Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Target removes gender based signage for kids
(08-11-2015, 12:41 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Apparently they're doing it because of myself and Rosie ODonnell. At least that's what bfine says Mike said.

Yes, he did assert that you, Rosie, and those of similar ilk are the impetus for the change.

My bad: Yeah that’s what he said.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(08-11-2015, 12:57 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: You suggested that I and Bernie are ruining the country, so I retaliated in kind, so don't play stupid about Rosie.

Stores use overhead gender specific signs to help customers find things more efficiently in the stores. Because a few people have complained over 1 sign, now the majority of people that stop there will be have to waste time trying to find the correct aisles that holds the items associated to their kids.

Now who is going to pay for this?

Target?

I assume they have an advertising budget for buying new signs occasionally.  I bet its not that hard (or expensive) to get a new one.

But then it always come down to money, doesn't it?  It never matters if the change is for good or just for the sake of change.

Can't have any change if it costs a dollar or two!  
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(08-11-2015, 12:57 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: You suggested that I and Bernie are ruining the country, so I retaliated in kind, so don't play stupid about Rosie.

Stores use overhead gender specific signs to help customers find things more efficiently in the stores. Because a few people have complained over 1 sign, now the majority of people that stop there will be have to waste time trying to find the correct aisles that holds the items associated to their kids.

Now who is going to pay for this?

Target usually pays for their own signage, I think.

Also, are you only capable of finding a building set for a little girl if the building sets aisle also says "girls building sets"?

Lol?
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(08-11-2015, 11:44 AM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: Come on man.  None of you all can truly believe that Target runs their business at the whims of others.  Companies such as Target/Walmart/Costco and other large big box stores have budgets that they create to remodel existing stores every so often.  If you think for a second this remodel didn't fall into sync with the existing schedule to do so, as well within the budgeted amount agreed upon years ago, well then you should stay faaaar away from making any business decisions for anything other than a mom and pop shop.  Even then I would argue you shouldn't.

Also if you even for a second don't realize that the company is attempting to maximize their profit by marketing all toys to all children, well then again you should reintroduce yourself to the last two sentences in my first paragraph.

This is such a non-issue it hilarious.  

Yes of course they will work it in with their existing schedule for remodeling, however I'm pretty sure they didn't plan for this in their last budget meeting. This is an added expense on top of what was already planned. Now something else won't be done, or it will be passed on to the consumer or perhaps their employees won't get as big of a raise or a raise at all because of this.

You find this hilarious, but do you really even shop there? How many times have you been there in the last year?
Let's ACTUALLY READ what Target said:

Quote:The retailer announced Friday it will start removing gender-based labeling in several departments — including toys, bedding and entertainment — around the store. The company says the decision comes after feedback and suggestions from customers.

"As guests have pointed out, in some departments like toys, home or entertainment, suggesting products by gender is unnecessary," reads a statement from Target. "We heard you, and we agree. Right now, our teams are working across the store to identify areas where we can phase out gender-based signage to help strike a better balance."

The decision will change elements beyond just the signage in these departments. In the children's toys area of the store, Target plans to remove pink, blue, yellow and green paper on the back of the walls to eliminate references or suggestions based on gender.

The company said Target uses signs and displays to make it easier for guests to navigate the store and shop more efficiently. However, gender-based signs in certain areas was no longer necessary.

"We never want guests or their families to feel frustrated or limited by the way things are presented,"
the statement said.

The move comes after Abi Bechtel, a mother from Ohio, tweeted a photo in June of gender-based signage at a Green, Ohio, Target that sparked a conversation on gender-based signs in the retail stores.

"It stood out to me as a good example of the way our culture tends to view boys and men as the default, normal option and girls and women as the specialized exception," Bechtel told CNN in June.

Customers and Facebook users expressed their views on the statement, signaling satisfaction and disappointment with the retail store.

"This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard," wrote John Wilson. "A boy is a boy and a girl is a girl…and products are specifically made for each."

"Target is not saying that genders don't exist," wrote Amy Severtsen Stanwood. "They are simply recognizing that toys and bedding do not have genders. Mingling superhero action figures with other dolls isn't going to cause children to suddenly question who/what they are."

K?
(08-11-2015, 01:05 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Yes of course they will work it in with their existing schedule for remodeling, however I'm pretty sure they didn't plan for this in their last budget meeting. This is an added expense on top of what was already planned. Now something else won't be done, or it will be passed on to the consumer or perhaps their employees won't get as big of a raise or a raise at all because of this.

You find this hilarious, but do you really even shop there? How many times have you been there in the last year?

Target?  Are you joking?  My wife shops there regularly.  We have two small children.  

Given the fact that budgets are drawn up years in advance for remodeling, they don't actually specify what the exact re-modeling will be in the future just the budget.  This fell inside the budget allocated and cost them no more money than they planned on spending.

The rest of your post is simply unwarranted fears.  This consolidation will actually end up saving them money in the long run given they don't have to create two separate sections and market separately to different genders.
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

(08-11-2015, 01:24 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: Target?  Are you joking?  My wife shops there regularly.  We have two small children.  

Given the fact that budgets are drawn up years in advance for remodeling, they don't actually specify what the exact re-modeling will be in the future just the budget.  This fell inside the budget allocated and cost them no more money than they planned on spending.

The rest of your post is simply unwarranted fears.  This consolidation will actually end up saving them money in the long run given they don't have to create two separate sections and market separately to different genders.

Yes, but what if a girl gets a boys bedding?

Chastity Bono!  That's what!

Ninja
(08-10-2015, 07:15 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: You guys laugh but it gets confusing between girl stuff and boy stuff.  Would be easier if I had a son, but I don't lol.

That's why my fall back is electronics but that gets expensive.

I only have a son, and have never had a difficult time figuring out what is girl stuff and what is boy stuff.
(08-11-2015, 12:59 PM)GMDino Wrote: Target?

I assume they have an advertising budget for buying new signs occasionally.  I bet its not that hard (or expensive) to get a new one.

But then it always come down to money, doesn't it?  It never matters if the change is for good or just for the sake of change.

Can't have any change if it costs a dollar or two!  

Why is this change good?
Shopping at Target just became extremely inefficient.

(08-11-2015, 01:00 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Target usually pays for their own signage, I think.

Also, are you only capable of finding a building set for a little girl if the building sets aisle also says "girls building sets"?

Lol?

I'm sure they do, however, as I have already said, I'm sure Target said in their last budget meeting (6+months ago), hey, we need to plan ahead for this so make sure we have the money allocated in our budget.

If I'm looking for stuff for a Girl I would expect it to be in the MARKED Girls toy section.
Companies spend big money creating and marketing their products towards a gender specific group. Why don't you start complaining to them and get the advertising changed to gender neutral as well? And don't forget the packaging while you're at it.
(08-11-2015, 01:55 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Why is this change good?
Shopping at Target just became extremely inefficient.

I'm sure they do, however, as I have already said, I'm sure Target said in their last budget meeting (6+months ago), hey, we need to plan ahead for this so make sure we have the money allocated in our budget.

If I'm looking for stuff for a Girl I would expect it to be in the MARKED Girls toy section.
Companies spend big money creating and marketing their products towards a gender specific group. Why don't you start complaining to them and get the advertising changed to gender neutral as well? And don't forget the packaging while you're at it.

Maybe this one is or isn't...its just the excuse always given to fight any change:  might cost money.

And if you read what Target announced they decided this after some time.

Have some faith in capitalism.
(08-11-2015, 01:55 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: If I'm looking for stuff for a Girl I would expect it to be in the MARKED Girls toy section.

I didn't realize girls only played with "girl toys".

(08-11-2015, 01:52 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: I only have a son, and have never had a difficult time figuring out what is girl stuff and what is boy stuff.

I don't have a problem figuring it out either, but you're missing the point.
You won't be able to use the signage to get to the specific area you need to quickly. You're going to have to wander around and look for what you need.

That's inefficient shopping. Not all shoppers have a lot of time to waste wandering the aisles looking for specific items. Some customers will get frustrated by this and will leave with out buying what they intended to buy.
(08-11-2015, 02:03 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I don't have a problem figuring it out either, but you're missing the point.
You won't be able to use the signage to get to the specific area you need to quickly. You're going to have to wander around and look for what you need.

That's inefficient shopping. Not all shoppers have a lot of time to waste wandering the aisles looking for specific items. Some customers will get frustrated by this and will leave with out buying what they intended to buy.

It's inefficient to have an aisle labeled as "Building Sets" and "Girl's Building sets"

(08-11-2015, 02:03 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: You won't be able to use the signage to get to the specific area you need to quickly. You're going to have to wander around and look for what you need.

I've heard life is a struggle, but jeez you're really having a hard time. Sad
(08-11-2015, 01:58 PM)GMDino Wrote: Maybe this one is or isn't...its just the excuse always given to fight any change:  might cost money.

And if you read what Target announced they decided this after some time.

Have some faith in capitalism.

Uhm some time?
Bechtel's twitter comment is dated June 1, 2015.

That's not much time to consider a change that will cost the company some money. Nope, this is a knee-jerk reaction to the toy-shaming from online trolls. Typically, companies take much longer and spend much more time and money researching a change of this magnitude before implementing it.

Target actually did research this prior to Bechtel's post, guess what??? The majority of their customers preferred that items be labeled by brand, age and gender.

Do any of you actually understand how retail works?

Most of you seem to be missing the point. No one cares what toy your kids play with or likes or wants.
What shoppers care about is how to find it in the store. If they can't find it easily in the store, then they will go to another store where they can find it easily. This move is going to cost Target more than just simple re-modeling costs.
(08-11-2015, 02:03 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I don't have a problem figuring it out either, but you're missing the point.

Man...I think you are capable of realizing that just because they don't divide the toy isle by girls and boys but instead divide it by toy type (Lego's and other building sets/dolls and other action figures) that it will not create anything like the mountainous exasperation you are trying to equate this to.

I could be wrong though....about my first six words.

(08-11-2015, 02:29 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Do any of you actually understand how retail works?

This is hysterical.  

(08-11-2015, 02:29 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Uhm some time?
Bechtel's twitter comment is dated June 1, 2015.

That's not much time to consider a change that will cost the company some money. Nope, this is a knee-jerk reaction to the toy-shaming from online trolls. Typically, companies take much longer and spend much more time and money researching a change of this magnitude before implementing it.

Target actually did research this prior to Bechtel's post, guess what??? The majority of their customers preferred that items be labeled by brand, age and gender.

Do any of you actually understand how retail works?

Most of you seem to be missing the point. No one cares what toy your kids play with or likes or wants.
What shoppers care about is how to find it in the store. If they can't find it easily in the store, then they will go to another store where they can find it easily. This move is going to cost Target more than just simple re-modeling costs.

https://corporate.target.com/article/2015/08/gender-based-signs-corporate

Quote:August 7, 2015

Shop a Target store and chances are you’ll discover something exciting. Maybe it’s a quick-fix mix & match meal your family will love, or the perfect pair of earrings to complete that new outfit.

We love hearing our guests talk, tweet and post about their unexpected Target finds. To help guests navigate our stores, we put a lot of thought into how things are organized. As part of that, we use signs and displays specially designed to help guests get through the store efficiently while pointing the way to more inspiration and great products.

But we never want guests or their families to feel frustrated or limited by the way things are presented. Over the past year, guests have raised important questions about a handful of signs in our stores that offer product suggestions based on gender.

In some cases, like apparel, where there are fit and sizing differences, it makes sense. In others, it may not.

Historically, guests have told us that sometimes—for example, when shopping for someone they don’t know well—signs that sort by brand, age or gender help them get ideas and find things faster. But we know that shopping preferences and needs change and, as guests have pointed out, in some departments like Toys, Home or Entertainment, suggesting products by gender is unnecessary.

We heard you, and we agree. Right now, our teams are working across the store to identify areas where we can phase out gender-based signage to help strike a better balance. For example, in the kids’ Bedding area, signs will no longer feature suggestions for boys or girls, just kids. In the Toys aisles, we’ll also remove reference to gender, including the use of pink, blue, yellow or green paper on the back walls of our shelves. You’ll see these changes start to happen over the next few months.

We thank guests all the time for challenging us to get better at what we do and take the shopping trip to new levels. We’re always listening, and your thoughts and ideas help us make Target, your Target, a better place.

So naturally because they are looking at ways to make things more efficient and inclusive the people in the comments are threatening to never shop there again.
I suggest you don't.  Its gonna take WAY too long.
(08-11-2015, 02:14 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: It's inefficient to have an aisle labeled as "Building Sets" and "Girl's Building sets"

No it's not, there is a ton of sets out there that is already setup with the intent to be for boys. Girls lego sets are fairly new and there's not nearly as many out there. If Grandma's looking for the Hello Kitty set, does she want to have to scan through 2-3 aisles looking for it and then accidentally skip over it because there's only one set available and she just missed it on the shelf because it was put in between the Star Wars and Super Hero sets? Now she's got to find someone to help her, but that's embarrassing and the sales people are usually never around when you need one.

Or would it be easier for her to have the ability to go right to the aisle that she needs and know that it's somewhere on THIS aisle?

IT'S NOT ABOUT WHAT TOY THE KID WANTS, IT'S ABOUT HOW TO FIND IT.
(08-11-2015, 02:47 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: No it's not, there is a ton of sets out there that is already setup with the intent to be for boys. Girls lego sets are fairly new and there's not nearly as many out there. If Grandma's looking for the Hello Kitty set, does she want to have to scan through 2-3 aisles looking for it and then accidentally skip over it because there's only one set available and she just missed it on the shelf because it was put in between the Star Wars and Super Hero sets? Now she's got to find someone to help her, but that's embarrassing and the sales people are usually never around when you need one.

Or would it be easier for her to have the ability to go right to the aisle that she needs and know that it's somewhere on THIS aisle?

IT'S NOT ABOUT WHAT TOY THE KID WANTS, IT'S ABOUT HOW TO FIND IT.

What is a "girl" lego set?  Do people shop for such a specific thing?

Should I be concerned that we didn't do that?