Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tempered Expectations with Burrow
I've seen a ton of hype around Burrow coming in and being the savior for the Bengals. He has been extremely impressive, especially last year and I do strongly believe he'll be a great player for the Bengals for many years to come. He has been a leader (already), he has been a winner (already), and he has earned the respect of teammates (already). He's a first pick overall and coming off a championship and expectations are very high as they should be. This is all very good news for a franchise starving for a winner and someone who can take control and be a great leader.

All that said, he is a rookie, he will make rookie mistakes, he will inevitable make some bad decisions. No matter what all the NFL talking heads, vocal fans, and others are saying during the offseason at the end of the day the guy is still a rookie and a human being. All the hype of him coming out and swinging his 10-inch hog around and just dominating the league right away is going to have some folks up in arms when it doesn't happen every game. Frankly I'm hoping all these same people who are thinking he's the second-coming of Christ are patient enough to realize it's going to take some time for him to adjust to NFL and for the team to gel in general. With Covid this year and all the lack of normal interaction, no preseason games, etc. it's going to take time. Patience is key and I hope the hype doesn't get to him, he seems like a guy who won't let that happen but I don't know if he has enough history with "losing" to have a good way to handle it when it inevitably happens. Time will tell.

I truly hope I'm wrong and hope he comes in and just crushes everything, but some folks just need to realize that might not be the case right off the bat. Patience my friends...patience.
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote
So you're saying there shouldn't be a plethora of "we should've drafted Young/Tua" posts if his first pass isn't a TD?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2020, 10:57 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: So you're saying there shouldn't be a plethora of "we should've drafted Young/Tua" posts if his first pass isn't a TD?

There shouldn't be I have a feeling there will be...
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2020, 11:01 PM)WestCoastBengalsFan Wrote: There shouldn't be I have a feeling there will be...

he's already been crowned king around here and I have to admit, i am starting to believe it!

Reply/Quote
He's not going to come in and crush anything except a few TD's and a few pics as well. He will learn the speed of the NFL this year, and progressively get better as it rolls on. No high expectations here, just want to watch the kid grow in stripes. He will get better as the year goes on, but he wont be SB quality or even playoff quality. But this is his workout year. Time to learn, time to focus, time to grieve. Next year? Well, I think that's his year. He may surprise us tho?

Reply/Quote
(07-24-2020, 11:20 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: He's not going to come in and crush anything except a few TD's and a few pics as well. He will learn the speed of the NFL this year, and progressively get better as it rolls on. No high expectations here, just want to watch the kid grow in stripes. He will get better as the year goes on, but he wont be SB quality or even playoff quality. But this is his workout year. Time to learn, time to focus, time to grieve. Next year? Well, I think that's his year. He may surprise us tho?

I really hope he does go crazy, that would be amazing. The way every single article being written is setup he has already won 16 SB's for the Bengals and single-handedly rescued some old folks from a fire, all while being the president of MENSA. Again, time will tell how quick he adjusts and hope it's happens sooner than later! 
Reply/Quote
https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2020/07/24/bengals-joe-burrow-spotted-cincinnati-working-out-sam-hubbard/

Looks like Burrow has been hitting the gym pretty hard. He looks Jacked

Attached Files Image(s)

Reply/Quote
I go between being really optimistic and thinking he'll be a work in progress. Not sure what to expect until game day, but I love his potential at the very least.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2020, 12:42 AM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2020/07/24/bengals-joe-burrow-spotted-cincinnati-working-out-sam-hubbard/

Wouldn’t want to mess with that Drew Sample guy. Chemistry with Burrow? Hmmm
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2020, 01:25 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Wouldn’t want to mess with that Drew Sample guy. Chemistry with Burrow? Hmmm
I like the poster.

Not sure who the folks are that don't realize that Joe is a rookie,  with all that comes with it.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
Well, I got Burrow jerseys for me and my two sons who are flying out to watch the Bengals play the Eagles with me at BW3s here in Boise. Got Jacob the Orange alternate version, the home black one for Jackson, and the white away one for myself. That, plus my change in screen name, says something for how stoked I am about Joebi-Wan – Our New Hope (Hey, at least I'm not calling him Jesus. That'll be after the first Super Bowl victory). And I'm kind of serious about that.

I love Andy Dalton as a person, but he is deteriorating as a player. We weren't going to the playoffs with Andy ever again. Zac saw that, and things really fell in place for us to snag a QB of Joebi-Wan's caliber with the first pick in the draft. Will the first Super Bowl come this season? Probably not, but that won't be entirely on him. He has weapons, but our defense is sorely untested. We have a ton of new guys. There's alot we don't know and won't know until the season starts. I think there's more hope now than at anytime since 2005 that we can reach another Super Bowl in the near future. We still have to get a few more of the right pieces in the right places, but we have a solid foundation to build on and very smart, young QB who knows how to lead and how to win. I don't expect perfection from Joebi-Wan. He's just a padawan – a rookie! He will make mistakes, but I can guarantee you that he will learn from those mistakes and not repeat or make a habit of them. He is "impressive, most impressive, but he's not a Jedi, yet." Rock On
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2020, 12:42 AM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2020/07/24/bengals-joe-burrow-spotted-cincinnati-working-out-sam-hubbard/

He certainly does. Looks almost as big as Sample. Lol

Reply/Quote
(07-24-2020, 10:54 PM)WestCoastBengalsFan Wrote: I've seen a ton of hype around Burrow coming in and being the savior for the Bengals. He has been extremely impressive, especially last year and I do strongly believe he'll be a great player for the Bengals for many years to come. He has been a leader (already), he has been a winner (already), and he has earned the respect of teammates (already). He's a first pick overall and coming off a championship and expectations  are very high as they should be. This is all very good news for a franchise starving for a winner and someone who can take control and be a great leader.

All that said, he is a rookie, he will make rookie mistakes, he will inevitable make some bad decisions. No matter what all the NFL talking heads, vocal fans, and others are saying during the offseason at the end of the day the guy is still a rookie and a human being. All the hype of him coming out and swinging his 10-inch hog around and just dominating the league right away is going to have some folks up in arms when it doesn't happen every game. Frankly I'm hoping all these same people who are thinking he's the second-coming of Christ are patient enough to realize it's going to take some time for him to adjust to NFL and for the team to gel in general. With Covid this year and all the lack of normal interaction, no preseason games, etc. it's going to take time. Patience is key and I hope the hype doesn't get to him, he seems like a guy who won't let that happen but I don't know if he has enough history with "losing" to have a good way to handle it when it inevitably happens. Time will tell.

I truly hope I'm wrong and hope he comes in and just crushes everything, but some folks just need to realize that might not be the case right off the bat. Patience my friends...patience.

Who do some fans have lower expectations for a QB walking into a situation with great weapons at WR? Far better than AD did and AD led us to the playoffs. AD had obstacles also as CBA hurt his development.

Joe B. should not be coddled. Yes, he will make mistakes, but so does Brady and Mahomes and other great QB's.

He is a #1 overall pick and will make more money the next 4 years than any other rookie. He need to earn that money and play like a #1 overall pick quickly. 

I think he will.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Not saying he will be an instant star, but anything can happen.

I remember when LeBron James came into the NBA.  I said he was going to be great, but that as a 19 year old rookie it would take him a year to adjust to playing against NBA veterans instead of high school boys.  He ended the season 8th in the league in points and top 15 in steals and assists.  He was also the 3rd leading rebounder for the Cavs.

I realize LeBron was a "generational" talent, but no player in NCAA history has had a season like Joe did last year.  And very few NFL rookie QBs have had 5 years of college experience under the best coaches in the country.

[Image: keep-calm-and-let-me-dream-g1-hoodies-sw...hoodie.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2020, 11:17 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Who do some fans have lower expectations for a QB walking into a situation with great weapons at WR? Far better than AD did and AD led us to the playoffs. AD had obstacles also as CBA hurt his development.

Joe B. should not be coddled. Yes, he will make mistakes, but so does Brady and Mahomes and other great QB's.

He is a #1 overall pick and will make more money the next 4 years than any other rookie. He need to earn that money and play like a #1 overall pick quickly. 

I think he will.

You have to stop with this.

The situations are not the same. When Dalton came in we had an established HC, who had won the division twice, and Mike Zimmer at DC. Our current coaching staff has a lot of work to do to get to that level.

Reply/Quote
(07-25-2020, 01:19 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You have to stop with this.

The situations are not the same. When Dalton came in we had an established HC, who had won the division twice, and Mike Zimmer at DC. Our current coaching staff has a lot of work to do to get to that level.

And at this time in 2011 many people here were saying it was ridiculous that Mike had hired our rookie OC from an Arena League team.  Just another reason why we were going to continue to be the "laughingstock of the league".
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2020, 02:29 AM)BURROWorBUST Wrote:  He is "impressive, most impressive, but he's not a Jedi, yet."  Rock On

[Image: 49e8jf.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(07-25-2020, 01:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And at this time in 2011 many people here were saying it was ridiculous that Mike had hired our rookie OC from an Arena League team.  Just another reason why we were going to continue to be the "laughingstock of the league".

Which is why I didn’t mention Jay. We still had a far better coaching staff when Dalton came in than we do right now. Jay was just one question mark. We currently have a staff full of them.

Reply/Quote
(07-25-2020, 01:19 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You have to stop with this.

You and others confuse me. You rant for years ML was a bad HC. You rant AD was a horrible QB.

I digress, but the reality is I always set high expectations for my employees and myself. I don't make excuses for them in case they fail to do their job.

So, KMA, I will never stop expecting great things from anyone I know is capable of great things.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2020, 03:36 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: You and others confuse me. You rant for years ML was a bad HC. You rant AD was a horrible QB.

I digress, but the reality is I always set high expectations for my employees and myself. I don't make excuses for them in case they fail to do their job.

So, KMA, I will never stop expecting great things from anyone I know is capable of great things.

ML was never "a bad" HC, he just wasn't a great HC. He just couldn't get over the hump. And AD was never a "horrible QB" like ML he just had his limitations.

I think most on here would agree with that.

As far as JB's expectations I believe we should expect a lot. It's just that you also have to understand he's a rookie and he's going to make some rookie mistakes. But I believe his learning curve even with pretty much no practice will advance quickly. He's a fart smeller.
Reply/Quote