Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tanner Roark Extension?
What are your thoughts on offering a short extension? He’s 32 with a lifetime 3.50 ERA, he’s at 3.20 so far this year. He’s on a one year, 10 Mil. Deal. If he’s still on track at the All Star Break, do you offer him a 2 year Deal between 10-12 Mil per year or do you try to sign/ trade for a Proven Ace?
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't be opposed to it at all. I'm running out of hope with Disco. Is Wood gonna make it back ? Mahle has been streaky.

It would be nice to retain Roark, lots of questions after him. Be nice to get a LH starter as well though.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think that Disco is on it’s way out again this year. Mahle is growing into the role and should be an acceptable 4-5 at worst. Poppa Cas and Gray are locked up and are good, that’s 3 for next year. I’ve been predicting that Wood won’t start for the Reds this year but I just read today that he’s feeling good and just needs to build up arm strenth. He says he expects to be back by All Star Break. I would probably try to sign Roark for a couple of years and only have one guy to worry about adding in the offseason. Wood would have to pitch at least a dozen starts with good results before I’d think about bringing him back.
Reply/Quote
I think that if they show any promise whatsoever by the end of the year, then they need to go about acquiring another top of the rotation guy to pair with Castillo and to slot ahead of Gray. If the offense shapes up, then I think that kind of player makes them a contending team for at least a Wild Card, maybe more. Roark is nice, but I'd rather pool resources to get another hammer.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2019, 01:14 AM)samhain Wrote: I think that if they show any promise whatsoever by the end of the year, then they need to go about acquiring another top of the rotation guy to pair with Castillo and to slot ahead of Gray. If the offense shapes up, then I think that kind of player makes them a contending team for at least a Wild Card, maybe more. Roark is nice, but I'd rather pool resources to get another hammer.

They may be able to afford both! Ten for Roark and 15-20 for the Hammer. There’s a lot of money getting freed up at years end.
Reply/Quote
Roark has been just okay like the commercials say. I want better than okay. Maybe offer him another one year deal for $10 million, but not long term.
Get ready for next year!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Depending on Wood's health, either Wood or Roark for another 2 years or so. I am concerned over Disco. The Red's still need another high level pitcher.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Important to remember that while he has a 3.57 ERA for his career, his ERA the previous 2 years is 4.50.... so a bit misleading.

He's pitched more than 5.1 innings only 2 times out of his 11 starts this year. That won't likely get better with age.

Roark also currently has a 1.420 WHIP to go with his career high BB/9, so I am not sure we'll see the 3.20 ERA survive for much longer.

- - - - - - -

The draft is soon, and then Keuchel will lose his draft pick cost. Would much rather spend money on him than Roark.

Castillo
Keuchel
Gray
Mahle
Santillan

Wouldn't be a half bad 2020 rotation at all.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2019, 04:45 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Important to remember that while he has a 3.57 ERA for his career, his ERA the previous 2 years is 4.50.... so a bit misleading.

He's pitched more than 5.1 innings only 2 times out of his 11 starts this year. That won't likely get better with age.

Roark also currently has a 1.420 WHIP to go with his career high BB/9, so I am not sure we'll see the 3.20 ERA survive for much longer.

- - - - - - -

The draft is soon, and then Keuchel will lose his draft pick cost. Would much rather spend money on him than Roark.

Castillo
Keuchel
Gray
Mahle
Santillan

Wouldn't be a half bad 2020 rotation at all.

I’m hearing that the Yankees, Twins, Brewers and Cardinals are currently in a bidding war over Keuchel. I would say that it’s very unlikely that he’s a Red. I’m guessing that one of those teams will pony up for a multi year deal too. Santillan May very well be overrated. He’s got a 3.66 career ERA and basically averages a hit per inning. His numbers are similar to Roark’s but he’s facing minor leaguers instead of the big boys. He hasn’t been excellent or even very good. He has been above average against lesser hitters. It’s time that the Reds spend some money and attempt to win a championship, its been 29 years. They need to pick up someone similar to a Keuchel and keep or pickup someone similar to a Roark. Santillan is a very big unknown and should be a backup plan. I’m tired of a huge unknown being the main plan, he should be a backup plan if the team is serious about winning a Championship. Their Roster just needs tweaked a bit.They’re gonna need some relief help by the deadline too if they’re gonna try to compete for a playoff spot this year. Fans will be pissed if they decide that they are sellers again this year.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2019, 09:35 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: What are your thoughts on offering a short extension? He’s 32 with a lifetime 3.50 ERA, he’s at 3.20 so far this year. He’s on a one year, 10 Mil. Deal. If he’s still on track at the All Star Break, do you offer him a 2 year Deal between 10-12 Mil per year or do you try to sign/ trade for a Proven Ace?

If it were up to me, I would not consider a trade of Roark at All-Star Break.  Main reason is you can't count on Wood.  He had a good 2017 season for Dodgers but was injured most of 2018 and now 2019.  When he has pitched, he was not the 2017 Wood.  Why do you think Dodgers included him in 3 player trade for Homer Bailey who they quickly traded to Kansas City. So you can't count on Wood.  

Roark and Gray are giving Reds the pitching help they need in 2019 and why stop that halfway through season.  Ride it out all season. If Wood comes back, even better in 2019. 

As for 2020, we are seeing pitchers coming up from the minors doing good.  It could be Reds in 2020 have to go with a rookie or 2 because it is there time to move up.  Now the bad injury to that superstar draft pick pitcher hurts and Reds now need to consider keeping whoever does best of the Roark, Gray, Wood group of Vets they brought in.  That bad injury to the top pick superstar pitcher in minors is a huge setback to Reds. 

If you look up pitchers who put up innings over the last 3 years, Roark is bear the top.  Roark year after year eats innings and puts up a decent ERA and that helps the bullpen do it's job. He is the most dependable of the 3 vet pitchers brought in. 

Now if Reds go in a slump and have no hope at trade deadline, and some team makes an offer they can't refuse for Roark, OK.   However if Reds are still hanging in the race, I would keep Roark rest of 2019 season.   Now Roark in 2020 depends on the money and if they can sign him at fair market price. He is not a superstar. If he was, he would not have ended up on the Reds.  For a fair price, signing Roark would be a good move considering injuries to Wood, the superstar in minors, Gray has had injuries, many of these Reds pitchers have had injuries.  Roark is a pretty dependable starter if he can be signed at a fair market price.  If him and his agent want to much, forget about it.  

So unless there is great reason to trade Roark at deadline, Don't.   The Reds probably better off to let him be a Red all of 2019.  Reds have gotten good deals on players in past for 1 or 2 seasons.  Tony Fernandez played for Reds on the cheap a year or 2. Same with Billy Hatcher, Cameron, Choo.  Reds paying Phillips millions to play a full year with Braves was stupid and they deserved to finish last.  You reverse that and get other teams players on the cheap.  It is an old baseball tradition and you can look at Reds rosters from 1900 to 2019.  Many young guys who never panned out & many old vets past their prime needing a team.  Of course many of those old vets that ended up on Cincy weren't getting the millions.  So it comes down to Roark and his Agent and Money Ball on Roark here in 2020.   

I would keep Roark all 2019.  Forget the trade deadline for the most part.   The Reds have sold off the team at deadline last 3 or 4 years accepting Last Place in July, but Reds really need to get their rear ends out of Last Place.  This thing of trading for mostly money under the table and having all these years of remembering Reds years ago ceremonies is NOT as good as Winning, and Reds need to try to get out of Last Place NOW. 

I have hopes the Reds are doing better at Money Ball with moves they made for 2019. The last few years Reds were just stupid on some of their trades and paying players like Phillips to play for other teams. Why would you pay somebody millions to play for another team, that is stupid. I think Reds are getting smarter in their moves, and they need to if they ever hope to get out of Last Place.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2019, 11:56 AM)kevin Wrote: If it were up to me, I would not consider a trade of Roark at All-Star Break.  Main reason is you can't count on Wood.  He had a good 2017 season for Dodgers but was injured most of 2018 and now 2019.  When he has pitched, he was not the 2017 Wood.  Why do you think Dodgers included him in 3 player trade for Homer Bailey who they quickly traded to Kansas City. So you can't count on Wood.  

Roark and Gray are giving Reds the pitching help they need in 2019 and why stop that halfway through season.  Ride it out all season. If Wood comes back, even better in 2019. 

As for 2020, we are seeing pitchers coming up from the minors doing good.  It could be Reds in 2020 have to go with a rookie or 2 because it is there time to move up.  Now the bad injury to that superstar draft pick pitcher hurts and Reds now need to consider keeping whoever does best of the Roark, Gray, Wood group of Vets they brought in.  That bad injury to the top pick superstar pitcher in minors is a huge setback to Reds. 

If you look up pitchers who put up innings over the last 3 years, Roark is bear the top.  Roark year after year eats innings and puts up a decent ERA and that helps the bullpen do it's job. He is the most dependable of the 3 vet pitchers brought in. 

Now if Reds go in a slump and have no hope at trade deadline, and some team makes an offer they can't refuse for Roark, OK.   However if Reds are still hanging in the race, I would keep Roark rest of 2019 season.   Now Roark in 2020 depends on the money and if they can sign him at fair market price. He is not a superstar. If he was, he would not have ended up on the Reds.  For a fair price, signing Roark would be a good move considering injuries to Wood, the superstar in minors, Gray has had injuries, many of these Reds pitchers have had injuries.  Roark is a pretty dependable starter if he can be signed at a fair market price.  If him and his agent want to much, forget about it.  

So unless there is great reason to trade Roark at deadline, Don't.   The Reds probably better off to let him be a Red all of 2019.  Reds have gotten good deals on players in past for 1 or 2 seasons.  Tony Fernandez played for Reds on the cheap a year or 2. Same with Billy Hatcher, Cameron, Choo.  Reds paying Phillips millions to play a full year with Braves was stupid and they deserved to finish last.  You reverse that and get other teams players on the cheap.  It is an old baseball tradition and you can look at Reds rosters from 1900 to 2019.  Many young guys who never panned out & many old vets past their prime needing a team.  Of course many of those old vets that ended up on Cincy weren't getting the millions.  So it comes down to Roark and his Agent and Money Ball on Roark here in 2020.   

I would keep Roark all 2019.  Forget the trade deadline for the most part.   The Reds have sold off the team at deadline last 3 or 4 years accepting Last Place in July, but Reds really need to get their rear ends out of Last Place.  This thing of trading for mostly money under the table and having all these years of remembering Reds years ago ceremonies is NOT as good as Winning, and Reds need to try to get out of Last Place NOW. 

I have hopes the Reds are doing better at Money Ball with moves they made for 2019. The last few years Reds were just stupid on some of their trades and paying players like Phillips to play for other teams. Why would you pay somebody millions to play for another team, that is stupid. I think Reds are getting smarter in their moves, and they need to if they ever hope to get out of Last Place.
I think that they will stay in the wildcard race and will keep Roark this year. As far as keeping one of Roark, Gray or Wood... Gray has already been extended and will start next year. Castillo, Gray and Mahle should be locks for next year, Disco is about out of chances. I wasn’t as pumped about drafting Greene as most were. High school pitchers take so many years to develop, throw in an injury or two and they may never get there. I don’t like the plan of just filling out the rotation with minor league question marks. The money is there and the there’s enough talent on the team to add proven starters. The future is now and next year, the fans are past any 3-5 year plan. Tweaks to this roster and this is a pretty good team.
Reply/Quote
I'm not stoked on Greene either unless he comes back next year and blows everyone away, but so far he hasn't done that at any level in the low minor leagues much less big leagues.. Drafting a kid pitcher that high and toss in TJ surgery? That sounds like a pig in a poke.. Should have gone with a strong college arm or better college hitters like Senzel, but they wiffed as far as I can tell so far with Greene. I may be wrong, but unless he develops big next year it'll be just another shot in the dark that didn't pan out. 
I don't know where Roark will be next year, but I'm betting it isn't with the Reds. I'm pretty much done with Diso at this point. Mahle on the other hand still holds a lot of promise. When he's on he's very good. He just needs to learn to be more consistent in starts.
I just don't see the Reds playing big money ball any time soon. They've really lucked out with  waver wire and low end free agent hitters a few times of late, but I doubt Iglesias will be back and Dietrich? Who knows? He's still here one more season. Iglesias hired a new agent this year after the minor league offer so he'll be looking to get paid well for his services. I don't know the Reds can match the big money teams to keep him.. I don't know how Santillan will pan out. A 3.xx era in AAA doesn't bode well to me for the bigs..Sims might be another story. We'll see..
Just because fans want the team to make trades doesn't mean they'll get the players we want. Pitchers are so unpredictable.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote