Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taylor to use full playbook in Preseason
(08-08-2019, 05:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't think so.  If Dalton was throwing the ball too late Gio would have to stop to catch it.  Dalton usually hits him in stride.  Of course "some people" just want to blame everything on Dalton.

Whatever the problem I agree that our RBs get blown up on that play way too often.

This. Again. The entire play is one path designed. This isn't like Dalton's dropping back and scanning the field. His only option is to make the pass, throw it away or get sacked. The best bet in the design is to give it to the playmaker (as he does). The play just doesn't work because we don't execute it well. 

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
If we are using a real playbook we should kick some arse at least.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2019, 05:51 PM)Nately120 Wrote: If we are using a real playbook we should kick some arse at least.

You don't think Marvin going off Madden Suggestions is a real playbook?

I'm sure someone's offended...

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
I'm a little skeptical. I'm expecting a big scoop of vanilla.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2019, 04:58 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I remember that Colts game years ago where Gio was just getting gashed in the back. Hurt to watch, tough dude.

Yeah, that's a game it happened multiple times. It's happened enough that you almost hold your breath when he leaks out and Dalton throws the ball out there. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2019, 05:34 PM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: This. From what I've seen, linemen pulling too soon. The NFL is far too smart, defenders are far too smart. It would take Mr Kuechly a film session to be able to see a tick a linemen does. I wouldn't be surprised if our line was similar to this. I do recall a few times a guard/tackle pulled too quickly. Again, it's easy to blame Dalton on this situation, but most that make this critique, do not realize that this is literally the only option Dalton has (that or get sacked).

The plays he's been blown up on have predominantly been check downs, yes. But a pulling lineman has nothing to do with it. When a lineman pulls, it's a designed screen pass and i can't think of a single time he's been blown up on a screen pass. Could have been but what i recall are the times he's out there all alone and...boom!

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2019, 05:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't think so.  If Dalton was throwing the ball too late Gio would have to stop to catch it.  

Whatever the problem I agree that our RBs get blown up on that play way too often.

Early or late, the ball can be thrown anywhere. Thowing it late doesn't mean it's going to be behind him any more than in front of him. It just means the defender has more time to get there and wallop him. 

I deleted the butthurt part of your post that wasn't necessary, and yes, it does happen too often. New coaches, new philosophy, new play book. That could cut  down or stop it from happening. 

Reply/Quote
(08-08-2019, 03:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The shovel pass is a very effective play.  I don't know why people around here seem to mock it.

Probably because the last hundred times Bob ran it, it went nowhere.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-08-2019, 05:51 PM)Nately120 Wrote: If we are using a real playbook we should kick some arse at least.

Nah, it's Merv's, so each page just reads:

1) Run
2) Run
3) Pass
4) Punt

(08-08-2019, 06:11 PM)NKURyan Wrote: I'm a little skeptical. I'm expecting a big scoop of vanilla.

Mike says that's fine, just remember to supply your own cone.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2019, 03:48 PM)Joelist Wrote: Sensible decision - he needs his offense to get as many reps as possible in the new playbook so they are not entering the season as badly out of practice.
ZT is setting a foundation for the next few years. Much more important to gain cohesion than achieve what amounts to a slight advantage of surprise for what, the first 2 or 3 games this season at best.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
Meh, if he said we were only using 10 percent of the playbook we'd be calling him a shrewd and sneaky genius.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2019, 09:53 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Nah, it's Merv's, so each page just reads:

1) Run
2) Run
3) Pass
4) Punt

You sure? I haven't looked it up or anything, but it really seemed over the last few years that they were crazy about passing on first down. Drives me nuts.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2019, 11:21 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Meh, if he said we were only using 10 percent of the playbook we'd be calling him a shrewd and sneaky genius.

If he did that, the news wouldn't be noteworthy, therefore, nobody would be calling anybody anything.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2019, 03:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The shovel pass is a very effective play.  I don't know why people around here seem to mock it.

The play works when executed and called correctly it’s basically a quick screen pass or forward option. We somehow seem to struggle with it though. I really don’t remember but didn’t Dalton fracture his thumb against Pitt on a shovel play trying to tackle Tuitt? Or was that just a screen
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
(08-08-2019, 02:47 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Jake from Locked On Bengals podcast just finished an interview with Zac Taylor.
https://twitter.com/Jake_NFL/status/1159518978802429954

Ultimately, we'll see if he's being honest or not, but we could see the true breadth of this offensive scheme!

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-09-2019, 11:27 AM)pally Wrote:  

Well that's no fun  Whatever
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-08-2019, 09:53 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Nah, it's Merv's, so each page just reads:

1) Run
2) Run
3) Pass
4) Punt

Mike says that's fine, just remember to supply your own cone.

Come on, you know the plays are more detailed than that...
Run out wide with Jeremy Hill
Run up the middle with Gio Bernard
Deep pass to Brandon LaFell
Smirk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-08-2019, 07:53 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Early or late, the ball can be thrown anywhere. Thowing it late doesn't mean it's going to be behind him any more than in front of him.

Gio doesn't stand still waiting for Dalton to throw the pass.  So the route that leads to getting blown up is set before Dalton throws the ball.  If Dalton throws it too late then Gio would have to stop or slow down to catch it or if he throws it too son Gio would not get to it.  I don't see that happening.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2019, 11:27 AM)pally Wrote:  

Way to leave out the sarcasm OP lol  Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2019, 11:40 PM)NKURyan Wrote: You sure? I haven't looked it up or anything, but it really seemed over the last few years that they were crazy about passing on first down. Drives me nuts.

Marvin critics have never been too concerned with facts.

Last year the Bengals were in the bottom half of the league (19th) in percentage of runs on first down (45%).
Reply/Quote