Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tee Higgins is More Important than We Thought
The Bengals’ offense has been stop and go all season but without Tee Higgins in the lineup things were awful in the passing game. It seems like opposing defenses can simultaneously lock down Ja’Marr Chase and Tyler Boyd but if Higgins is in the game one of the three will be open downfield.

Now I am definitely more of a defense guy but as a defense guy I caught on quickly to what the Ravens were doing last night. Downfield coverage is basically a geometry problem: Angles and areas. It becomes significantly easier to select the correct angles and cover the correct areas when there are two deep threats on the field instead of three. Higgins was the missing ingredient.

Also, Baltimore sacked Joe Burrow three times and batted down at least three passes. With the deep threat negated, Joe had to check down and throw shorter with a flatter trajectory. It’s a miracle those batted balls weren’t picked off.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 09:10 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The Bengals’ offense has been stop and go all season but without Tee Higgins in the lineup things were awful in the passing game.  It seems like opposing defenses can simultaneously lock down Ja’Marr Chase and Tyler Boyd but if Higgins is in the game one of the three will be open downfield.

Now I am definitely more of a defense guy but as a defense guy I caught on quickly to what the Ravens were doing last night. Downfield coverage is basically a geometry problem: Angles and areas.   It becomes significantly easier to select the correct angles and cover the correct areas when there are two deep threats on the field instead of three. Higgins was the missing ingredient.

Also, Baltimore sacked Joe Burrow three times and batted down at least three passes. With the deep threat negated, Joe had to check down and throw shorter with a flatter trajectory.  It’s a miracle those batted balls weren’t picked off.

Higgins is very important. I agree. But, even when he plays the offense is off.

Man I hate to say it, but I just don't think we have great offense coaches that can counter what the opponent does. The book is out on Joe and Jamar. The coaches can't adjust.

Throwing Burrow's rookie contract years away.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 09:10 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The Bengals’ offense has been stop and go all season but without Tee Higgins in the lineup things were awful in the passing game.  It seems like opposing defenses can simultaneously lock down Ja’Marr Chase and Tyler Boyd but if Higgins is in the game one of the three will be open downfield.

Now I am definitely more of a defense guy but as a defense guy I caught on quickly to what the Ravens were doing last night. Downfield coverage is basically a geometry problem: Angles and areas.   It becomes significantly easier to select the correct angles and cover the correct areas when there are two deep threats on the field instead of three. Higgins was the missing ingredient.

Also, Baltimore sacked Joe Burrow three times and batted down at least three passes. With the deep threat negated, Joe had to check down and throw shorter with a flatter trajectory.  It’s a miracle those batted balls weren’t picked off.

on flip side how many targets and touches did Chase get 13 with 7 catches and 1 run and came away with like 50 yards.  Chase has to make some plays , if Hill was getting those amount of targets and touches he makes a team pay for 1 or 2 of them... be elite have to play like elite.. 
Reply/Quote
We can’t scheme anyone open , Higgins can make plays when covered by using his size. He was missed last night.
Reply/Quote
Higgins is a good player but not having him shouldn't make this offense completely inept. We have a lot of other weapons.

The coaching staff is completely clueless on how to move the ball down field any other way than throwing it up to our guys and letting them go get it. Its a train wreck.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote

I've always felt he's elite and with he and Chase it's the first time in years they had defenders that had to defend both sides of the field. Tee has simply grown into a bad ass player in the last year and he's a guy you can throw the ball up to that simply widens the dimensions of the field.

Bengals worked the offense very nicely from mid 2nd quarter on and if ZT doesn't crap his pants with that horse-s___t finesse playcalling on the 2 yard line then this team wins a hard, physical vital game on the road in a way we haven't them win in a long time.
Reply/Quote
Having a competent OC and play caller would help too

Hue Jackson has a bad reputation from Cleveland, but dammit if he wasn’t a good playcaller and scheme guy. All the motions and stuff. Callahan’s plan is pure vanilla
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 10:05 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Having a competent OC and play caller would help too

Hue Jackson has a bad reputation from Cleveland, but dammit if he wasn’t a good playcaller and scheme guy. All the motions and stuff. Callahan’s plan is pure vanilla

That would also get the diversity police off our backs 
Reply/Quote
I've been preaching how important he is to
This offense. He has really took his game
To another level. He is a difficult match-up for even
Number 1 CBs. Ok fine double Chase all night
Tee will just abuse your other CB in a number
Of ways. Tee is the only Bengals WR that has
Radius, can high point the ball and just out muscle
Handsy CBs. Oh yeah he can smoke the best of
Them. I don't understand why the front
Office didn't add WR with the same dimensions
As Tee via the draft.
Tee and Joe have a great chemistry.
When Tee is on and his game is rolling
Joe is a different QB. He is more relaxed and he has his
Swag. Without Tee,Joe ain't the same
Reply/Quote

Higgins is one of our best players and it hurts whenever one of your best players is out.  At the same time, it wouldn't be so bad if there wasn't such a steep drop off from our starting WR's to our backups.  

Zac certainly isn't helping anything with some questionable play calling and 4th down decisions, but our current struggles are similar to the ones KC's offense experienced last year when teams sat in two high S looks to take away the big plays and forced them to steadily move the ball down the field. Zac really needs to start looking at what they did last year for answers  The OL is starting to show improvement, but they are not at the point where they can execute on long drives with any consistency.  
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 11:05 AM)Whatever Wrote: Higgins is one of our best players and it hurts whenever one of your best players is out.  At the same time, it wouldn't be so bad if there wasn't such a steep drop off from our starting WR's to our backups.  

Zac certainly isn't helping anything with some questionable play calling and 4th down decisions, but our current struggles are similar to the ones KC's offense experienced last year when teams sat in two high S looks to take away the big plays and forced them to steadily move the ball down the field. Zac really needs to start looking at what they did last year for answers  The OL is starting to show improvement, but they are not at the point where they can execute on long drives with any consistency.  

Definitely a good comparison. Last night until the 4 plays at the 1 yard line I thought they finally made nice adjustments starting in the 2nd quarter especially with Tee out. A couple screens, run game working, a couple sit down patterns,etc.They played some typical AFC North football and had that game won.

You saw very few two high S looks a year ago. Bengals surprised teams and it was mainly Cinci. dictating tempo last year. Now things changed in the playoffs and the D simply got TO's and played light out.
Reply/Quote