Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tennessee to make Bible States official book
http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2016/04/04/bill-make-bible-official-state-book-heads-haslam/82625250/

This is just stupid.

I wish Christians would just stop this stuff, it's just stupid and will never hold up when the Constitution comes knocking.
I am more upset with all the time they have wasted on this than I am with the actual issue.

I really don't care if the Bible is the official book of the state. But what pisses me off is the amount of time and trouble that has been pent on this issue. A vote on an official state book should not tie up the legislature for weeks.

I am expecting once this is done they will spend a few weeks fighting over making our official state color blue.
(04-05-2016, 09:25 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I am more upset with all the time they have wasted on this than I am with the actual issue.

I really don't care if the Bible is the official book of the state. But what pisses me off is the amount of time and trouble that has been pent on this issue. A vote on an official state book should not tie up the legislature for weeks.

I am expecting once this is done they will spend a few weeks fighting over making our official state color blue.

This is my problem as well. Honestly, who really cares about the state official anything? But the time wasted that is being spent on things like this and other pointless bullshit in legislatures all over this country is astonishing.
(04-05-2016, 09:36 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: This is my problem as well. Honestly, who really cares about the state official anything? But the time wasted that is being spent on things like this and other pointless bullshit in legislatures all over this country is astonishing.

Imagine if it was any other religious book except the bible?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
If Dems are smart they should just show how much it costs when the state has to defend, and lose, this in court.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(04-05-2016, 10:06 AM)michaelsean Wrote: If Dems are smart they should just show how much it costs when the state has to defend, and lose, this in court.

Wouldn't matter.  The GOP backers don't care as long as their religion is being defended.

They think the only time money is wasted is when it is for feeding or taking care of people because people are lazy and don't deserve help.

Just like it says in the bible.

Mellow
(04-05-2016, 10:11 AM)GMDino Wrote: Wouldn't matter.  The GOP backers don't care as long as their religion is being defended.

They think the only time money is wasted is when it is for feeding or taking care of people because people are lazy and don't deserve help.

Just like it says in the bible.

Mellow

I'm guessing Tenn is so strong Republican that it doesn't matter what they do which is probably why Dems won't bother with my suggestion.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(04-05-2016, 10:17 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I'm guessing Tenn is so strong Republican that it doesn't matter what they do which is probably why Dems won't bother with my suggestion.

This has been discussed and it was claimed the the Family Action Council of Tennessee and other private interests would pay for the defense of the action against the evil godless ACLU.
(04-05-2016, 10:29 AM)fredtoast Wrote: And once again you would be wrong.

This has been discussed and it was claimed the the Family Action Council of Tennessee and other private interests would pay for the defense of the action against the evil godless ACLU.

OK.  See Fred when I'm wrong, especially when it's just me hazarding a guess, I have no problem.  I'm not trying to win  the internet.  I'd say it's being a man, but it doesn't even take a man to say, "Oh OK."

There is still a chance Republican Governor Bill Haslam will veto the bill.

The backwater nut-job Republicans in this state have already called for him to be impeached for appointing a Muslim to a position in his administration (no joke). The state is completely controlled by Republicans except for a small section in the west around Memphis, but Haslam does not pander to them.
(04-05-2016, 09:25 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I am more upset with all the time they have wasted on this than I am with the actual issue.

I really don't care if the Bible is the official book of the state.  But what pisses me off is the amount of time and trouble that has been pent on this issue.  A vote on an official state book should not tie up the legislature for weeks.

Agreed. Same in most states and certainly at the federal level.
(04-05-2016, 10:36 AM)Benton Wrote: Agreed. Same in most states and certainly at the federal level.

I knew this had been bouncing around for a while here in Tennessee, but I just googled to find some more details and it has been A FULL YEAR since this was first brought up for a vote.
(04-05-2016, 10:00 AM)GMDino Wrote: Imagine if it was any other religious book except the bible?

Oh, I know. But would they really care about it because it was the state's official book, or would they care about it because they were just xenophobic asshats?
(04-05-2016, 10:00 AM)GMDino Wrote: Imagine if it was any other religious book except the bible?

imagine if it were any other country than one that is vastly Christian
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(04-05-2016, 12:34 PM)bfine32 Wrote: imagine if it were any other country than one that is vastly Christian

According to Tennessee Republicans it could happen anywhere because the importance of the Bible has to do with its historical impact and has nothing to do with religion.  

Because, like you, they all know that the State can not pass any law that promotes one religion over anther, and theyb would NEVER try anything like that.  They love the Constitution too much. Rolleyes
(04-05-2016, 02:01 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2016/04/04/bill-make-bible-official-state-book-heads-haslam/82625250/

This is just stupid.

I wish Christians would just stop this stuff, it's just stupid and will never hold up when the Constitution comes knocking.

Agreed.

I saw this and banged my head on my desk. whoever put that into effect should be removed from office for not being able to follow simple instructions.
(04-05-2016, 12:34 PM)bfine32 Wrote: imagine if it were any other country than one that is vastly Christian

Smart people would still see how dumb it is?

Or would the majority religion there have to do dumb things to validate their beliefs like "good" Christians do here?

Rolleyes
(04-05-2016, 01:50 PM)GMDino Wrote: Smart people would still see how dumb it is?

Or would the majority religion there have to do dumb things to validate their beliefs like "good" Christians do here?

Rolleyes

Not sure that there's a point here other than you telling yourself you are among the smart.

Your question was imagine if it were another relgious book besides the one that the majority of the population adheres to. I am sure there would be issues; just as there would be if they moved to make Farsi the official laguage. But we get too caught up in the smart minority having to show the dumb majority the problem with make the Bible a state book.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(04-05-2016, 02:42 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Not sure that there's a point here other than you telling yourself you are among the smart.

Your question was imagine if it were another relgious book besides the one that the majority of the population adheres to. I am sure there would be issues; just as there would be if they moved to make Farsi the official laguage. But we get too caught up in the smart minority having to show the dumb majority the problem with make the Bible a state book.

[Image: snark_warning.png]

Rolleyes

Making any religious book a state's official book is silly and IMHO dumb.  Sorry if that makes people who think they are smarter than the rest of the room think I meant they were dumb.

Whether it the majority or not.

Just like passing laws to say there can be no Sharia laws is silly and dumb.

Just like anytime one party wants to show its "majority" how much they love their beliefs by doing something that is a waste of time and money.
(04-05-2016, 02:42 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Not sure that there's a point here other than you telling yourself you are among the smart.

Your question was imagine if it were another relgious book besides the one that the majority of the population adheres to. I am sure there would be issues; 

Why would there be issues?

The Tennessee lawmakers who propose this swear up and down that it is not about religion, but instead about "historical significance".  They all know that they can not pass a law promoting one religion over any other, and they do not want to "trample on the Constitution" like Obama has done. Hilarious