Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Team Deficiencies and Options to Address Them
Five weeks in and we have a pretty good pulse on this team. Some good areas, some bad, and some that need addressing...like now. The sense of urgency to make this team better should be pretty high considering this off-season's roster turnover, the position the team is currently in (2-3), and how this was supposed to be our Super Bowl year.

Where are the dificiencies and how can the Bengals address them? I have these ranked in order from most important to least important (IMO).

1. RB2
This should have been addressed in the off-season and is a major blunder by the front office. At this point, the team basically doesn't have a RB2 on the roster. Mixon has accounted for 93% (84 of 90) of the running back attempts this season. That is just unsustainable. Mixon is going to be beat by game 10. The Bengals don't trust anyone else on their roster to give attemps to, so they will need to dip into the trade or FA market. Preferably a one year rental, a vet, (Chase Brown can spell the load next year) and someone with some speed.

Option: Dontrell Hilliard - 28 years old and rated with a 67 PFF grade in 2022 with the Titans. More speed than Mixon (elite 40 yard dash RAS) and 6.6 yards per attempt last year in VERY limited carries. Currently a FA who can most likely be had for very cheap. He is also a good receiving back posting 21 receptions on 28 targets and 177 yards and 4 TDs.

2. Interior pass rush:
Zach Carter just isn't working out. The pass rush in 2022 wasn't good enough (specifically the interior). It hasn't been the same since Larry O left and they could definitely use a rotational piece to spare Reader/Hill.

Option: Derrick Brown - He'd have to be obtained via trade from the Panthers. He's signed through this year with a 5th year rookie option for next year (11 million). He's having a REALLY good year, grading out at an 80 via PFF and an 84 in 2022. He'd be an awesome option to pair inside with Reader/Hill this year then you also have a Reader replacement stop gap for next year (if letting Reader walk is the route they want to go). I'd give up a 4th round pick for him. Maaaaybe a 3rd.

4. Safety:
Nick Scott isn't it. I hate to give up on him, but he's been pretty bad. Both tackling and in coverage.

Option: Jordan Battle - This is an easy one. Jordan Battle (yes, the rookie) should be getting more playing time. He already got some this past week against Arizona and I wouldn't be shocked if it continued. He played for a couple series while Scott was benched. He did flash at times against the Cards, but he will most likely have some let downs as well. Either way, at this point he can't be much worse than Scott.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
TIGHT END
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 11:20 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: TIGHT END

I honestly didn't even list tight end because there is no feasible option out there lol 
Reply/Quote
Faster running back. If you’re gonna run out of the shotgun, you better be able to accelerate fast

Tight end that’s more reliable than that fragile clown from minnesota they have

New line coach, better left guard.

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
The Bengals I agree need to address the RB2.
Williams is so slow and has zero big play
Ability. Brown is nothing more than than
A check down option
The running back room in general
Is lacking that RB that can make tacklers
Miss and out run pursuit
Reply/Quote
RD2: Lenny Fournette

IDL: Akiem Hicks

S: Johnathan Abram

TE: See what it would take to get CJ back
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 11:18 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Five weeks in and we have a pretty good pulse on this team. Some good areas, some bad, and some that need addressing...like now. The sense of urgency to make this team better should be pretty high considering this off-season's roster turnover, the position the team is currently in (2-3), and how this was supposed to be our Super Bowl year.

Where are the dificiencies and how can the Bengals address them? I have these ranked in order from most important to least important (IMO).

1. RB2
This should have been addressed in the off-season and is a major blunder by the front office. At this point, the team basically doesn't have a RB2 on the roster. Mixon has accounted for 93% (84 of 90) of the running back attempts this season. That is just unsustainable. Mixon is going to be beat by game 10. The Bengals don't trust anyone else on their roster to give attemps to, so they will need to dip into the trade or FA market. Preferably a one year rental, a vet, (Chase Brown can spell the load next year) and someone with some speed.

Option: Dontrell Hilliard - 28 years old and rated with a 67 PFF grade in 2022 with the Titans. More speed than Mixon (elite 40 yard dash RAS) and 6.6 yards per attempt last year in VERY limited carries. Currently a FA who can most likely be had for very cheap. He is also a good receiving back posting 21 receptions on 28 targets and 177 yards and 4 TDs.

2. Interior pass rush:
Zach Carter just isn't working out. The pass rush in 2022 wasn't good enough (specifically the interior). It hasn't been the same since Larry O left and they could definitely use a rotational piece to spare Reader/Hill.

Option: Derrick Brown - He'd have to be obtained via trade from the Panthers. He's signed through this year with a 5th year rookie option for next year (11 million). He's having a REALLY good year, grading out at an 80 via PFF and an 84 in 2022. He'd be an awesome option to pair inside with Reader/Hill this year then you also have a Reader replacement stop gap for next year (if letting Reader walk is the route they want to go). I'd give up a 4th round pick for him. Maaaaybe a 3rd.

4. Safety:
Nick Scott isn't it. I hate to give up on him, but he's been pretty bad. Both tackling and in coverage.

Option: Jordan Battle - This is an easy one. Jordan Battle (yes, the rookie) should be getting more playing time. He already got some this past week against Arizona and I wouldn't be shocked if it continued. He played for a couple series while Scott was benched. He did flash at times against the Cards, but he will most likely have some let downs as well. Either way, at this point he can't be much worse than Scott.

I agree with safety. The others are unrealistic at this point in the season.
Reply/Quote
Regarding the RB situation, Williams ain't it and you can feel how much Perine is missed. A good change of pace or receiving back is currently a gaping weakness we have especially if Mixon went down ever. Some names that are probably available: Matt Breida, Perine (funny enough), Chuba Hubbard, Gibson, Singletary, Foreman, Kahlil Herbert. The Broncos will probably start trading their players and tank the rest of the season, so I think we real shot at trading for Perine.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 11:18 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Five weeks in and we have a pretty good pulse on this team. Some good areas, some bad, and some that need addressing...like now. The sense of urgency to make this team better should be pretty high considering this off-season's roster turnover, the position the team is currently in (2-3), and how this was supposed to be our Super Bowl year.  

1. RB2

2. Interior pass rush:

4. Safety:

Good list.

I'd say our interior offensive line is low-end NFL starters too. Not going to address that now.

I wasn't a fan of the Scott signing either as a starter. Our secondary just seems off in coverage from years past. I think Hilton is having a down year too.
Reply/Quote
Center - offseason

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
RB2 is priority one. This is because Mixon while I like him is inept as a pass protector. Two of the three sacks yesterday occurred because Mixon did not pickup the rusher. Perine interestingly used to be bad at this too but did the work and got a lot better - wish Mixon would also. For now the only one in the RB/TE room who pass blocks correctly is Sample. Makes me think we need to see him more as a FB type of position back with Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 11:56 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Good list.

I'd say our interior offensive line is low-end NFL starters too. Not going to address that now.

I wasn't a fan of the Scott signing either as a starter. Our secondary just seems off in coverage from years past. I think Hilton is having a down year too.

Hilton has been awful this year, I agree. I think you can deal with that this year, but they need to look at better options next year. He has lost a step. 
Reply/Quote
The one extra step the Front Office needs to take to build an elite team is get busy in-season with moves to make the team better.

Whether that's by trading draft capital or signing a free-agent it needs to be done. You see SB teams make these type of moves all the time.

Our defense is extremely inconsistent. Really feeling the hurt of losing our secondary.

I understand the gripe about RB2 but I think this is a play-calling or Pollack issue.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 11:18 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: 4. Safety:

(10-09-2023, 11:43 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: I agree with safety.  The others are unrealistic at this point in the season.

Battle is processing and playing very slow.  Scott is much faster, although he misses some tackles and coverage is questionable at times.  This is not acceptable, until Battle can play with better speed we will have Scott IMO.

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 11:56 AM)jj22 Wrote: Center - offseason

I can get down with that. 

Karras has been bad. Everytime he floats a snap to Joe or Joe has to reach left or right to get the snap part of me dies. 
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 12:28 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Battle is processing and playing very slow.  Scott is much faster, although he misses some tackles and coverage is questionable at times.  This is not acceptable, until Battle can play with better speed we will have Scott IMO.

Absolutely. On the other hand, albeit inconsistent, Turner had some nice flashes yesterday. Especially in run support.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 01:03 PM)Wyche Wrote: Absolutely. On the other hand, albeit inconsistent, Turner had some nice flashes yesterday. Especially in run support.

Turner is showing some great traits, he and CTB should be a solid combo the next few years.

Reply/Quote