Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Teachers Union Knows better than Parents what is good for their children????
https://www.foxnews.com/media/teachers-union-plays-clean-after-claiming-educators-know-better-anyone-kids-need

The NEA’s initial tweet, which drew backlash from thousands on Twitter, claimed "Educators love their students and know better than anyone what they need to learn and to thrive."

"Parents know best," Rep. Jim Banks, R-Ind., tweeted.

"This is absurd. Better than parents?" Oklahoma Secretary of Education Ryan Walters responded.

The NEA, along with the American Federation of Teachers, was caught up in controversial emails last year with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The correspondence, obtained by Americans for Public Trust, found that the nation's two largest teachers unions appeared to influence last-minute changes to school reopening guidance and a slow walking of getting kids back to school.

A recent national report card showed the impact that forced at-home learning may have had on schoolchildren, finding the largest decrease in reading scores in three decades. Math scores, meanwhile, saw their first decrease in the history of the testing regimen done by the National Center for Education Statistics.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Teachers may better identify needs in a child’s learning learning that parents don’t because thats what they do. As for everything else, parents rule.this really isn’t a dem vs gop thing either, or at least it shouldn’t be. It’s just common sense.

Reply/Quote
In most cases, yes your child's teacher knows better than the parent how to educate the child. It is their job and it is their training. And despite the conservative line, there really is no "political" agenda. Teacher's don't have the time.

That isn't cutting parents out. Teachers want parental involvement. They want them to come to events and conferences. They want them to volunteer. They want insight how what makes your child tick. They want them to know what their child is learning and how to help them do better. They want parents to understand the truth of what is going on in their classrooms not the stories made up by people with political agendas.

What they don't want is parents telling them how to do their job.

But, it is also not the teacher's job to teach only from one set of parents' political or religious viewpoints. If you want that don't send them to public school. They have students from every walk of life, religion, and political background.

The most important thing a parent can teach their child before school is respect for others regardless of how they act, look, and think. And way too many parents fail at that leaving the schools to deal with the issues that arise

It is also not their job to teach the fantasy of America. It is their job to teach the reality. So if racism existed in America children need to understand that racism existed and the impact that the past still has on today.

Your post quotes Oklahoma School Superintendent who just the other day said their schools could teach about the Tulsa RACE riots as long as race wasn't mentioned. Yeah...that's educating a child.

In the last 12 years, the state of Ohio under 2 Republican governors and Republican majority statehouses went from having the 5th best public schools in the country to having the 24th in the country. Over $1 billion dollars was diverted from the public schools to a private online charter school. They went bust leaving Ohio taxpayers on the hook and the public schools way short of cash. The states with the lowest education rankings in the country are red states. I doubt that is just a coincidence.

Children, regardless of age, deserve the truth and honesty in their education. If they are old enough to ask questions they are old enough for age-appropriate answers. You cannot teach a child how to use critical thinking skills without challenging them to think. And you must start teaching those skills from the day they enter school

Shoot me, but no book should ever be off-limits. Books are screened by trained librarians for school libraries. A parent can prevent his own child from reading a book but he doesn't have the right to pull that book from every other child.

Curious people read. People who go on to do great things read. Leaders read

Books open up a child's world and awaken their imaginations but of course, that is what conservatives are afraid of...children that learn to think for themselves.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I'm of two minds about this one.

I reluctantly agree that teachers in public schools got hooked on the sweet teat of NTI during covid. They cancel school when someone farts too loud anymore, and the ones I know on social media are just itching for the word from the super that class is cancelled. It's annoying as hell.

One the other hand, applying one size fits all to parents vs teachers when it comes to who knows best for kids. To say one knows best assumes all teachers are of the same moral/skill level and all parents are equal in how well they parent their kids.

Legally, all kids are required to go to school. This means the most unsuitable parents in society, ie the addicts, the criminals, the unemployable, the abusers, the violent, all have kids in schools as we speak. Do I think a teacher knows how to act in the interest of kids like that more than parents? Absolutely. Plenty of shitty teachers out there, too. Things aren't always black and white here.

Biology and conception do not always equal good or even safe decision making.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2023, 08:24 PM)pally Wrote: In most cases, yes your child's teacher knows better than the parent how to educate the child. It is their job and it is their training.  And despite the conservative line, there really is no "political" agenda.  Teacher's don't have the time.

Several of my closest friends are teachers.  This is simply not true.  Common sense would tell you it only takes a few statements in a lesson plan to skew a lesson politically.

Quote:That isn't cutting parents out.  Teachers want parental involvement.  They want them to come to events and conferences.  They want them to volunteer.  They want insight how what makes your child tick. They want them to know what their child is learning and how to help them do better.  They want parents to understand the truth of what is going on in their classrooms not the stories made up by people with political agendas.

What they don't want is parents telling them how to do their job.  

The underlined is fascinating, because if I made the same statement about my job to all you armchair quarterbacks you'd lose your shit.  One need only look at the past three years, and several posters on this board, for proof.

Quote:But, it is also not the teacher's job to teach only from one set of parents' political or religious viewpoints.  If you want that don't send them to public school.  They have students from every walk of life, religion, and political background.

You're right, so they should represent none of them.  Ever.

Quote:The most important thing a parent can teach their child before school is respect for others regardless of how they act, look, and think.  And way too many parents fail at that leaving the schools to deal with the issues that arise

On this I could not agree with you more.  Depressingly often the teacher is the first adult in a child's life who has rules, expectations for behavior and consequences for failure to meet them.  Sadly, leftist policies and adherence to silly talking points like "the school to prison pipeline" are eroding this.

Quote:It is also not their job to teach the fantasy of America.  It is their job to teach the reality. So if racism existed in America children need to understand that racism existed and the impact that the past still has on today.  

There is certainly a way to teach true history, but it should be age appropriate.  It should also be done in a way that emphasizes that no one is an automatic victim or perpetrator of these problem due to their ethnicity.

Quote:Your post quotes Oklahoma School Superintendent who just the other day said their schools could teach about the Tulsa RACE riots as long as race wasn't mentioned.  Yeah...that's educating a child.  

Yes, that would be a bad example.  One could dig up numerous such examples from left leaning teachers as well.  Both should be culled.

Quote:In the last 12 years, the state of Ohio under 2 Republican governors and Republican majority statehouses went from having the 5th best public schools in the country to having the 24th in the country.  Over $1 billion dollars was diverted from the public schools to a private online charter school.  They went bust leaving Ohio taxpayers on the hook and the public schools way short of cash.  The states with the lowest education rankings in the country are red states.  I doubt that is just a coincidence.

This is not true.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings/education/prek-12

New Mexico is worst, and it is a red state.  Also in the bottom five are Alaska (which I have been reliably told on this board by a resident is not a red state), Oklahoma (undoubtedly a red state), Arizona (a purple state), and Nevada (also a purple state). So you have a mix at the lower end.  Oregon is 42 and California is 38. Poorer states do tend to be higher on the list (I wonder why that is?), but your claim is demonstrably false.

Quote:Children, regardless of age, deserve the truth and honesty in their education. If they are old enough to ask questions they are old enough for age-appropriate answers.  You cannot teach a child how to use critical thinking skills without challenging them to think.  And you must start teaching those skills from the day they enter school

No, regardless of age is an inane statement.  Do you run around telling five year olds there is no Santa Claus?  Why not?  He doesn't exist, so be truthful with the kids.  There is such a thing as age appropriate lessons, regardless of subject.  Your position is exactly why parents around the nation are upset.

Quote:Shoot me, but no book should ever be off-limits.  Books are screened by trained librarians for school libraries.

Wait, how can no book be off limits it they are curated by others?  If they are curated then certainly some are off limits, otherwise there would be no need for curation.  This is where your adherence to left wing talking points runs smack dab into something called logic.

Quote:A parent can prevent his own child from reading a book but he doesn't have the right to pull that book from every other child.

Is your position really that no book should be off limits to children in a public school setting?  

Quote:Curious people read.  People who go on to do great things read.  Leaders read

Eaters eat, walkers walk and talkers talk.  This is fun!

Quote:Books open up a child's world and awaken their imaginations but of course, that is what conservatives are afraid of...children that learn to think for themselves.

Is that what they're afraid of?  Does thinking for yourself include not calling someone by their preferred pronouns, or not wanting a biological man in a woman's locker room or a woman's bathroom?  Is that kind of thinking for yourself ok?  Could you make us a list of what topics for which it's ok to think for yourself and which require adherence to orthodoxy at the risk of punishment?
Reply/Quote
Wow. Wtf is next. They gonna try and say doctors and dentists know how to treat kids medical and dental problems better than parents too?
Reply/Quote
Unfortunately, there are parents that should not be parents. Those kids need some kind of guidance. I prefer the church over schools when it comes to educating children. lol
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2023, 08:24 PM)pally Wrote: In the last 12 years, the state of Ohio under 2 Republican governors and Republican majority statehouses went from having the 5th best public schools in the country to having the 24th in the country.  Over $1 billion dollars was diverted from the public schools to a private online charter school.  They went bust leaving Ohio taxpayers on the hook and the public schools way short of cash.  The states with the lowest education rankings in the country are red states.  I doubt that is just a coincidence.

So true. Former Confederate states have remained among the lowest ranked for a century now, since educators began gathering and keeping stats. That was true when they were Democrat states, and then, after the Dems backed civil rights full on back in the '60s, when they "went red." 

The next two decades are when the battle over public ed really got organized. Segregation triggered a push for private schools and home schooling, and control over the curriculum where possible regarding history and science. That amorphous entity known on all RW news sites as "the Left" had kicked God out of the schools and was indoctrinating our children the wrong way--with godless evolution, secular government, sex ed., and accurate history. That's a battle over ideas that goes back to Galileo and Bruno. 

But Republicans are not a problem only in red states. 

PA had a Republican governor from 2011-15 and he cut a billion dollars from the state ed. budget.

That is still wreaking havoc in our system, as it forced PA universities to down size and raise tuition,
pushing more students out of state for college or deciding not to go at all. Then as enrollments drop,
more funding is withdrawn in an erosive cycle. 
Reply/Quote
I hope all Democratic politicians run on children belong to them as Biden and Kamala have stated over and over again. I hope the FBI keeps targeting Catholics as Wray testified to recently.

The liberals think they can raise our children and in. my case grandchildren better than their parents. The teachers believe they know best and would love the parent's involvement helping them teach their kids sex education in the 3rd grade and elementary school. The teachers love it, but only if you agree 100% with them including them parenting your kids.

Teachers's need to teach and leave parenting to parents. If they want to parent kids, then send the parents a check of $1000 each month to share also n the financial responsibility. Otherwise, teacher's job is to teach, not to parent children.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2023, 08:50 AM)Dill Wrote: So true. Former Confederate states have remained among the lowest ranked for a century now, since educators began gathering and keeping stats. That was true when they were Democrat states, and then, after the Dems backed civil rights full on back in the '60s, when they "went red." 

The next two decades are when the battle over public ed really got organized. Segregation triggered a push for private schools and home schooling, and control over the curriculum where possible regarding history and science. That amorphous entity known on all RW news sites as "the Left" had kicked God out of the schools and was indoctrinating our children the wrong way--with godless evolution, secular government, sex ed., and accurate history. That's a battle over ideas that goes back to Galileo and Bruno. 

But Republicans are not a problem only in red states. 

PA had a Republican governor from 2011-15 and he cut a billion dollars from the state ed. budget.

That is still wreaking havoc in our system, as it forced PA universities to down size and raise tuition,
pushing more students out of state for college or deciding not to go at all. Then as enrollments drop,
more funding is withdrawn in an erosive cycle. 

West Virginia is the worst educated state in the nation. Yes we are a red state now but that is a more recent development because of the legislation against fossil fuels. We were also not a Confederate state.

What makes the education system in WV bad has nothing to do with education. We do have nice schools my county and the 3 counties around us just rebuilt all of the high schools plus put in technical training schools and upgraded the local community college for the high school kids to take advantage of the higher learning quicker... We spend what money we do get well. 

The issue is the teachers cannot afford to work in our schools because of healthcare. WVU is cutting money because they cant afford the healthcare for their teachers...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(07-14-2023, 09:18 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I hope all Democratic politicians run on children belong to them as Biden and Kamala have stated over and over again. I hope the FBI keeps targeting Catholics as Wray testified to recently.

The liberals think they can raise our children and in. my case grandchildren better than their parents. The teachers believe they know best and would love the parent's involvement helping them teach their kids sex education in the 3rd grade and elementary school. The teachers love it, but only if you agree 100% with them including them parenting your kids.

Teachers's need to teach and leave parenting to parents. If they want to parent kids, then send the parents a check of $1000 each month to share also n the financial responsibility. Otherwise, teacher's job is to teach, not to parent children.
Raise your kids how you wan t...leave ours alone. If you don't want your child learning something that's your business. But you forcing your values on schools is exactly what you are accusing liberals of doing

And for goodness sake "our children" is a age old term talking about the youth of America. There is nothing creepy about it

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(07-14-2023, 09:18 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I hope all Democratic politicians run on children belong to them as Biden and Kamala have stated over and over again. I hope the FBI keeps targeting Catholics as Wray testified to recently.

Oh good.  I hope the party of Qanon runs on defunding the Department of Education like Meatball Ron suggests.  I'm sure the majority of parents in this country will be over the moon about less money for their kids' schools.  They can just eat cake, right?
Reply/Quote