Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tate & Hubbard making impressions
(06-13-2018, 05:44 PM)Wyche Wrote: This was always my knock on him as a Seminole....his speed.  But man, kid has some hands, and is a constant threat in the redzone.  As Tswigz says....would be nice if he could bulk up and play some TE.

Is he slower than Jim Harbaugh was?

Harbaugh (speaking to coach Holtz at the end of their season):  "Coach, what should I work on in the off season, maybe my speed?"

Coach Holtz:  "Jim, if you ran a foot race against a pregnant woman - you would finish third"

Speed discussion always reminds me of that Lou Holtz story in one of his Doctor Lou segments.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2018, 04:43 PM)Bengalholic Wrote:

Wow. Joe Mixon is a lot slower than I thought. Lol.
Reply/Quote
Hearing this about Hubbard excites me and agree with others that if Tate could make switch to TE that would be cause for excitement as well.

At WR just do not see him cracking roster without any injuries per his speed.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
He may be slower than a snail on sandpaper Ninja - but Tate continues to make plays:

Reply/Quote
(06-14-2018, 12:30 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Hearing this about Hubbard excites me and agree with others that if Tate could make switch to TE that would be cause for excitement as well.

Housh was far from being a burner, but he was one hell of a possession receiver.  Hands like glue, body tough as nails.  (Not trying to say they're similar, just an example of a WR without great speed that was valuable)

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I love the fact Hubbard played Safety, makes the entire Defense more unpredictable when he is on the field.

Not easy covering a RB like Mixon who is pretty much a Receiver out there. I could see us unleashing Lawson on the QB
and dropping Hubbard into coverage at times and this being very effective. Much better in open space then Lawson being
a former Safety.

Think Tate should make the team just to help us in the Red Zone. The way he pin points the ball with his size can be very
useful. Don't care if he is slow as long as he is making TD's.
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2018, 10:59 AM)BengalD Wrote: Is he slower than Jim Harbaugh was?

Harbaugh (speaking to coach Holtz at the end of their season):  "Coach, what should I work on in the off season, maybe my speed?"

Coach Holtz:  "Jim, if you ran a foot race against a pregnant woman - you would finish third"

Speed discussion always reminds me of that Lou Holtz story in one of his Doctor Lou segments.

LOL, don't think he's THAT slow!

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-14-2018, 12:55 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: He may be slower than a snail on sandpaper Ninja - but Tate continues to make plays:

Tate was STELLAR at doing that in Tallahassee.

Reply/Quote
(06-13-2018, 05:48 PM)Nately120 Wrote: So we have a blazing fast top 10 pick in Ross and a noticeably slow 7th round WR in Tate? This just got interesting.

(06-14-2018, 07:19 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: [Image: ec0fa4571c9c319b1eab543cb09b55d6.jpg]

Put 'em on the field at the same time. Call it the Tortoise and the Hare package.
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2018, 12:55 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: He may be slower than a snail on sandpaper Ninja - but Tate continues to make plays:

There's track speed, and game speed. Let's see how he does with pads on and 'in game' situations. Could be the only disappointed ones will be the defenders after watching him move the chains or score.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
Anquan Boldin wasn't terribly fast and he had a pretty good career. Heck, he's from the same school as Tate.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2018, 12:21 AM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Anquan Boldin wasn't terribly fast and he had a pretty good career. Heck, he's from the same school as Tate.

I could buy into that
Reply/Quote
Well we now know that Tate will be the receiver that gets hyped up before the season and everyone will think hes the next big thing until he gets no playing time on the field. Happens every year lol.
Reply/Quote
You don't have to be a TE to do TE-esque things in the red zone or 3rd down. If he does the "little things" like run blocking well, I could easily see him making the roster as the backup slot guy. 

Hubbard having some coverage ability is intriguing - maybe him and Lawson could allow for some exotic wrinkles in the coming years - stuff that didn't work so well with MJ and Dunlap. 
Reply/Quote
i covet speed at WR like the next guy. who doesnt right?
but speed sure as heck didnt keep Bennie Brazil or Mario Alford on the roster.
Auden Tate has from accounts the ability to grab balls out of the air and secure the catch with body control.
Core Erickson simply cannot duplicate that.
catch radius cant be overstated.
its awfully hard to defend a 6'5 WR with long arms and strength.
2nd 4 throw a quick slant to Tate whos gonna win that battle..Tate or the CB?
Tate will move Erickson and Core to the out of work line
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2018, 11:06 PM)JumboTron Wrote: I feel Hubbard will end up being everything we wished Margus Hunt was.

Hunt was BIG and powerful. Hubbard has a lot of SKILLS.  quite different. Hunt might have played some DT. Hubbard could better play some LB
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2018, 08:20 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Well we now know that Tate will be the receiver that gets hyped up before the season and everyone will think hes the next big thing until he gets no playing time on the field. Happens every year lol.

True....but this guy really can catch about everything thrown his way. Ask any Seminoles fan.  Translating to this level remains to be seen of course.

Reply/Quote
Hubbard was always overshadowed at OSU by the Bosa brothers, but this kid is a player. He not some project/lottery ticket like Margus Hunt. Hubbard can play and will be a solid player for 10+ years for the Bengals. As for Tate at TE, not sure he'd be able to handle the blocking duties.
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2018, 04:45 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: If he makes the team he should only be in red zone packages i wish he was even bigger could convert to a hybrid TE

Sometimes you can make up shortness with physical ability,  like being able to jump as high or higher than someone taller/bigger than you. Hopefully Tate can do this too.
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2018, 12:30 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Hearing this about Hubbard excites me and agree with others that if Tate could make switch to TE that would be cause for excitement as well.

Let's add them up:

AJ Green
Ross
Boyd
Malone

Those are guaranteed

Then add in order of likelihood to be on the roster:

Lafell
Core
Erickson?
Tate?
Bunch of guys I don't know?

If they keep 6, it will most likely come down to Core vs Erickson vs Tate.  I think Erickson might be in trouble with other guys vying for the special teams role he previously filled. 

I like Core a lot, but he is one year removed from being a FA (that was fast) and I think if it is close, they may go with a guy like Tate because of rookie contract status.  He could be very good in the red zone.  Lafell is the one I am not a fan of at all, but they seem to love him.  I would much rather spend that money on a veteran LB, and keep Core and Tate, but that's just me.  
Reply/Quote