Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Team needs/Wants/ Biggest Questions 2023 offseason
Needs
Offensive Tackle- Jonah Williams and La'ell Collins have been major disappointments to say the least. Neither one look like they should be here next season.

TE- Drew Sample and Hayden Hurst are both free agents this off season. Hurst looks like a nice piece for next season as the receiving TE but they could use a traditional TE to replace Sample.

Interior Pass Rusher- as of right now the Bengals don't have a star quality Interior pass rusher. Maybe Carter becomes that guy but he isn't jumping off the screen right now.

RB- Joe Mixon isn't cutting it right now, Sam Perine will be a free agent, and Captain America isn't getting snaps
for some reason.

4th WR- The Trio of Chase, Boyd, and Higgins is great but after that there is no depth.

Punter- They need a Punter Kevin Huber is not good anymore.

Wants

Stud Edge player- Trey Hendrickson and Hubbard are good players. Ossai looks like a promising player but all of three of those guys are one dimension players. It would be nice to get a complete game wrecker in the front 7 like a TJ Watt or Myles Garrett.

Questions

Tee Higgins Extension, Trade, or Punt until 2024 off season?

What Position is best for Dax Hill?

How big will Joe Burrows contract extension be next offseason?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
We need to draft a TE, Hurst is ok but we need depth and really more explosive TE that can be effective in middle of field. Agree we need some young blood at WR and could use more depth at DE
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Right now the Bengals are slated with a mid to late teens pick so some players off the top of my head...

(My favorites from top to bottom)

Cam Smith CB South Carolina
Paris Johnson OT Ohio State
Trenton Simpson LB Clemson
Michael Mayer TE Notre Dame
Peter Skoronski OT Northwestern
Bryan Bresee DT Clemson (Might go earlier but could slide. That's why I have him last on the list.)
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I can see OT as a potential need given how Collins and Williams are playing, but you aren't likely to get an upgrade at OT unless you're drafting one in (early) Rd 1.
So if you're going to get one, get one in Rd 1.

I'm 100% looking at a RB and TE in this draft, preferably on Day 2.
Hurst is solid but there's room for improvement. Plus, he's only on a one-year contract.
Mixon is underperforming and can free up $7 mill in cap space if team moves on.

WR is one that could be worthwhile to get to groom for a year before taking over for Boyd/Higgins when one (or both) departs after next season.

LB could be a need if Pratt walks, depending on how they feel about ADG and Bailey.

DB could also be a need based on how FA goes, but I'm willing to hold off at DB until we see how Hill and CTB develop by season's end.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 10:28 AM)Synric Wrote: Right now the Bengals are slated with a mid to late teens pick so some players off the top of my head...

(My favorites from top to bottom)

Cam Smith CB South Carolina
Paris Johnson OT Ohio State
Trenton Simpson LB Clemson
Michael Mayer TE Notre Dame
Peter Skoronski OT Northwestern
Bryan Bresee DT Clemson (Might go earlier but could slide. That's why I have him last on the list.)

I have a hard time trusting any Ohio St OL. They never seem to pan out.
I think the last one to pan out was maybe Taylor Decker, who was drafted in 2016?

I'd probably take Skoronski over Johnson, but I've been seeing him taken earlier and earlier in mocks.
Maybe Broderick Jones from Georgia? If Pollack is still around, he seems to prefer more of that mauler type, and he might be drawn to Jones as the new LT.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 01:46 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I have a hard time trusting any Ohio St OL. They never seem to pan out.
I think the last one to pan out was maybe Taylor Decker, who was drafted in 2016?

I'd probably take Skoronski over Johnson, but I've been seeing him taken earlier and earlier in mocks.
Maybe Broderick Jones from Georgia? If Pollack is still around, he seems to prefer more of that mauler type, and he might be drawn to Jones as the new LT.

Figured I'd get blow back from "Ohio State OL" quickly.

Nicholas Petit-Frere is playing pretty well for the Titans in his rookie year. He has a bunch of false starts but he's been damn good.

Johnson fits the spread offense because he is just so much more athletic than Skoronski. Johnson is also climbing the draft boards because he continues to get better and quickly. This is his first year at tackle after playing RG in 2021.... not to mention Paris Johnson is a 5 star recruit from Cincinnati lol. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 01:46 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I have a hard time trusting any Ohio St OL. They never seem to pan out.

I'm not so sure that Jones is going to be a "mauler" in the NFL, he hasn't even looked all that impressive against the likes of Iowa and Penn State the past two weeks.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 01:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not so sure that Jones is going to be a "mauler" in the NFL, he hasn't even looked all that impressive against the likes of Iowa and Penn State the past two weeks.

He's talking about Broderick Jones from Georgia who is probably going to go top 10 and the first Tackle off the board.

Dawand Jones is kinda... inconsistent right now especially with his pad level.

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 01:51 PM)Synric Wrote: Figured I'd get blow back from "Ohio State OL" quickly.

Nicholas Petit-Frere is playing pretty well for the Titans in his rookie year. He has a bunch of false starts but he's been damn good.

Johnson fits the spread offense because he is just so much more athletic than Skoronski. Johnson is also climbing the draft boards because he continues to get better and quickly. This is his first year at tackle after playing RG in 2021.... not to mention Paris Johnson is a 5 star recruit from Cincinnati lol. 

Despite actually being in the Nashville market, I haven't actually watched more than 1 or 2 Titans games, so I didn't realize NPF was even starting.

Shows how much I've been paying attention to NFL this year (not nearly as much as I used to).
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 02:48 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Despite actually being in the Nashville market, I haven't actually watched more than 1 or 2 Titans games, so I didn't realize NPF was even starting.

Shows how much I've been paying attention to NFL this year (not nearly as much as I used to).

Yea NPF has been playing Right Tackle and has a case for best rookie offensive lineman. 

Reply/Quote
RB, OT, TE, CB, WR - in BPA order, would be my preferred targets.

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 01:56 PM)Synric Wrote: He's talking about Broderick Jones from Georgia who is probably going to go top 10 and the first Tackle off the board.

Dawand Jones is kinda... inconsistent right now especially with his pad level.

Correct, I was talking about Broderick Jones, who hasn't allowed a sack all season and only 4 total pressures.
He has a really good 83.1 pass blocking grade this season according to PFF.
He hasn't allowed more than 1 total pressure in a single game this season.

It's funny you mention Broderick Jones as potential Top 10 and 1st OT off the board.
The CBS Sports mock I just saw about a week ago had Skoronski and Johnson before Jones, although Johnson was just 1 pick before. Skoronski 10, Johnson 19, Jones 20.

On a side note, if the Bengals added Bijan Robinson, I'd be ecstatic.
I know RB may upset some if Bengals take before every other position, but Robinson is special.
He'd be a bell cow stud for the Bengals, I think.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 05:46 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Correct, I was talking about Broderick Jones, who hasn't allowed a sack all season and only 4 total pressures.
He has a really good 83.1 pass blocking grade this season according to PFF.
He hasn't allowed more than 1 total pressure in a single game this season.

It's funny you mention Broderick Jones as potential Top 10 and 1st OT off the board.
The CBS Sports mock I just saw about a week ago had Skoronski and Johnson before Jones, although Johnson was just 1 pick before. Skoronski 10, Johnson 19, Jones 20.

On a side note, if the Bengals added Bijan Robinson, I'd be ecstatic.
I know RB may upset some if Bengals take before every other position, but Robinson is special.
He'd be a bell cow stud for the Bengals, I think.

At this point I'm leaning toward Jahmyr Gibbs if they are picking late first. Someone like Sean Tucker from Syracuse wouldnt be nice late day 2 but he probably goes late 2nd or early 3rd.

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 11:44 PM)J24 Wrote: Needs
Offensive Tackle- Jonah Williams and La'ell Collins have been major disappointments to say the least.  Neither one look like they should be here next season.

TE- Drew Sample and Hayden Hurst are both free agents this off season. Hurst looks like a nice piece for next season as the receiving TE but they could use a traditional TE to replace Sample.

Interior Pass Rusher- as of right now the Bengals don't have a star quality Interior pass rusher. Maybe Carter becomes that guy but he isn't jumping off the screen right now.

RB- Joe Mixon isn't cutting it right now, Sam Perine will be a free agent, and Captain America isn't getting snaps
for some reason.

4th WR- The Trio of Chase, Boyd, and Higgins is great but after that there is no depth.

Wants

Stud Edge player- Trey Hendrickson and Hubbard are good players. Ossai looks like a promising player but all of three of those guys are one dimension players. It would be nice to get a complete  game wrecker in the front 7 like a TJ Watt or Myles Garrett.

Questions

Tee Higgins Extension,  Trade, or Punt until 2024 off season?

I think you summarize the roster and upcoming offseason quite nicely. It reflects there is still a lot of work to be done if the team wants to get back to the Super Bowl.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 07:31 PM)Synric Wrote: At this point I'm leaning toward Jahmyr Gibbs if they are picking late first. Someone like Sean Tucker from Syracuse wouldnt be nice late day 2 but he probably goes late 2nd or early 3rd.

We also may need to come to reality that the Bengals might not actually be picking late in the rounds this year, but rather early-mid.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
As much as it pains me to say it - RT and LT are huge needs at this point.

As much as it pains me to say it - I have ZERO faith in their ability to draft one.

If I had to list the needs in order, I'd go this way:

1. LT (I'm not extending Jonah - at least not for 15-20 million per)
2. RT (Collins is on a 3 year deal, so we better start looking at that. Plus, he's been so up and down)
3. Interior pass rusher. (I know we re-signed Hill, but we need a guy that can actually get after the QB consistently)
4. CB (Apple has been serviceable, but Chido might take some time. You can never have too many of these guys)
5. WR

All that being said, if the season turns into an absolute disaster and we end up top 10 (which could happen with all the parody) - I would be pretty aggressive in moving up to get Will Andesron or Jalen Carter. Both would really make this defense special
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 04:17 PM)Synric Wrote: Yea NPF has been playing Right Tackle and has a case for best rookie offensive lineman. 

Not exactly a banner T class, though.  Honestly, the only real case he has is he hasn't allowed a sack yet, but the Titans have the fewest number of pass attempts in the league.  
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 11:44 PM)J24 Wrote: Needs
Offensive Tackle- Jonah Williams and La'ell Collins have been major disappointments to say the least.  Neither one look like they should be here next season.

for some reason.

Wants

Stud Edge player- Trey Hendrickson and Hubbard are good players. Ossai looks like a promising player but all of three of those guys are one dimension players. It would be nice to get a complete  game wrecker in the front 7 like a TJ Watt or Myles Garrett.

Questions

Tee Higgins Extension,  Trade, or Punt until 2024 off season?

If we can draft the next Watt or Garrett, the forking needs can wait till Day 2.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2022, 08:42 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: If we can draft the next Watt or Garrett, the forking needs can wait till Day 2.

True
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Does Mixon's performance against the Falcons change anyone's opinion of whether to find a RB heir in the draft?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote