Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Temper your expectations
My expectations have been tempered my whole life until they win a playoff win I'm not gonna let them fool my happiness
Who Dey!!!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2017, 09:35 PM)GodFather Wrote: This is the psyche of some Bengal fans who think regardless of any logic that "This will be the year because____"

I equate it to an addicted gambler who thinks their next play they will hit big!

And then there's the psyche of other fans who think they have the right to determine how others should think.

If you're not gonna root, don't ***** root.   Go all in or stay home.  Why do anything half assed?  It's the right of every fan to be as optimistic as they want.  If you hope and you're wrong, what have you lost?  And if you don't hope, why bother?

Trying to apply every day logic to fanhood is just plain dumb.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(07-22-2017, 09:23 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Well you might be right.. but Matt Ryan was sacked 37 times last regular season.... and look what they did.. granted they were able to run the ball well.. but still 37 sacks is a lot and they went 11-5 in regular season.. 

Russell Wilson was sacked 40 times and their offense (and his numbers) took a hit.

There are exceptions, but in general you want to keep your QB relatively clean for a reason. Even Brady hates pressure.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
NO! NO! NO! THE BENGALS are scientifically proven to win the next 100 superbowls! 

Or perhaps not..

Realistically there has never been a season I didn't feel overly optimistic about the Bengals...even the 90s.. I'm THAT MUCH OF a homer this time of year and nothing Hobson ever writes is wrong.... Except for the stuff he writes for Bengals.com. That's usually just fluff .. but the rest is always 100% accurate 100% of the time..

Ok.. Time to sober up..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
First offensive play of the season will see,

Ross running a Go on the left side
Green running a Deep Post on the right side
Eifert in the Slot running a 15 yard Hook in the middle
Hill and Mixon set in the "I"

Dalton gets the ball, fakes to Hill who then runs left to help Ogbuhei, Mixon runs a quick across the middle and Dalton lets it fly to Ross down the left side who is single covered for a 49 yard throw and 26 yard run for a quick 6.
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2017, 10:17 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Russell Wilson was sacked 40 times and their offense (and his numbers) took a hit.

There are exceptions, but in general you want to keep your QB relatively clean for a reason. Even Brady hates pressure.

trust me I coached, I understand not a good thing to be sacked but I wanted to point out.. sacks don;t just mean you are doomed, also Altanta was able to run the ball well,, that is probably the difference of their success and failure on offense when factoring in the sacks.. so lets hope with addition to Mixon and i would say run blocking should be easier for our young tackles to improve on vs pass blocking we could see the running game take pressure off our passing game and open things up in the passing game. 
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2017, 11:32 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: trust me I coached, I understand not a good thing to be sacked but I wanted to point out.. sacks don;t just mean you are doomed, also Altanta was able to run the ball well,, that is probably the difference of their success and failure on offense when factoring in the sacks.. so lets hope with addition to Mixon and i would say run blocking should be easier for our young tackles to improve on vs pass blocking we could see the running game take pressure off our passing game and open things up in the passing game. 

I'm not disagreeing with your overall point. Just wanted to point out that it's not very often that a QB gets sacked at a high rate and still has an MVP caliber season like Ryan had. That was truly a special season for he and the Falcons where everything came together in a huge way. I agree a good run game can help, but our track record in that category isn't good over the last 11 years, so I wouldn't count on it.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2017, 12:25 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Not going  over the flaws of this team because they've been talked about to death.

Yes, we have many promising rookies to look forward to. But they're still rookies.

I plan to enjoy watching their development and looking forward to next year. But I find it hard to be optimistic about a good showing this year from the bengals.

I'm tempering my expectations because even if they're great, Marvin probably won't play them.  I saw an article already where he was downplaying Mixon and saying how young he is, so we're probably stuck with Hill this year.
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2017, 11:12 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: First offensive play of the season will see,

Ross running a Go on the left side
Green running a Deep Post on the right side
Eifert in the Slot running a 15 yard Hook in the middle
Hill and Mixon set in the "I"

Dalton gets the ball, fakes to Hill who then runs left to help Ogbuhei, Mixon runs a quick across the middle and Dalton lets it fly to Ross down the left side who is single covered for a 49 yard throw and 26 yard run for a quick 6.

Up the left side for a 2 yard gain.

Reply/Quote
(07-23-2017, 07:10 AM)jeremydc Wrote: Up the left side for a 2 yard gain.

Delay of game on the opening kickoff.

Witnessed that before...
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2017, 05:33 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I'm tempering my expectations because even if they're great, Marvin probably won't play them.  I saw an article already where he was downplaying Mixon and saying how young he is, so we're probably stuck with Hill this year.

Everything points to mixon playing. Hill already admitted mixon will get touches
Reply/Quote
I almost expect the Bengals to appear on a dating site for lowered expectations. 
Likes long walks on beaches, etc..
Are you a fan of a team that has never won the super bowl and your best expectations are that your team may someday win A playoff game? 
Well, the Cincinnati Bengals may just be the team for you. 
Sure we're out of shape and our head coach has issues, but we're in it for the long haul and we won't show up at your kids birthday parties drunk, usually. 
Our team colors are perfectly matched for Halloween night and our offensive line is scary, but not so scary that your grandma will have a heart attack when she meets them for the first time. 
Yes, we like long walks on the beach despite the fact that Cincinnati is located along a big river instead of the ocean so as a fan there's no worries about games getting cancelled because of hurricane conditions. 
We may never win the super bowl, but as an added bonus we're not Cleveland. 
So relax and become a Bengals fan and never have to worry about losing in the last seconds of the super bowl again because consistency counts more than actually winning. We're extremely consistent with our post season record and what can be better than that? 

As you can tell, I've been thoroughly Bengalized and I'm darned proud of it.  By the way, don't date a woman who touts the benefits of sea breeze aromas.  The sea generally smells like dead fish. That should be the first clue.   
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(07-23-2017, 05:33 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I'm tempering my expectations because even if they're great, Marvin probably won't play them.  I saw an article already where he was downplaying Mixon and saying how young he is, so we're probably stuck with Hill this year.

He will play if he performs well and there is a need.. no real evidence that the Bengals just sit rookies because they are rookies... many variables go into playing rookies.. besides would you rather we just play rookies regardless of anything else ?

I believe the biggest test to decide how much Mixon plays this season will be his ability to pick up blitz and block for Andy... if he is subpar in this area, does not matter how great a runner he is, that will limit his playing time. 
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2017, 09:45 PM)McC Wrote: And then there's the psyche of other fans who think they have the right to determine how others should think.

If you're not gonna root, don't ***** root.   Go all in or stay home
.  Why do anything half assed?  It's the right of every fan to be as optimistic as they want.  If you hope and you're wrong, what have you lost?  And if you don't hope, why bother?

Trying to apply every day logic to fanhood is just plain dumb.
Kinda like your post?
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2017, 03:35 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: I mean, we can if you want. I've just seen them discussed to death so I didnt think there was a need to.

Off-season was god awful offensively. Defensively we'll be fine. But I don't see the offense improving.

Again, the bright spots to it all are a bunch of rookies. Even defensively it's like that with Lawson billings wj3 etc.  Theyre promising, but still rookies. How many rookies turn into daks and zekes year one?

God awful adding John Ross the fastest player ever that has an extensive route tree and Joe Mixon the RB with the best vision in decades...

I know they are rookies but we have had rookies play great before as Wolf here says.

Billings is my favorite DT in college of all time, cannot believe we got this guy. Minter can cover and tackle unlike the guy he is replacing.

We all know the question mark at LT and i hated losing Whit but for all we know it was the right decision, we will see.

I am expecting a very good regular season and a loss in the Playoffs. I would be surprised if this team doesn't win atleast 8 games and if they don't Marv will be gone and i will be happy about it. I have learned to take the bad with the good with this team and football is my favorite sport to watch and this is my favorite team in all of sports.

I for one am very excited to watch this team this year.

Lame ass Marv has never had a more talented roster to work with.

I am predicting 13 wins and a loss in the Playoffs. Guenther becomes Head Coach in 2018 and we make a run for the SB.

(07-22-2017, 09:42 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Well, don't forget, these two guys had veterans from all positions all around them. Best offensive line in football. Dez Bryant out there. Jason Witten is one of the most underrated tight ends.

It's not like they were in rebuild mode.

But we've had rookies be successful here.

Dalton and Green were VERY successful their rookie season. Especially considering what happened to this team in general.

Dunlap had 9.5 sacks his rookie season.

Hill and Gio both had VERY productive rookie seasons. Hill had 1300+ all purpose yards and Gio had 1200+ all purpose yards.

And that's just from our team. There's multiple other teams that had players come in their rookie year and make an impact.

So, I mean, it's not hard to believe that John Ross and Joe Mixon could have success with the likes of Dalton, Green, Eifert, LaFell, Boyd, Hill, and Gio around them. If anything, it allows us not to be one dimensional.

Completely agree Wolf. Cool
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2017, 11:49 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: He will play if he performs well and there is a need.. no real evidence that the Bengals just sit rookies because they are rookies... many variables go into playing rookies.. besides would you rather we just play rookies regardless of anything else ?

I believe the biggest test to decide how much Mixon plays this season will be his ability to pick up blitz and block for Andy... if he is subpar in this area, does not matter how great a runner he is, that will limit his playing time. 

I've never sat down and figured out statistics for it but it seems like he usually sits the rookies.  Unless they really stink like Bodine.  Burfict is the exception.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2017, 06:30 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I've never sat down and figured out statistics for it but it seems like he usually sits the rookies.  Unless they really stink like Bodine.  Burfict is the exception.

I have looked at draft picks (1 to 4 rounds for sure) and there is no indication our rookies sit for just being rookies.. some start right away, some are hurt and can't start, some are behind veterans that are better and some just don't work out...
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2017, 02:28 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: I for one am excited that my favorite team in my favorite sport is about to begin a new season.

And this is really what it all comes down to.  I don't have any expectations, I just enjoy watching football.  Especially the Bengals.  Nothing to temper here.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
My expectations for the Cincinnati Bengals haven't been this high since 1988.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2017, 07:24 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: My expectations for the Cincinnati Bengals haven't been this high since 1988.

Really? 

That's some damn fine optimism, I envy that actually. 

But I mean... You look at the offensive line from 1988 and the one we have today... 

I hope like hell they prove me wrong 
Reply/Quote