense where everything is shotgun spread and 70% passes. That got us to 500 with Burrow.

Now do the games in which he was healthy destroying the 49ers and beating the Bills.  

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 11:51 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Love this, but my god I hope they draft a TE w the idea to actually play & develop him into something special.

Have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 11:05 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Super happy Hudson is back.
I think a TE room of Gesicki, Hudson, and Sample is, at minimum, ok to go into the season with and removes the need for getting any TE in the draft if they aren't liking what's falling to them (like last year).

With that said, I still think TE is on the table and we either see 4 TEs on the roster again this season or one of Gesicki/Hudson gets the boot in favor of the draft pick when all is said and done.

Still need another blocking TE, imo. They still go to 2 TE sets in the run game and gotta protect JB as much as possible in play-action.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 12:03 PM)higgy100 Wrote: Still need another blocking TE, imo. They still go to 2 TE sets in the run game and gotta protect JB as much as possible in play-action.

I'm assuming they carry one on the PS bring up if Sample gets hurt, and use Hudson in that role a few times for breathers.  No reason to use a roster spot that can be used for another DB or OL for instance.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 12:03 PM)higgy100 Wrote: Still need another blocking TE, imo. They still go to 2 TE sets in the run game and gotta protect JB as much as possible in play-action.

Hudson was decent at blocking in the opportunities he had.
But if the Bengals care about another blocker, I'd look at one of Sinnott, Stover, or Theo Johnson to add to the TE room.
Sinnott especially because he has experience as a FB/H-B too, so he could add new wrinkles to the run game.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 11:41 AM)bfine32 Wrote: ..and 2 appearances in the AFC Championship game and 1 Superbowl. 

No kidding . Some posters.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
This is a good move.

But again, 2 of our TEs cannot block and are pretty much slot receivers (Gesicki, Hudson). And one who can block but poses no threat receiving.

I'd like at least 1 TE who can do both. But is seems likely we roll with these 3. If we get another TE, it will probably be a Sample type so we have 2 of each. Unless you want to call Wilcox Sample's backup.

NTx2, RT, CB4, WR3, TE1, & P still open in my view. And IOL depth.

OT, WR, & CB draft classes are excellent. NT, TE, and IOL not so much, though there are a few.

In FA, there are no starting level run stuffers out there (I think Tart would be fine as a Tupou upgrade). But still some good/decent options.

OT: Smith, Brown, Nijman, Jones.

WR: Williams, Boyd, Thomas

CB: Gilmore, Nelson
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 11:10 AM)CottonHill Wrote: Looks like it’s back to the pre Browning offense where everything is shotgun spread and 70% passes. That got us to 500 with Burrow.

You're just a ray of frikin' sunshine, eh? Did you watch the games before Burrow got hurt against the Ravens? Did you happen to see the stretch from Arizona to Houston?

Those games had a pass/run ratio% of 56/44, which was down from the yearly averages of 62/38. That's more where they're wanting to go with the offense. And they were 4-1 in those games. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 12:47 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: No kidding . Some posters.

are hoping to keep a healthy star QB on the field.... 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 11:54 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Now do the games in which he was healthy destroying the 49ers and beating the Bills.  

I just had this discussion w my buddy.

The Bengals offense, when healthy, was great. PD Jr showed in article after the season that 9, 1, & 5, when healthy, was best offense in the NFL during that stretch. And, you know what else was really good during that time? ... The defense.

Why? Because the Bengals weren't get the hell beaten out of them in field position & ToP was evened out.

Bengals w healthy Burrow would have gone 3-1 or at worst 2-2 against 4 strong playoff teams. 2 of which went to conference champ games & 1 SB.

Burrow looked like he was ready to roll the Ravens. And, frankly, Boyd choked away that Texans game.

They could have gone 4-0 against top teams w a healthy 9. SHOULD have been 3-1.

The DIDN'T, which is what actually counts. But context matters. I don't understand people ignoring it.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 01:04 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: You're just a ray of frikin' sunshine, eh? Did you watch the games before Burrow got hurt against the Ravens? Did you happen to see the stretch from Arizona to Houston?

Those games had a pass/run ratio% of 56/44, which was down from the yearly averages of 62/38. That's more where they're wanting to go with the offense. And they were 4-1 in those games. 

If they don't want to go to an offense that is going to keep Burrow healthy and up right, then trouble is brewing. 

It's no longer what Burrow wants as an offense. It's what is going to save his career. Everyone outside of this board is talking about Burrow as Luck. Can't mention his name without adding the asterisk *when healthy. 

There's legitimate concern in the NFL world that his ability to stay healthy is a concern. Browning's offense how quickly we forget, may be the most efficient one to keep him healthy. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 10:49 AM)Joelist Wrote: Makes sense and actually sort of supports a theory I have that Gesicki is not envisioned by the team as a TE per se but will line up mostly in slot.
Both are very similar players.Hudson pretty much played exclusively in the slot.I don't see either.As replacements for boyd I see jones as the replacement 
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 01:09 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I just had this discussion w my buddy.

The Bengals offense, when healthy, was great. PD Jr showed in article after the season that 9, 1, & 5, when healthy, was best offense in the NFL during that stretch. And, you know what else was really good during that time? ... The defense.

Why? Because the Bengals weren't get the hell beaten out of them in field position & ToP was evened out.

Bengals w healthy Burrow would have gone 3-1 or at worst 2-2 against 4 strong playoff teams. 2 of which went to conference champ games & 1 SB.

Burrow looked like he was ready to roll the Ravens. And, frankly, Boyd choked away that Texans game.

They could have gone 4-0 against top teams w a healthy 9. SHOULD have been 3-1.

The DIDN'T, which is what actually counts. But context matters. I don't understand people ignoring it.

I’m not even sure what all you are saying here but he was 0-3 vs the division and took an inexcusable loss to the titans where King Henry ran for 122. There were 2 good wins in there where everything looked good.
But the offense was extremely predictable and not able to stay on the field in half the games Burrow started. And when a franchise like this is paying the money we are to Burrow, he has to stay healthy and elite
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 01:34 PM)CottonHill Wrote: I’m not even sure what all you are saying here but he was 0-3 vs the division and took an inexcusable loss to the titans where King Henry ran for 122. There were 2 good wins in there where everything looked good.
But the offense was extremely predictable and not able to stay on the field in half the games Burrow started. And when a franchise like this is paying the money we are to Burrow, he has to stay healthy and elite

He cannot help the injury. I don't think it's reasonable to hold injuries sustained while playing (or sudden illness) against athletes. At least not without context.

Inexcusable loss? Joe Burrow had 1 good leg that Titans game. He couldn't move. He certainly couldn't move well enough for Lou to put him in on defense and stop the Titans from running the ball - I'm being sarcastic. Like, wtf are you talking about with that? 

I understand the mentality behind the idea that if a player is on the field than he is expected to perform regardless of being hurt or not. But come on, man. Burrow had 1 good leg in those first two division losses and virtually ZERO practice leading up to them..... and the fact that you're pinning the 1st Ravens loss on Burrow? Joe Burrow left that 1st Ravens game with 5:49 to go in the 2nd quarter after getting the Bengals ahead and looked great.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 10:46 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

Good news. I really liked what I saw of Tanner Hudson last year in the passing game.

He has knack for finding soft spots in zone coverage and he has good hands and good size. Cool
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 01:34 PM)CottonHill Wrote: I’m not even sure what all you are saying here but he was 0-3 vs the division and took an inexcusable loss to the titans where King Henry ran for 122. There were 2 good wins in there where everything looked good.

And Burrow was healthy in 1 game in the Division against the Ravens and threw a TD pass to take the lead before getting his wrist messed up.

If he is healthy against the Division, they better start putting him under Center more though I agree with that. He couldn't play under Center with
his calf last year for like the first half of the season. The 49ers and Bills games are what the Offense should look like this season or at least I sure 
hope so, it is so much more unpredictable than always being in Shotgun.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 10:49 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: This one actually surprises me with the Gesicki signing. I guess Hudson is just a depth piece.

A TE room of Gesicki, Sample, and Hudson isn't the worst thing in the world.

And after we draft a TE in the draft who knows Hudson may not even make the team he may be on the PS.
Reply/Quote

Some people do not understand the difference of the offense with an injured Burrow versus one with a healthy Burrow.  Im sure if you ask nicely one of these delightful people can break it down for you. 

Reply/Quote
I like Hudson, glad he is back in the TE room.

He gives Bengals more options and also helps if a TE is injured which happens a lot with the TE group in general.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote