Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ted Cruz and wife harrassed
(09-25-2018, 10:07 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: It's ok now to harrass and intimidate someone who is different than you.

This is the left, this has always been the left.

I've lost all respect for every lefty on this forum.

Always. Hate the way they use the actions of a few to characterize entire groups.

I think that is why "the Left" has backed all these civil rights movements in the U.S: women, blacks, Hispanics, and gays.

Hating on difference just because it's different.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-25-2018, 09:17 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: No, you are 100% wrong.  I've been at a public place and seen someone I've personally arrested.  Would I be right to go over to that person and accost them, shouting "get out criminal"?   

Depends.

Do you pay their salary? And with that paid salary, do they abuse the public trust?

If the answer is "yes" and "yes" then, yes.

If the answer is "no, this is just someone I arrested and not a public servant who has abused and manipulated the system" then... no, of course not. 

But I do like that you're drawing a parallel between elected officials and criminals.  ThumbsUp
(09-25-2018, 10:56 PM)Benton Wrote: Depends.

Do you pay their salary?

I work in the public sector.  By that logic anyone is free to harass me as well.

Quote:And with that paid salary, do they abuse the public trust?

In the opinion of whom?

Quote:If the answer is "yes" and "yes" then, yes.

No, it's not remotely that clear cut as I've just stated.

Quote:If the answer is "no, this is just someone I arrested and not a public servant who has abused and manipulated the system" then... no, of course not. 

So your position is that harassing public servants you "feel" have wronged you is fine.  Harassing a known criminal is not.

Quote:But I do like that you're drawing a parallel between elected officials and criminals.  ThumbsUp

You're going to get me in trouble with that one.  Ninja
(09-25-2018, 10:07 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: It's ok now to harrass and intimidate someone who is different than you.

Both sides do that (alt-right, anyone?; hell, even just far right these days). That doesn't make it right.

But harassing politicians isn't the same as having words with someone on the street who has a different view point.

We elect people to have the best interest of the people in mind. Not always the majority (the majority isn't always right just by being in the majority), but to act in the best interest. That's why they get paid, perks, and — more importantly — privy to information the common person doesn't get. 

Honestly, can you name a dozen members of Congress who genuinely act in the best interest of the people?

As I said, lawmakers by and large are removed from the populace. The people they serve aren't 90% of America any more, it's a very narrow socio-economic group. And they need to hear that people realize this and aren't cool with stagnant wages, high unemployment and raising cost of living, and increased taxes.
(09-25-2018, 10:59 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I work in the public sector.  By that logic anyone is free to harass me as well.

In the opinion of whom?

No, it's not remotely that clear cut as I've just stated.

So your position is that harassing public servants you "feel" have wronged you is fine.  Harassing a known criminal is not.

You're going to get me in trouble with that one.  Ninja

1st- If you're abusing authority, putting yourself above the public good, etc., then, yeah, I don't have a real issue with it. Although, to be honest, it's not the same. And I'm pretty sure you know that, but are looking for low hanging fruit here (which I gave you cause you deserve an easy one now and then). As a public employee, you're hired and fired by someone, and required to adhere to standards. Congress rewrites those standards to benefit their bank accounts, and no one can really hold them accountable. And, sure, you can view elections as holding them accountable, but, honestly, very few people make it to that level if they're not corruptible. Choosing "guy who's getting bribed" over "guy about to be bribed" isn't a real super choice.

And, I'll be honest, I'd take the money. I'm morally fit, but, damn, I'd like a huge bankrupt. So, if you elect me to Congress, I'd be like 90 percent of lawmakers and just abuse the hell out of campaign funds, lobbyist dollars, etc. I think I wouldn't lower my own taxes, or pass laws to benefit my own interests, so there's that. But, yeah, I completely get where they are cool with getting handfuls of cash thrown at them by special interests. That doesn't make it ok, though.

2nd- The public.
3rd- Well... crap... I think it is. I'll agree to disagree.  Mellow
4th- It's not really about feelings. The overwhelming majority of lawmakers are taking a strapon to taxpayers to make sure they get ****** twice. 
5th- The bait is there...  Smirk
(09-25-2018, 11:02 PM)Benton Wrote: Both sides do that (alt-right, anyone?; hell, even just far right these days). That doesn't make it right.

But harassing politicians isn't the same as having words with someone on the street who has a different view point.

We elect people to have the best interest of the people in mind. Not always the majority (the majority isn't always right just by being in the majority), but to act in the best interest. That's why they get paid, perks, and — more importantly — privy to information the common person doesn't get. 

Honestly, can you name a dozen members of Congress who genuinely act in the best interest of the people?

As I said, lawmakers by and large are removed from the populace. The people they serve aren't 90% of America any more, it's a very narrow socio-economic group. And they need to hear that people realize this and aren't cool with stagnant wages, high unemployment and raising cost of living, and increased taxes.
Sure both sides do it; however, I'm going to go out on  a limb and suggest you only put your support behind one side doing it.

I'll assume you're not a fan of special interests if Congress' job is to support the best interest of most of the people.

Talking out of both sides of one's mouth is not a good trait. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

When I see things like what is refereed to in the OP, I think to myself; how can adults support such behavior. Then I see the accepting in this forum showing me how they can.

As has been said kudos to Cruz's opponent in this race. He has shown true civility.

(09-25-2018, 11:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Sure both sides do it; however, I'm going to go out on  a limb and suggest you only put your support behind one side doing it.

I'll assume you're not a fan of special interests if Congress' job is to support the best interest of most of the people.

Talking out of both sides of one's mouth is not a good trait. 

To the bold, agreed. Super glad I don't do that.

To the first, sure, think what you want. I don't really care. Your side, the side you think is against you... it's mostly the same side, at least as far as special interest voting goes.
(09-25-2018, 09:00 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Politicians open themselves up to criticism whenever they're out in public. Often times they can make a citizen's experiences harder because of their decisions. In which case, citizens are free to reciprocate.

I personally would counsel people to be bigger than that, but at the end of the day, we all have the right to be dicks. I hope his kids weren't there. That would not be fair to them and would make these people even more disappointing.

Completely agree, here. It's not behavior I would engage in or would say someone should engage in, but free speech and all. I know this conversation continued on, and bfine, you're right that just because you have the right doesn't make it right, but that's why Pat isn't saying what they did was right. He said that he "would counsel people to be bigger than that."

There isn't any condoning or excusing of the behavior with Pat's comments, but it's likely he isn't shedding any tears for Cruz in this instance.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(09-26-2018, 09:03 AM)Belsnickel Wrote:   I know this conversation continued on, and bfine, you're right that just because you have the right doesn't make it right, but that's why Pat isn't saying what they did was right. He said that he "would counsel people to be bigger than that."

Just to clarify, my comments aren't directed toward the Cruz incident.  I haven't watched the video and don't really care to (it doesn't bother me if someone says mean things to someone as sleazy as Ted Cruz). In general, I don't have any problem with people speaking their mind to politicians in public, especially if those politicians are saying one thing and voting another.

This is the left, this has always been the left.

I've lost all respect for every lefty on this forum.

I thought the right-wing was the side that scoffed at the pc movement and the "need" for safe spaces?  Now the left-wing is being mean and uncivil and it is disgusting.  I honestly can't keep up with the perception that civility is good or bad with all this bi-partisan crap going on. I'm not trying to be a smart-arse here, or pull they "they do it too" thing, but wasn't "your feelings don't matter" a bit of a rallying cry of the proud delporables who are now weeping crocodile tears for Raphael Cruz?
(09-25-2018, 01:14 PM)Vlad Wrote: You can't shame liberals because they know no shame. Anything they do is cool.

These adorable morally superior left wingers harass Ted and his wife, then post the video.
They are sooooo sure Kavanaugh is an abuser of women...

https://www.theblaze.com/news/2018/09/24/left-wing-agitators-disrupt-ted-cruz-dining-with-his-wife-and-proudly-post-video

Ted Cruz gets ran out of a restaurant.

Dr Ford gets ran out of her house by death threats.

So which side is cooler, Vlad?
I heard they threw Cruz out of that restaurant because they thought he had rabies.
(09-27-2018, 04:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Ted Cruz gets ran out of a restaurant.

Dr Ford gets ran out of her house by death threats.

So which side is cooler, Vlad?

Steve Scalise, and other GOP congresspeople were nearly murdered.

So which side is cooler, Fred?
(09-27-2018, 10:23 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Steve Scalise, and other GOP congresspeople were nearly murdered.

Maybe Americans are just violent people who need a social enema. 
(09-28-2018, 12:27 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Maybe Americans are just violent people who need a social enema. 

Let's say that's the case, what would be the solution?
(09-27-2018, 10:23 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Steve Scalise, and other GOP congresspeople were nearly murdered.

Abortion doctors WERE murdered.

My answer is "neither".  What is Vlad's and yours?
(09-28-2018, 09:02 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Let's say that's the case, what would be the solution?

Hell if I know...the usual response to anger and violence is more anger and violence.
(09-28-2018, 10:48 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Abortion doctors WERE murdered.

My answer is "neither".  What is Vlad's and yours?

WHEN did abortion DRs become Politicians? The discussion was about the treatment of elected officials. It this one of those Red Birdy things?

(09-28-2018, 03:09 PM)bfine32 Wrote: WHEN did abortion DRs become Politicians? The discussion was about the treatment of elected officials. It this one of those Red Birdy things?

The discussion was not limited to politicians.