Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taylor Wants A Lot Of Pass Rushers On The Field......
(06-24-2023, 02:58 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I agree with the point and premise of your post, but Reader doesn't actually bat down a lot of passes at all.

He did get a bunch in a short stretch last year, but that has been an outlier:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/ReadD.00.htm

I think he’s valuable despite the lack of sacks in pass rush on passing plays.

9. D.J. READER, CINCINNATI BENGALS

Reader plays a vital role in Lou Anarumo's defense, highlighted by his 85.2 PFF grade in 2022. As a run defender, he has earned grades of 69.0 or better since 2017. He produced a career-high 84.1 PFF pass-rush grade in 2022, registering 32 pressures from 310 pass-rushing snaps.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(06-24-2023, 12:44 PM)Whatever Wrote: Yeah, I don't think it's really that viable.  I can see Hubbard being used as a standup LB to get another potential pass rusher on the field or some 3-3-5 with Hill-Reader-Murphy as the DL and Trey and Sam as OLB's.

They used Hubbard a few times to rush from a inside linebacker spot in 2021(Might have been 2020) but Joseph Ossai has has a year of college experience playing off the ball linebacker so maybe they can have a few packages with him as a blitzer from the second level. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2023, 03:20 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I think he’s valuable despite the lack of sacks in pass rush on passing plays.

Reader plays a vital role in Lou Anarumo's defense, highlighted by his 85.2 PFF grade in 2022. As a run defender, he has earned grades of 69.0 or better since 2017. He produced a career-high 84.1 PFF pass-rush grade in 2022, registering 32 pressures from 310 pass-rushing snaps.

I was agreeing with you ThumbsUp
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
It’s the AFCG and we are up 4 and it’s 4th and goal at the 8. Who you putting in to rush Mahommes?

Trey and Hubbard are locks

I’d go with Trey, Murphy, Hubbard, Ossai.

I’m taking Reader off because if(when) the pocket breaks down and a Mahommes scrambles i want 4 guys who can ***** move and chase
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2023, 03:20 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I think he’s valuable despite the lack of sacks in pass rush on passing plays.

Great to see he’s still trending upwards even nearing 30. Dude has 1 big contract coming up. I could easily see 3 years 50M. Which is around 17M per.

I would regularly say no way in hell we give that, but we are so screwed at DT if he leaves we may have to sacrifice Trey H to sign him
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2023, 11:20 PM)Housh Wrote: Great to see he’s still trending upwards even nearing 30. Dude has 1 big contract coming up. I could easily see 3 years 50M. Which is around 17M per.

I would regularly say no way in hell we give that, but we are so screwed at DT if he leaves we may have to sacrifice Trey H to sign him

Hendrickson is coming up on 30 himself. I like both Reader and Trey, but I think they need to be looking for younger and cheaper replacements for both of them.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2023, 11:32 PM)jason Wrote: Hendrickson is coming up on 30 himself. I like both Reader and Trey, but I think they need to be looking for younger and cheaper replacements for both of them.

We’ve got 2 for Trey already

We’ve got NOTHING so far for Reader

If Trey walks i would not cry if Ossai or Murphy was next up. I really like Ossai’s dual use as a run stopper and a pass rusher. He showed us everything we saw in that 1st preseason game. Just wish he could get a couple more sacks. Feel like 3.5 sacks is low even if you were reserve rusher when you were drafted so high
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2023, 01:20 AM)Housh Wrote: We’ve got 2 for Trey already

We’ve got NOTHING so far for Reader

If Trey walks i would not cry if Ossai or Murphy was next up. I really like Ossai’s dual use as a run stopper and a pass rusher. He showed us everything we saw in that 1st preseason game. Just wish he could get a couple more sacks. Feel like 3.5 sacks is low even if you were reserve rusher when you were drafted so high

Ossai was basically a rookie last year. I think his numbers rise this season... Maybe even double. Our sack total was pretty damn low as a whole. Proven pass rushers weren't getting home last year. Honestly I think Murphy will end up in the 4 to 5 sacks range this year.

I get it... DJ Reader has nobody waiting in the wings, but I can't see paying him that 3rd sizable contract. They need to figure it out.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2023, 05:49 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I agree with both of the bolded above. Team speed can wreak havoc on offenses.

On a side note, I read Carter (who is fast) added 20 lbs. of muscle. He may be overlooked, but with being mentored by DJ and it seems a desire to get better he could be a breakout player for us in 2023.

If Carter has indeed bulked up to 300+ lbs, he will have fully embraced his future as an IDL, which I think is his best fit.
I liked him as a mid-round prospect but knew he had some refinement and bulking up to do as a rookie before he would really start becoming effective.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-23-2023, 03:50 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I know Lou runs the defense, but Zac said that they want as many pass rushers on the field as possible!

Taylor thinks they can find packages to get all our pass rushers on the field:

It's not letting me copy and paste the article, but it mentions how we have Murphy, Hendrickson, Ossai, and Hubbard, and then DJ Reader mentions how no one remembers sacks in the first quarter but they do remember them in big moments.

He also mentions how pressuring the quarterback to make bad throws or make quick decisions, which I have always argued is sometimes better than a sack, is something that they try do to.

Mike Hilton mentions how it does make their lives easier.

I'm excited for this because, like the Giants showed in the first Super Bowl win over the Pats, a good pass rush is the best way to stop even the most explosive offense in NFL history.

I remember when the Giants had linemen and linebackers standing around the line pre-snap so the Pats never knew where the rushers would come from or who would come.

I'm loving it because, with an improved line, we'll score a lot and force teams to throw the ball to keep up, so a pass rush is very important!

WHO-DEY!

If we can have a top pass rush look out. Amazing the success we have had the last couple years with only Hendrickson as a top 
pass rusher and a poor OL. If the trenches can be great on both sides this is the best team in the league no question. Murphy was 
a steal at 28, he is so strong and has yet to touch his potential. He can learn a lot from Hendrickson before he leaves who is a more
disciplined pass rusher who knows how to use his hands.

If Murphy can learn to go inside the Tackle more often instead of being washed outside he could be a great pass rusher, he is already
a very good run stopper, a lot like Hubbard in this way who is maybe the best run stopping EDGE in the NFL.

Everybody knows how high I am on Ossai. He was just coming on late last season and showing what I thought he could be.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2023, 01:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: If we can have a top pass rush look out. Amazing the success we have had the last couple years with only Hendrickson as a top 
pass rusher and a poor OL. If the trenches can be great on both sides this is the best team in the league no question. Murphy was 
a steal at 28, he is so strong and has yet to touch his potential. He can learn a lot from Hendrickson before he leaves who is a more
disciplined pass rusher who knows how to use his hands.

If Murphy can learn to go inside the Tackle more often instead of being washed outside he could be a great pass rusher, he is already
a very good run stopper, a lot like Hubbard in this way who is maybe the best run stopping EDGE in the NFL.

Everybody knows how high I am on Ossai. He was just coming on late last season and showing what I thought he could be.

I've been with you on Ossai and I think he'll surprise a lot of teams.

Putting Murphy inside would be nasty and just make our pass rush something to fear on third-and-long because they'd all just be teeing-off.

I mentioned how Murphy is getting stronger and more fit and, at only 21, he still has so much room to grow and get better,

Our defense is going to be exciting this year,
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2023, 01:54 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I've been with you on Ossai and I think he'll surprise a lot of teams.

Putting Murphy inside would be nasty and just make our pass rush something to fear on third-and-long because they'd all just be teeing-off.

I mentioned how Murphy is getting stronger and more fit and, at only 21, he still has so much room to grow and get better,

I think a pass rush of Trey, Reader, Murphy and Ossai would be solid. I’m not ready to go all nascar because Watson and Lamar can just take off. I love how Reader collapses the pocket.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(06-26-2023, 01:54 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I've been with you on Ossai and I think he'll surprise a lot of teams.

Murphy moving to the inside on 3rd and long could be insanely effective with his strength. If say Zach Carter grows into a good 3-tech 
this DL could be a force. That is what we have been missing since Geno hurt his shoulder. Time for that inside pass rush to disrupt 
opposing Offenses and make QB's uncomfortable.

The only concern I have with the Defense is our new Safeties as it will take time with Dax and either Scott or Battle to gel. But a great
pass rush will only help them.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2023, 02:11 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I think a pass rush of Trey, Reader, Murphy and Ossai would be solid. I’m not ready to go all nascar because Watson and Lamar can just take off. I love how Reader collapses the pocket.

Hubbard helps with those running QB's. Dude is great at spying the QB.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2023, 02:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hubbard helps with those running QB's. Dude is great at spying the QB.

And I like the hell out of him as a spy. But I don’t think he’s as good as Ossai or Murphy as a pure pass rusher.

Reply/Quote
(06-26-2023, 02:40 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: And I like the hell out of him as a spy. But I don’t think he’s as good as Ossai or Murphy as a pure pass rusher.

Believe Hub is asked to contain a lot which he does very well. Think if turned loose he would be a better pass rusher.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2023, 11:36 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: True but Lou is awful versatile and dynamic. I’d expect he’ll find the right pieces to make it more dynamic and versatile with the first 3 rookies drafted.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/film-room/2023/lou-anarumo-cincinnatis-defensive-wizard

This is a really bad typo 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2023, 08:06 PM)Go Cards Wrote: This is a really bad typo 

LOL

awfully; very.
"we're an awful long way from the main road"

Reply/Quote