Poll: Does Brandon Tate get Too Much Hate?
Yes
No
Maybe so
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tate Hate
Hey guys, been a while since I've posted. How about this season?!? Bengals looking pretty sharp at the moment, but there's never a shortage of things to ***** about so I figured I'd come back and squawk at you guys Tongue

Onto the man of the hour-BRANDON TATE! Why have so many called for his head so frequently in the past? Why is it that just because Adam Jones(statistically one of the best return men in NFL history) is more explosive that Tate is hot trash? Why is it that people used to LOOOOOVE them some Dez Briscoe, Ryan Whalen, Cobi Hamilton, and Armon Binns but despise Tate? What gives? Has he finally redeemed himself in some fans' eyes with making a great catch against the Chiefs?
Reply/Quote
Tate has made plenty of bone heads, none of which have been made up by exceptional plays. He lacks separation from receivers, or great speed for his size. Sure, that play was pretty incredible but I don't think it diminishes the years of questionable efforts he has given.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2015, 01:10 AM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: Tate has made plenty of bone heads, none of which have been made up by exceptional plays. He lacks separation from receivers, or great speed for his size. Sure, that play was pretty incredible but I don't think it diminishes the years of questionable efforts he has given.

Totally disagree, has made many more smart plays than bad on all special teams,  i love adam jones on returns but will take Tate all day for crucial catch on punt returns.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2015, 01:16 AM)Anderson HOF Wrote: Totally disagree, has made many more smart plays than bad on all special teams,  i love adam jones on returns but will take Tate all day for crucial catch on punt returns.

Fair enough. Agree to disagree. I WILL say he has made some really great punt catches. I also wasn't speaking on behalf of Adam Jones, who is another discussion/situation in itself. 

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
Hate is overstating it but the criticism isn't without rational basis. I've been one of his detractors, though always admitting he is a better receiver than return man. It is mostly because his mediocrity keeps us from displaying better talent. Other guys perform better with the same return unit but he still gets the snaps. He is resting more on his reputation than recent performance, and for me and other over-achiever types, we know we can do better and don't want to settle for middling performance. Don't tell me how his average returns compare to others in the league, that comparison is as much a comparison of special teams players, coaches, and execution of the unit as a whole, as it is about the guy holding the ball. The real question is if he makes the most of the opportunities given, and that one is impossible to measure objectively. To my eyes it seems he does less with the opportunities than others might. Also I think his running style is part of the "problem", he is just boring to watch. That isn't a fair way to judge, and I may be guilty of that.

If Adam Jones is one of the best ever, he should be on the field instead. Right?
Reply/Quote
I understand all the questions about Tate being on the roster, but you've got to give him one thing ... he's got great hands. I've heard it said many times that the coaches are very enamored of his ability to catch the football. His great play Sunday showed it again, plus he had the presence of mind to get it into the end zone.

Pac is great to have back there sometimes because of his much greater home run threat, but then again, we shouldn't be risking him all the time because of his value to the regular defense. And anyway, give Tate a little love. The man made a big play!

Bottom line with me: used wisely, this combination is pretty damn good.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2015, 12:57 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Hey guys, been a while since I've posted.  How about this season?!?  Bengals looking pretty sharp at the moment, but there's never a shortage of things to ***** about so I figured I'd come back and squawk at you guys  Tongue

Onto the man of the hour-BRANDON TATE!  Why have so many called for his head so frequently in the past?  Why is it that just because Adam Jones(statistically one of the best return men in NFL history) is more explosive that Tate is hot trash?  Why is it that people used to LOOOOOVE them some Dez Briscoe, Ryan Whalen, Cobi Hamilton, and Armon Binns but despise Tate?  What gives?  Has he finally redeemed himself in some fans' eyes with making a great catch against the Chiefs?

Preseason hype over certain players. They want to see young players come in and do well. That's why some people loved those players. They are unknown, rather than what we know we have with Tate.

Tate made an amazing play, but my opinion on him remains the same.
Reply/Quote
The guy does a lot of things good and nothing exceptional.

Hes a great 4th or 5th WR and a sure handed kick and punt returner.
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
My yes vote is a reflection on the Cincinnati fan base more than on the player.  It seems like a lot of Cincinnati fans like to hate their players, more so than fans of most other teams. 
Reply/Quote
Tate is just an average player. Returning kicks, he does his job. All I ask is that he doesnt fumble and is smart about returning kicks and he does that. So I cant hate on him as a returning.

As a receiver though, he doesnt bring much to the table.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
He made a great catch last Sunday, but really does not bring much to the table as a receiver (the reason he hardly ever sees the field). He has good hands as a returner, but seems to make a ton of bone headed plays and is not very fast. How often do we see him fair catch a punt inside the 10 yard line?
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2015, 10:03 AM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: He made a great catch last Sunday, but really does not bring much to the table as a receiver (the reason he hardly ever sees the field).  He has good hands as a returner, but seems to make a ton of bone headed plays and is not very fast.  How often do we see him fair catch a punt inside the 10 yard line?

Thats my biggest pepeve with him. Catching the ball inside the 10. Just let it go and take the chance it rolls into the endzone and you get it at the 20. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
It may be fate that Tate gets less hate as of late, especially if he keeps making plays at this rate his stats are certain to inflate.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I voted that he gets too much hate. Not every player can be a superstar or even a starter. He has fulfilled his role on the team pretty well and is serviceable for sure.
Reply/Quote
Tate is one of the working bees. As the guy above said, you can't have superstars at every position. He probably doesn't deserve the "omg cut him, Tate sucks!!!!" that he gets a lot, but he's still not that great despite the numbers that 2-3 of his supporters will bring up in every Tate discussion. There is more to being good at football than what the stat sheets have to say.

Tate got bashed a lot after a year where he seemingly made a lot more poor decisions than usual, and that has stuck with him. I can't remember the exact year, but it's basically the Rey Maualuga effect. Rey was BAD that one season (2012? 2011? one of those), and now a lot of people trash the guy. There are better KR/PR/WRs out there, same with MLB, and I don't think people are wrong for asking for an upgrade on a message board, but these guys have been solid role players lately. Let's see what they end up doing over a full season before calling for their heads again. Players like this need evaluated on a year by year basis depending on how they perform compared to who is available in free agency and what our other draft needs may be.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2015, 01:10 AM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: Tate has made plenty of bone heads, none of which have been made up by exceptional plays. He lacks separation from receivers, or great speed for his size. Sure, that play was pretty incredible but I don't think it diminishes the years of questionable efforts he has given.

you havent watched much of tate several games he gave us a shot to win with great timely returns.

He hasnt been featured much on offense... But i cant remember any TATE play costing us a game.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2015, 10:27 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Thats my biggest pepeve with him. Catching the ball inside the 10. Just let it go and take the chance it rolls into the endzone and you get it at the 20. 

thats the thing most of you dont understand.. if the coverage is there you gotta catch it or its possible to have it pinned deeper...

ill take it @ the 10 over the 2 any day
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2015, 11:30 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: thats the thing most of you dont understand.. if the coverage is there you gotta catch it or its possible to have it pinned deeper...

ill take it @ the 10 over the 2 any day

No, the general rule is the let it go if it is inside the 10.  Why do you think the vast majority of returners do this?
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2015, 11:56 AM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: No, the general rule is the let it go if it is inside the 10.  Why do you think the vast majority of returners do this?

And we know what TATE is TOLD to do? And how often do you see teams getting pinned @ the 2 or inside the 5 it happens and i would still take the ball @ the 9 or 10 than inside the 5 any day any drive.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2015, 12:07 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: And we know what TATE is TOLD to do?  And how often do you see teams getting pinned @ the 2 or inside the 5 it happens and i would still take the ball @ the 9 or 10 than inside the 5 any day any drive.

Why are the only options being pinned inside the 5 or having the ball at the 10?

Someone could just as easily say "I'd rather have the ball at the 20 than at the 10", right?

We don't really know what any/many of the players are TOLD to do on a specific play, we just see what else happens around the league and then put the blame wherever we decide it should go on each separate instance. Nobody on here knows for 100% fact when Hue or Marvin deserve the blame for a mistake that a player gets criticized for, so should we just stop discussing football on here for that reason?
Reply/Quote