Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Telling quote from Carson Palmer
(08-02-2015, 01:38 AM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: Likewise, how could something I won't read until the future have any impact on my actions now?  Planning is something done in the past and present and the cause is the fact that you made plans in the past or present to do something.  The cause isn't the future it is as a result of decisions already established.  Otherwise you wouldn't be making plans.

Cause:  Decided to go on a trip
Effect:  Plan for trip.

I'd have to go back and read how this all started cause now i don't really know why we're debating it. If everyone took a second, i'm sure we'd all be in agreement. Things that will happen in the future won't have an impact on the present because we don't know what the outcome will be and things that will happen in the future will have an impact on the present because we know what is supposed to happen and we plan accordingly. 

So, basically, the future can effect the present and the future can't effect the present. It's a lot of semantics, like most arguments around here. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2015, 05:22 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I remember a reporter asking Carson if he thought the Bengals could win with the current coaches in place (this was after 2008) and he said "no". It was unusually bold for Palmer to say that.

When Marv was brought back after 2010, Palmer was asked for his thoughts and said "no comment". It seems pretty clear to me that his problem was with either Marv or Brat. Or both.

Tiger Both, and Zampese...
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2015, 02:17 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: What if you didn't get to drive the Ferrari at all and instead had to settle for wrecking a Ford Focus year in and year out.  
Fact is, I get enjoyment from it because I have "hope" that they will eventually get over the hump.  4 straight playoff appearances lends some credibility to that belief.

If I somehow knew it was impossible for the Bengals to ever win a playoff game, I'd probably either stop watching football, or pick another team to root for.  In the meantime, I will enjoy every step of the way towards that ultimate goal.   

I still buy scratch offs on occasion, even though I know that hitting for $1000 isn't likely. It is possible though. As jaded as I get with the playoff losses (mainly for how convincing and similar they've been), I still have some hope each year. My heart tells me there's always hope, but my head thinks of all the facts and wonders how likely a playoff run is, with a HC who has already set NFL records for playoff ineptitude. 

It just gets to the point where if you keep shouting "this year is different", you start feeling like a fool. Imo, we should all be able to empathize with each other and the unique situation we're in as Bengals fans. Instead, it seems like it turns into a homer vs hater debate. 

I think it's great that some are able to maintain a positive outlook about the playoffs. As for me, I'll believe it when I see it. I'll be as happy as anyone when they finally get it done though. I've never seen a playoff win in my 22 years as a fan.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2015, 04:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: When I went to a game last year we won.  Everyone seemed pretty happy to me.  In fact i didn't see a single person whining about how it didn't matter because we might lose a playoff game.  

Everyone in the stands cheered when we scored.  No one said, "Bah.  Who cares?  I can't enjoy any of this because we might possibly lose in the playoffs."

I am calling BS on people not being happy with regular season wins.

I never said people don't enjoy the regular season. I enjoy the wins as much as anyone else, but the whole season I'm thinking about the playoffs. Especially after the emotions of watching the game has worn off. There are a lot of people who feel that way. It's a huge dark cloud over an otherwise good time to be a Bengals fan. Sure, you may not think of it during the 3.5 hours of a game, but you're lying if you say it isn't on your mind through the season.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2015, 11:00 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I never said people don't enjoy the regular season. I enjoy the wins as much as anyone else, but the whole season I'm thinking about the playoffs. Especially after the emotions of watching the game has worn off. There are a lot of people who feel that way. It's a huge dark cloud over an otherwise good time to be a Bengals fan. Sure, you may not think of it during the 3.5 hours of a game, but you're lying if you say it isn't on your mind through the season.

No I am not lying when I say that I spend the entire season depressed because we might lose a playoff game.  I have seen people like that though.  They are constantly miserable.  Every time we play a prime time game they spend the entire week crying about how we are going to lose.  Every time a player is injured they cry about how he will never come back.  Every preseason they cry about how every other team has gotten better while the Bengals have gotten worse.

You described it perfectly as "a huge dark cloud over an otherwise good time".  But I am not the type of person who searches for a reason to be upset when something good happens.  I am always hopeful that the future will be better.  Some times I am right and sometimes the people who drag a dark cloud around with them all the time are right.  But I am never going to be upset about something until it happens.  So when we win a game this year I am not going to cry because we might lose a playoff game in the future.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2015, 10:07 AM)fredtoast Wrote: No I am not lying when I say that I spend the entire season depressed because we might lose a playoff game.  I have seen people like that though.  They are constantly miserable.  Every time we play a prime time game they spend the entire week crying about how we are going to lose.  Every time a player is injured they cry about how he will never come back.  Every preseason they cry about how every other team has gotten better while the Bengals have gotten worse.

You described it perfectly as "a huge dark cloud over an otherwise good time".  But I am not the type of person who searches for a reason to be upset when something good happens.  I am always hopeful that the future will be better.  Some times I am right and sometimes the people who drag a dark cloud around with them all the time are right.  But I am never going to be upset about something until it happens.  So when we win a game this year I am not going to cry because we might lose a playoff game in the future.

Your use of the word "cry" makes the post misleading as if the person is doing something wrong. All they're doing is looking at things with a different perspective. Whether I feel that Burfict will miss a lot of the season or that this team struggles in prime time under Marvin, it doesn't mean I'm "crying" about anything, I just have my own opinion without being competely unrealistic by assuming the absolute best for every situation.

If I say that I feel Team A and B improved, but the Bengals didn't improve in certain areas enough, it doesn't mean that my life is miserable and that I run up and down the street kicking puppies.

Instead of predicting a W almost every week, if I feel that the team is going to lose the upcoming game, it doesn't mean that I live an awful life of misery and pain and you are a better person than I am for predicting the win. I'm not starting fist fights in Wal-Mart because I feel a certain way about the football team I root for.

Maybe I'M the crazy one here, but for some reason I feel that for those of you that let a football game impact your life where you bring up things like "constant misery" and depression, maybe it's time you find a new hobby. I don't see any reason to get so worked up to assume anyone is "crying" for expressing their opinion on a message board.
Reply/Quote
I think it's unrealistic for any fan not to have at least some criticism for their team.  Nobody wants to be labeled a "hater", however, I just don't see the point of discussing the team if you only have positive things to say such as, "The whole team is just great." or "The ownership is top-notch and does a fantastic job of handling the team." or  "Our coaches are superb and the best that are available!", etc. etc.  What is really to discuss? 

I know I don't want to kick puppies, slap my 2 year old's face, or have a habit of cutting myself when the Bengals lose or don't perform to my expectations.  I also don't have the urge to cry (literally) or try to insult others (who's opinions differ from mine), when discussing the Bengals.  I will complain to those who might listen however.  That's one of the great things about the message board.  People take time to hear your complaints. 

I may predict losses against teams who I feel are better (Colts, Pats, Broncos, etc.), but I almost always predict wins against teams which I think are weak (Browns, Bucs, Raiders, etc.).  Sometimes they win and sometimes they lose.  Doesn't mean I'm against the Bengals or depressed with myself.

Sure, it'd be great if the Bengals won every game in complete domination, but I think I'd get bored with them eventually if they never lost.

I think my favorite Bengal moment was when Danny Farmer caught that pass in the endzone to force OT against the Steelers in 2001.  I was so happy.  Of course Rackers misses the extra point, but then he redeems himself in OT with the game-winning FG!  The Bengals were only 6-10 that year, but I sure had a great time watching that game.

[Image: 20011231apstillers03_230.jpg]
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote