Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tee makes PFF All-Rookie Team

WR TEE HIGGINS, CINCINNATI BENGALS

Cincinnati’s offense was not the most high-flying environment for Higgins to show what he could do — particularly following Burrow’s injury — but he was still able to turn in nearly 1,000 receiving yards on an offense that had other mouths to feed such as Tyler Boyd and A.J. Green coming into the season.

It became apparent early on that Higgins was going to quickly move ahead of Green in the passing game, and he proved to be the team’s top option in two areas where Green has historically excelled — downfield passes and red-zone work. Higgins earned a team-high nine receptions and six receiving touchdowns in the red zone this season, and he was the only player on Cincinnati to catch more than three passes thrown 20 or more yards downfield (nine).

Higgins showed that he will be a key part of the Bengals’ offense moving forward as they continue building around Burrow.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
It's such a shame that he got injured 3 plays into the final game and was unable to break Collinsworth's rookie receptions record, especially since he did break it in the play he was injured, if not for an inconsequential OPI call that didn't impact the play at all (If I recall correctly).

But he's going to be a star for this offense when we have Burrow. I know Chase is on everyone's want list (he's on mine too), but with Boyd and Higgins, adding Chase may make the WR corp a bit top heavy, especially once Higgins' contract comes due with Chase in his 3rd year (and the question of picking up his 5th year option would begin to surface). It'd be a nice problem to have, of course. 

I'm looking forward to see how we progress this off season.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 10:50 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: It's such a shame that he got injured 3 plays into the final game and was unable to break Collinsworth's rookie receptions record, especially since he did break it in the play he was injured, if not for an inconsequential OPI call that didn't impact the play at all (If I recall correctly).

But he's going to be a star for this offense when we have Burrow. I know Chase is on everyone's want list (he's on mine too), but with Boyd and Higgins, adding Chase may make the WR corp a bit top heavy, especially once Higgins' contract comes due with Chase in his 3rd year (and the question of picking up his 5th year option would begin to surface). It'd be a nice problem to have, of course. 

While this is true, I would much rather spend here than on RB.  And for three years, Boyd, Higgins, Chase, (and hopefully Schwartz in Rd 4) would be the toolbox that Burrow needs to put of 30 burgers week in and week out.  He will need to, based on the defensive coach we appear to be keeping.  
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 11:02 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: While this is true, I would much rather spend here than on RB.  And for three years, Boyd, Higgins, Chase, (and hopefully Schwartz in Rd 4) would be the toolbox that Burrow needs to put of 30 burgers week in and week out.  He will need to, based on the defensive coach we appear to be keeping.  

That's true. And, after those three years, Boyd's contract will be up. So we can craft our WR corp moving forward based on how they've all performed together up to that point.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 11:05 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: That's true. And, after those three years, Boyd's contract will be up. So we can craft our WR corp moving forward based on how they've all performed together up to that point.

Great point.  And honestly, I look at Boyd as the one that will benefit the most from Higgins and Chase outside. He, Mixon/Gio, and Sample.  We just need that one outside speed merchant that can do it all like Chase, and improvements on the line and the offense will be lights out.  The defense?  Not so much.  
Reply/Quote
I have a feeling Miami takes Chase and Atlanta either goes defense or QB leaving Sewell still on the board at #5.

If that's the case I think the Bengals take him.

On topic:. Good for higgens he deserves it and as fans that have suffered through a lot of busts recently I'm so happy we got a couple winners in the last draft. Its looking like a really successful one so far despite the injuries to both out too guys.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 11:29 AM)motoarch Wrote: I have a feeling Miami takes Chase and Atlanta either goes defense or QB leaving Sewell still on the board at #5.

On topic:. Good for higgens he deserves it and as fans that have suffered through a lot of busts recently I'm so happy we got a couple winners in the last draft. Its looking like a really successful one so far despite the injuries to both out too guys.

I asked a Dolphins fan I know from another board what he thinks they’ll do at 3, and he’s pretty sure they’re giving Tua a weapon. I’d say it’s likely Chase is headed for Miami.

Reply/Quote
We have two excellent WRs under contract for 3 more years. That is arguably the strongest position group on the entire team.

With all the other holes in our roster it would be insane to use a first round pick on WR.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 12:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We have two excellent WRs under contract for 3 more years. That is arguably the strongest position group on the entire team.

With all the other holes in our roster it would be insane to use a first round pick on WR.

I don’t think it would be “insane” at all, but I’ll understand if they don’t go WR at 5. I’m leaning towards Pitts anyway if Sewell is gone.

An offense with Burrow, Mixon, Boyd, Tee, and Pitts could be something special.

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 12:00 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I asked a Dolphins fan I know from another board what he thinks they’ll do at 3, and he’s pretty sure they’re giving Tua a weapon. I’d say it’s likely Chase is headed for Miami.

I don't see the Dolphins choosing Chase at 3. I think it's more likely they take Sewell at 3, and then either trade up to pick whomever falls between Chase/Smith/Pitts or just stay put and take one of Marshall/Waddle/Olave with their other 1st round pick.

They have 2 1sts and 2 2nds this draft.

...I also don't know how much a great WR is going to help Tua if he keeps being the checkdown king. I saw a stat (which I assume is true) where on passes that go at least 15 yards in the air, Tua is rocking a 35.9% completion. It can't be a weapon problem, because Fitz in a pretty healthy sample size looked much better. A full 1.5 yards more per attempt.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 12:30 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I don't see the Dolphins choosing Chase at 3. I think it's more likely they take Sewell at 3, and then either trade up to pick whomever falls between Chase/Smith/Pitts or just stay put and take one of Marshall/Waddle/Olave with their other 1st round pick.

They have 2 1sts and 2 2nds this draft.

...I also don't know how much a great WR is going to help Tua if he keeps being the checkdown king. I saw a stat (which I assume is true) where on passes that go at least 15 yards in the air, Tua is rocking a 35.9% completion. It can't be a weapon problem, because Fitz in a pretty healthy sample size looked much better. A full 1.5 yards more per attempt.

Tua threw a pretty deep ball in college, so I’d say lack of weapons is at least some it.

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 12:00 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I asked a Dolphins fan I know from another board what he thinks they’ll do at 3, and he’s pretty sure they’re giving Tua a weapon. I’d say it’s likely Chase is headed for Miami.

Tua would most likely prefer Smith, just as Joe would prefer Chase. 

As to the OP: I think we struck gold with Higgins.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Congratulations to Tee. Glad to have him in stripes.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 12:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Tua would most likely prefer Smith, just as Joe would prefer Chase. 

As to the OP: I think we struck gold with Higgins.

Good point. Either way I think WR is very much in play at 3 for them.

Reply/Quote
A WR at pick 5 is likely going to be the best talent available. Thus, it wouldn't be shocking or even problematic to draft a guy like Chase.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 10:50 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: It's such a shame that he got injured 3 plays into the final game and was unable to break Collinsworth's rookie receptions record, especially since he did break it in the play he was injured, if not for an inconsequential OPI call that didn't impact the play at all (If I recall correctly).

I wouldn't worry too much about Chase (or any other receiver) infringing on Higgins and Boyd.
All of Higgins, Boyd, and Green got 100+ targets, so there will be plenty to give to a new pass catcher.
Personally, I don't think Burrow's best fit is a speed guy. I think it's a guy he can trust to catch the ball, especially in the red zone. To me, that's Chase, Smith, or Pitts. Waddle would be nice with a QB who had a big arm and can hit him in stride deep (Mahomes, Allen), but I don't see that being Burrow.
Honestly, Pitts is the smarter option, as it gives them a dynamic pass-catching TE and would allow the Bengals to keep using Sample for what he does best - block.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 01:09 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I wouldn't worry too much about Chase (or any other receiver) infringing on Higgins and Boyd.
All of Higgins, Boyd, and Green got 100+ targets, so there will be plenty to give to a new pass catcher.
Personally, I don't think Burrow's best fit is a speed guy. I think it's a guy he can trust to catch the ball, especially in the red zone. To me, that's Chase or Pitts. Waddle would be nice with a QB who had a big arm and can hit him in stride deep (Mahomes, Allen), but I don't see that being Burrow.
Honestly, Pitts is the smarter option, as it gives them a dynamic pass-catching TE and would allow the Bengals to keep using Sample for what he does best - block.

Agreed. I do think Burrow’s deep ball will improve over time, but like you said, he’s never going to be consistently bombing it down the field. I saw PFF mentioned Tee had 9 receptions over 20 yards which was a bit surprising. I knew it was at least a handful, but I didn’t realize it was that many. I’d be interested to see where that ranks among rookies (or even all WR’s).

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 01:09 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I wouldn't worry too much about Chase (or any other receiver) infringing on Higgins and Boyd.

It is not about infringing on Higgins or Boyd.

It is about the fact that we already have two very good wide receivers while we have massive holes at many other positions.  We are already good at WR so a new guy might provide some improvement, but not near as much as a new guy at some position where we suck.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 01:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It is not about infringing on Higgins or Boyd.

It is about the fact that we already have two very good wide receivers while we have massive holes at many other positions.  We are already good at WR so a new guy might provide some improvement, but not near as much as a new guy at some position where we suck.

I'm with you, I'm just trying to provide the logic that the team might use to justify picking a pass catcher in Rd 1.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 11:29 AM)motoarch Wrote: I have a feeling Miami takes Chase and Atlanta either goes defense or QB leaving Sewell still on the board at #5.

On topic:. Good for higgens he deserves it and as fans that have suffered through a lot of busts recently I'm so happy we got a couple winners in the last draft.  Its looking like a really successful one so far despite the injuries to both out too guys.

I would be fine with that situation or take a trade back and get a few extra picks. 
Reply/Quote