Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ted Karras C/G PFF trade rumor
Article on PFF has Bengals possibly going after Ted Karras of the Patriots in a possible trade

Bill Belichick maintained a dynasty for two decades largely on the understanding that it’s better to be early than late on a personnel move. The New England Patriots made the tough decision to move on from 2019 Defensive Player of the Year cornerback Stephon Gilmore after the two sides couldn’t come to an agreement on an extension, and here they continue to make small moves to prepare for another important offseason in 2022.

Karras ending up in New England this season after a stint with the Miami Dolphins was a strange circumstance, with New England Patriots incumbent starting center David Andrews also being a free agent. The belief in league circles was that one of Andrews or Karras would sign with the Miami Dolphins and Brian Flores. Instead, both landed in New England.

Although it comes on a small sample size, Karras has the eighth-best pass-blocking grade among interior offensive linemen through Week 5 — an 81.3 grade on 57 pass-blocking snaps — after splitting time at left and right guard.

Frankly, Karras is too good to not be starting somewhere. The Bengals robbed the New York Giants blind in trading away 2018 first-round pick center Billy Price, but starter Trey Hopkins tore his ACL in Week 17 of 2020 and may need some more time to get back to 100%. Hopkins has a 31.9 pass-blocking grade through Week 5 in 2021, over thirty points lower than any season in his career since 2016.

The downside is minimal if anything, as Karras can also serve as a quality reserve interior offensive lineman. Cincinnati acquired a conditional seventh-round pick from the Giants in the Price trade, so the team could end up with interior defensive lineman B.J. Hill and interior offensive lineman Ted Karras for a swap of seventh-rounders. If the Bengals want to keep quarterback Joe Burrow upright and healthy and make a serious playoff push, beefing up their interior could be the key.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2021, 11:33 PM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: Article on PFF has Bengals possibly going after Ted Karras of the Patriots in a possible trade

I would be down, good player and we need to add depth at Center and Guard with D'Ante being banged up and Hill having a 
bit of trouble with penalties in his first outing. Carman having food poisoning also being taken into account as he might lose a 
little weight and strength from it. Bring in Karras.
Reply/Quote
I’d be all for trading a later round pick for him but consider this:

What if Bill sees the Bengals want him and requests Tyler Shelvin, a player he supposedly really wanted in this past draft (I think I read that somewhere?)? Would you do it? Shelvin has been a healthy inactive all year if I’m not mistaken so maybe the Bengals view him as a project this year or a fall back option in case Reader or Josh T get hurt? Is this guy good enough to take and keep Hopkins’s job as a viable upgrade or would we be trading a depth piece for a depth piece of that trade happened?
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2021, 02:04 AM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: I’d be all for trading a later round pick for him but consider this:

What if Bill sees the Bengals want him and requests Tyler Shelvin, a player he supposedly really wanted in this past draft (I think I read that somewhere?)? Would you do it? Shelvin has been a healthy inactive all year if I’m not mistaken so maybe the Bengals view him as a project this year or a fall back option in case Reader or Josh T get hurt? Is this guy good enough to take and keep Hopkins’s job as a viable upgrade or would we be trading a depth piece for a depth piece of that trade happened?

Josh Tupou, BJ Hill and Larry Ogunjobi are all free agents next year and may be hard to sign them all back so I think Shelvin was drafted with this in mind.
Reply/Quote
Karras definitely appears to be worthy of consideration.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2021, 02:04 AM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: I’d be all for trading a later round pick for him but consider this:

no, but I would like to kick the tires on a potential trade for a later pick.   Wonder if we might see Deion Calhoun back?  I would really like to try and sign the infamous Forrest Lamp, and am surprised we haven't at least had him for a visit.  Other teams have recently.  
Reply/Quote
Yeah this is a no brainer idea. With 17 games you need depth and he may be able to start at center and slide over if we need him to. Could use one more corner too.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2021, 01:21 AM)phil413 Wrote: Yeah this is a no brainer idea.  With 17 games you need depth and he may be able to start at center and slide over if we need him to.  Could use one more corner too.

Agree, this is still my hope, to see this guy in stripes this week before the deadline.
Reply/Quote
I called this
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 02:53 PM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: I called this

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote

I must have missed this.

What did we give up in trade?
Reply/Quote

Called what? You definitely called we were interested in him. Or PFF did.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 03:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I must have missed this.

What did we give up in trade?

(03-16-2022, 03:29 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Called what? You definitely called we were interested in him. Or PFF did.

C’mon guys! Just let him have this.
Reply/Quote