Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teams are Blitzing us more
'What has happened, though, is teams blitzing Burrow without any answers. He has been blitzed on nearly 53% of his dropbacks over the first two weeks and averaged a league-worst 2.1 yards per dropback against extra pressure. A year ago, his 7.8 yards per dropback against blitzes ranked second. Teams were loath to blitz him and get carved up in man coverage against Higgins and Ja'Marr Chase, but it has worked in 2023.'

From: https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/insider/story/_/id/38425127/ranking-0-2-nfl-teams-2023-season-patriots-broncos-bengals-chargers-eliminated-playoffs-super-bowl

Also, last year Burrow was great out of an empty backfield. This year, we're hardly using it.

Another point made in the article was that when we drop 7 defenders into max coverage and don't blitz...it doesn't work. We're league worst.
Reply/Quote
Teams not he has a bum calf and he cant get outside the pocket and is limited. The team should have anticipated this and had plans to counter. Middle of the field, underneath stuff. Hasn't happened so far.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 11:46 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Teams not he has a bum calf and he cant get outside the pocket and is limited. The team should have anticipated this and had plans to counter. Middle of the field, underneath stuff. Hasn't happened so far.

That's just it. His throw on the run percentage is actually really good. Last year it was great.

'Has the calf injury impacted the star quarterback? It's tough to say. Burrow was the league's No. 1 passer on the run (traveling 8 or more mph while throwing) last season, posting a 131.5 passer rating. This season, while his numbers on the run are down, he's still posting a 112.1 rating on the run while actually trying those throws more often.'

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/insider/story/_/id/38425127/ranking-0-2-nfl-teams-2023-season-patriots-broncos-bengals-chargers-eliminated-playoffs-super-bowl

So it doesn't look like the issue has been his calf.
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
I'm watching the game again now. And one thing I'm noticing right off the bat. Joe is in the shotgun 99% of the time these first two games. If he has snaps under center it's not many. Anywho:

Our offensive line gives up to much ground right from the snap. The entire line backpedals in unison all the way to where Burrow's original spot was for shotgun snap within like 1 second.

I don't know if this is totally from Pollack's coaching or not. But watching other teams you don't see them surrendering that much ground, instantly.

Before anybody jumps my ass I'm not in any way making excuses for Burrow and trying to pin all our woes on Oline. Burrow is hurt and can't plant on that leg. You can see it. IMHO he needs to take at least the next two games off.

I'm simply saying our blocking philosophy isn't helping.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 12:39 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm watching the game again now. And one thing I'm noticing right off the bat. Joe is in the shotgun 99% of the time these first two games. If he has snaps under center it's not many. Anywho:

Our offensive line gives up to much ground right from the snap. The entire line backpedals in unison all the way to where Burrow's original spot was for shotgun snap within like 1 second.

I don't know if this is totally from Pollack's coaching or not. But watching other teams you don't see them surrendering that much ground, instantly.

Before anybody jumps my ass I'm not in any way making excuses for Burrow and trying to pin all our woes on Oline. Burrow is hurt and can't plant on that leg. You can see it. IMHO he needs to take at least the next two games off.

It's scheme where the line gives up ground.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 12:39 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm watching the game again now. And one thing I'm noticing right off the bat. Joe is in the shotgun 99% of the time these first two games. If he has snaps under center it's not many. Anywho:

I actually thought line played better yesterday My observation is more Burrow is too close to the line,  and his movement is more limited  and if calf is that much of an issue he needs to be back more.  I did not see the planting issue or any major limiting till the end of game.. I think mentally he is favoring the leg and  it has impacted his game.  I think he is hindering the team more now  with the calf issue and feel we should start Browning, he might be able to jump start this offense and the defense might rally around him  they have to play better as Joe heels.  We have a good enough team to beat the Rams without Burrow. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
8.9 YPA in 2021
7.4 YPA in 2022 (-1.5)
4.2 YPA in 2023 (-3.2)

At this rate next year with a decrease of 6-7, we'll be seeing a negative yardage passing game. Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote