Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taylor Lewan on prove it deal if cap casualty?
31 year OT Taylor Lewan says he will be cut in the coming weeks. He was injured in week 2 (ACL) and has not been healthy recently. Is he done or maybe worth a look if he will sign a non guaranteed contract if he is cut?

When healthy, he was very good.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2023, 04:39 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: 31 year OT Taylor Lewin says he will be cut in the coming weeks. He was injured in week 2 (ACL) and has not been healthy recently. Is he done or maybe worth a look if he will sign a non guaranteed contract if he is cut?

why wouldnt we just stick to Collins? Same situation and hes already signed
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2023, 04:46 PM)kalibengal Wrote: why wouldnt we just stick to Collins? Same situation and hes already signed

We could, but Lewan was hurt earlier so likely will be ready by training camp, Collins not until after first 6 weeks of regular season

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2023, 04:39 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: 31 year OT Taylor Lewin says he will be cut in the coming weeks. He was injured in week 2 (ACL) and has not been healthy recently. Is he done or maybe worth a look if he will sign a non guaranteed contract if he is cut?

Exact opposite of what we normally look for - over 30 and injured.

Reply/Quote
Lewin was damn good in his prime, one of the best, but an ACL tear is still an ACL tear...

Bolles coming off a broken leg is actually much more likely to come in healthy in TC and is a year younger.

I like Sunset's thought, trade a 3rd round pick for Bolles. But like you said Luvnit, Lewin should be ahead of Collins.

Would be for bringing him in for cheap as well, nothing wrong with having talent like this if they want to get a ring badly.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 03:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Lewin was damn good in his prime, one of the best, but an ACL tear is still an ACL tear...

Bolles coming off a broken leg is actually much more likely to come in healthy in TC and is a year younger.

I like Sunset's thought, trade a 3rd round pick for Bolles. But like you said Luvnit, Lewin should be ahead of Collins.

Would be for bringing him in for cheap as well, nothing wrong with having talent like this if they want to get a ring badly.

I'm afraid Lewan isnt coming cheap, he was asked if he would go to Pittsburgh for 12M and he was a soft maybe...seemed doubtful.

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 08:10 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I'm afraid Lewin isnt coming cheap, he was asked if he would go to Pittsburgh for 12M and he was a soft maybe...seemed doubtful.

Maybe because the stealers may be bottom dwellers for once? Sure as hell hope so lol

But yeah, Lewan won't get more than that especially from us.
Reply/Quote
Hes confirmed to be a free man now (or will be very soon) as hes being released.

That said hes missed a LOT of time over the last 3 years. it might be better to kick other tires.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2023, 03:29 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Hes confirmed to be a free man now  (or will be very soon) as hes being released.

That said hes missed a LOT of time over the last 3 years.  it might be better to kick other tires.

Still for the Garrett Bolles trade Sunset mentioned in his thread over Lewan simply because of the injuries to Lewan and his age.

Just a touch older and more injury history and the Bolles broken leg is easier to come back from being a touch younger.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 08:10 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I'm afraid Lewin isnt coming cheap, he was asked if he would go to Pittsburgh for 12M and he was a soft maybe...seemed doubtful.

Having to go from Nashville, TN to Pittsburgh, PA will give anyone pause. Let alone having to play for what might be a team that'll finish at the bottom of the division.

Not sure if I would want Lewan, though. Much for the same reason I didn't think much of the Riley Reiff signing or the Jonah Williams 5th year option. I want my players available. If we are talking REAL cheap, like $3m quality backup type money, then I will overlook any injury history for talent because you can still afford a quality vet backup plan for them if or when they get hurt. But actual starter money? Nah.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Lewan has played 20 out of a possible 50 games for the Titans in the past 3 seasons.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The fact so many people keep misspelling Lewan is actually frustrating.
Feels like Dunlop all over again.
Shocked
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
FWIW, Taylor Lewan has never had below a 70 pass block rating on PFF other than 2020.
The last time he gave up more than 4 sacks in a season was all the way back to 2015.

Honestly, while Lewan is older and recovering from an injury, he's probably a better stopgap than any of the OTs the Bengals have on the roster right now.
Since he's cut, he won't necessarily have to command a lot of $$.

I'd roll the dice on him, personally.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2023, 01:29 PM)ochocincos Wrote: FWIW, Taylor Lewan has never had below a 70 pass block rating on PFF other than 2020.
The last time he gave up more than 4 sacks in a season was all the way back to 2015.

Honestly, while Lewan is older and recovering from an injury, he's probably a better stopgap than any of the OTs the Bengals have on the roster right now.
Since he's cut, he won't necessarily have to command a lot of $$.

I'd roll the dice on him, personally.

well you cant give up sacks on IR its true....
Reply/Quote
I’ve seen mentions of him most likely retiring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2023, 01:31 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: well you cant give up sacks on IR its true....

I get there's injury concern, but who is going to be available that could be a legitimate upgrade in pass protection that isn't one or more of:
A) 30+ years old
B) coming off an injury
C) expensive

The available draft picks by Pick 28 are likely going to have some questions in some way, shape, or form, plus it's hard to trust a draft pick on OL to come out firing on all cylinders Week 1 of their rookie season.
Guys like Orlando Brown and Mike McGlinchey are going to be very expensive, and the Bengals won't likely pay.
The other available guys in FA with about any competency in pass protection are either going to be coming off injury and/or 30+ years old.

There's going to be some risk/negative involved with any path that is taken.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2023, 01:48 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I get there's injury concern, but who is going to be available that could be a legitimate upgrade in pass protection that isn't one or more of:
A) 30+ years old
B) coming off an injury
C) expensive

The available draft picks by Pick 28 are likely going to have some questions in some way, shape, or form, plus it's hard to trust a draft pick on OL to come out firing on all cylinders Week 1 of their rookie season.
Guys like Orlando Brown and Mike McGlinchey are going to be very expensive, and the Bengals won't likely pay.
The other available guys in FA with about any competency in pass protection are either going to be coming off injury and/or 30+ years old.

He's played in 20 of 50 possible games in the past 3 seasons, it's more than just one injury that we're talking about.  It wouldn't really surprise me if he just decided to retire.  He's earned over $91M in 9 seasons, been an All-Pro, pretty good career accomplishments.  Unless he took a ridiculously low contract to be the swing tackle, in hopes of getting a Superbowl ring, he just might be done.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2023, 01:48 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I get there's injury concern, but who is going to be available that could be a legitimate upgrade in pass protection that isn't one or more of:
A) 30+ years old
B) coming off an injury
C) expensive

a guy like that i would not sign until after the season starts so his salary isnt fully gaurenteed.

I get the talent was there when hes on the field but who knows how often that will be. i wouldnt want to lock up 10 mil on him then him go to IR again.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2023, 01:24 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The fact so many people keep misspelling Lewan is actually frustrating.
Feels like Dunlop all over again.
Shocked

Thought it looked weird when I initially saw it but spelled it the same anyways, terrible by me, just terrible... Mellow

Edit. Mellow
Reply/Quote
I apologize for not spelling Lewan's last name correctly. My OP asked the question if we could get him on a prove it deal? To me a prove it deal is 3 to 4 million a year max.

Reply/Quote