Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taylor, Tobin and the Draft
Remember all the years of everyone complaining we did not have enough scouts, Tobin sucked at drafting, and flat out missing on a lot of high draft picks (looking at you John Ross, Cdric Oggiboggi, Jake Fisher, etc)
Since Taylor came into the building and is working with Tobin:
2019-
1 11 11 Jonah Williams Offensive Tackle Alabama
2 20 52 Drew Sample Tight End Washington
3 8 72 Germaine Pratt Linebacker North Carolina State
4 2 104 Ryan Finley Quarterback North Carolina State Swing and a miss
4 23 125 Renell Wren Defensive Tackle Arizona State
4 34 136 Michael Jordan Guard Ohio State Swing and a miss
6 9 182 Trayveon Williams Running Back Texas A&M
6 38 210 Deshaun Davis Linebacker Auburn Swing and a miss
6 39 211 Rodney Anderson Running Back Oklahoma Swing and a miss
7 9 223 Jordan Brown Cornerback South Dakota State Swing and a miss

2020-
1 1 1 Joe Burrow Quarterback LSU Grand Slam homer
2 1 33 Tee Higgins Wide receiver Clemson Homer[b][/b]
3 1 65 Logan Wilson Linebacker Wyoming Homer over the center field wall
4 1 107 Akeem Davis-Gaither Linebacker Appalachian State
5 1 147 Khalid Kareem Defensive end Notre Dame
6 1 180 Hakeem Adeniji Offensive tackle Kansas
7 1 215 Markus Bailey Linebacker Purdue

2021-1 5 5 Ja'Marr Chase Wide receiver LSU Grand slam
2 14 46 Jackson Carman Offensive tackle Clemson homer
3 5 69 Joseph Ossai Defensive end Texas looks to be a homer
4 6 111 Cameron Sample Defensive end Tulane
4 17 122 Tyler Shelvin Defensive tackle LSU
4 34 139 D'Ante Smith Offensive tackle East Carolina
5 5 149 Evan McPherson Kicker Florida homer
6 6 190 Trey Hill Center Georgia
6 18 202 Chris Evans Running back Michigan
7 7 235 Wyatt Hubert Defensive end Kansas State

So in 2019 we missed on a 4th rounder and a couple of 6th and 7th rounders.
In 2020 every player has stuck on the roster and is contributing unless injured.
In 2021 every player has stuck on the roster and is contributing unless injured.

Same Tobin, same scouting room, same owner from the Marvin Lewis days. I think it's obvious what changed.
I simply cannot wait to see what they bring to us when we are drafting at the end of the round.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2021, 08:32 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Remember all the years of everyone complaining we did not have enough scouts, Tobin sucked at drafting, and flat out missing on a lot of high draft picks (looking at you John Ross, Cdric Oggiboggi, Jake Fisher, etc)
2019-
4 2 104 Ryan Finley Quarterback North Carolina State  Swing and a miss
4 34 136 Michael Jordan Guard Ohio State    Swing and a miss
6 38 210 Deshaun Davis Linebacker Auburn     Swing and a miss
6 39 211 Rodney Anderson Running Back Oklahoma  Swing and a miss
7 9 223 Jordan Brown Cornerback South Dakota State   Swing and a miss

2020-
1 1 1 Joe Burrow Quarterback LSU  Grand Slam homer
2 1 33 Tee Higgins Wide receiver Clemson  Homer
3 1 65 Logan Wilson Linebacker Wyoming   Homer over the center field wall

2021-1 5 5 Ja'Marr Chase Wide receiver LSU   Grand slam
2 14 46 Jackson Carman Offensive tackle Clemson     homer
3 5 69 Joseph Ossai Defensive end Texas         looks to be a homer
5 5 149 Evan McPherson Kicker Florida      homer

In 2020 every player has stuck on the roster and is contributing unless injured.
In 2021 every player has stuck on the roster and is contributing unless injured.

Same Tobin, same scouting room, same owner from the Marvin Lewis days. I think it's obvious what changed.
I simply cannot wait to see what they bring to us when we are drafting at the end of the round.

We are also seeing guys like ADG and Bailey getting more and more snaps and starting to show.  Pratt has played VERY well this year.  Cam Sample is rotating in at DT and DE like a seasoned veteran.  He is a rookie!  Chris Evans has done enough this year to show he belongs, including a massive blitz pick up.  

Let's not forget the potential depth that have almost all seen game time action on the offensive line with Smith, Hill, Adeniji, and Prince.  Those guys are all very young but they are getting snaps and are a key part of the team!   Remember how we rarely played rookies if they weren't the first round pick?  Drafting and developing your talent is how you make the cap work!  

Let's also not forget the brilliant sliding of some slots in rd 2 this past year and picking up 2 additional 4th rounders.  I still can't believe they got a 6th for Finley.  

If Ossai was healthy and producing, the 2021 draft class would be our greatest of all-time, at least from a rookie season standpoint.  Heck, it might still be.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2021, 08:38 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: We are also seeing guys like ADG and Bailey getting more and more snaps and starting to show.  Pratt has played VERY well this year.  Cam Sample is rotating in at DT and DE like a seasoned veteran.  He is a rookie!  Chris Evans has done enough this year to show he belongs, including a massive blitz pick up.  

Let's not forget the potential depth that have almost all seen game time action on the offensive line with Smith, Hill, Adeniji, and Prince.  Those guys are all very young but they are getting snaps and are a key part of the team!   Remember how we rarely played rookies if they weren't the first round pick?  Drafting and developing your talent is how you make the cap work!  

Let's also not forget the brilliant sliding of some slots in rd 2 this past year and picking up 2 additional 4th rounders.  I still can't believe they got a 6th for Finley.  

If Ossai was healthy and producing, the 2021 draft class would be our greatest of all-time, at least from a rookie season standpoint.  Heck, it might still be.  

Yes, that what I'm saying, they are all, each and every one of them, contributing to the team unless they are injured. Some have been major hits, but they were all solid picks who are making splashes and helping the team. You just couldn't ask for any more.
Reply/Quote
Picking as high as we have the last couple years certainly helps…

But you’re not wrong. Outside his first draft, Taylor has been doing pretty well. And if Jonah is our franchise LT for the next decade I don’t even consider that one a complete failure.

They’ve also been crushing it in FA the last couple years. Only Waynes hasn’t worked out. The rest of the guys they’ve brought in have ranged from solid to fantastic.

Reply/Quote
(10-27-2021, 08:47 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Picking as high as we have the last couple years certainly helps…

But you’re not wrong. Outside his first draft, Taylor has been doing pretty well. And if Jonah is our franchise LT for the next decade I don’t even consider that one a complete failure.

They’ve also been crushing it in FA the last couple years. Only Waynes hasn’t worked out. The rest of the guys they’ve brought in have ranged from solid to fantastic.

Picking early certainly helps, but we are crushing it in rounds 3-7
Reply/Quote
...If only they could get Mike Brown involved in the draft a bit more in his senile years.. maybe it's the other way around.. He started out senile and now figured it out.. In any case it's nice to not have to read page after page after page of how horrible they draft and how they never use FAs.. Mellow
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-27-2021, 08:32 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Remember all the years of everyone complaining we did not have enough scouts, Tobin sucked at drafting, and flat out missing on a lot of high draft picks (looking at you John Ross, Cdric Oggiboggi, Jake Fisher, etc)
2019-

2020-

Unbelievable when you see it presented like this.  Excellent work Sled21!

The great thing moving towards the future is we no longer have glaring needs to address, except maybe CB #2.  So they can really focus on depth and upgrading current positions.  How good is that!  

Our skill guys are in place and so young.  Great times to be a Bengal fan again. 

Finally seems like we have a vision!
Reply/Quote
If we're playing baseball, I'm willing to give Chris Evans a solid ground rule double. Good value for a late pick.
Reply/Quote
I’ve been thinking about this exact topic. I think Duke may be in the running for Executive of the Year. And while I know it can be frustrating for us, this is being done without being in salary cap purgatory or the need for constantly redoing contracts.

For the time being at least Cincinnati no longer will have to beg players to come here. Cincinnati will be a destination

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
2019-

2020-

well when you have the 1st overall pick or a top 5 you shouldnt miss.
Reply/Quote
I'd argue that 2019 draft class was even worse.

Jonah Williams is very good, but he was plagued by injuries the first two seasons.
Pratt started out bad, but he's turned into a solid LB. I thought he would have been better sooner.
Sample is in Year 3 and is still a backup (would have been backup last year if not for injury). He's also very uninspiring in the passing game.
Wren has done nothing. I'm assuming the only reason he's not a "swing and miss" on the list is because he's still technically on the team.
Treyveon Williams also hasn't done much.

The 2020 early picks were very good, and those are the most important. None of the Day 3 picks have done much yet, but maybe they will.
I'd consider this a "good" draft.

The 2021 draft really hit on Chase and McPherson.
Carman is coming along, but I knew he'd need some grooming since he's completely changing positions.
I'm excited to see Ossai next year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-27-2021, 09:39 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: If we're playing baseball, I'm willing to give Chris Evans a solid ground rule double. Good value for a late pick.

As a 6th round pick who's already helped us win a game early on as a rookie, I think it looks like a very solid pick thus far. 
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2021, 08:38 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: We are also seeing guys like ADG and Bailey getting more and more snaps and starting to show.  Pratt has played VERY well this year.  Cam Sample is rotating in at DT and DE like a seasoned veteran.  He is a rookie!  Chris Evans has done enough this year to show he belongs, including a massive blitz pick up.  

and to add to this...lets not forget we picked C Evans with that Finley pick...wow. And Rodney Anderson was looking like a keeper before he ripped up his knee again.    
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2021, 09:59 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: well when you have the 1st overall pick or a top 5 you shouldnt miss.

Of course, but what's really impressive are the later rounds. And to be honest quite a few top 5 prospects fail to translate in the NFL?
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2021, 10:20 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I'd argue that 2019 draft class was even worse.

Jonah Williams is very good, but he was plagued by injuries the first two seasons. Jonah came to the team injured, his first year was a wash. But he is the left tackle for the future.
Pratt started out bad, but he's turned into a solid LB. I thought he would have been better sooner. Look at the line he had in front of him last year. He's been really good this year.
Sample is in Year 3 and is still a backup (would have been backup last year if not for injury). He's also very uninspiring in the passing game.
He was drafted to be a blocking TE, not a pass catcher. 
Wren has done nothing. I'm assuming the only reason he's not a "swing and miss" on the list is because he's still technically on the team.
He did not play last year, right? So he's basically a 2nd year player adding depth.
Treyveon Williams also hasn't done much. Yes, he hasn't shaken the injury bug

The 2020 early picks were very good, and those are the most important. None of the Day 3 picks have done much yet, but maybe they will.

Carman is coming along, but I knew he'd need some grooming since he's completely changing positions.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2021, 10:20 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I'd argue that 2019 draft class was even worse.

Jonah Williams is very good, but he was plagued by injuries the first two seasons.
Pratt started out bad, but he's turned into a solid LB. I thought he would have been better sooner.
Treyveon Williams also hasn't done much.

Good breakdown. Drafting Sample second was one of the bigger reaches I've seen by any team in recent memory, and a huge miss considering the talent that was still on the board. That one frustrates me the most.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2021, 11:30 AM)kalibengal Wrote: and to add to this...lets not forget we picked C Evans with that Finley pick...wow. And Rodney Anderson was looking like a keeper before he ripped up his knee again.    

Lets not forget that Finley was picked with 3 draft picks, though. So it's not Finley = Evans... it's really more like Evans = 1 2019 4th rounder and 2 2019 6th rounders, and then zero production for 2 years.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

Agree with everything SHRacer said here. ADG in particular has impressed me, it is just Logan is playing with his head on fire 
and ADG is getting overlooked, same with Pratt who also has been playing very well. But this is our best Draft I can remember
and we will see how good when Ossai, Shelvin and Hubert get a chance to show what they really got.
Reply/Quote
2019-

2020-

Great OP. A couple thoughts.... 

Context. The first year was a bit of a rush job due to the late hire, and really contains the only misses (late rounders), mistake (trading up for Finley), and reach (Sample in Rd 2).  

The last two years were impacted by COVID, but aided by us staffing the Senior Bowl. Also, ZT had a philosophy implemented by then. A type. Culture guys. Winners. Captains. High IQ/coache's sons. I think everyone from the 2nd draft was a team captain, coache's son, or both except for Higgins, who won a national title at Clemson.   

Now, the flip side of installing a new culture is that a lot of the old guard gets moved out, so we should not get too caught up in the fact that all the drafted guys from the last two years made the team. It is still impressive. But what is more impressive is how many genuine contributors we have gotten. 

I kind of divide the draft into two parts. The first three rounds are your main course. You should expect to get guys who can contribute there. The later rounds is more like gravy when you get a good one. And it often takes time for those guys to develop. 

Rounds 1-3. 
1:  J. Williams, Burrow, Chase 
2:  Sample, Higgins, Carman 
3:  Pratt, L. Wilson, Ossai. 

7 starters. Burrow & Chase look like All Pros. Wilson seems to be headed towards a Pro Bowl. Williams has been mostly solid. Higgins & Pratt are solid starters. Carman is developing right before our eyes. Ossai looked brilliant before he got injured, and was gonna be our DE in passing situations along with Hendrickson. Sample was a reach in round 2, but is a solid blocking TE/backup. 

Rounds 4-7. 
4:  Finley, Wren, Jordan, ADG, C. Sample, Shelvin, Smith. 
5:  Kareem, McPherson 
6:  T. Williams, Davis, Anderson, Adeniji, Hill, Evans 
7:  Brown, Bailey, Hubert.  

Rd 4 from 2019 was almost a total whiff, though injuries have limited Wren. Ditto Rd 6 & 7 frim that year and T. Williams with injuries. 2 practice squad guys from 7 picks from Rds 4-7 in 2019 stinks. 

But the next two years have been better. ADG is a solid reserve who could challenge Pratt to start. McPherson is an upgrade at PK, despite the misses vs GB. Evans is more than useful as a 3rd down back. Kareem & C. Sample are acceptable depth on the DL. Bailey & Shelvin stuck, as did Adeniji, Smith, though both got hurt. As did Hubert. And I forgot Hill.

Still, a starter (McPherson), 2 legit contributors (ADG, Evans), 2 rotation guys (Kareem, Sample), and 5 other guys who made the roster (Adeniji, Bailey, Shelvin, Smith, Hill) ain't too bad for 4-7. 
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2021, 01:10 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Lets not forget that Finley was picked with 3 draft picks, though. So it's not Finley = Evans... it's really more like Evans = 1 2019 4th rounder and 2 2019 6th rounders, and then zero production for 2 years.

Finley's play was key in the great tank job of 2019.  Easily worth whatever capital they used to get him.
Reply/Quote