Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taylor admits mistakes on Clock Management
Ben Baby (@Ben_Baby) Tweeted:
Zac Taylor said he didn't handle two play clock issues well:

1. The third-and-2 deep inside Seattle territory that lead to a delay of game.

2. The challenge on the incompletion in the first half. Clock was running down so he just threw the flag.

I find it interesting that Taylor was quick to admit his own mistakes to the public and makes me like him more. I don’t think I’ve ever heard ML admit his own mistake on clock management. With more experience under his belt, he’s gonna improve in those situations and I’m all for it.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
Stuff like this matters. What has been the key point of emphasis this offseason that we've heard about for months? ACCOUNTABILITY. I think it sends a great message to the players that he's holding himself accountable just like he holds his players accountable.

...but chances are someone will just jump in and yell "Marvin wasn't that bad at clock management! LEAVE MARVIN ALONE!" here so we'll lose sight of that pretty quick, lol.
Reply/Quote
Marvin would say we have to tackle and block better
"Hey Marvin explain the delay of game in the 3rd q.
Down at the Ravens 19 yard and then
You elected to punt ??"
"Well that's jounalist jargon and the clock watcher needs
To watch it better and we need to tackle and block better.
The delay of game was because I told John Ross to run
A go route and the safties were giving us a 3 rob look
And I felt if he was a decoy I could run a screen pass
To Gio with hoping Mosley would take false steps"

But you punted Marv at the 19

Oh yeah well I felt field position was critical and
I think Vontaze could have elevated our defense
As he watched from the sideline with his 348th suspension.
He could inspire Hardy to make a tackle 9 yards past the sticks
Reply/Quote
Marvin is a narcissist by nature. These types of individuals can't learn from their mistakes because they truly believe in their mind is somebody else or even the situations fault.

Love to hear ZT self-assessing his shortcomings. That's how you develop and ultimately show leadership. Model concept.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yep, gotta hold yourself accountable, if you are going to others at a high standard.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Self critiquing. Crucial to great success and not everybody does it.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I'd like to think that Taylor is a lot like me in this regard.

And the first time i make a mistake, i'll prove it.  Mellow

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
That's good on him for taking the blame. I was going to blame the piss poor time management in the redzone at the beginning of the game on our rookie QB.

Was watching the replay last night. Really burns my ass Dalton obviously knew he was running out of clock and after how many years in the league couldn't call a freaking time out??!! Sure the coach could have called it. But you are the QB Andy. Get your head out of your ass and quit choking so much in high pressure situations. We'll chalk it up as a rookie mistake. Delay of game should have been called on us again the very next play.
Reply/Quote
Definitely refreshing to see a coach admit he screwed up.

That said, I didn’t mind the challenge if it was even a remotely close play. We were going to burn the TO so might as well make sure they had the right call. Sure it could burn us if we run out of challenges but is rare, especially with scoring and turnovers and last two minutes reviews coming from the booth
Reply/Quote
Am I the only one who was mad about his timeout call around the 3 minute mark in the 4th quarter, our last timeout, on 2nd and around 5? I thought it was a bad one.

I thought the challenge on the Ross catch was good. looked like a completion to me.

The delay of game should have been stopped though. I was surprised that Dalton did not call a timeout for that one.

Loud stadium, 1st game, confusion happens. I'm pretty sure Seattle had more false starts than us though
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 03:22 PM)milksheikh Wrote: Ben Baby (@Ben_Baby) Tweeted:

2. The challenge on the incompletion in the first half. Clock was running down so he just threw the flag.

I find it interesting that Taylor was quick to admit his own mistakes to the public and makes me like him more. I don’t think I’ve ever heard ML admit his own mistake on clock management. With more experience under his belt, he’s gonna improve in those situations and I’m all for it.

It is refreshing.

Clock management never seemed to be all that important to Marvin, nor were timeouts sometimes.

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 03:22 PM)milksheikh Wrote: Ben Baby (@Ben_Baby) Tweeted:

[Image: EEOYRimWsAEsM1m?format=jpg&name=medium]

Reply/Quote
He also needs to admit his mistake of trying to run a draw with Gio on third and one from the shotgun instead of lining Dalton up under center so Gio would at least have momentum and for not having Andy run a QB sneak on third OR fourth down.

It is good to finally have a coach smart enough to self-analyze his game management and learn from his mistakes.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 09:05 PM)Kingslayer Wrote: Am I the only one who was mad about his timeout call around the 3 minute mark in the 4th quarter, our last timeout, on 2nd and around 5? I thought it was a bad one.

I thought the challenge on the Ross catch was good. looked like a completion to me.

The delay of game should have been stopped though. I was surprised that Dalton did not call a timeout for that one.

Loud stadium, 1st game, confusion happens. I'm pretty sure Seattle had more false starts than us though

No that end of the game annoyed me. If you only have two timeouts in that situation like we did then you should call on 2nd and 3rd down in case they get a first down on the first two plays. Then you still have a shot with two timeouts and the two minute warning. He called on first and 2nd which doesn’t make sense but lots of coaches do it.
Reply/Quote
This has to garner respect from his team. It takes a man to own his mistakes and it sets a great example. Little things add up and go into establishing a winning culture. I like it!
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 09:05 PM)Kingslayer Wrote: Am I the only one who was mad about his timeout call around the 3 minute mark in the 4th quarter, our last timeout, on 2nd and around 5?  I thought it was a bad one.

I thought the challenge on the Ross catch was good.  looked like a completion to me.  

The delay of game should have been stopped though.  I was surprised that Dalton did not call a timeout for that one.

Loud stadium, 1st game, confusion happens.  I'm pretty sure Seattle had more false starts than us though

Nope. I said the same thing when they called it.  2 and 8, 9 or 10 maybe but not 2nd and 5.  To easy to pick up 5 yards running 2 plays, which they did.  Better to see what happens after 2nd down and save the TO.

Just hope ZT learned from it and makes a better decision moving forward.  It's situational and in that situation it's better to hold onto the TO until you see what happens on the next down.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 03:44 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Marvin would say we have to tackle and block better
"Hey Marvin explain the delay of game in the 3rd q.
Down at the Ravens 19 yard and then
You elected to punt ??"
"Well that's jounalist jargon and the clock watcher needs
To watch it better and we need to tackle and block better.
The delay of game was because  I told John Ross to run
A go route and the safties were giving us a 3 rob look
And I felt if he was a decoy I could run a screen pass
To Gio with hoping Mosley would take false steps"

But you punted Marv at the 19

Oh yeah well I felt field position was critical and
I think Vontaze could have elevated our defense
As he watched from the sideline with his 348th suspension.
He could inspire Hardy to make a tackle 9 yards past the sticks

"But the bottom line is - we did some good things."
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
95% of all kids playing Madden were better at clock management than Marvin Lewis. Zac Taylor actually knows how to add and subtract in 40-45 second increments.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 03:58 PM)Daddy-O Wrote: Marvin is a narcissist by nature. These types of individuals can't learn from their mistakes because they truly believe in their mind is somebody else or even the situations fault.

Love to hear ZT self-assessing his shortcomings. That's how you develop and ultimately show leadership. Model concept.

Never a truer assessment of Marvin Lewis has ever been spoken. Bravo
Reply/Quote
Speaking of clock management both Arians and Riviera were horrible last night. I Know already through 1 game Taylor is better than both.
Reply/Quote