Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ted Karras : Is He Related to the Detroit Lions' Great?
I'm kinda old so a lot of you younger guys may not remember him but there was a really good player who played for the Lions when I was a kid by the name of Alex Karras. Alex was a defensive lineman and he also did some acting and sportcasting.

Seeing that Ted is a lineman and the name Karras isn't exactly a household name, I got to thinking that maybe he is, in some way, related to the great Alex Karras. I'm too lazy today to look it up, plus I figure I would learn more from the input of the folks on here. Plus, I'd probably get my answer faster than if I tried to chase it down on the internet. Is Ted related to the Lions' great??? If so, his pedigree is impressive. Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply/Quote
Also, can you think of any other Bengals, past or present, who had a relative that played in the league as well ?
Reply/Quote
Yes. I think cousin
Reply/Quote
Yes, they are related. Alex Karras has 2 brothers that also played in the NFL: Lou and Ted Karras.

Ted Karras Jr played one game for the Redskins in 1987 as a d-lineman. He's the father of Ted Karras III.

Alex Karras is great uncle to Ted Karras III.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Hell I keep calling him Alex Karras.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 06:51 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yes, they are related. Alex Karras has 2 brothers that also played in the NFL: Lou and Ted Karras.

Ted Karras Jr played one game for the Redskins in 1987 as a d-lineman. He's the father of Ted Karras III.

Alex Karras is great uncle to Ted Karras III.

Cool, got quite the bloodline. A little crazy that the other OL we got in FA's first name is Alex in Cappa too.

Alex Winter and Ted Theodore Logan AKA Bill and Ted lol
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 06:56 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Cool, got quite the bloodline. A little crazy that the other OL we got in FA's first name is Alex in Cappa too.

Alex Winter and Ted Theodore Logan AKA Bill and Ted lol

Crazier than last year's roster having...

Trey Hendrickson
Trey Hill
Trey Hopkins
Trae Waynes
Tre Flowers
Trayveon Williams
Trayvon Henderson

? Because yelling out "Hey Tre!" in the Bengas lockerroom last year probably got you 7 responses. Lol

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 07:15 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Crazier than last year's roster having...

Trey Hendrickson
Trey Hill
Trey Hopkins
Trae Waynes
Tre Flowers
Trayveon Williams
Trayvon Henderson

? Because yelling out "Hey Tre!" in the Bengas lockerroom last year probably got you 7 responses. Lol

Yeah that broke the first name record that the Tyler’s had at one point with Tyler Boyd Tyler Kroft and Tyler Eifert lol
Reply/Quote
Alex Karras was in a lot of movies/TV shows. This is one of the funniest movies ever. He was Mongo in Blazing Saddles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVpypcLbbIE
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 07:22 PM)BengalRed Wrote: Alex Karras was in a lot of movies/TV shows. This is one of the funniest movies ever. He was Mongo in Blazing Saddles.

Kind of shocked no one else knew that...I waited until the final response.

When your Grandpa is Mongo, you are a legend....
Reply/Quote
Yeah, no reason to even start one of those stupid nickname threads over this guy. It has to be "Mongo"
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 06:36 PM)Science Friction Wrote: I'm kinda old so a lot of you younger guys may not remember him but there was a really good player who played for the Lions when I was a kid by the name of Alex Karras. Alex was a defensive lineman and he also did some acting and sportcasting.

Seeing that Ted is a lineman  and the name Karras isn't exactly a household name, I got to thinking  that maybe he is, in some way, related to the great Alex Karras.  I'm too lazy today to look it up, plus I figure I would learn more from the input of the folks on here. Plus, I'd probably get my answer faster than if I tried to chase it down on the internet. Is Ted related to the Lions' great???  If so, his pedigree is impressive.   Thanks in advance for your help.

Uncle or great uncle.. Yeah..related..
Him and Rosy Greer were the two NFL brutes getting a lot of publicity back then.. Greer was known for needle point for some reason.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 06:41 PM)Science Friction Wrote: Also, can you think of any other Bengals, past or present, who had a relative that played in the league as well ?

Peko
Palmer
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 09:00 AM)grampahol Wrote: Uncle or great uncle.. Yeah..related..
Him and Rosy Greer were the two NFL brutes getting a lot of publicity back then.. Greer was known for needle point for some reason.. 

Rosey Grier and Rafer Johnson were Robert Kennedy's bodyguards when he was killed. Grier starred in "Airplane" He is also another player snubbed by the HOF.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 06:41 PM)Science Friction Wrote: Also, can you think of any other Bengals, past or present, who had a relative that played in the league as well ?

I think Thaddeus Moss' dad played a little ball. Elijah Holyfield's dad boxed a little
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Brothers Atrell Hawkins and Andrew Hawkins both played for the bengals
Reply/Quote
I think Robert Geathers had half a dozen uncles and cousins who played in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
Chad Johnson and Keyshawn Johnson were cousins
Reply/Quote
I think Horst Muhlmann was a distant relative of Augustus Gloop
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 07:22 PM)BengalRed Wrote: Alex Karras was in a lot of movies/TV shows. This is one of the funniest movies ever. He was Mongo in Blazing Saddles.

Alex Karras also did Monday Night Football for a few years in the mid 70's.  This was after Don Meredith left and went to NBC.
Reply/Quote