Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taylor finalizes coaching staff
(03-07-2019, 06:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't know if I have opened this can of worms in a while, but I really don't have a problem with coaches doing a lot of scouting.  In fact I would think that scouts are the guys not smart enough to be coaches.  A good coach should be a good scout.

And there is no reason to have to travel and see live games.  In fact it seems like a huge waste of resources to me.

And finally, I would think that the coaches would love to have a say in what type of players they get.

That's an interesting view and since half our full time scouts are Brown family members, I'm inclined to believe the coaches are vastly better scouts.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 05:39 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Even larger than when Lipencott was here?

[Image: Jim_Lippincott.jpg]
I could have finished the rest of my life without ever seeing that picture again. 
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 06:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't know if I have opened this can of worms in a while, but I really don't have a problem with coaches doing a lot of scouting.  In fact I would think that scouts are the guys not smart enough to be coaches.  A good coach should be a good scout.

And there is no reason to have to travel and see live games.  In fact it seems like a huge waste of resources to me.

And finally, I would think that the coaches would love to have a say in what type of players they get.

Seeing games isn't the only thing scouts need to do.

They can see how a player practices and prepares, and also his personality and ask him questions that help determine what kind of pro he'll be and how he'll act after he gets money/fame.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 03:09 PM)Au165 Wrote: I think this shouldn't go unnoticed. Along with the largest staff in Bengals history Mike Brown is also paying half a staff that still had contracts to coach this year, which is something "Old Mike" would have never done. This is a bigger deal to me than I think many here because to me I could have seen an older version of this team operating on a smaller staff this year until the old staff contracts came off the books.

Same, been noticing things changing for a couple years now and this is just a bigger eye opener to me.

I am expecting us to actually make some big moves in FA, something we didn't do much of in the past.

I also love having this big of a staff as we now have as another poster said "more de facto scouts".

There can be too many minds but all of these guys seem to be coaches that Taylor knows and they seem to have the same mindset.

I am loving this stuff.
Reply/Quote
Now if we can just get a larger scouting staff. It's a young coaching staff but a lot of these guys have a good bit of coaching experience just not in big roles or at big schools so hopefully everyone is hungry to prove themselves.
Reply/Quote

Can't say that I disagree with this as the Bengals have drafted fairly well over the last decade and have found quality players.  But the bottom line is success and that really hasn't happened; at least success from a playoff standpoint.

Maybe that can be attributed to Marvin, his staff and their coaching abilities.  With the house clean of Marvin maybe it changes.  Or maybe Marvin had a major hand in getting the good players and just couldn't win with them.

Nobody really knows until we get a few years into the ZT era.  He may end up being a great coach but may miss on scouting the right players and the end result the same.  Time will tell.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 02:44 PM)Okeana Wrote: well, this is at least a positive move forward and these assistances all have tons of experience.

a-ha! The assistants will be running the show. Now the plan is becoming clear now. Ninja Wink
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 03:59 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: You have to wonder if ZT didn't lobby and say since we can't have official scouts can we have some unofficial scouts ?

Or better yet if Mike is even involved ?

I'm picturing Taylor and Katie working on this stuff behind Mike's back.

Taylor: I want more scouts
Katie: The old man won't allow that

Taylor: Hmm...this is a problem
Katie: Just hire a few more coaches and we'll use them as scouts

Taylor: Wait, why would he be okay with more coaches but not...
Katie: (interrupts) Don't ask... look, just hire more coaches and I'll appeal to the old man by telling him they're young and cheap labor

Taylor: What did I get myself into??  Facepalm
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote