Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ted Karras Extended One Year
(06-13-2024, 01:18 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He was fantastic down the stretch last season.

Yep! 

That's also where Cordell Volson's play jumped as well. It's also where we went under center more and also actively did things to confuse defenses. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2024, 01:01 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Matt Lee measured at 6'4", 301 lbs at the Combine.
He has >32" arm length.
He is reported to have great core strength and good foundational pass protection skills.
His RAS was 8.66.

Compare him to Ravens C and many people's favorite C prospect in last year's draft, Tyler Linderbaum.
Linderbaum had a 8.82 RAS.
Linderbaum measured at 6'2", 296 lbs.
Arm length just above 31".

Last year, Linderbaum played 917 offensive snaps, allowing 0 sacks and 15 total pressures.

I'm not saying Matt Lee will be exactly Linderbaum or is quite as athletic as him (TL is elite athletically compared to Lee being good), but there are a lot of similarities.
Let's give the guy a chance to show what he's got before writing him off.

Not sure what above average athleticism is going to do for a guy whose scouting profile has him tabbed as struggling to track and lock onto defenders in space, but like I said before, I hope that he grows and develops.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2024, 09:43 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Nice move!

https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals-roster-moves-ted-karras-extended-kris-jenkins-signed

Made my day! Great move, we haven't had a good Center for a long damn time and they don't grow on trees as we should know better
than about any team's fans. Ted Karras is a good Center and has great chemistry with Burrow and the rest of the OL. This gives us some
cushion in Matt Lee or another young Center to come in prepared in a couple years. Let's win a SB now.

Rock on Ted! Congrats!!! Rock On
Reply/Quote
#Bengals center Ted Karras' new deal puts him at $6.6 million per year on average over 2024 and 2025, per source. So, it's essentially a two-year, $13.2M deal starting now.

Ted Karras signed a 1 year , $6,800,000 contract with the Cincinnati Bengals, including an average annual salary of $6,800,000. In 2024, Karras will earn a base salary of $5,800,000 and a workout bonus of $100,000, while carrying a cap hit of $7,400,000.

This puts Karras around 8-9 as far as highest paid centers in the NFL. Not bad teddy.
Reply/Quote
Glad to see these moves.
Reply/Quote
Ted brings a lot more to the team than on field play. Until he becomes a liability there; I'm happy to have him.

Now that dude to his left.....
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-13-2024, 04:46 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Ted brings a lot more to the team than on field play. Until he becomes a liability there; I'm happy to have him.

This is a correct answer, at least the first part. Ted is an above average C, but his impact on the team is bigger than just between the lines for 60 minutes.

I think this is Volsons make or break year.
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2024, 04:46 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Ted brings a lot more to the team than on field play. Until he becomes a liability there; I'm happy to have him.

Yeah, I will agree instead of defending Volson. He needs to start this season strong and play like it all year long.

(06-13-2024, 04:49 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: This is a correct answer, at least the first part.  Ted is an above average C, but his impact on the team is bigger than just between the lines for 60 minutes.  

I think this is Volsons make or break year.

Think so too, thanks for the numbers on Ted BTW...

Like you said, not bad, actually it is damn good money lol

Just hope he keeps playing like he did late last season. Start out strong Ted along with the entire OL please...
Reply/Quote
When I was watching Mixon’s highlights from last year, it looked to me like Karras getting more push than anyone else on the line. Glad to have him another year.

I know it’s probably not a fair comparison considering Jason Kelce is a HoFer, but he played 13 years. This will be Karras’ 9th. And the extension 10th. It would be nice if he would be willing to keep doing one year extensions until he is ready to call it a career.
Reply/Quote
It wouldn't surprise me if Ted finishes his career in Cincy as the backup IOL for a season or two at 34 or 35.

Congrats Ted.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
great player and person. Personifies what the Bengals organization is all about. nice.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Nothing to dislike about re-signing a team leader.

Solid move.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2024, 06:24 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Nothing to dislike about re-signing a team leader.

Solid move.

Would be happy with a similar deal for Hilton, hedge against Dax hill.
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2024, 11:40 AM)ochocincos Wrote: They may already have in Matt Lee.

True enough. I like that late round flyer, even if he is a Hurricane. Tongue

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-14-2024, 09:04 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Would be happy with a similar deal for Hilton, hedge against Dax hill.

If you're having to hedge against a 1st round pick in their 3rd year in the league, something is definitely wrong with that draft pick.
I would HOPE this wouldn't be needed, but I can understand having insurance.

Matt Lee on the other hand is a complete unknown and late round draft pick, so he should be (much) further behind compared to someone like Hill.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-13-2024, 09:31 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: When I was watching Mixon’s highlights from last year, it looked to me like Karras getting more push than anyone else on the line. Glad to have him another year.

I know it’s probably not a fair comparison considering Jason Kelce is a HoFer, but he played 13 years. This will be Karras’ 9th. And the extension 10th. It would be nice if he would be willing to keep doing one year extensions until he is ready to call it a career.

That's what they did with Rich  Braham. I was always irritated they would nickel and dime the guy and only shell out $1M for him each time...
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2024, 12:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If you're having to hedge against a 1st round pick in their 3rd year in the league, something is definitely wrong with that draft pick.
I would HOPE this wouldn't be needed, but I can understand having insurance.

Matt Lee on the other hand is a complete unknown and late round draft pick, so he should be (much) further behind compared to someone like Hill.

To be fair, we are not even sure that Dax will play slot Corner. Also, Hilton is a top 5-10 nickel corner in the nfl. It wouldn’t be a shame for Dax to not be able to beat him out.

I don’t think Lee is in their plans (yet) as a long term replacement. St this point he is likely being looked at as developmental backup/PS. Any contribution is gravy.
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2024, 03:02 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: To be fair, we are not even sure that Dax will play slot Corner.  Also, Hilton is a top 5-10 nickel corner in the nfl.  It wouldn’t be a shame for Dax to not be able to beat him out.  

I don’t think Lee is in their plans (yet) as a long term replacement.  St this point he is likely being looked at as developmental backup/PS.  Any contribution is gravy.

I'm saying it would be a shame if a 1st round pick isn't starting by the end of their rookie contract.
It doesn't have to be as a Hilton replacement, but one would hope he's starting somewhere either this year or next.
If not, it's a pretty big investment for a backup.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Like the move on it's own merits of locking down a starting OL who has played better than average into his 30s. What i haven't seen from anyone here is his ability to step in and play guard at a high level. Not something I want to see this year as I'm guessing Trent Brown may slide into the RG spot and Lee will likely end up on the practice squad and Hill playing center which would be worse than Ford at LG. But it does give us flexibility next year if replacing one of the guards becomes a need.
Reply/Quote
Karras has been such a great addition to this team. Glad for the extension and here's hoping this is the best Oline we've had in years.

Reply/Quote