Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should the Bengals extend Burrow this off-season (already)
Would it make sense/be a smart move for the Bengals to extend Burrow this off-season? I feel like you could average out the money over his rookie contract years so that cap hit wouldn't be as big when his rookie contract eventually expires. That way he is making more money in the immediate future and the Bengals can somewhat "save" money when his rookie contract does expire.

Just something to think about - it could be a useful strategy especially for the Bengals who are so weird about the salary cap/spending money. Is this something done regularly?
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
**** no.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Literally not allowed to give a contract extension by rule until after a player's 3rd NFL season.

Even if they could my answer would still be no.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 06:09 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Would it make sense/be a smart move for the Bengals to extend Burrow this off-season? I feel like you could average out the money over his rookie contract years so that cap hit wouldn't be as big when his rookie contract eventually expires. That way he is making more money in the immediate future and the Bengals can somewhat "save" money when his rookie contract does expire.

Just something to think about - it could be a useful strategy especially for the Bengals who are so weird about the salary cap/spending money. Is this something done regularly?

End of year 3
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 06:09 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Would it make sense/be a smart move for the Bengals to extend Burrow this off-season? I feel like you could average out the money over his rookie contract years so that cap hit wouldn't be as big when his rookie contract eventually expires. That way he is making more money in the immediate future and the Bengals can somewhat "save" money when his rookie contract does expire.

People say no and I don’t know why. What he has done behind this line is remarkable. We can rip on the oline all we want but fact is the line has not lost us games so far (aside from Ravens where we had no chance), the defense has.
Reply/Quote
Extend Burrow the second you can get it done, upgrade the o-line and give and go after some people who can actually rush the passer.
Reply/Quote
You CANT do this.

End of this discussion
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 08:00 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: You CANT do this.

End of this discussion

This

It’s not baseball
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 08:00 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: You CANT do this.

End of this discussion

That's all I needed to know. I will show myself out. 
Reply/Quote
For those who would rather see Burrow extended this off season, if that were even a possibility, why?

Why would you choose to see the Bengals tie up such a huge portion of the salary cap before they needed to? Seems to me that doing so would seriously inhibit their ability to build the best possible team around him, thus limiting Joe's prospects of ever reaching the Super Bowl.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 08:48 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: For those who would rather see Burrow extended this off season, if that were even a possibility, why?

Why would you choose to see the Bengals tie up such a huge portion of the salary cap before they needed to?  Seems to me that doing so would seriously inhibit their ability to build the best possible team around him, thus limiting Joe's prospects of ever reaching the Super Bowl.

You buy out his rookie years to try and even out the money over more years. It happens in baseball all the time. It gives the team more financial flexibility over the long haul. It's a win for the player and the organization. 
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 08:48 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: For those who would rather see Burrow extended this off season, if that were even a possibility, why?

Why would you choose to see the Bengals tie up such a huge portion of the salary cap before they needed to? Seems to me that doing so would seriously inhibit their ability to build the best possible team around him, thus limiting Joe's prospects of ever reaching the Super Bowl.

This. You take advantage of the rookie contract AS LONG AS POSSIBLE! Spend the money to build around him for a few more years.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 09:06 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: You buy out his rookie years to try and even out the money over more years. It happens in baseball all the time. It gives the team more financial flexibility over the long haul. It's a win for the player and the organization. 

Fortunately for Baseball, the talent evaluators are generally correct much more often than they are in the Football world, along with the chance of season/career ending injury being much lower in Baseball compared to Football.  

The NFL went to the current Rookie contract/slotting system for a reason, too many teams were getting burned by outrageous amounts of money due to guys that weren't on their teams and producing, thus screwing up the salary cap system.  The NFL worked long and hard to achieve a system where pretty much any well managed team could go from last place to competitive with just one year turnover.  Whereas Baseball with their unlimited spending has successfully made it nearly impossible for small market teams to build and maintain a competitive team and keep it together for a string of seasons.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 07:48 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: People say no and I don’t know why. What he has done behind this line is remarkable. We can rip on the oline all we want but fact is the line has not lost us games so far (aside from Ravens where we had no chance), the defense has.

Because you literally cannot do it per NFL rules.
Reply/Quote
Why would Burrow do this? Even though the cap will undoubtedly be lower next year, it will most likely go up the following years. He'd possibly miss out on a butt-load of money if he takes less now for security.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
Yes, sign him to 15 years and give him ownership of the team starting immediately as payment.
Reply/Quote
A QB on a rookie contract is the most valuable thing a team can possibly have these days. Just look at what a mess the Vikings are since having to overpay Cousins in FA. They literally decimated their team to pay for him.

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 09:37 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Fortunately for Baseball, the talent evaluators are generally correct much more often than they are in the Football world, along with the chance of season/career ending injury being much lower in Baseball compared to Football.  

The NFL went to the current Rookie contract/slotting system for a reason, too many teams were getting burned by outrageous amounts of money due to guys that weren't on their teams and producing, thus screwing up the salary cap system.  The NFL worked long and hard to achieve a system where pretty much any well managed team could go from last place to competitive with just one year turnover.  Whereas Baseball with their unlimited spending has successfully made it nearly impossible for small market teams to build and maintain a competitive team and keep it together for a string of seasons.

The Rays have entered the chat... 
Reply/Quote