Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tee Higgins
(08-05-2020, 12:02 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I've been listening to the "Locked On Bengals" podcast lately and a week or so ago they broke down the WR group with some "expert" I forget his name. He made the case that Higgins isn't like AJ Green, but more like Carl Pickens. I'll take either one.

Agreed.    Green, Pickens and Boyd would be a prodigious combination with a little Ross and Tate on the side.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think they should consider working Ross into one of the return spots.

He was an excellent returner in college, and was billed as being able to easily transition into that role in the NFL. I can understand not initially wanting to use him there, with him being such a high pick. At that point you're banking on him being in a major role in the offense, and wouldn't want to lose him to a Special Teams injury.

But now? He's slid further down the depth chart, and his long-term prospects here are greatly in question. So why not use his strengths to get him some added touches? I really don't think Alex Erickson is good enough to roster on his punt returning ability alone, and he offers nothing in the pass game on this roster. I'd give Ross the PR job, and cut Erickson.

The player many people compared John Ross to when he came out was Desean Jackson. It would be a shame to just let a potential ST threat go completely unused for all 4 years.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2020, 01:24 AM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: I love the Higgins pick, too. Dude's going to be special. 

I do believe that Burrow will fix whatever was wrong with John Ross. Most of that was mental. If Ross buys into Burrow, Burrow will buy into him. Before the end of the year, we're all going to want Ross to re-sign with us. 

Boy that would be wonderful.   I'm not quite that optimistic.   But I think Burrow will bring enough out of him to make us drool a little as long as he can stay healthy.   Throwing him open would finally utilize his speed.   He could be a very dangerous deep threat with Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2020, 12:19 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: 6'4 guys generally look pretty big standing next to 5'11 guys.

Did I say tall? I was surprised he looks big all around more like a Metcalf or Pittman type WR than an AJ.

Reply/Quote
(08-05-2020, 12:28 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I think they should consider working Ross into one of the return spots.

He was an excellent returner in college, and was billed as being able to easily transition into that role in the NFL. I can understand not initially wanting to use him there, with him being such a high pick. At that point you're banking on him being in a major role in the offense, and wouldn't want to lose him to a Special Teams injury.

But now? He's slid further down the depth chart, and his long-term prospects here are greatly in question. So why not use his strengths to get him some added touches? I really don't think Alex Erickson is good enough to roster on his punt returning ability alone, and he offers nothing in the pass game on this roster. I'd give Ross the PR job, and cut Erickson.

The player many people compared John Ross to when he came out was Desean Jackson. It would be a shame to just let a potential ST threat go completely unused for all 4 years.

He’s way too brittle to do it at the NFL level.

Reply/Quote
(08-05-2020, 01:24 AM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: Before the end of the year, we're all going to want Ross to re-sign with us. 

Then that means you're going to have an awfuly disappointing season from either Green, Higgins, or Boyd.

There's simply not enough balls to go around.  For Ross to have a legitimate season it's probably going to mean at least 800 yards and 5 TD's.  Those yards and TD's are going to have to come at the expense of others that are currently projected to be bigger contributors.

Think of it this way, if the follow players hit these numbers, what's left?

AJ Green - 1,000 yards
Tyler Boyd - 1,000 yards
Tee Higgins - 600 yards
Mixon/Bernard - 600 yards
Uzomah/Sample - 600 yards
Misc (Tate/Willis/Carter/Erickson) - 250 yards

Total - 4,050 yards

Those are all pretty conservative benchmarks.  The numbers out of the running backs and TE spots are basically pulled from our averages over the last few seasons.  The misc. number is probably low.

It's really easy to say "I think AJ is back, and has a good season", "I think Boyd keeps his numbers up", "I think Tee Higgins has a productive first year", etc.  But when you start looking at the actual numbers it will take for all of that to happen, there's simply nothing left for Ross to do on a large scale.

So you have to take your pick, is it he has a good season and we all want him back, but one of these other guys really underperforms?  Or is John Ross doesn't do a whole lot, and ends up with under 400 yards?  You can't have your cake and eat it too.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2020, 12:37 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He’s way too brittle to do it at the NFL level.

100% agreed - he would not be able to return 2 kicks without being severly injured

He still has my #1 most hilarious bungles play of the last 4 years. 

It was an end around, TH night game vs HOU. 

He actually gained some yds, then got obliterated by Clowney, fumbled the ball in the air- Turnover.

And then limped off the field and didnt play for like 6 more weeks.  one and done
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2020, 12:37 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He’s way too brittle to do it at the NFL level.

Well, if he gets hurt he gets hurt.  You won't know until you try.

How are you going to draft a guy that's compared to Desean Jackson and never let him return a single punt, or kick?  If he was blowing up in the pass game I could understand.  But if he's rotting away down on the depth chart then why the hell not?
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2020, 12:49 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Well, if he gets hurt he gets hurt.  You won't know until you try.

How are you going to draft a guy that's compared to Desean Jackson and never let him return a single punt, or kick?  If he was blowing up in the pass game I could understand.  But if he's rotting away down on the depth chart then why the hell not?

You’re not wrong, but if AJ or Boyd go down, you’d ideally like to have Ross still in one piece. But he’s probably gone next year no matter what so if they want to try it so be it.

Reply/Quote
Except the 5’11” guy has bigger legs and bigger arms. What were you looking at that you think is huge?
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2020, 08:22 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Agreed. Ross is just mentally weak.

That is a great way to describe it. As I was typing it I was trying to think of how to explain his issue and you are right it is all mental.

He has a skill set to be an above average wideout, just doesn't seem to have that push to do it.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Higgins is the man.Loved this pick from the start.He’ll be going to the pro bowl someday.Ross can kiss the third receiver slot goodbye.Higgins is going to earn it.I’m so done with Ross.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2020, 12:44 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Then that means you're going to have an awfuly disappointing season from either Green, Higgins, or Boyd.

There's simply not enough balls to go around.  For Ross to have a legitimate season it's probably going to mean at least 800 yards and 5 TD's.  Those yards and TD's are going to have to come at the expense of others that are currently projected to be bigger contributors.

Think of it this way, if the follow players hit these numbers, what's left?

AJ Green - 1,000 yards
Tyler Boyd - 1,000 yards
Tee Higgins - 600 yards
Mixon/Bernard - 600 yards
Uzomah/Sample - 600 yards
Misc (Tate/Willis/Carter/Erickson) - 250 yards

Total - 4,050 yards

Those are all pretty conservative benchmarks.  The numbers out of the running backs and TE spots are basically pulled from our averages over the last few seasons.  The misc. number is probably low.

It's really easy to say "I think AJ is back, and has a good season", "I think Boyd keeps his numbers up", "I think Tee Higgins has a productive first year", etc.  But when you start looking at the actual numbers it will take for all of that to happen, there's simply nothing left for Ross to do on a large scale.

So you have to take your pick, is it he has a good season and we all want him back, but one of these other guys really underperforms?  Or is John Ross doesn't do a whole lot, and ends up with under 400 yards?  You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Or does Burrow shatter every rookie record known to man? Lol

As for Ross' leg, my youngest grandson has a condition where one leg is noticeably larger than the other. We won't know for some time if it will affect his abilities to play sports.  Ross may have the same condition. 
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
What happens to AJ greens franchise tag once the season is cut short or canceled?

I wish they had traded him when they had the opportunity
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2020, 01:44 PM)SladeX Wrote: Or does Burrow shatter every rookie record known to man? Lol

As for Ross' leg, my youngest grandson has a condition where one leg is noticeably larger than the other. We won't know for some time if it will affect his abilities to play sports.  Ross may have the same condition. 

I suspect he just has that hamstring wrapped.
Reply/Quote
If Ross is so mentally weak, why wasn’t it an issue when he played in college? Did something change when he got here? Did a certain someone break his confidence? Hmmmm
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2020, 02:28 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: If Ross is so mentally weak, why wasn’t it an issue when he played in college? Did something change when he got here? Did a certain someone break his confidence? Hmmmm

*giggles*
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2020, 01:24 AM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: I love the Higgins pick, too. Dude's going to be special. 

I do believe that Burrow will fix whatever was wrong with John Ross. Most of that was mental. If Ross buys into Burrow, Burrow will buy into him. Before the end of the year, we're all going to want Ross to re-sign with us. 

Agree I think Ross could surprise some people this year, he’s never gonna live up to being picked over Maholmes but I think he can still be a dangerous WR. His biggest issue is staying healthy. He just wasn’t a fast guy with a little production coming out of college he put up numbers. I still think of that Seattle opener where Ross went off , he should have a bunch of miss matches this year and he’s still one of are only WR’s with speed.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2020, 12:28 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I think they should consider working Ross into one of the return spots.

Beyond false, but that's fine.

I'm not saying he a world-beater or that he's even a lock to make the team, but Erickson has proven that he belongs in the league, with precise routes, great agility and excellent hands.

Furthermore, he was a former QB (not half bad either), thus he can be used for 1 play a game on reverses/throws/gadgets/etc. I hate those plays and they don't always work, but the threat of someone on your team who CAN do that, is valuable, even if only a little bit.

People forget that his only TD of his career, he beat Bradley Roby WHILE LINED UP OUTSIDE; no slot, no picks or rubs, just pure speed and beating his man with timing and skills.

He should remain on this team for the next 5 years, as the last receiver on the roster.

(08-05-2020, 12:33 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Did I say tall? I was surprised he looks big all around more like a Metcalf or Pittman type WR than an AJ.

Most of us took it that way as well (pretty obvious).
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2020, 11:40 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I have loved the Higgins pick since it was announced. He may not outrun many DBs, but the guy is sneaky quick and will sure as hell fight for the ball.

I feel like that is what is wrong with John Ross. He gives up on routes and passes.

You're blowing his "giving up on routes and passes" way out of proportion.
People saw it happen once along the sideline two years ago and assume it happens every game.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote