Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Teams that start 0-3 have no play-off hopes
The reason most teams that start 0-3 don't make the playoffs is that most teams that start 0-3 are bad teams. It's rare to see an objectively good team start the season 0-3.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 07:24 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: Again, I’m not saying this season is done, and we have no shot. Yes it’s possible to make the SB. But it’s not probable. But coming in to this season, I felt like this was our year. This was our time. 

You had a lengthy post, but I wanted to distill it down to the above, which caught my attention, and with which I wholeheartedly agree.  2021 was the year we played with house money and above and beyond all expectation.  2022 was the inevitable follow-up year when you don't get as far as you might expect based on the prior year's results and are humbled a bit.  So 2023, I felt, was to be the year we finally win it all, and then we have this thoroughly disappointing start. Monday night will probably go a long way toward settling the issue.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 06:04 PM)Sled21 Wrote: So does that mean if we go 0-3 the negative nellies will leave until next year?

You mean the realistic fans? The ones that didn’t say, “It’s ok we lost the Super Bowl. We will be playing in many”. ‘It’s ok Ossai made one of the dumbest penalties I’ve seen. We will be back next year.” I like the, “we are fine” people. What does that mean? Fine is winning the Super Bowl. 
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 03:56 PM)Nepa Wrote: The Bengals are the only team to make the playoffs after starting 0-2 since the NFL went to the 14-team playoff system (2020). And only three teams in the history of the NFL won the Super Bowl after starting 0-2 and that was 16 years ago (The New York Giants).

A handful of teams did make the playoffs after starting 0-3. It's really tough getting to the Super Bowl starting 0-2 (and none made it, I believe starting 0-3) because it's hard to get the home field advantage when starting in such a hole. 

I would hope the Bengals see this as must-win game. They should be desperate to win. But they may not feel this way because of their success in the playoffs on the road the last two years. You would hope the kick in the gut from Cleveland on the road and Baltimore at home would shake off any complacency or believing their pre-season ratings means anything.

Yeah, this team once it finds itself can change all the narratives. They could go 0-3 and Burrow and the entire team gets hot in the 4th 
game and could go on a 14 game winning streak and it wouldn't surprise me. Especially after last season and the way both of these 
seasons have started. We will see, would be nice to get that first win Monday night though that is for sure.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 06:04 PM)Sled21 Wrote: So does that mean if we go 0-3 the negative nellies will leave until next year?

Nope we'll just be talking about how we'll mess up the draft. 
Reply/Quote

I'm a self made nervous Nellie, but I'll still watch games unless they're getting stomped on a regular weekly basis and it causes me to develop ulcers. The health of my stomach is more important to me than the fate of the Bengals win/loss record.. Yeah, I know. I'm not a real fan and I'm too selfish that way..Extreme stomach pain isn't exactly something that I aspire to..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't buy into stats and trends like this, because every situation is an entirely different spot. For example, big different between the 0-2 Patriots and 0-2 Cardinals.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2023, 01:07 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Nope we'll just be talking about how we'll mess up the draft. 

Ye have little faith..When have the Bengals EVER messed up the draft? Well there was that one time... Mellow  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
So, I want to go to the playoffs...but, IF we suck this year, WR Marvin Harrison Jr and we can trade Tee. Or there are 3 tackles projected to go Top 11.

So there is a silver lining.

I'd much rather win.

Imagine if we tank and get the #1 pick...what we could trade that for? We could probably get 3-4 1st Round picks.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 07:46 PM)125250 Wrote: You mean the realistic fans? The ones that didn’t say, “It’s ok we lost the Super Bowl. We will be playing in many”. ‘It’s ok Ossai made one of the dumbest penalties I’ve seen. We will be back next year.” I like the, “we are fine” people. What does that mean? Fine is winning the Super Bowl. 

Dammit, I told you guys to quit leaving the door open. Every time you do another chefs fan come stumbling in drunk
Reply/Quote
Whats the 0 - # that gets Taylor Replaced?

While possible to go on a Run latter.... 0-3 leaves little to no room for Losses down the line
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2023, 04:40 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Whats the 0 - # that gets Taylor Replaced?

While possible to go on  a Run latter....  0-3 leaves little to no room for Losses down the line

I would say he needs to go 0-34 in a row
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2023, 04:40 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Whats the 0 - # that gets Taylor Replaced?

While possible to go on  a Run latter....  0-3 leaves little to no room for Losses down the line

Right wrong or otherwise, I don't see ZT being replaced for a long time regardless of how the seasons play out.   My crystal ball says that ZT declines an extension sometime in the late 2030's. 
Reply/Quote
Welppp

0-3 is pretty much a lock

I don’t see JB playing for 4+ games.

The 3-4 weeks he sat out the first for clearly wasn’t enough.
Reply/Quote
11 wins will make the playoffs. I would say 10 wins but it matters that we are 0-2 in our division and in the conference. We are running out of games to not lose 4 more games if we drop one this Monday.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2023, 03:36 AM)puddycat Wrote: 11 wins will make the playoffs.  I would say 10 wins but it matters that we are 0-2 in our division and in the conference.  We are running out of games to not lose 4 more games if we drop one this Monday.

You realize division play isn't even remotely over, right?
Reply/Quote
You start 0-3.. yeah it sucks and its uphill. That said, you just need to go 10-4 the rest of the way to put yourself in a good position to get into the playoffs... if Joe can get healthy, there's no reason that they can't.

They were 3-3 vs the division last year, and started 0-3 against the Browns, Steelers and Ravens if I remember correctly.

There have been plenty of crazy examples of teams either going on a big run or imploding after a hot start... Hope is alive until the math says it isn't.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2023, 08:31 AM)Sled21 Wrote: You realize division play isn't even remotely over, right?

Yeah, we started out 0-3 in the Division last year and went .500 in the Division.
Reply/Quote
Meh, these stats don't account for 17 game season or an extra playoff team. 0-3 will start getting in teams into the playoffs with the new setup. We will be the first.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2023, 01:27 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, we started out 0-3 in the Division last year and went .500 in the Division.

Actually, it was 0-2 then we beat the Jets.  However, we should've beat the Steelers (nobody to snap the ball) and the Cowboy game was pretty close.
This season has an entirely different feel plus Joe is injured.

I'd bet anyone on this board $20 if we go 0-3, we do not make the playoffs.  I don't think that makes me a negative fan because we have a great team but our QB is hurt.  Who knows? Maybe Browning proves me wrong.  The rest of the team may just elevate him.  We're loaded.

If Joe can't run move out of the pocket when necessary, might as well get him out of there while his head is still attached to his neck.

"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote