Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
11yr Old Shoots Home Invader
(09-09-2015, 02:24 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: We have been wondering when to start fire arms training with ours.   How old was your daughter when you started?

It was about a year ago.  I started teaching her safety long before that. 

It's a very large responsibility, and I wasn't going to actually let her handle and shoot a loaded weapon until I believed she was mature enough to handle it.  My daughter is very mature for her age, which also played a key role in the decision.
(09-09-2015, 02:55 PM)jakefromstatefarm Wrote: It was about a year ago.  I started teaching her safety long before that. 

It's a very large responsibility, and I wasn't going to actually let her handle and shoot a loaded weapon until I believed she was mature enough to handle it.  My daughter is very mature for her age, which also played a key role in the decision.

If you have firearms in the home, safety training should occur as soon as they are able to understand it. Of course, the first version of that will be "do not ever touch these" and progress from there as they age. It is hard to judge how to progress from there, because it is so specific to the child. I have owned a firearm since birth and can't remember a time before I was plinking with a .22, but that's not going to be the same for everyone.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(09-09-2015, 03:12 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: If you have firearms in the home, safety training should occur as soon as they are able to understand it. Of course, the first version of that will be "do not ever touch these" and progress from there as they age. It is hard to judge how to progress from there, because it is so specific to the child. I have owned a firearm since birth and can't remember a time before I was plinking with a .22, but that's not going to be the same for everyone.

That was pretty much how it went. 

They were locked up for a long time.  Now that she's matured enough, there is one gun that's not locked up for emergencies that she has access to if need be.  
(09-09-2015, 03:22 PM)jakefromstatefarm Wrote: That was pretty much how it went. 

They were locked up for a long time.  Now that she's matured enough, there is one gun that's not locked up for emergencies that she has access to if need be.  

I used to teach rifle shooting merit badge and it amazed me the number of boys I gave their first safety lesson to.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(09-09-2015, 05:07 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I used to teach rifle shooting merit badge and it amazed me the number of boys I gave their first safety lesson to.

That's sad....especially if any of them grew up in a home with firearms. 

If I had a nickel for every time I heard "the gun is ALWAYS loaded" growing up, I'd be a rich man.
(09-09-2015, 02:55 PM)jakefromstatefarm Wrote: It was about a year ago.  I started teaching her safety long before that. 

Thanks for sharing. Appreciate it very much.
(09-09-2015, 03:12 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: If you have firearms in the home, safety training should occur as soon as they are able to understand it. Of course, the first version of that will be "do not ever touch these" and progress from there as they age. It is hard to judge how to progress from there, because it is so specific to the child. I have owned a firearm since birth and can't remember a time before I was plinking with a .22, but that's not going to be the same for everyone.

I agree with you. This is why I think there is a legitimate reason to have firearms training in public schools. Or at least a safety course be mandatory and then let them take an optional elective in PE.
(09-10-2015, 01:03 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I agree with you.   This is why I think there is a legitimate reason to have firearms training in public schools.   Or at least a safety course be mandatory and then let them take an optional elective in PE.

This is how it is, in my neck of the woods.
They offer a state recognized hunter safety course.
They actually shoot pellet rifles, in the school gym. (may have changed by now though)
I enjoyed it, but got upset that the teacher would not let me qualify from more than one shooting position per day.
:snark:
(09-10-2015, 02:43 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: This is how it is, in my neck of the woods.
They offer a state recognized hunter safety course.
They actually shoot pellet rifles, in the school gym. (may have changed by now though)
I enjoyed it, but got upset that the teacher would not let me qualify from more than one shooting position per day.
:snark:

Our county schools used to do that, not the shooting part as you never actually need to handle a firearm for our hunter safety course. Don't know if they still do. Now, I used to shoot firearms at school because I was on the JROTC rifle team. That was good times.

(09-10-2015, 05:23 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Our county schools used to do that, not the shooting part as you never actually need to handle a firearm for our hunter safety course. Don't know if they still do. Now, I used to shoot firearms at school because I was on the JROTC rifle team. That was good times.

My daughter's bf is JROTC.  Hes never mentioned needing to shoot a rifle, although I'd bet a dollar he has based on his upbringing.  I'll have to ask about that.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(09-10-2015, 05:51 PM)GMDino Wrote: My daughter's bf is JROTC.  Hes never mentioned needing to shoot a rifle, although I'd bet a dollar he has based on his upbringing.  I'll have to ask about that.

When I was in high school it was only for those on the actual team that competed. Some schools did air rifles, some did small bore. We did both because we had the resources and land to do it.