Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tecmo Not so Super Mock Draft 1.0
This is my first ever attempt at a meaningful mock draft. Thus the "Not so Super" qualifier. I tried to avoid a "fantasy-GM perspective" and base my picks on who realistically might be available each round. I welcome your thoughts and go easy on me, boys.

Round 1, pick 31: Nakobe Dean, LB from Georgia
He's a three-down LB and aligns with Zac's criteria for liking players who have experience in the big games. He's a quick player and immediately strengthens the LB position.

[Image: USATSI_14997527.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1]

Round 2, pick 63: Phidarian Mathis, DL from Alabama
Again, I'm looking for players that fit Zac's mold. He's from a program that plays in the big time games and he's been a team captain. He'll join the DL rotation.

[Image: Phidarian-Mathis.jpg]

Round 3, pick 95: Kenneth Walker III, RB from Michigan St.
The Bengals see Walker III as a great value pick and a means for allowing Mixon to minimize wear & tear on his body. Walker III is both a Walter Camp and Doak Walker winner. If Mixon gets hurt or is a future salary cap cut, then Walker III can start.

[Image: USATSI_16828775.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1]

Round 4, pick 136: Jalyn Armour-Davis, CB from Alabama
Perhaps a bit of a reach at pick 136, but the Bengals find a way to increase depth at CB while also yet again picking a player from a big time program.

[Image: Jalyn-Armour-Davis.jpg]

Round 5, pick 174: Matt Araiza, P from San Diego St.
The Bengals struck gold last year by drafting McPherson. They don't shy away from taking a Punter and view it as a value pick by gaining an instant starter. They don't care about any criticism received with this pick.

[Image: Matt-Araiza.jpg?w=956&h=538]

Round 6, pick 209: Andrew Stueber, OL from Michigan
This pick is all about adding OL depth and Stueber comes from a team with college playoff experience and tough match-ups against Big 10 teams.

[Image: 1229760044.jpg]

Round 7, pick 226: Jack Coan, QB from Notre Dame
He's 6'3"/223 lbs. and ends up a practice squad/developmental player while adding to organizational QB depth. He's the '23 - '24 Burrow backup after Allen isn't resigned.

[Image: https%3A%2F%2Fslapthesign.com%2Fwp-conte...38515.jpeg]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Not bad but you definitely have to draft a TE. this class is deep and Hurst is one a 1 year deal and Sample is a FA after this year...we have no depth at WR/KR/PR either. If you took the CB Jones from Houston he is one of the best returners in the draft you kill 2 birds with one stone.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2022, 12:22 PM)pulses Wrote: Not bad but you definitely have to draft a TE. this class is deep and Hurst is one a 1 year deal and Sample is a FA after this year...we have no depth at WR/KR/PR either. If you took the CB Jones from Houston he is one of the best returners in the draft you kill 2 birds with one stone.

I appreciate the feedback. I intentionally opted to skip picking a TE because I think the Bengals are satisfied with Hurst/Sample/Moss for TE depth. I think they might look to offer Hurst an extension if he starts off hot.

Regarding KR/PR, I admittedly didn't do any work researching who was a good fit from players available in the draft. I agree, the current roster is lacking in that area but worst case, the Bengals will plug in guys already on the roster.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2022, 12:36 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I appreciate the feedback. I intentionally opted to skip picking a TE because I think the Bengals are satisfied with Hurst/Sample/Moss for TE depth. I think they might look to offer Hurst an extension if he starts off hot.

Regarding KR/PR, I admittedly didn't do any work researching who was a good fit from players available in the draft. I agree, the current roster is lacking in that area but worst case, the Bengals will plug in guys already on the roster.

They might be, but they are also in a spot where they have to look forward and manage contracts and dollars.

I also would be shocked if they don't take a lineman in the first 3 rounds.  I would hate taking a LB at 31.   
Reply/Quote
I think you almost have to take a S for depth at some point in the draft. Being fair, the S market has been pretty soft this year and there's a ton of decent ones still out there in FA, so I would say you could potentially get one there.

WR is a spot where we have bodies behind the big three, but no real quality depth. I'd personally like that addressed at some point.

I'm not a fan of going LB early, but Dean would almost certainly be the BPA if he's there at 31, so I can't complain about you drafting the best player on the board. Pratt is in contract year, anyways. If we wound up with Dean and Walker, I'd be pretty happy. Good job.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2022, 12:39 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: They might be, but they are also in a spot where they have to look forward and manage contracts and dollars.

I also would be shocked if they don't take a lineman in the first 3 rounds.  I would hate taking a LB at 31.   

Fair point, my premise was taking the best player available at pick 31 with the notion that the talented OL & CBs are already off the board at pick 31.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2022, 12:39 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: They might be, but they are also in a spot where they have to look forward and manage contracts and dollars.

Offensive line is no longer a glaring need. We have 3+ years control if needed for all of our starters (if we use the 5th year for Jonah-all but guaranteed and then FT him-possible). If we re-sign Spain id say there is a good chance we don’t draft o line in the first 3 rounds and possibly at all.

Id be surprised if they don’t take a TE this draft for depth and to develop.

LB at 31 would be a surprise, think trade back would be more likely if they are looking at him seriously when pick 31 is on the board.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2022, 01:10 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Offensive line is no longer a glaring need. We have 3+ years control if needed for all of our starters (if we use the 5th year for Jonah-all but guaranteed and then FT him-possible). If we re-sign Spain id say there is a good chance we don’t draft o line in the first 3 rounds and possibly at all.

Id be surprised if they don’t take a TE this draft for depth and to develop.

LB at 31 would be a surprise, think trade back would be more likely if they are looking at him seriously when pick 31 is on the board.

I agree and it's one reason I went LB with the pick. A lot of mocks have us going CB or still looking to solidify the OL. I don't think the instant-starter or significant contributor to the defense CB is available at pick 31, and I don't think we intend to pick an OL because of the three FA signings. I decided to roll with who is the best player available that might be there at 31 and who aligns with some of what Zac looks for in players. Hence, my LB selection. Thanks for the feedback.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2022, 01:10 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Id be surprised if they don’t take a TE this draft for depth and to develop.

I'm betting TE is high on their board. Drew Sample has been a solid blocking Y but doesn't give you that 11 personnel TE receiving threat. Hayden Hurst is an ok receiver but not a good blocker. Hurst was also an afterthought in free agency after failing to get CJ Uzomah or Tyler Conklin (both went to the Jets and their Wide Zone scheme).

Linebacker has never been high on the Bengals board and the prices are dropping in free agency because of how FA Linebackers have struggled after switching teams... Not to mention for once the Bengals have a solid linebacker core crazy right?
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Might be really smart of Nakobe Dean not working out at the combine or pro day. Unless it's just time needed for recovery. He says he is going to work out mid April. If he ends up blowing up the workout everybody will start thinking he goes really high again. I've always assumed he would go early. If he doesn't do too hot at the workout he could be there at 31. All those guys on Georgia's D seem like quality players and I wouldn't mind loading up on them.

KW3 isn't a personal fav but I was thinking about Breece Hall (he is going to be a TD machine) at 31 other day so KW3 in the 3rd would be cool.

I haven't given much thought to Stueber. But damn that dude is big. Put 20lbs on him and he is bigger in every way than that monster Ben Cleveland from Georgia who the Ravens took last year.
Reply/Quote