Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tate Time
His failures as a Redzone threat is a head scratcher.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Higgins is practicing today.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2021, 10:33 AM)ochocincos Wrote: While they are difficult to be around normally, it's especially bad when they're playing against your team.
They taunt when their team is winning and get ultra-aggressive when their team is losing.

Sounds a lot like the crowd at Paul Brown Stadium.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Higgins will play.

Regardless, this should be the Drew Sample Coming Out Party. I’m thinking 1 catch, 2 yards and a PFF grade of barf.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(09-23-2021, 08:07 PM)jj22 Wrote: With Higgins status looking all but set according to Hobspin...

https://www.bengals.com/news/quick-hits-monday-night-win-over-steelers-became-bengals-recruiting-poster-mixon

We are going to need Tate to step up if big Sunday. The only other wideout I'd trust in there as the 3rd is Irwin. And I'm not quite sure what that says about our depth if Tate can't finally make the leap.

The rookie interior will be active.

I don't understand the nervousness with using Tate.

With Burrow's accuracy, Tate's 6'5" body, his leaping ability, and his uncanny ability to catch everything he reaches, he doesn't need separation or to be a speed demon.

Just throw it too high for CBs to catch and it's automatic!
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 06:11 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: I don't understand the nervousness with using Tate.

With Burrow's accuracy, Tate's 6'5" body, his leaping ability, and his uncanny ability to catch everything he reaches, he doesn't need separation or to be a speed demon.

Not counting the hold on Trey Hopkins, Tate had 2 catches for 32 yds .vs the Steelers..Hopkins holding call negated a solid route and a 18 
Yd gain. Tate catches everything thrown his way. 
He deserves more snaps in the offense
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 06:32 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Not counting the hold on Trey Hopkins, Tate had 2 catches for 32 yds .vs the Steelers..Hopkins holding call negated a solid route and a 18 
Yd gain. Tate catches everything thrown his way. 
He deserves more snaps in the offense

We agree, but many don't.

Their reason, lack of separation and speed.

We agree impactplaya, those 2 things are pointless with his size, jumping, and catching ability.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 06:11 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: I don't understand the nervousness with using Tate.

The guy he was filling in for yesterday does everything Tate can do, but even better. Auden Tate is a (some) fan favorite, and he made a coupla plays when this team had no WRs in 2019, but he's gonna be buried behind the top 3... I like it that way.

Now Chris Evans on the other hand...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Tate should be used occasionally in certain games.

Just as Evans should be given more PT too(screens, short routes & rushing).

Since the TEs are used primarily as blockers in this current offense... why not?

People always moan about not enough targets for these other players but they can be useful.

Fred is right though. Tate shouldn't be a starter on this team unless the corps have been depleted.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 09:06 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Tate should be used occasionally in certain games.

Just as Evans should be given more PT too(screens, short routes & rushing).

Since the TEs are used primarily as blockers in this current offense... why not?

People always moan about not enough targets for these other players but they can be useful.

Fred is right though. Tate shouldn't be a starter on this team unless the corps have been depleted.

Yep... To me Tate is a poor man's Tee Higgins. While Evans seems to bring some things to that table that neither Mixon nor Perine have. I'm not saying he should start, but damned if he hasn't shown something at every opportunity he's had.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Tate made some nice grabs yesterday and Hop got one taken away. I like the guy.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 08:50 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: We agree, but many don't.

Their reason, lack of separation and speed.

We agree impactplaya, those 2 things are pointless with his size, jumping, and catching ability.
WRs are like like anything else in life ....fruit, buildings, cars, trucks...They all.come in.different
Shapes and sizes. Each has unique traits that if used right can be effective in the right
Situation. 

Im.a huge Tee Higgins fan. Being a lifelong Vol fan its always extra cool when the Bengals
Can draft a UT player. Very glad he was there for the drafting
But I like Auden Tate also. 7th RD pick who was raw coming from FSU.

Yeah I.get it . he's not a burner speed merchant. But thats not his game. 
Everyone says he cant seperate or he lacks speed. 
If speed was everything then Mario Alford and Phil Dorsett would have set the league on.fire

But Auden Tate does a couple things pretty well. He catches the ball away from.his body 
He has strong hands. You never see the ball ripped out of his hands or punched out
He has good footwork getting both feet inbounds.
He is aware of where the 1st down marker is...
He knows how to use his radius. 

The thing about Tate is...and people dont get this....if you let him.play less than 15 snaps
A game...how is he supposed to find a rhythm or  a groove and get better? 
The one year he got some real playing time 72% of his grabs went for 1st downs
With garbage QB play.
Fast foward to 2021
He gets in the game for a snap or 2 then.he is removed. 
Then he might go in later....
You.dont get better by watching 95% of the game. 
Id like to see him thrown the ball with his momentum going straight
As in stride on a seam route or skinny post.
People talk about his lack of  seperation. 
Alot of "separation" in the NFL is about getting schemed proper to get open
Zac is not too good in.scheming his targets to get open unless its 
A go.route but that usually is just based on pure speed and the CB getting smoked
On bad techniques
Reply/Quote
According to snaps, the Bengals see Tate and Thomas both as #4s and i'm sure they will continue to split snaps that way for the rest of the season.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 11:56 PM)impactplaya Wrote: WRs are like like anything else in life ....fruit, buildings, cars, trucks...They all.come in.different
Shapes and sizes. Each has unique traits that if used right can be effective in the right
Situation. 

Im.a huge Tee Higgins fan. Being a lifelong Vol fan its always extra cool when the Bengals

If speed was everything then Mario Alford and Phil Dorsett would have set the league on.fire

But Auden Tate does a couple things pretty well. He catches the ball away from.his body 
He has strong hands. You never see the ball ripped out of his hands or punched out

The thing about Tate is...and people dont get this....if you let him.play less than 15 snaps
With garbage QB play.
Fast foward to 2021
A go.route but that usually is just based on pure speed and the CB getting smoked
On bad techniques

I'm confused... being a lifelong Vols fan, how could you not know Higgins played at Clemson? Shocked Shocked Shocked
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2021, 08:45 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm confused... being a lifelong Vols fan, how could you not know Higgins played at Clemson? Shocked Shocked Shocked

I meant he was fron Tennessse. Sometimes your mind races too fast recalling info. 
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2021, 09:17 AM)impactplaya Wrote: I meant he was fron Tennessse. Sometimes your mind races too fast recalling info. 

Gotcha.... I was like "what am I missing" 
Reply/Quote
Tate can be an effective WR against teams who play a lot of zone defenses. Speed is less of a factor, it is about finding holes in the middle of the zone and he is a huge target. His weakness is separation one on one. But, he does have great hands and ability to out jump DB's. He is not a bad 4th or 5th receiver.

Due to the emergence of Chase, I see teams playing more zone against the Bengals in the future.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2021, 12:31 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: According to snaps, the Bengals see Tate and Thomas both as #4s and i'm sure they will continue to split snaps that way for the rest of the season.

The both block well and are limited with WR skill. It makes sense.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Tate is good as a #4 option and spot starter but not much more. If you were going to give him more targets then who would you take away from? The top 3 WRs are all really good so this is the best this team can do for Tate.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 11:56 PM)impactplaya Wrote: WRs are like like anything else in life ....fruit, buildings, cars, trucks...They all.come in.different
Situation. 

With garbage QB play.
Fast foward to 2021
On bad techniques

So are you suggesting more 4 WR sets, or less snaps for Boyd, Higgins, and Chase? Also the season that Tate played a good amount of snaps, the Bengals tied for their worst record in franchise history.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote