Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tate Time
(09-28-2021, 01:51 PM)jason Wrote: So are you suggesting more 4 WR sets, or less snaps for Boyd, Higgins, and Chase?  Also the season that Tate played a good amount of snaps, the Bengals tied for their worst record in franchise history.

Id have Auden Tate come in for Boyd for a couple snaps...then at some point come in for Higgins for
A couple snaps. 
Tate is just as physical as both of them and Tate 
Has sure hands. And he is a effective stalk blocker
Then inside the red zone I'd feature #19 more. 
Why not have him in the 4-WR sets?
He might present a good mismatch over the other
Teams 4th CB who is probally no bigger than 6'0   
At the very most
Its a 17 game season now. And with Higgie having
A gimpy shoulder you might need to preserve him
And maybe lessen his snaps until he is,100%
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2021, 09:51 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Tate can be an effective WR against teams who play a lot of zone defenses. Speed is less of a factor, it is about finding holes in the middle of the zone and he is a huge target. His weakness is separation one on one. But, he does have great hands and ability to out jump DB's. He is not a bad 4th or 5th receiver.

Due to the emergence of Chase, I see teams playing more zone against the Bengals in the future.

Agreed. Full disclosure, I'm a FSU fan, so I was glad we grabbed him. Not only because he's a Seminole, but because I've been watching the circus catches for a few years now. FSU used him a lot on corner fades, and he brought a lot of them down. Don't know why we don't see it when he's in now.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2021, 12:50 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: Tate is good as a #4 option and spot starter but not much more. If you were going to give him more targets then who would you take away from?  The top 3 WRs are all really good so this is the best this team can do for Tate.

Thomas, plus spell any of the those top 3, TEs.

There is room. 

Depending on game and what defenses come at them.

I'm not a huge Tate fan...  but I get it.

As far as someone insinuating that he should take much game time away from Higgins?

That's a big "nah" for me.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2021, 08:40 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Thomas, plus spell any of the those top 3, TEs.

There is room. 

Depending on game and what defenses come at them.

I'm not a huge Tate fan...  but I get it.

As far as someone insinuating that he should take much game time away from Higgins?

That's a big "nah" for me.

I honestly don't see what's wrong with using Tate like we have the first three games.  Put him in for a few snaps to give guys a breather and throw him the ball if he gets open.   I don't see what the problem is with just passing to the open guy.  We resigned Boyd to $11+ mil a year and drafted Tee and Chase just to force jump balls to back half of the roster guys?

He makes some spectacular grabs, but the reality is he has a career Contested Catch % of 41.9%.  For most WR's, that ranges from low 30's to low 50's, so he's middle of the road in that area.  Some people think separation doesn't matter, but 60% is pretty much the standard for completion % in the NFL and when the top tier contested catchers are only at around 50%, that tells us that jump ball throws to covered guys isn't a strategy conducive to winning.  
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2021, 08:22 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Agreed. Full disclosure, I'm a FSU fan, so I was glad we grabbed him. Not only because he's a Seminole, but because I've been watching the circus catches for a few years now. FSU used him a lot on corner fades, and he brought a lot of them down. Don't know why we don't see it when he's in now.

The whole league doesn't do corner fades anymore; it just doesn't work in today's game frequently-enough, for it to be viable.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2021, 12:18 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: The whole league doesn't do corner fades anymore; it just doesn't work in today's game frequently-enough, for it to be viable.

They ran 3 fades to Tate in the Eagles game last year thinking they had a matchup advantage against their undersized CB's.  The CB made the play on every one.

FWIW, the Bengals are tied for the 6th best red zone TD % this year and Burrow has the highest red zone QBR in the league.  I don't see a need for chucking low% passes to depth WR's down there.
Reply/Quote
I was shocked to read that Sample had more targets vs Green Bay then Tate has had all season. What is really going on with this? Not giving Tate a shot is a true head scratcher. When Boyd came out vs the Steelers maybe or was it the Jags, Thomas got reps with the Offense before Tate.

I know we overrate our players, but Tate can't be this bad (and has kept his roster spot this long).

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2021, 04:58 PM)jj22 Wrote: I was shocked to read that Sample had more targets vs Green Bay then Tate has had all season. What is really going on with this?

QB dont throw to you when your on the bench
Reply/Quote
He hasn't been active? I honestly didn't check.

Reply/Quote
Auden Tate is like a very popular version of Cody Core.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2021, 05:01 PM)jj22 Wrote: He hasn't been active? I honestly didn't check.

He's been active for every game.

His snap counts by game:
Week 1 - 8 offensive, 5 ST
Week 2 - 5 offensive, 5 ST
Week 3 - 27 offensive, 3 ST
Week 4 - 20 offensive, 4 ST
Week 5 - 13 offensive, 7 ST
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Tate was targeted during Burrow’s first early pick against the Packers.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2021, 05:22 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Auden Tate is like a very popular version of Cody Core.

He's contributed when called on far more than Cody ever did.

Reply/Quote
(09-29-2021, 10:53 AM)Whatever Wrote: They ran 3 fades to Tate in the Eagles game last year thinking they had a matchup advantage against their undersized CB's.  The CB made the play on every one.

FWIW, the Bengals are tied for the 6th best red zone TD % this year and Burrow has the highest red zone QBR in the league.  I don't see a need for chucking low% passes to depth WR's down there.

Yeah, fades are tough because you don’t have that athletic mismatch anymore. In college you can have success with fades with big WRs because a smaller corner may not be a good enough athlete to defend it well. In the NFL, even backend corners were really good college corners. That advantage disappears.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2021, 05:42 PM)jj22 Wrote: He's contributed when called on far more than Cody ever did.

Who, Tate?  He has half the yards and they both have 1 TD and Core was at least (apparently) some special teams stud, wasn't he?
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2021, 05:53 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Who, Tate?  He has half the yards and they both have 1 TD and Core was at least (apparently) some special teams stud, wasn't he?

No.

And Tate is 100x better than Core. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2021, 05:53 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Who, Tate?  He has half the yards and they both have 1 TD and Core was at least (apparently) some special teams stud, wasn't he?

Ok, I didn't look so I trust you. I didn't think Core was that productive while here. I barely remembered him. 

Reply/Quote
(10-13-2021, 06:06 PM)jj22 Wrote: Ok, I didn't look so I trust you. I didn't think Core was that productive while here. I barely remembered him. 

AH wait, Tate has twice the yards...either way, they're both pretty NFL irrelevant.  We're just big on Tate because he's here, I wager. My memories of Cody Core are mostly "Why is Core out there? We want Ross!"
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2021, 04:58 PM)jj22 Wrote: I was shocked to read that Sample had more targets vs Green Bay then Tate has had all season. What is really going on with this? Not giving Tate a shot is a true head scratcher. When Boyd came out vs the Steelers maybe or was it the Jags, Thomas got reps with the Offense before Tate.

I know we overrate our players, but Tate can't be this bad (and has kept his roster spot this long).

The only thing I can think of is they were trying to catch GB of guard and get some chunk plays? I mean I doubt they even know who Drew Sample is... The small sample size we have gotten is not very good from Drew. He won't be here next year..
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2021, 05:52 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Yeah, fades are tough because you don’t have that athletic mismatch anymore. In college you can have success with fades with big WRs because a smaller corner may not be a good enough athlete to defend it well. In the NFL, even backend corners were really good college corners. That advantage disappears.

Philly's DB's just played him with inside leverage and he couldn't separate enough to get them out of phase so they just had easy plays on the ball each time.  
Reply/Quote