Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Teams that start 0-3 have no play-off hopes
This is what the ex coaches on TV such as the Super Bowl champ ex Steelers Coach and Super Bowl Champ ex Cowboys Coach have said each year going into Week 3, and they should know. They always say that 0-2 teams have to play week 3 as if it's the play-offs, because for them it is. A good number of 0-2 teams have still made the play-offs, but almost no 0-3 teams make the play-offs. These winning coaches on TV would and probably will say again this year that 0-2 teams like The Bengals better have a Sense Of Urgency in Week 3, or else stick a fork in them, they are done.

That said, still GO BENGALS in Week 3

Tiger
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 03:26 PM)kevin Wrote: This is what the ex coaches on TV such as the Super Bowl champ ex Steelers Coach and Super Bowl Champ ex Cowboys Coach have said each year going into Week 3, and they should know.   They always say that 0-2 teams have to play week 3 as if it's the play-offs, because for them it is.  A good number of 0-2 teams have still made the play-offs,  but almost no 0-3 teams make the play-offs.  These winning coaches on TV would and probably will say again this year that 0-2 teams like The Bengals better have a Sense Of Urgency in Week 3, or else stick a fork in them, they are done.

That said,  still GO BENGALS in Week 3

Tiger

OMG, they said the same thing last year.
Reply/Quote
Have patients the season is not over till we are 0-7 or 0-8.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 03:26 PM)kevin Wrote: This is what the ex coaches on TV such as the Super Bowl champ ex Steelers Coach and Super Bowl Champ ex Cowboys Coach have said each year going into Week 3, and they should know.   They always say that 0-2 teams have to play week 3 as if it's the play-offs, because for them it is.  A good number of 0-2 teams have still made the play-offs,  but almost no 0-3 teams make the play-offs.  These winning coaches on TV would and probably will say again this year that 0-2 teams like The Bengals better have a Sense Of Urgency in Week 3, or else stick a fork in them, they are done.

That said,  still GO BENGALS in Week 3

Tiger

The Bengals are the only team to make the playoffs after starting 0-2 since the NFL went to the 14-team playoff system (2020). And only three teams in the history of the NFL won the Super Bowl after starting 0-2 and that was 16 years ago (The New York Giants).

A handful of teams did make the playoffs after starting 0-3. It's really tough getting to the Super Bowl starting 0-2 (and none made it, I believe starting 0-3) because it's hard to get the home field advantage when starting in such a hole. 

I would hope the Bengals see this as must-win game. They should be desperate to win. But they may not feel this way because of their success in the playoffs on the road the last two years. You would hope the kick in the gut from Cleveland on the road and Baltimore at home would shake off any complacency or believing their pre-season ratings means anything.
Reply/Quote
Why don’t we worry about that if/after we start 0-3
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 03:36 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: Have patients the season is not over till we are 0-7 or 0-8.

Here is a chart from after the 2013 season (16 games).  All playoff chances are pretty much dead after going 0-3.  Even 0-2 leaves a slim chance. Basically, it shows that just because a team is technically not eliminated, they rarely just turn it around after a terrible start.  

I think Joe starts over with the calf thing and misses 4-6 weeks.  Either they get serious about a backup QB this week or it's pretty much over if Joe doesn't play.  Let's be real.  We're not winning anything with Browning.  $13 million in cap space, but no plan at backup QB?  Mike Brown is alive and well my friends. 
Let's just roll that money over and save it for a rainy day.

[Image: zuvAJf59JyhRKYM1mvx4FGf7oGAg3PZoWMgkWSGc...52df2e5067]
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 04:35 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote:  [Image: zuvAJf59JyhRKYM1mvx4FGf7oGAg3PZoWMgkWSGc...52df2e5067]

Nice chart. I suppose it will change with the 17-game season, but it really does show how slim the odds are to start the season 0-3.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 04:42 PM)Nepa Wrote: Nice chart. I suppose it will change with the 17-game season, but it really does show how slim the odds are to start the season 0-3.

17 game season AND expanded playoffs. But true, the needle won't move THAT much. 

A lot of those years were also probably before the first couple of weeks and the last couple of weeks were intra-divisional heavy games. Bengals aren't only 0-2 on the season but 0-2 in the division. 

A hell of a hole to have to dig yourself out of. 
Reply/Quote
0-3 and it is done done.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
So does that mean if we go 0-3 the negative nellies will leave until next year?
Reply/Quote
[quote='2MinutesHate' pid='1393263' dateline='1695065744']

Here is a chart from after the 2013 season (16 games).  All playoff chances are pretty much dead after going 0-3.  Even 0-2 leaves a slim chance. Basically, it shows that just because a team is technically not eliminated, they rarely just turn it around after a terrible start.  

I think Joe starts over with the calf thing and misses 4-6 weeks.  Either they get serious about a backup QB this week or it's pretty much over if Joe doesn't play.  Let's be real.  We're not winning anything with Browning.  $13 million in cap space, but no plan at backup QB?  Mike Brown is alive and well my friends. 

I didn’t know Tees nickname was Rainy Day. Cool!
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 06:04 PM)Sled21 Wrote: So does that mean if we go 0-3 the negative nellies will leave until next year?

If that’s the case, let’s put Volson in as the QB on MNF
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 04:35 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: Here is a chart from after the 2013 season (16 games).  All playoff chances are pretty much dead after going 0-3.  Even 0-2 leaves a slim chance.  Basically, it shows that just because a team is technically not eliminated, they rarely just turn it around after a terrible start.  

[Image: zuvAJf59JyhRKYM1mvx4FGf7oGAg3PZoWMgkWSGc...52df2e5067]

Sorry I did not think I needed the  Sarcasm on my "Be patient the season is not over till  we are 0-7 or 0-8... Sarcasm Sarcasm Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 06:51 PM)lacesout87 Wrote: If that’s the case, let’s put Volson in as the QB on MNF

Bet he out preforms Burrows browns game stats.,,, Sarcasm Sarcasm Sarcasm Sarcasm Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 03:29 PM)Sled21 Wrote: OMG, they said the same thing last year.

They sure did. Those bastards. It's all about getting the fanbase riled. 

Reply/Quote
Everyone who says, it’s only September, or it’s just 0-2, or we were here last year….yeah and what did that get us. The number 3 seed, as Nick Wright says, a ticket to the Kansas City open. A home game in arrowhead. Yup, we went there once and won. And almost won last year. Out of 10 games on the road in KC, how many do we win? Now flip that, 10 games at Cinci vs KC, how many do we win. There is not that much that separates teams in the NFL, like say basketball or baseball. It’s Super Bowl or bust. And if we sneak in to the playoffs as a 5th or even 3rd seed again, can we make it to the Super Bowl? Yes it’s possible. But our window is always closing. Despite what JB says. We have to make the most of these seasons as we can. We don’t want a “it’s possible” season. We want to be the #1 seed, bye week and 2 home games for the Super Bowl.

That’s why a hot start was so critical. We’re now 0-2. How many games will the Chiefs lose this year? 2 or 3? So we have room to MAYBE lose 1 more, but it better not be to KC week 17. That is a must win.

Can we really run the table and go 15-2 or 14-3?

Again, I’m not saying this season is done, and we have no shot. Yes it’s possible to make the SB. But it’s not probable. But coming in to this season, I felt like this was our year. This was our time. I don’t see us going in to the playoffs and beating 3 top teams on the road to make the Super Bowl. Not because I lack trust or faith, but statistically speaking, the odds aren’t in your favor. Sadly, this is we’re we are at 0-2. If we go 0-3 we have no shot of a Super Bowl. Sneak in as a 5th/6th, on road vs Baltimore, on road vs Jacksonville/Miami/ Buffalo, and then on road vs Kansas City. Or at home vs Jacksonville/Miami and at home vs KC.

We may win the division. Even those odds aren’t great. But we’re not going to be the #1 seed.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 07:24 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: Everyone who says, it’s only September, or it’s just 0-2, or we were here last year….yeah and what did that get us. The number 3 seed, as Nick Wright says, a ticket to the Kansas City open. A home game in arrowhead. Yup, we went there once and won. And almost won last year. Out of 10 games on the road in KC, how many do we win? Now flip that, 10 games at Cinci vs KC, how many do we win. There is not that much that separates teams in the NFL, like say basketball or baseball. It’s Super Bowl or bust. And if we sneak in to the playoffs as a 5th or even 3rd seed again, can we make it to the Super Bowl? Yes it’s possible. But our window is always closing. Despite what JB says. We have to make the most of these seasons as we can. We don’t want a “it’s possible” season. We want to be the #1 seed, bye week and 2 home games for the Super Bowl.

That’s why a hot start was so critical. We’re now 0-2. How many games will the Chiefs lose this year? 2 or 3? So we have room to MAYBE lose 1 more, but it better not be to KC week 17. That is a must win.

Can we really run the table and go 15-2 or 14-3?

Again, I’m not saying this season is done, and we have no shot. Yes it’s possible to make the SB. But it’s not probable. But coming in to this season, I felt like this was our year. This was our time. I don’t see us going in to the playoffs and beating 3 top teams on the road to make the Super Bowl. Not because I lack trust or faith, but statistically speaking, the odds aren’t in your favor. Sadly, this is we’re we are at 0-2. If we go 0-3 we have no shot of a Super Bowl. Sneak in as a 5th/6th, on road vs Baltimore, on road vs Jacksonville/Miami/ Buffalo, and then on road vs Kansas City. Or at home vs Jacksonville/Miami and at home vs KC.

We may win the division. Even those odds aren’t great. But we’re not going to be the #1 seed.

It’s absolutely possible, but starting out in a hole every year is just absurd. They all count the same.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 07:36 PM)michaelsean Wrote: It’s absolutely possible, but starting out in a hole every year is just absurd. They all count the same.

Possible, yes. Likely, no.
Reply/Quote
I have a bad feeling about the Rams game this week. We could easily be 0-3. Especially if Joe doesn't play. I just hope we can get into the playoffs. Even as a seven seed.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 05:56 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I have a bad feeling about the Rams game this week. We could easily be 0-3. Especially if Joe doesn't play. I just hope we can get into the playoffs. Even as a seven seed.

PLAYOFFS. Hell I just want to see them win there first game this year.
Reply/Quote