Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taylor did well today
I dont understand what took so long for him to open up the playbook and get some creative play designs?

Dude still needs to work on his short yardage situations. 2nd and 3rd from the half inch line and we do an I formation run and a fade to our tight end. Just sneak the damn ball.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 09:37 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I dont understand what took so long for him to open up the playbook and get some creative play designs?

Dude still needs to work on his short yardage situations. 2nd and 3rd from the half inch line and we do an I formation run and a fade to our tight end. Just sneak the damn ball.

I said it last week when everyone was saying he was in over his hand and have said it all along when people criticize his play calling. He may or may not be a horrible play caller, but no one really knows except the organization, because no one on this board or anywhere else in fandom really knows what plays he calls. Because if a play has no time to develop, how are you going to know what it was? So far all we have really seen is Joe take a 3 step drop and get clobbered. This game, Burrow had time to let plays develop.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2020, 10:32 PM)jason Wrote: Credit where credit is due... Now do it again next week.

(10-04-2020, 10:46 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I can give him credit for this outing. Like Jason said now do it again.

If they beat Baltimore next week, I swear I will stop chewing up shoes and shitting on the carpet during thunderstorms.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
First time since the days of Boomer we've passed for 300 and run for 200 in the same game.
Reply/Quote
You nailed it when you mentioned blocking. That has been holding this team back for years. What you saw yesterday was how the offense is supposed to look when you can run the ball and protect. The play calling all the sudden looks brilliant. The fact is, play calling hasn't been as bad as folks have been saying, it just doesn't matter much when the blocking is so horrible you can't let plays develop, or run play action due to lack of a run game.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I was never on the "Let's fire Taylor" train, at least from a playcalling perspective, because it is incredibly difficult to grade a playcaller when they don't have a functional QB (as in 2019) or a functional Oline (as in the first 3 games of 2020). I did criticize him but more in his personnel decisions, like how did he think this offensive line was ready for the NFL? We heard how great they looked all off season and then spending almost no capital on it in free agency or the draft? Yikes.

With that said, I'm very pleased to see that when our Oline holds up, Taylor calls a very nice game. There were receivers running open on every play, there were holes to run through and there were some really nice deep plays that just barely didn't work out (one of them due to an uncalled DPI, of course).

Let's hope they build on this momentum and continue to improve along the offensive line.
Reply/Quote
Amazing what good execution will do for the playbook.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 10:11 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I was never on the "Let's fire Taylor" train, at least from a playcalling perspective, because it is incredibly difficult to grade a playcaller when they don't have a functional QB (as in 2019) or a functional Oline (as in the first 3 games of 2020). I did criticize him but more in his personnel decisions, like how did he think this offensive line was ready for the NFL? We heard how great they looked all off season and then spending almost no capital on it in free agency or the draft? Yikes.

With that said, I'm very pleased to see that when our Oline holds up, Taylor calls a very nice game. There were receivers running open on every play, there were holes to run through and there were some really nice deep plays that just barely didn't work out (one of them due to an uncalled DPI, of course).

Let's hope they build on this momentum and continue to improve along the offensive line.

I think that is one of his strengths. He has loaded this team with winners from other teams in the free agent market, and drafted players who were Captains on their teams in a move to bring a winning attitude and a winning culture to the Bengals. Look at our new backers, along with the veteran Bynes. They even have Evans playing better than he ever has. Personnel moves, to me, is where Taylor is shining. 
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 10:16 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I think that is one of his strengths. He has loaded this team with winners from other teams in the free agent market, and drafted players who were Captains on their teams in a move to bring a winning attitude and a winning culture to the Bengals. Look at our new backers, along with the veteran Bynes. They even have Evans playing better than he ever has. Personnel moves, to me, is where Taylor is shining. 

I meant specifically not upgrading the offensive line. The draft picks, to this point, have been mostly good and the free agency period was obviously revolutionary. I'm just saying his view of the Oline being way better than it actually is would count as a strike against him in my book.

But overall, I have more good than bad to say about Zac right now. We'll see if he continues to improve and get us out of the hole we've dug ourselves into.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 09:58 AM)Wyche Wrote: You nailed it when you mentioned blocking. That has been holding this team back for years. What you saw yesterday was how the offense is supposed to look when you can run the ball and protect. The play calling all the sudden looks brilliant. The fact is, play calling hasn't been as bad as folks have been saying, it just doesn't matter much when the blocking is so horrible you can't let plays develop, or run play action due to lack of a run game.

If the blocking is bad the playbook becomes extremely limited.  There are four plays you can run:

1.  Run through A- or B-gap.
2.  Play action.
3.  Bubble screen.
4.  Slant.

That's basically it. The other plays are not possible.

With better run and pass blocking the entire playbook is open.  Yesterday we saw jet sweeps, a Lombardi sweep with Jonah Williams pulling, some delayed handoffs, dig routes, wheel routes, deeper slants, and even some deep shots thrown downfield.  Joe Mixon ran for 158 yards and the difference was proper directional blocking.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 10:20 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I meant specifically not upgrading the offensive line. The draft picks, to this point, have been mostly good and the free agency period was obviously revolutionary. I'm just saying his view of the Oline being way better than it actually is would count as a strike against him in my book.

But overall, I have more good than bad to say about Zac right now. We'll see if he continues to improve and get us out of the hole we've dug ourselves into.

Perhaps ZT felt that the QB who shall not be named was a factor in the Oline woes last year. Now that he has Burrow he’s thinking “OK, this is what I need to address next offseason and do the best I can now with what I’ve got.”

You can only fix so much of a team in one offseason and so far, I’ve been pretty happy with what they’ve done. Even the depth guys they’ve brought in have been good ala Sims and Mike Thomas.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 10:11 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I was never on the "Let's fire Taylor" train, at least from a playcalling perspective, because it is incredibly difficult to grade a playcaller when they don't have a functional QB (as in 2019) or a functional Oline (as in the first 3 games of 2020). I did criticize him but more in his personnel decisions, like how did he think this offensive line was ready for the NFL? We heard how great they looked all off season and then spending almost no capital on it in free agency or the draft? Yikes.

The line wasn't functional last season either, and really wasn't in 2018 or 17 either.

Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 10:21 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: If the blocking is bad the playbook becomes extremely limited.  There are four plays you can run:

1.  Run through A- or B-gap.
2.  Play action.
3.  Bubble screen.
4.  Slant.

That's basically it. The other plays are not possible.

With better run and pass blocking the entire playbook is open.  Yesterday we saw jet sweeps, a Lombardi sweep with Jonah Williams pulling, some delayed handoffs, dig routes, wheel routes, deeper slants, and even some deep shots thrown downfield.  Joe Mixon ran for 158 yards and the difference was proper directional blocking.

Yeah, it's been damn near impossible to get much of anything going over the last two or three years due to piss poor line play....this year has been especially bad. Hard to blame skill players or coaches when the line is getting their lunch handed to them.

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2020, 10:09 PM)Tony Wrote: I thought coach Taylor's playcalling was suspect like a lot of other. You gotta admit though, the jet sweeps, getting Mixon and Gio going with some great designs... I hope he keeps it going.. Amazing what you can do with some good ole blocking... I just watched the victory locker room celebration.  I like Taylor, man I hope he works out..

He's a slow learner. His game calling has been suspect and even downright puzzling at time.

Took 20 games for him to call a good game. However, if he can continue doing it then I guess those other 19 sucking games will have been worth it. I'm just looking to the future.

We'll see how he'll call things against Harbaugh this coming game.

We should be able to move the ball against Baltimore. I have my doubts about our ability to keep the Raven's offense in check though.

Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 09:53 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: If they beat Baltimore next week, I swear I will stop chewing up shoes and shitting on the carpet during thunderstorms.

Yeah, me too!
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 02:34 PM)BengalChris Wrote: He's a slow learner. His game calling has been suspect and even downright puzzling at time.

20 games for him to call a good game.ever, if he can continue doing it then I guess those other 19 sucking games will have been worth it. I just looking to the future.

We'll see how he call things against Harbaugh this coming game.

We should be able to move the ball against Baltimore. I have my doubts about our ability to keep the Raven's offense in check though.

Huh?

- Seattle
- Arizona
- Rams
- Browns
- Dolphins
- Browns

Were ALL good offensive games and Arizona was the first good offense game that was balanced.

This year, Browns and Jags have been great offensive games, with only the Jags game being balanced.

As I wrote yesterday, don't make things up to fit your own narrative.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Some nay sayers will say it was just Jacksonville, and it was. But, what it showed us (By Jacksonville's D-line being worse than our o-line) is that when plays have time to develop, Taylor is not really calling bad games.  His plays just haven't have time to develop.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 03:14 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Huh?

- Seattle
- Arizona
- Rams
- Browns
- Dolphins
- Browns

Were ALL good offensive games and Arizona was the first good offense game that was balanced.

This year, Browns and Jags have been great offensive games, with only the Jags game being balanced.

As I wrote yesterday, don't make things up to fit your own narrative.

I guess we see things differently about last season. I basically saw last year as one continuing suck-aroma. I did forget about how good they looked against Seattle, which, at the time, gave me a lot of hope, only to fade into miserableness all the way to the worst record. After that it basically just sucked with losses to losing teams and blow-outs courtesy of the good teams.

But, my real point was that he could have learned enough along the way that he's going to call better games in to the future.

Balance is part of it as I don't see any one sided unbalanced team as being able to win for any length of time. Lamar Jackson is a bit of an enigma in that regard though.

Reply/Quote
NO CREDIT FOR TAYLOR UNTIL HE CAN PROVE TO BE CONSISTENT..DO IT AGAIN NEXT WEEK..SAME GOES FOR THE DEFENSE. CONSISTENCY IS THE ANSWER FOR THIS TEAM.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 07:31 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: NO CREDIT FOR TAYLOR UNTIL HE CAN PROVE TO BE CONSISTENT..DO IT AGAIN NEXT WEEK..SAME GOES FOR THE DEFENSE. CONSISTENCY IS THE ANSWER FOR THIS TEAM.

Ah, so you're the guy at the party screaming his head off while everybody else is crowding into the other side of the house hoping it'll just end.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote