Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Tennessee Legislature expels 2 members
The Memphis City Council which has the responsibility to appoint a temporary legislator for their now open seat has said they have enough votes to appoint expelled legislator Justin Pierson back to his seat pending the required special election

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 08:24 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The 'White Woman' only escaped expulsion by one (1) vote.  So, there is that.

Sexist bastards
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 08:27 PM)pally Wrote: The Memphis City Council which has the responsibility to appoint a temporary legislator for their now open seat has said they have enough votes to appoint expelled legislator Justin Pierson back to his seat pending the required special election

Don't worry...the gop has a backup plan.

[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
To me the black men got what they deserved by not following the rules. The woman did not for some reason. Maybe it's because she's a woman and not because she is white. People jump on the race card awful quickly. Why wasn't the white men also claiming sexism?
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 10:33 PM)GMDino Wrote: Don't worry...the gop has a backup plan.

So if Citizens of Memphis can lose state funding as a consequence of democratically electing a candidate, perhaps they can stop paying state taxes.  Taxation without representation and all.  I'd buy as many guns and Punisher shirts as possible and march on the capital. The GOP loves doing that, so it might be fun to see how they react when someone they hate does it to them. I don't think Ronnie Reagan was spouting pro NRA rhetoric when he saw the Panthers doing that stuff when he was gov of California. I think this should be a mandatory response. The GOP loves guns, so get a few thousand maybe not-so-white people with guns to show up to their legislature to exercise their constitutional rights.

I feel like they should go all MTG and threaten to secede from Tennessee and become the 51st state.  Give the Dems another 2 Senate seats, an electoral vote or 2, and appoint the ousted rep governor.  Forget DC and Puerto Rico.  Do the end around and get Memphis.

Also, speaking of Margie, maybe Biden can use the Tennessee GOP template to get Jeffries to oust MTG from Congress when she goes on one of her mama baboon howling trips when he speaks. It's not fair to people of her district, but she's being not nice, and now that's apparently enough to remove in some legislatures. She can take that piece of shit Joe Wilson with her, too.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 11:26 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: To me the black men got what they deserved by not following the rules. The woman did not for some reason. Maybe it's because she's a woman and not because she is white. People jump on the race card awful quickly. Why wasn't the white men also claiming sexism?

Nice to see that LAW AND ORDER spirit is back. 

It's was off last week only God knows why !

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 10:50 AM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: Nice to see that LAW AND ORDER spirit is back. 

It's was off last week only God knows why !

The poster you are talking to likened the charges vs Trump to the persecution of Jesus Christ last week.  Are you really going to go down this rabbit hole?
Reply/Quote
Persecution of Jesus Christ ? I did that ?

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 11:05 AM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: Persecution of Jesus Christ ? I did that ?

No.  The guy you are quoting, lol.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 11:26 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: To me the black men got what they deserved by not following the rules. The woman did not for some reason. Maybe it's because she's a woman and not because she is white. People jump on the race card awful quickly. Why wasn't the white men also claiming sexism?

So in the entire history of Tennessee since the end of the Civil War, these 2 young black legislators were the very first to break the rules of the chamber? We know that isn't true.  But they were the first to be expelled for a rules violation.

They got the ultimate death penalty for breaking a rule. They did not commit a crime, they broke a rule.  It is like suspending an NFL player for holding.  Expelling a member should be reserved for egregious violations such as criminal activity not just because Republicans want more of a power grab in the state. The citizens of Memphis and Nashville, who elected these 2 men, don't deserve to be disenfranchised because of an overreaction.

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 11:26 AM)pally Wrote: So in the entire history of Tennessee since the end of the Civil War, these 2 young black legislators were the very first to break the rules of the chamber? We know that isn't true.  But they were the first to be expelled for a rules violation.

They got the ultimate death penalty for breaking a rule. They did not commit a crime, they broke a rule.  It is like suspending an NFL player for holding.  Expelling a member should be reserved for egregious violations such as criminal activity not just because Republicans want more of a power grab in the state. The citizens of Memphis and Nashville, who elected these 2 men, don't deserve to be disenfranchised because of an overreaction.

It's a very conservative mindset.

Someone says "broke a rule" and then suddenly any extraordinary punishment is justified,

regardless of whether it was applied equally to white males, or applied before for worse offenses. 

"If you don't want the punishment then don't break the rules (that others get to break with impunity)!
Reply/Quote
Ousted legislator Justin Jones was unanimously appointed by the 36 members present of the Nashville city council back to fill his seat.

The Shelby County board of commissioners will meet We’d and are expected to appoint Justin Pearson back to his seat as well.

By law, the Governor must set a primary date within 60 days and a special election within 107 to formerly fill these seats. Both Justins have said they are running and both are favored to win.

All the Tennessee republicans have done is cost their state hundreds of thousands of dollars. And have shown themselves to be power crazed bigots to the world.

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 10:56 AM)samhain Wrote: The poster you are talking to likened the charges vs Trump to the persecution of Jesus Christ last week.  Are you really going to go down this rabbit hole?

Please don't put words in my mouth. Trump is not Jesus. I was just referencing how people can falsely accuse someone.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2023, 06:57 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Please don't put words in my mouth. Trump is not Jesus. I was just referencing how people can falsely accuse someone.

Yep.  You said there was precedent for false accusations.  You said you discussed it in bible study before Holy Week, thus inferring that Trump was Christ-like. 

Reply/Quote
There are people who send that guy money for he can buy a fourth plane and somehow be a ministy of God so nothing can surprise me anymore from their reasoning.

Talk about crooks ?

[Image: ?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmediadc-brightspot.s3....peland.jpg]

[Image: php2KEm8q.jpg]

That is phenomenal.

He looks like Palpatine on crack. 

[Image: 9y1b.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I wouldn't be surprised to see these two run for national office in the near future. They are the most well known state legislators in the entire country because of this whole fiasco.

I'm looking around for what rules they broke to justify getting expelled and I could only find this:
Quote:The three technically broke House rules by speaking when they were not recognized to. Jones and Pearson addressed protesters with a bullhorn.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/memphis-council-vote-reinstating-justin-j-pearson-tennessee-legislatur-rcna78958

Is this somehow downplaying what they did? Or did the Republicans seriously expel two Democrats for speaking when not recognized?

If true, Tennessee Republicans are pathetic.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2023, 04:15 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I wouldn't be surprised to see these two run for national office in the near future. They are the most well known state legislators in the entire country because of this whole fiasco.

I'm looking around for what rules they broke to justify getting expelled and I could only find this:
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/memphis-council-vote-reinstating-justin-j-pearson-tennessee-legislatur-rcna78958

Is this somehow downplaying what they did? Or did the Republicans seriously expel two Democrats for speaking when not recognized?

If true, Tennessee Republicans are pathetic.

That's exactly what they did

Reply/Quote
(04-11-2023, 04:57 PM)samhain Wrote: Yep.  You said there was precedent for false accusations.  You said you discussed it in bible study before Holy Week, thus inferring that Trump was Christ-like. 

Well, Trump's situation is LIKE that of Jesus, in that liberal Romans and the Sanhedrin were threatened by Jesus efforts to drain the Jerusalem swamp.

Trump also was innocent. His call to Georgia election officials was perfect. He had a perfect right to take and keep classified documents to show friends. He could never rape a woman who was not his type, and he asked his followers to protest "peacefully" while GOP operatives pressured Pence to accept lists of illegitimate electors from 7 states.  So of course the haters want to take him down, taking him from court to court, just like Jesus.

[Image: 1_Last_Supper_of_a_Blessed_Nation_-_10x1...80.jpg?c=2]
Reply/Quote
He has not been expelled. Taxpayers paid the cost of relocating one intern away from the harasser.

Reply/Quote
(04-20-2023, 02:28 PM)pally Wrote: He has not been expelled.  Taxpayers paid the cost of relocating one intern away from the harasser.  

Yeah but did he do it through a megaphone? Ninja
Reply/Quote