Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Team Needs for Next Season
(11-21-2016, 01:21 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Game is won or lost in the trenches. That should be obvious watching the 2016 Bengals. Draft accordingly......

This draft isn't a great top end O line draft. Only one highly touted tackle in Robinson form Alabama and then a bunch of interior guys who will get more late 1st and early 2nd grades. If we are picking top 10, which we are if the draft was today, then I think we have to go with the best options on the board. Those options probably are someone like Peppers (who would be a huge get), or one of the pass rushers which I am all for. I think we come back in the 2nd and 3rd with a Guard and Center combo. I wouldn't mind seeing us go WR in the 2nd as this class is littered with quality 2nd round type of guys like Darboh from Michigan.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 01:29 PM)Au165 Wrote: This draft isn't a great top end O line draft. Only one highly touted tackle in Robinson form Alabama and then a bunch of interior guys who will get more late 1st and early 2nd grades. If we are picking top 10, which we are if the draft was today, then I think we have to go with the best options on the board. Those options probably are someone like Peppers (who would be a huge get), or one of the pass rushers which I am all for. I think we come back in the 2nd and 3rd with a Guard and Center combo. I wouldn't mind seeing us go WR in the 2nd as this class is littered with quality 2nd round type of guys like Darboh from Michigan.

I'm thinking we go Peppers or Fournette.

Does Peppers play Safety or CB in the Pro's?

PFF has us drafting: Corey Davis, WR, Western Michigan at 7.
Reply/Quote
It's going to depend on whether the ownership is willing to pull the trigger or not. History indicates no, but on the other hand they have had a taste of winning for a few years and I just can't see them wanting to keep going backwards to Brownsville. 

The kicker is that we as fans really have no say in things. Sure, we can boycott and all that, but boycotts only go so far when they're guaranteed such lavish TV revenue. For all we know they view this whole season as just a 'hiccup' and believe that the team is just fine and dandy as is. It's not AS IF we have the option to vote out ownership every 4 years which is kind of too bad. Hell, for all I know the Brown family plans to move the team to some other unsuspecting city with hopes like LA of the Rams becoming overnight sensations.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 01:33 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'm thinking we go Peppers or Fournette.

Does Peppers play Safety or CB in the Pro's?

PFF has us drafting: Corey Davis, WR, Western Michigan at 7.

Pass on Fournette, that is a play after you build the line like the cowboys.....not before.

Peppers is probably a safetly LB hybrid like Deone Buchanon. Plays safety on early downs then comes down as a LB in Nickle, similar to what we did with Mays...but good.

Corey Davis could be the boom or bust pick of this draft. Guy is 6'3 220 and is a really good route runner. At that size some have said his 40 is around a 4.45 which would be slightly faster than AJ. I think Mike Williams from Clemson is the safer pick, but Davis could end up the better long term play.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 01:39 PM)Au165 Wrote: Pass on Fournette, that is a play after you build the line like the cowboys.....not before.

Peppers is probably a safetly LB hybrid like Deone Buchanon. Plays safety on early downs then comes down as a LB in Nickle, similar to what we did with Mays...but good.

Corey Davis could be the boom or bust pick of this draft. Guy is 6'3 220 and is a really good route runner. At that size some have said his 40 is around a 4.45 which would be slightly faster than AJ. I think Mike Williams from Clemson is the safer pick, but Davis could end up the better long term play.

My fear on Peppers is that they'll need a creative DC to use him. I don't see that here.

Zimmer used Roy Williams like that. In the box to stop the run and he moved him around. After Zimmer left Dallas, Williams struggled.
Reply/Quote
A new "GM" in charge of the draft. Honestly, whoever has been the brainchild of the drafts for last few years now needs fired or moved elsewhere and let someone else do it.

I'm not joking, but there are some folks in here that probably wouldnt have done a worse job than what they have.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 01:42 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: My fear on Peppers is that they'll need a creative DC to use him. I don't see that here.

Zimmer used Roy Williams like that. In the box to stop the run and he moved him around. After Zimmer left Dallas, Williams struggled.

It's not really "creative" anymore it is kind of the way the league is going. We have done this before with Taylor Mays, and we considered doing it again this year at one point. Keanu Neal was drafted alst year to play a similar roll and same with Sua Cravens in Washington. It is the future a bit to have a hybrid guy who can play all over.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 01:45 PM)Au165 Wrote: It's not really "creative" anymore it is kind of the way the league is going. We have done this before with Taylor Mays, and we considered doing it again this year at one point. Keanu Neal was drafted alst year to play a similar roll and same with Sua Cravens in Washington. It is the future a bit to have a hybrid guy who can play all over.

We did it with Zimmer. My comment is more an implication of the current coaching staff than the idea. I think it's a great idea.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 01:48 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We did it with Zimmer. My comment is more an implication of the current coaching staff than the idea. I think it's a great idea.

We tried it with the current staff with Mays to some extent....he just wasn't any good haha
Reply/Quote
I actually think our current secondary and LB corps would be somewhat serviceable if our defensive line was capable of generating pressure.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 01:52 PM)Big Boss Wrote: I actually think our current secondary and LB corps would be somewhat serviceable if our defensive line was capable of generating pressure.

That's the major issue I think we have on defense. When Zimmer was here, we got pressure from the front 4. Teams know now that they just have to double Atkins and chip Dunlap and it will slow us down.

MJ and Peko aren't really pass rushers. Plus we had an 8 man rotation. That's gone too.

The weak zone defense the Bengals play coupled with no pass rush has been the downfall of the defense.
Reply/Quote
This team needs a Hooker. Bad.

Along with 2DE's, 2OT, 2OG's, C, 3LB's, 2CB's, WR, TE.

But nothing will change as long as we have this coaching staff.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I really hope we try using some of some picks to try and sneak back into the first round. You know the Pats are always looking to grab more picks.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
To be honest apart from QB you could pretty much make a case for any position group being a team need.

I'd like a LB or DE but we've got to go best player available...my only caveat is that they are not a 'project' or 'potential' pick. We need a day 1 starter.
Reply/Quote
DE
LB
C
WR
G
S
CB
RB
From what I'm seeing this will be a good draft to pick up a RB and weak for OT. Better to give ced/fisher more time and sign a solid vet to back up.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 12:20 PM)pally Wrote: Jake Fisher is the heir apparent left tackle.  Why do we think he won't be able to do the job?  Center and guards are bigger needs.  We lost people for sure but I keep thinking all the coaching changes especially on defense are our biggest hurdle.

I also have zero confidence in Fisher. Look at all the other guys who were there to step up and didn't. Og just doesn't have it at all. Maybe a new OL coach will be able to turn him into a real starter, but if you go by what we are seeing on the field Og is bust and needs to be replaced. And given that Fisher can't take any time away from Og I don't see how we can think he's any better.

We need to draft two OTs, one for each side.

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 04:28 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I also have zero confidence in Fisher. Look at all the other guys who were there to step up and didn't. Og just doesn't have it at all. Maybe a new OL coach will be able to turn him into a real starter, but if you go by what we are seeing on the field Og is bust and needs to be replaced. And given that Fisher can't take any time away from Og I don't see how we can think he's any better.

We need to draft two OTs, one for each side.

I don't know. A new O-line coach and scheme could be huge. Evan Mathis struggled here and went to the Eagles who ran a different scheme and was dominant.

It's possible that a scheme switch makes it click for those guys.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 04:32 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I don't know. A new O-line coach and scheme could be huge. Evan Mathis struggled here and went to the Eagles who ran a different scheme and was dominant.

It's possible that a scheme switch makes it click for those guys.

Good point, maybe a zone blocking scheme rather than a power scheme could work wonders for us. Alexander is old school pulling and power scheme. Kubiaks zone blocking one cut scheme seems to be pretty effective.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 01:04 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Agree on Alexander! Evan Mathis did an interview several years ago. He was a bench player here, and went to the Eagles and graded out as the best Guard in football.

He basically said that the Eagles line coach was amazing and taught an aggressive blocking approach, where the Bengals had a passive one that let the defensive lineman engage.

I liked Evan Mathis also but we were way better than the Eagles from that point till the start of this season.
Reply/Quote
A general manager and a new owner. Please step down mike brown
Reply/Quote