Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Telling quote from Carson Palmer
(07-28-2015, 04:37 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/05-still-alive/fbadda16-647c-4e8d-abda-876a97415b47

Palmer has apparently answered the question a lot of us have been wondering for nearly five years: why did you leave the Bengals? Many thought it had a lot to do with the fan base. It appears as if that wasn't the case:

Palmer’s exit has been well documented. He demanded a trade before the 2011 season with four years left on his deal and sat out until they shipped him to Oakland in October and the Bengals haven’t missed the playoffs since. Palmer wasn’t happy with what he called “a lack of offseason moves,’ during his tenure, although the same administration has built a team that has averaged 10 wins since they drafted Andy Dalton to replace him.

“The Bengals have phenomenal fans. Everybody thought I had a problem with the fans,” Palmer says. “That was the biggest misconception. I get back to Cincinnati three times a year. I take my kids hunting there. I loved it there. There was only one thing. I had ideas on ways we could improve and ownership didn’t agree and that was the end of it.”

Well there we have it. Question answered... Although I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if there were more to it that Carson's not telling us.

I always thought the notion that he left because of the fans was stupid.  There's a lot worse fans in other cities.   He didn't make noise about leaving until after Marvin was extended.  So it had to be Marvin.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 02:43 AM)fredtoast Wrote: He left a team that had been to the playoffs twice in 6 years for a team that had not even had a winning season in 9 years.

Why wouldn't he think he could change that? He did it before.

Also, he left a team that made it to the playoffs twice in 20 years. Those two were under him.
Reply/Quote
No ill will towards Carson on my part. Hope he has a great year unless they are playing the Bengals. It couldn't have worked out much better for Cincinnati. What's not to like.
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2015, 10:01 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: There's a who's who of great free agency signings.

Bfine left out
Djax
Sam Adams
Dhani Jones
Thomas Howard
Pac
Nelson
Toast
and a couple more. We were far more active back then than now. Maybe we didn't get the stars he wanted, but he def would have quit if he was with us the last 4 years, cause free agency hasn't been nearly as "active".

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2015, 11:09 PM)GodFather Wrote: Too many people are mad at Carson like a bad breakup with a girlfriend. For me it was obvious he was very unhappy with the front office rewarding Marvin with an extension after a miserable season (these extensions seem to continue don't they? Hey Marvin you lost your 6th playoff..extension!!! I digress) Carson has been training his ENTIRE life to be on a winning Super Bowl team. So why should he stick with a front office that is happy with just being competitive. He wanted more and I don't blame him. I wished he never left because he was one of my favorite players on the team, but hold no animosity towards him for wanting more. If you trained your entire life for a goal and someone was holding you back for a shot at it Im sure you would want to move on too.

You'd have credibility if he didn't go to the Raiders of all teams and stayed "retired".  
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 10:02 AM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: You'd have credibility if he didn't go to the Raiders of all teams and stayed "retired".  

Why?  The guy didn't want to work with Marvin Lewis and/or Mike Brown anymore.  He would have retired if he had to, but he didn't because other teams wanted him, and one wanted him to the extent to offer a trade so ludicrously absurd that even the guy who turned down 1,346 picks for Akili Smith couldn't botch it!

Heck, I think the fact that he preferred to play in Oakland over Cincinnati should be a real wake-up call, not unlike the time that one girlfriend of mine left me for a class Q sex offender who lived in his mother's basement.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 09:08 AM)jj22 Wrote: Bfine left out
Djax
Sam Adams
Dhani Jones
Thomas Howard
Pac
Nelson
Toast
and a couple more. We were far more active back then than now. Maybe we didn't get the stars he wanted, but he def would have quit if he was with us the last 4 years, cause free agency hasn't been nearly as "active".

......but he wasn't referring to FA moves in my opinion.  I think he was talking about the coaching staff.  Maybe it was Marv (the timing certainly points to that), or maybe it was some of the lifers on staff.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 10:14 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Why?  The guy didn't want to work with Marvin Lewis and/or Mike Brown anymore.  He would have retired if he had to, but he didn't because other teams wanted him, and one wanted him to the extent to offer a trade so ludicrously absurd that even the guy who turned down 1,346 picks for Akili Smith couldn't botch it!

Heck, I think the fact that he preferred to play in Oakland over Cincinnati should be a real wake-up call, not unlike the time that one girlfriend of mine left me for a class Q sex offender who lived in his mother's basement.

......and the worst part of that was, he still coulda had that turd with all of those picks.   Bang Head

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(07-28-2015, 05:18 PM)Benton Wrote: Eh?

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasyfootball/update/25212809
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2014-10-24/peyton-manning-broncos-scoreboard-operator-fans-loud-philip-rivers-video
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/lopresti/2006-01-15-lopresti-colts_x.htm
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000069343/article/drew-brees-selfishness-to-blame-for-new-orleans-saints-start

Maybe you don't see it as much because you don't follow their teams, but every QB vents during down games/years.

Vent all you want.  I personally like to see the passion.  Quit?  Take your ball and go home?  Hell, no...especially when that team just made you one of the highest paid players (at that time) and you gladly took the front-loaded money.  Big, big difference.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 10:29 AM)Wyche Wrote: ......but he wasn't referring to FA moves in my opinion.  I think he was talking about the coaching staff.  Maybe it was Marv (the timing certainly points to that), or maybe it was some of the lifers on staff.....

Probably, which he likely still doesn't want to say publicly.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 10:34 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Vent all you want.  I personally like to see the passion.  Quit?  Take your ball and go home?  Hell, no...especially when that team just made you one of the highest paid players (at that time) and you gladly took the front-loaded money.  Big, big difference.

Carson Palmer quit?  That's funny, I could have sworn there was some guy named Palmer who had been playing QB for the past 4 years, restructured his contracts multiple times to clear cap space for the good of his teams, and was rehabbing like a madman to get back on the field and play for a SB-contending team that voted him team captain in a landslide.  Hmm, must be his brother or something. Ninja
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 02:43 AM)fredtoast Wrote: He left a team that had been to the playoffs twice in 6 years for a team that had not even had a winning season in 9 years.

I'm sure he didn't miss playing pittsburg and Baltimore twice a year...although to be fair, he owned Baltimore.
Reply/Quote
Again, 3 pages into this and no one has yet to admit that the almighty Marvin who saved this franchise and led us to 4 straight 12th place finishes also threatened to "quit" on Mike Brown and even did so before Carson. We're just going to pretend that never happened, I guess.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 10:39 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Carson Palmer quit?  That's funny, I could have sworn there was some guy named Palmer who had been playing QB for the past 4 years, restructured his contracts multiple times to clear cap space for the good of his teams, and was rehabbing like a madman to get back on the field and play for a SB-contending team that voted him team captain in a landslide.  Hmm, must be his brother or something. Ninja

What would you call it?  He was under contract and didn't show up.  That's quitting.  I don't care what he did before that.  He was paid ridiculous money (top 3 in the NFL at one point) and LOTS of other players restructure their deals and rehab like madmen without quitting.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 10:52 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: What would you call it?  He was under contract and didn't show up.  That's quitting.  I don't care what he did before that.  He was paid ridiculous money (top 3 in the NFL at one point) and LOTS of other players restructure their deals and rehab like madmen without quitting.

Nately pointed out a bunch of stuff Palmer did AFTER "quitting".
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 10:52 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: What would you call it?  He was under contract and didn't show up.  That's quitting.  I don't care what he did before that.  He was paid ridiculous money (top 3 in the NFL at one point) and LOTS of other players restructure their deals and rehab like madmen without quitting.

That is your chosen conclusion, and I disagree with it.  During the 2011 off-season both Carson Palmer and Marvin Lewis raised major concerns about the franchise with Mike Brown.  Mike Brown refused to budge on either and Marvin chose to fall back in line and Carson chose not to.

They both threatened to "quit" as you put it but for some reason only the guy who was actually able to get hired at the same position with another team is demonized while the guy who probably figured it was Bengals-or-nothing stopped making demands and walked back to his cage with his tail between his legs to continue dreaming of the practice facility Mikey won't give him.

The only reason Carson missed game time in 2011 is because Mike Brown would rather win an argument than entertain trade offers.  Carson could have been traded that spring and all this manufactured controversy would have stayed quiet. But just like those neighbors you have that argue as loudly as they want because they don't care what people think of them, the Bengals managed to turn it into yet another player vs. Mike Brown off-season debacle.

That's my take.  I realize it requires more thought than "He quit, he's a quitter" so feel free to dismiss it.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 11:12 AM)Nately120 Wrote: That is your chosen conclusion, and I disagree with it.  During the 2011 off-season both Carson Palmer and Marvin Lewis raised major concerns about the franchise with Mike Brown.  Mike Brown refused to budge on either and Marvin chose to fall back in line and Carson chose not to.

They both threatened to "quit" as you put it but for some reason only the guy who was actually able to get hired at the same position with another team is demonized while the guy who probably figured it was Bengals-or-nothing stopped making demands and walked back to his cage with his tail between his legs to continue dreaming of the practice facility Mikey won't give him.

The only reason Carson missed game time in 2011 is because Mike Brown would rather win an argument than entertain trade offers.  Carson could have been traded that spring and all this manufactured controversy would have stayed quiet. But just like those neighbors you have that argue as loudly as they want because they don't care what people think of them, the Bengals managed to turn it into yet another player vs. Mike Brown off-season debacle.

That's my take.  I realize it requires more thought than "He quit, he's a quitter" so feel free to dismiss it.

[Image: Drops-Mic-Walks-Away-Gif.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2015, 06:08 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: I will.  Especially when a year later they draft AJ Green in the first round.  

Granted we're reading between the lines, but I don't think the personnel was the problem.  Based on the timing I think the problem was Marvin.  Carson openly said it wasn't Brat, and he announced his retirement/ trade ultimatum almost immediately after Marvin was retained.  Later he said it was definitely not the fans.

During the season TO (who may be a jerk - but at least is transparent) clearly alluded to a rift between some players and the coaching staff - pointing mostly to Marvin.  TO clearly thought we had the offensive personnel to win and was vocal in his frustration with the rigid thinking of the coaching staff.

There's a lot to like with Marvin, and I like the fact that in certain ways he's shown the ability to learn.  But I get the idea that he's hard headed and makes emotional decisions.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 10:34 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Vent all you want.  I personally like to see the passion.  Quit?  Take your ball and go home?  Hell, no...especially when that team just made you one of the highest paid players (at that time) and you gladly took the front-loaded money.  Big, big difference.

Not disagreeing. Just pointing out that guys like Peyton and Brees do get vocal about their teams and frustrations just like Carson did.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 11:25 AM)Benton Wrote: Not disagreeing. Just pointing out that guys like Peyton and Brees do get vocal about their teams and frustrations just like Carson did.

Winning fixes everything, and/or being a winner changes what people think.  Hines Ward would call out his QBs and whine and complain as much, if not more than TO or Chad (ok maybe not MORE than TO) but he was just being "a vocal leader" and he was doing the "right thing" because "young players look up to guys with rings" and so on. 

Chad goes on dancing with the stars and then has a down year in the NFL and people go on about how it's obvious he doesn't care about football and he's too busy being a diva TV star.  Hines ward goes on the SAME show, does the same thing and then completely falls off a cliff the next season and I'll be darned if I heard one single person claim that Hines stunk because his head wasn't in the game and he'd rather dance than play football. Nope, everyone was too busy stroking themselves over how much HONOR he had for retiring a Steeler rather than go somewhere else when it seemed to me no other team wanted him. Again, deductive reasoning.

The same deductive reasoning happen with Carson and Bengals fans.  Carson, for lack of a better term, is a bit of an emotional robot...he just doesn't get too high or too low when it comes to expression.  When we would lose people would say that he just has no fire, no leadership, doesn't care.  When we would win people would say he is unshakable, he has icewater in his veins, he keeps calm under pressure, etc..  It's such deductive, self-serving, biased stuff.
Reply/Quote