Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taylors choice for DC
Guenther was a good hire also.

Also as DC Leslie Frazier has produced a top ten defense 5 times in 10 seasons.  He has had top 10 defenses with three different teams including last year's #2 unit in Buffalo.   Frazier is a top notch DC.
Reply/Quote
If Marvin wasn't Marvin I would be very happy if they hired Marvin for DC. I wonder who is going to hire Marvin for DC?

Both Marvin and Hue are pariahs now and that is a shame because they make fine coordinators,

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 04:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Guenther was a good hire also.

Also as DC Leslie Frazier has produced a top ten defense 5 times in 10 seasons.  He has had top 10 defenses with three different teams including last year's #2 unit in Buffalo.   Frazier is a top notch DC.

He's been good in the past, no doubt about it.  However, this article doesn't bode well for him being thought of as any sort of hot commodity.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2018/9/17/17869024/sean-mcdermott-takes-over-calling-plays-buffalo-bills-defense-from-leslie-frazier-against-chargers

The Buffalo Bills defense had the doors blown off in Week 1 against the Baltimore Ravens and more of the same was happening to them in Week 2 against the Los Angeles Chargers. So Sean McDermott did something he hasn’t done in his 19 games as Bills head coach; he started calling plays.
McDermott took over defensive play-calling in the second half, overruling defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier and providing a spark to a Bills defense that was able to lock it down over the final two quarters even without Vontae Davis and down to just two cornerbacks.
“I just thought we needed a spark and that’s my background,” McDermott said after the game. “Coach Frazier does a really good job as well as the defensive staff. I just felt like we needed a spark.”
Buffalo had allowed nine consecutive red zone touchdowns this season (ten if you count the 20-yard score from Sunday on the edge of the red zone) until McDermott’s defense forced a field goal in the second half.
After surrendering 28 points to Los Angeles and 47 points to the Ravens, Frazier’s defense had allowed 75 points in only six quarters. Buffalo’s 78 points allowed after two games is tied with the Detroit Lions for worst in the NFL.
“Defensively, we didn’t play well enough, obviously, in the first half against a good offensive unit, spotting them 28 points,” McDermott said.
The Bills defense gave up 17 first downs to Phillip Rivers and the Chargers in the second half on the heels of 26 first downs a week ago to the Ravens. But McDermott, whose defense only gave up four first downs the rest of the way, doesn’t know yet if it’s going to be a permanent move.
“It’s something we’re going to evaluate,” McDermott said. “We’re going to evaluate that as well as a few o
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 05:21 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: If Marvin wasn't Marvin I would be very happy if they hired Marvin for DC. I wonder who is going to hire Marvin for DC?

Both Marvin and Hue are pariahs now and that is a shame because they make fine coordinators,

Marvin is set to be an analyst for the AAF in their first season which starts this weekend.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 04:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Guenther was a good hire also.

All that matters is he wasn't good for the Bengals. 28th and 19th were his rankings with us. Marv took away his play calling duties at one point, and fired him after only 2 years. It was a bad hire. 

Guenther was "ok". His rankings were 22nd, 11th, 17th and 18th. He was better in the "points" allowed" category, but I don't think anyone is ever winning a championship with Guenther as their DC.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 06:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: He's been good in the past, no doubt about it.  However, this article doesn't bode well for him being thought of as any sort of hot commodity.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2018/9/17/17869024/sean-mcdermott-takes-over-calling-plays-buffalo-bills-defense-from-leslie-frazier-against-chargers

The Buffalo Bills defense had the doors blown off in Week 1 against the Baltimore Ravens and more of the same was happening to them in Week 2 against the Los Angeles Chargers. So Sean McDermott did something he hasn’t done in his 19 games as Bills head coach; he started calling plays.
McDermott took over defensive play-calling in the second half, overruling defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier and providing a spark to a Bills defense that was able to lock it down over the final two quarters even without Vontae Davis and down to just two cornerbacks.
“I just thought we needed a spark and that’s my background,” McDermott said after the game. “Coach Frazier does a really good job as well as the defensive staff. I just felt like we needed a spark.”
Buffalo had allowed nine consecutive red zone touchdowns this season (ten if you count the 20-yard score from Sunday on the edge of the red zone) until McDermott’s defense forced a field goal in the second half.
After surrendering 28 points to Los Angeles and 47 points to the Ravens, Frazier’s defense had allowed 75 points in only six quarters. Buffalo’s 78 points allowed after two games is tied with the Detroit Lions for worst in the NFL.
“Defensively, we didn’t play well enough, obviously, in the first half against a good offensive unit, spotting them 28 points,” McDermott said.
The Bills defense gave up 17 first downs to Phillip Rivers and the Chargers in the second half on the heels of 26 first downs a week ago to the Ravens. But McDermott, whose defense only gave up four first downs the rest of the way, doesn’t know yet if it’s going to be a permanent move.
“It’s something we’re going to evaluate,” McDermott said. “We’re going to evaluate that as well as a few o

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2018/09/bills_leslie_frazier_reclaims_play-calling_duties_shuts_down_potent_vikings.html

Bills' Leslie Frazier reclaims play-calling duties, shuts down potent Vikings
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 06:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2018/09/bills_leslie_frazier_reclaims_play-calling_duties_shuts_down_potent_vikings.html

Bills' Leslie Frazier reclaims play-calling duties, shuts down potent Vikings

If he was all that great, he shouldn't have had his play-calling duties stripped (again) in the first place. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 07:01 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: If he was all that great, he shouldn't have had his play-calling duties stripped (again) in the first place. 

For at least the second time, in his career...

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 07:01 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: If he was all that great, he shouldn't have had his play-calling duties stripped (again) in the first place. 

Final results are all that matter.

Did Ken Anderson suck in 1981 because he got benched the first game?
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 07:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Final results are all that matter.

They went 6-10, same as the Bengals..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 08:00 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: They went 6-10, same as the Bengals..

Frazier was not the head coach.  He was the defensive coordinator.  And the Bills defense finished #2 in the league.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 07:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Final results are all that matter.

...and the final results with the Bengals were rankings of 28th and 19th, having his duties stripped, then fired after only 2 seasons.

It was a failed hire. What came after is irrelevant. Not that Frazier has been has been great elsewhere, with average rankings of 12.9 in yards and 17.5 in points. Fairly average elsewhere, failure with the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 06:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: He's been good in the past, no doubt about it.  However, this article doesn't bode well for him being thought of as any sort of hot commodity.

Kinda sounds familiar..... Ninja

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 12:31 PM)pally Wrote:

I kinda like the idea of interviewing a whole bunch of guys.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 12:36 PM)McC Wrote: I kinda like the idea of interviewing a whole bunch of guys.  

Yep looks like he didn’t get “his guy” so now he’s expanding.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 12:31 PM)pally Wrote:

I wonder how many people actually remember that Marquand Manuel was drafted by us (2002) and spent his first 2 years in stripes?
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 12:52 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Yep looks like he didn’t get “his guy” so now he’s expanding.

If he's requested interviews with a half dozen guys, how do we know who his guy is?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 03:08 PM)McC Wrote: If he's requested interviews with a half dozen guys, how do we know who his guy is?

Usually the ones first reported. JDR, Capers, etx
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 03:19 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Usually the ones first reported. JDR, Capers, etx

Based on what?

Reply/Quote