Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tee Higgins
(09-14-2020, 12:26 PM)Au165 Wrote: He had 4 catches on 5 targets yesterday. He was tied for the 11th most targeted back in the league, and that is coming as a role player. I think he is getting his share it's just he has to be in to block a pretty large amount of the time. 

I didn’t realize he had that many.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 12:07 PM)JSR18 Wrote: Agreed. But there is absolutely no Fn reason why Tate and Higgins weren't in the game after Gio got to the 3.

Those2 with Green and Uzomah are all 6'4 or better.

I thought its all about favorable matchups....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Bigger doesn't necessarily mean favorable.  Why would you sub in a rookie who hasn't caught an NFL pass and a guy with 1 TD in 2 years with the game on the line?

They got a one on one matchup with AJ and Ross running wide open along the back of the end zone, so it's hard to find fault with the substitutions and play call.  AJ just got caught with his hand in the cookie jar.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 12:33 PM)Whatever Wrote: Bigger doesn't necessarily mean favorable.  Why would you sub in a rookie who hasn't caught an NFL pass and a guy with 1 TD in 2 years with the game on the line?

They got a one on one matchup with AJ and Ross running wide open along the back of the end zone, so it's hard to find fault with the substitutions and play call.  AJ just got caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

WhoDey2 When it comes to pass catchers, taller is always more favorable. Bigger catching radius, jump balls, bigger body to box out smaller DB's. Rookie or not, favorable matchups in the red zone usually produce TD's...
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 12:18 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: This is strange.

Why the hell is Ross playing more than AJ?

You don't make a guy the 2nd highest paid player in the league to play less than someone like John Ross.

Because you don’t want to overwork AJ and lose him. I can understand that.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 12:33 PM)Whatever Wrote: Bigger doesn't necessarily mean favorable.  Why would you sub in a rookie who hasn't caught an NFL pass and a guy with 1 TD in 2 years with the game on the line?

Tate should have been in that red zone series. Its irrelevant hes had one 1 td in 2 years. Throw it to Tate where only he can catch it. Its not rocket science. BTW Higgins cant get better by watching.
Henry Ruggs had 3 catches for 55 yds yesteday. Hes a rookie too.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 02:02 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Tate should have been in that red zone series. Its irrelevant hes had one 1 td in 2 years. Throw it to Tate where only he can catch it. Its not rocket science. BTW Higgins cant get better by watching.
Henry Ruggs had 3 catches for 55 yds yesteday. Hes a rookie too.

It's irrelevant that he's been woefully bad in the red zone so far in his career?  Besides which, if I'm running a jump ball, it's going to AJ, not Tate.  There's no reason to have him in there with the game on the line.  The guy didn't catch a pass all game.  

Higgins got some snaps. However, you play your best with the game on the line.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 01:52 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Because you don’t want to overwork AJ and lose him. I can understand that.

You shouldn't have to worry "overworking" an 18 million dollar a year receiver.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 02:25 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: You shouldn't have to worry "overworking" an 18 million dollar a year receiver.

I mean, he had 9 targets, I don’t really think we were.

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 02:32 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I mean, he had 9 targets, I don’t really think we were.

Then why was he on the field less than Ross?
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 01:51 PM)JSR18 Wrote: WhoDey2 When it comes to pass catchers, taller is always more favorable. Bigger catching radius, jump balls, bigger body to box out smaller DB's. Rookie or not, favorable matchups in the red zone usually produce TD's...

How many teams do you see go out there and line up with all TE's and big WR's and just play jump ball in the end zone?  Zero, because it's nowhere near as effective a strategy as people seem to think.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 02:34 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Then why was he on the field less than Ross?

Ross only had 5 targets, so other than trying to open things up with his speed I have no idea.

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 02:36 PM)Whatever Wrote: How many teams do you see go out there and line up with all TE's and big WR's and just play jump ball in the end zone?  Zero, because it's nowhere near as effective a strategy as people seem to think.

WhoDey2  OK.
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
I noticed several times it was only Ross and Thomas out there. I thought that was strange having the two smallest guys out there and they were all running plays.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 07:01 AM)Dean_Gilberry95 Wrote: I noticed several times it was only Ross and Thomas out there.  I thought that was strange having the two smallest guys out there and they were all running plays.

ZT's offensive genius.

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 12:27 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: Because this is Green's first game back from injury.

The mystery is more why Ross had as many as Boyd.

Another even greater mystery is why Ross playing in front of anyone.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 11:51 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Tate and Higgins are relegated to backups behind Green and Ross. Erickson is Boyd's backup.

seen enough of Ross...he showed minimal effort on that bomb in the endzone which is his calling card since we drafted his ass.
I would have liked to have seen him dive and catch it out of  bounds to at least show he gives a sh#t.
As for TEE, Jeudy started last night for Broncos..so lets not make excuses for him..hes not good enough yet to crack the line up and thats with Ross in it... 
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 12:14 PM)kalibengal Wrote: seen enough of Ross...he showed minimal effort on that bomb in the endzone which is his calling card since we drafted his ass.
I would have liked to have seen him dive and catch it out of  bounds to at least show he gives a sh#t.
As for TEE, Jeudy started last night for Broncos..so lets not make excuses for him..hes not good enough yet to crack the line up and thats with Ross in it... 

While he needs to produce more, perception is not always reality. You might THINK he is giving minimal effort, but perhaps he's not.
And his "calling card" you identify I think is what the team wants it to be, but I don't think it really is his calling card.
While the team (and some fans) expect his niche to be a deep threat, it shouldn't be.

His best skill set is actually his ability to get YAC due to his speed and elusiveness.
Ross has never been a lay-out-for-the-ball guy. He's a catch-and-go guy.
If people look at his primary season in college, he had 81 receptions for 1150 yards (14.2 ypc).
It's more difficult to catch the ball the further down the field you get, and it's even more difficult given Ross's hand size (8.75").
So for him to be most effective, he needs to actually be used far more on shorter routes and let his speed and agility make defenders miss once he has the ball.

I think the biggest thing with Ross that people have is they want him to be a different receiver than he is. They want him to be AJ Green because he was drafted in the Top 10. He's never going to be a receiver like AJ. He's a smaller speed guy with electric feet who has questionable hands.

Now that I've defended how he can better be utilized, he still needs to have more impact on the game. So I am in agreement with you there. I just don't think it needs to be primarily with 40+ yard passes downfield.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 01:35 PM)ochocincos Wrote: While he needs to produce more, perception is not always reality. You might THINK he is giving minimal effort, but perhaps he's not.
And his "calling card" you identify I think is what the team wants it to be, but I don't think it really is his calling card.
While the team (and some fans) expect his niche to be a deep threat, it shouldn't be.

His best skill set is actually his ability to get YAC due to his speed and elusiveness.
If people look at his primary season in college, he had 81 receptions for 1150 yards (14.2 ypc).
It's more difficult to catch the ball the further down the field you get, and it's even more difficult given Ross's hand size (8.75").
So for him to be most effective, he needs to actually be used far more on shorter routes and let his speed and agility make defenders miss once he has the ball.

I think the biggest thing with Ross that people have is they want him to be a different receiver than he is. They want him to be AJ Green because he was drafted in the Top 10. He's never going to be a receiver like AJ. He's a smaller speed guy with electric feet who has questionable hands.

Now that I've defended how he can better be utilized, he still needs to have more impact on the game. So I am in agreement with you there. I just don't think it needs to be primarily with 40+ yard passes downfield.

Agree, Ross should be used more as a medium range guy. He's just not a 30+ yards down the field deep ball receiver. 
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 12:22 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Apparently you do. You also make Gio a top what (15?) paid RB and barely use him other than to block. He had one friggin carry.

Yeah, with this line we should be using him like mahomes uses his receivers. Seems weird to not take advantage of our herky jerkiest player on the team. With Ross playing that many snaps also seems odd we can't get the ball in his hands (regardless of his slippery hands).

ZT: Let's run Mixon all game because the stats say we win if he rushes over 15 times, keep the game close and try to win it at the end.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 01:35 PM)ochocincos Wrote: While he needs to produce more, perception is not always reality. You might THINK he is giving minimal effort, but perhaps he's not.

I don't think our coaching staff knows how to bring the best out of our talent. Putting Ross into positions he's not comfortable or good at. We should play to our strengths and not ask them to get better at their weaknesses just to fit something ZT wants. We have speed and have no clue how to use it, Mixon can't be the only thing going for us on offense when the line is this janky. I bet other coaches laugh at our ineptitude on offense with the talent given. So far we see nothing from ZT that screams mastermind superbowl champion.

Nobody is AJ Green, they can improve their weaknesses to the point it's not a red-rover type deal and then continually crush people with their strengths. I just see vanilla offense. I think NE did so well over such a long period of time because they could adjust, some games they'd only run other games only pass. It's good to have flexibility but I think for Ross he's just not a long ball guy, AJ can pull those down, don't trust Ross with these plays, get him and Gio the ball in space. I don't understand the lack of usability of Gio. We're not built to score a lot of points just running the ball. That game was a blowout if the defense didn't hold continually, the offense on display would not have done well against most teams.a

I put this also on players who don't speak up though, like Ross is just trying to fit in maybe and not tell people hey I'm not good at that, I should be doing this instead. Gio seems like too nice a guy (person who still drives a minivan) to tell the coach you gave my job to Mixon, cool, but I can do a lot more than just block.

Also never know the types of people on the team, some are just happy being paid.

I think Burrow will be successful partially because he will make thsoe things happen (tell peopel we need Gio and Ross in space), or he will make it happen (like his audible run) instead of trusting this inept coaching staff. He seems like a Lebron in some of those ways, probably smarter than the coaches and they have to all figure out how "that works".
Reply/Quote