Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Terrace Marshall Jr.
Saw him mentioned in an Athletic article about our 2nd round pick. There’s been some talk about Chase because of need and the Burrow connection, but that was before we played our way into the Sewell sweepstakes. What are people’s thoughts on potentially reuniting Burrow with a different LSU WR? He caught 13 TD passes from Joe in 2019, and has a good combination of size and speed. I’m sure some won’t like that he’s opted out for the rest of the season, but personally that doesn’t bother me.

I know we desperately need pass rushers, and if there’s a good one on the board when we pick at 35 we should absolutely take him, but if there’s no one we like at that spot Marshall could be an interesting option.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Highlights with and without Burrow:

https://youtu.be/VQsx3tGuvV0

https://youtu.be/d8WR9ngPT40

Reply/Quote
At this point I think we're looking for WR3. I'd much rather spend our early 2nd Rounder on whichever side of the line we don't address in the 1st.

Give me a fast, slot guy later in the draft 4-5 rd. maybe someone like Chat Atwell out of UofL or Whop Philyor out of IU
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
It really depends on what they do in FA. I’m betting Sewell in the first then either DL pass rush, CB, or maybe WR. I don’t know much about the players coming out so I won’t drop names.
Reply/Quote
I think he's worth consideration.

He could experience a Justin Jefferson-like stock increase as the off season goes on because, as you said, he is a great prospect in terms of measurables. His production was very TD centric, as he only has 1594 career yards in 2 and a half seasons, but the touchdown production is significant. If he has a 4.40 40 and impressive combine numbers, he could become a first round pick real quick. Especially since he continued to produce at a higher level this year (granted, the top two receivers from last year are not playing this year) without Burrow. He opted out of the season, but that's not a huge red flag given this season's circumstances.

Honestly, when it comes to the 2nd round pick (assuming we secure Sewell at #3), I think BPA is the only viable approach. We have a lot of needs on this team, from CB, to DE, to DT, to OG to OT to WR to even TE.

We basically can't go wrong in the 2nd round assuming we select a player worthy of the slot. We just have that many needs.

The off season will determine a lot of this. If we re-sign WJIII, CB becomes less of a need (but still a pretty big need because...you know...look at what we're dealing with right now with just 1 major injury at CB). If we sign Joe Thuney or Brandon Scherff, then you can probably cross OG off the list etc.

I like the idea of Terrace Marshall Jr in the 2nd, but we'll see how things shake out as the off season progresses. After all, guys you think will go in the 2nd round in December end up being available in the 3rd or 4th round range come April and vice versa. But giving Burrow one of his favorite targets in the red zone from 2019 (10 of his 13 TDs were within the redzone) is quite the draw.
Reply/Quote
I read up on him and really did not sit well the way he handled opting out but if we don;t trade back from early pick and stay pat.. , I would not go WR in 2nd round... I look at adding DLine, Oline, CB or TE in 2nd round before WR
Reply/Quote
Idk how anyone could fault these players for opting out at this point. Getting kind of crazy out there in case you haven’t noticed...

Reply/Quote
(12-03-2020, 06:10 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Idk how anyone could fault these players for opting out at this point. Getting kind of crazy out there in case you haven’t noticed...

How not that he did it. but like I said regardless of how he did it .. I would still not draft a WR in round 2

https://deathvalleyvoice.com/2020/11/30/lsu-football-terrace-marshall-jr-showed-true-character-week/
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2020, 06:36 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: How not that he did it. but like I said regardless of how he did it .. I would still not draft a WR in round 2

https://deathvalleyvoice.com/2020/11/30/lsu-football-terrace-marshall-jr-showed-true-character-week/

From your own article:

I don’t blame Marshall at all for his decision to opt out.

In fact, I think it was a wise choice by the wide receiver. He has nothing to gain by staying at LSU for a few more games, and everything to lose.

What impressed me about Marshall’s decision, however, is how he approached it.

LSU football wide receiver Terrace Marshall Jr showed his true character this week

I’m sure there are some fans who will give Marshall some grief over his decision — that’s just how it goes in college football.

But I think everyone should have a ton of respect for Marshall, simply because of how he handled the decision (which I would call a business decision).

Tigers head coach Ed Orgeron said on Monday that Marshall came to his office and talked to him “like a man” about the decision (via Brooks Kubena).

“He explained his decision, I respected his decision,” said Orgeron.

It would’ve been easy for Marshall to send a text and quietly leave LSU.

Instead, Marshall, who is arguably the team’s best offensive player, talked to his coach in person. He did the right thing, which probably wasn’t easy.

NEXT: LSU the favorite for former Tennessee commit?
Marshall should be commended for how he handled his opt out. It says a lot about who he is as a player and as a person.

Some NFL team is going to be really lucky to draft Marshall next spring.

Reply/Quote
(12-03-2020, 06:49 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: From your own article:

I don’t blame Marshall at all for his decision to opt out.

In fact, I think it was a wise choice by the wide receiver. He has nothing to gain by staying at LSU for a few more games, and everything to lose.

What impressed me about Marshall’s decision, however, is how he approached it.

LSU football wide receiver Terrace Marshall Jr showed his true character this week

I’m sure there are some fans who will give Marshall some grief over his decision — that’s just how it goes in college football.

But I think everyone should have a ton of respect for Marshall, simply because of how he handled the decision (which I would call a business decision).

Tigers head coach Ed Orgeron said on Monday that Marshall came to his office and talked to him “like a man” about the decision (via Brooks Kubena).

“He explained his decision, I respected his decision,” said Orgeron.

It would’ve been easy for Marshall to send a text and quietly leave LSU.

Instead, Marshall, who is arguably the team’s best offensive player, talked to his coach in person. He did the right thing, which probably wasn’t easy.

NEXT: LSU the favorite for former Tennessee commit?
Marshall should be commended for how he handled his opt out. It says a lot about who he is as a player and as a person.

Some NFL team is going to be really lucky to draft Marshall next spring.

I have a feeling he just skimmed the headline and took it as a negative.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2020, 06:55 PM)Whatever Wrote: I have a feeling he just skimmed the headline and took it as a negative.

That’s exactly what he did.

Reply/Quote
I'm sure that Marshall is a very good player, and a fine individual, but I'd personally be disappointed if the Bengals took a WR at #35.

Not that another weapon would be a bad thing for Joe Burrow, it's just that there are too many fundamental needs that have to be addressed, before we start adding to an already fine group of skill position players.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2020, 07:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm sure that Marshall is a very good player, and a fine individual, but I'd personally be disappointed if the Bengals took a WR at #35.

Not that another weapon would be a bad thing for Joe Burrow, it's just that there are too many fundamental needs that have to be addressed, before we start adding to an already fine group of skill position players.

We only have 2 good WR’s. AJ and Ross will be gone next year. I like Tate, but he has not shown he can be a #3. It’s as big a need as any position, imo.

Reply/Quote
Not saying we need to take one at 35, but we do need to address it.

Reply/Quote
(12-03-2020, 07:40 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Not saying we need to take one at 35, but we do need to address it.

I'd address WR3 in FA. Josh Reynolds specifically.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-03-2020, 07:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm sure that Marshall is a very good player, and a fine individual, but I'd personally be disappointed if the Bengals took a WR at #35.

We only have 3 WR's under contract for next year, not counting PS guys.  Tee and Boyd are good.  Tate is a back end of the roster guy that's ending his second straight season on IR.  We need at least 3 through the draft and FA.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2020, 07:38 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We only have 2 good WR’s. AJ and Ross will be gone next year. I like Tate, but he has not shown he can be a #3. It’s as big a need as any position, imo.

(12-03-2020, 08:12 PM)Whatever Wrote: We only have 3 WR's under contract for next year, not counting PS guys.  Tee and Boyd are good.  Tate is a back end of the roster guy that's ending his second straight season on IR.  We need at least 3 through the draft and FA.

Auden Tate still has two years left on his rookie contract, AJ has faded tremendously, and Ross was never that great to begin with.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't pick up WRs via FA or draft, but pass catchers are a heck of a lot easier to find than quality pass rushers and blockers.  Good blocking allows plays to fully develop, so that even average skill players make plays.  If you have good pass rushers and tacklers, you're always IN every game.  This team needs a solid foundation that can control the lines of scrimmage, something that they clearly don't right now.

All the WRs that they need can be found in the mid and later rounds of the draft, and the second tier of Free Agency.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2020, 08:51 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Auden Tate still has two years left on his rookie contract, AJ has faded tremendously, and Ross was never that great to begin with.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't pick up WRs via FA or draft, but pass catchers are a heck of a lot easier to find than quality pass rushers and blockers.  Good blocking allows plays to fully develop, so that even average skill players make plays.  If you have good pass rushers and tacklers, you're always IN every game.  This team needs a solid foundation that can control the lines of scrimmage, something that they clearly don't right now.

All the WRs that they need can be found in the mid and later rounds of the draft, and the second tier of Free Agency.

Are they though? We haven’t really been finding very good WR’s in the later rounds in recent years.

Cody Core - gone, never amounted to much

Josh Malone - gone, barely even got on the field

Mario Alford - same as Malone

James Wright - meh

Cobi Hamilton - started 1 game

We haven’t really hit on a late round WR since Marvin Jones in 2012.

Reply/Quote
If I’m taking a wr high it needs to be a Bateman, moore, olave top wr pick not a project.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2020, 09:08 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Are they though? We haven’t really been finding very good WR’s in the later rounds in recent years.

Cody Core - gone, never amounted to much

Josh Malone - gone, barely even got on the field

Mario Alford - same as Malone

James Wright - meh

Cobi Hamilton - started 1 game

We haven’t really hit on a late round WR since Marvin Jones in 2012.

Sorry for how things turned out for those guys, but there's no way anyone is going to sell me on the idea that WRs are more vital than fundamental blockers and tacklers in this particular draft for the Bengals.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote