Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Target Hurst
the reason Uzomah was open downfield was because it was SCHEMED that way. You know when Boyd just runs a go route in the middle of the field and is just magically wide open? Because it was schemed that way

Hurst is a better receiver than Uzomah in practically every way
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2022, 11:12 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Hurst is a better receiver than Uzomah in practically every way

x2
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2022, 10:48 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Touched Taylor down although Taylor gave himself up. Guess he thought he touched him too hard?

I can’t recall but I like what I saw lol
Reply/Quote
Hurst is such an upgrade when I am watching the TE play and he chipped Burns the best DE on the Panthers
and pretty much took him out of the game. I want Hayden Hurst back for an extension, hope we can get it done.

That first catch, damn. Cannot say how much I like Hurst, same as Cappa today and La'el is back it looks like. Smirk
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2022, 07:07 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Hurst made incredible catches today to keep drives alive.  Catches that CJ would never make even though some on here cant see a difference......

There is nothing to dislike about Hurst and so happy the Bengals brought him into the fold. 

People said he could not block but he seems willing to do whatever it takes to help the team. 

At half the price of CJ too, brilliant move by Bengals                                                  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote

Imagine arguing this dude wouldn’t be an upgrade over CJ…

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2022, 12:04 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hurst is such an upgrade when I am watching the TE play and he chipped Burns the best DE on the Panthers
and pretty much took him out of the game. I want Hayden Hurst back for an extension, hope we can get it done.

That first catch, damn. Cannot say how much I like Hurst, same as Cappa today and La'el is back it looks like. Smirk

I would be careful with a Hurst extension. His yards per catch since he came into the league...

Both his yards before catch and yards after catch have both dropped every year in the league. He will be in his age 30 season in 2023.

The Bengals need to find a more long-term solution at TE.

(11-09-2022, 01:10 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:
Imagine arguing this dude wouldn’t be an upgrade over CJ…

What is his average separation? Auden Tate was also very good at contested catches, because he didn't get enough separation to get uncontested ones.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2022, 02:04 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: What is his average separation? Auden Tate was also very good at contested catches, because he didn't get enough separation to get uncontested ones.

Idk but dude is getting 1st downs at a really nice clip. That’s all we really need from him when we have the weapons we do at WR. He also already has the same # of TD’s as a Bengal through 9 games as Tate did in 35.

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2022, 02:04 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I would be careful with a Hurst extension. His yards per catch since he came into the league...

Both his yards before catch and yards after catch have both dropped every year in the league. He will be in his age 30 season in 2023.

What is his average separation? Auden Tate was also very good at contested catches, because he didn't get enough separation to get uncontested ones.
Always need to find a long-term solution at every position, but this guy just moves the sticks.

He can get down field if needed, that's just not what they are using him for currently.  I'd definitely lock him up to a team friendly deal.

Also, although I'm not a big Sample fan I wonder how much him being out has hindered the running game?
Reply/Quote
a TE is not supposed to be a deep threat. They're there to be safety blankets and move the chains

you guys will complain about anything
Reply/Quote
Hayden Hurst has been playing great and has made some really nice catches. He's even been blocking well the last few weeks
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2022, 02:38 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Idk but dude is getting 1st downs at a really nice clip. That’s all we really need from him when we have the weapons we do at WR. He also already has the same # of TD’s as a Bengal through 9 games as Tate did in 35.

Yep. Don't need a big play TE. 5-7 catches a game, move the chains a few times and a TD here and there. He's doing exactly what Thad Moss did for LSU in '19.

He's filling the role the Bengals need in a TE. And he seems to be really happy doing it. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2022, 01:01 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: a TE is not supposed to be a deep threat. They're there to be safety blankets and move the chains

It really all depends upon the philosophy of the offense being implemented.  In Zac Taylor's offense, sure the TE is an afterthought.  In an Andy Reid, Sean Peyton or Bill Belichick offense, they are considered primary weapons.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2022, 02:04 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I would be careful with a Hurst extension. His yards per catch since he came into the league...

He should be affordable then. lol on the Auden Tate comparison. They don't even play the same position.

Sorry TLL, didn't talk me out of a Hurst extension, he does his job and does it well and even is blocking well as Synric said.

This is something I didn't expect from him and his hands are as sure as it gets. Hurst can be clutch for us, something we need
in our TE, getting first downs when we need them the most.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2022, 01:01 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: a TE is not supposed to be a deep threat. They're there to be safety blankets and move the chains

Exactly, Higgins and Chase are our deep threats....
Reply/Quote
A TE doesn't have to be a deep threat, but they need to give you more than a running back.

There are 31 TEs with at least 15 catches so far this year. Hurst's 8.0 AVG is 30th. The only guy who had worse was Minnesota's Irv Smith Jr who missed all of 2021 with a knee injury, and they went out and traded for a TE at the deadline.

It's not that Hurst's lack of yardage per catch is mediocre, mediocre would be fine, it's that it's truly terrible. Even if we start extending this out to last year... Out of 88 TE seasons 2021-2022 with at least 15 receptions, Hurst's 8.0 AVG in 2022 is 85th.

The fact that it's gone down significantly every year of his career should be alarming, and predates him being in Taylor's offense.

Reply/Quote
(11-06-2022, 02:47 PM)Cosmokramer Wrote: Hes gotta get open first.  hes a good route runner, athletic and big with good hands,  but hes gotta get some distance and get open

This.

Hurst has run routes on 77% of Bengals pass plays.  That's a lot of chances to catch balls.  And we know that #9 is an equal opportunity QB.  Get open, and you'll get the ball.

Hurst has given the Bengals exactly what they need from the position.  NFL Countdown needs to stay in their lane.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2022, 02:59 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: A TE doesn't have to be a deep threat, but they need to give you more than a running back.

There are 31 TEs with at least 15 catches so far this year. Hurst's 8.0 AVG is 30th. The only guy who had worse was Minnesota's Irv Smith Jr who missed all of 2021 with a knee injury, and they went out and traded for a TE at the deadline.

It's not that Hurst's lack of yardage per catch is mediocre, mediocre would be fine, it's that it's truly terrible. Even if we start extending this out to last year... Out of 88 TE seasons 2021-2022 with at least 15 receptions, Hurst's 8.0 AVG in 2022 is 85th.

The fact that it's gone down significantly every year of his career should be alarming, and predates him being in Taylor's offense.

I bet his YPC goes up as the season goes on if the running game is good. Plus, Chase coming back should open up big plays
in the passing game for everybody else if Defenses continue to try and double Chase. That is a very low YPC but there are lots
of factors going into why it is so low. When I am watching the player out there, I don't see a player falling off cause of age.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2022, 02:59 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: A TE doesn't have to be a deep threat, but they need to give you more than a running back.

Uzomah being open downfield those 3 or 4 times in 2021 had everything to do with the play scheme. Uzomah straight up can not do what Hurst is doing in 2022. Which is be a reliable consistent tight end who moves the chains
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2022, 03:51 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Uzomah being open downfield those 3 or 4 times in 2021 had everything to do with the play scheme. Uzomah straight up can not do what Hurst is doing in 2022. Which is be a reliable consistent tight end who moves the chains

1. Why are you bringing up Uzomah? I didn't want to re-sign Uzomah in the offseason and I was on board with signing Hurst as a cheap gap TE. My posts had nothing to do with Uzomah.

2. Since you seem obsessed with Uzomah, I will point out that he got a 1st down on 63.3% of his receptions last year. Hurst is currently getting a first down on 47.4% of his receptions this year. 

Reply/Quote