Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Terrel Austin
Austin said that they ran into a hard to defend gameplan against Panthers....WTF?? Did you bother to watch the game we played against them a couple yrs ago which resulted in a tie? It was the Cam show all day long.....
Im not an NFL defensive coach but 1st thing I do is pull out the film and especially study up on how other teams had success against the RPO nightmare that is Cam Newton.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 10:28 PM)kalibengal Wrote: Austin said that they ran into a hard to defend gameplan against Panthers....WTF?? Did you bother to watch the game we played against them a couple yrs ago which resulted in a tie? It was the Cam show all day long.....
Im not an NFL defensive coach but 1st thing I do is pull out the film and especially study up on how other teams had success against the RPO nightmare that is Cam Newton.

A good SS Ninja
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 10:28 PM)kalibengal Wrote: Austin said that they ran into a hard to defend gameplan against Panthers....WTF?? Did you bother to watch the game we played against them a couple yrs ago which resulted in a tie? It was the Cam show all day long.....

And I'm sure they did exactly that. However the problem is that the Panthers also have NFL players and coaches who formulate their own game plans.  Simply put, they were out-played and out-coached.  

Have to flip on the tape, learn and move on.  
Reply/Quote
austin has had great D players with Detroit. They were a big problem of why Detroit sucked. Hate to say it but I don't think he is anything special!

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2018, 12:24 AM)RASCAL Wrote: austin has had great D players with Detroit. They were a big problem of why Detroit sucked. Hate to say it but I don't think he is anything special!
NO one complained about Austin after Indy and Baltimore, but I hear what your sayin! ZERO Blitzes. Carolina ran the same three plays seemingly all game. Football 101, you hit the option guy, If Cam keeps it, you still blast Mcaffrey. The Bengals still feel like Marvin Lewis is controling the plays and that's horrible. However without Burfict, Preston, ATKINS Nervous and a serious Dre Kirkpatrick and without a SS we were outmatched.
Reply/Quote
People complained. They saw we were giving up too many points, and living and dying by clutch turnovers. Without a clutch turnover we'd easily be 0-3.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
His defensive system has never been about playing sound principles,his defenses lack identity..truth is we should be a coverage based defense that employs alot of 4man rush with mixed coverages behind it,I haven't seen as many twists and stunts as I have in the mike Zimmer era either...
Reply/Quote
This Bengal defense is ranked at the bottom of the league in both Passing Yards allowed and Rushing Yards allowed.

With the Bengals caliber of players on the defensive side of the ball. What is the problem if its not Austin?

Every team has injuries, so I dont want to hear crap about being down 2 LBs.

Thoughts:

Vs. Carolina there was no D-Line push, and our guys got manhandled by backups.
You cannot allow a team to run the ball the way the Panthers did and expect to win on the road against a good team.
Even with all that, the defense did give the Bengals Offense chances to tie the game late.

Vs. Baltimore, I thought D played well for the first half, and then didnt have the same energy in the second.
Maybe the bad calls in this game had something to do with the poor Defensive play and shift momentum.

Vs. Indy short dumpy passes all day long. Also bad calls caused DLine to hold aggression.
Reply/Quote
The biggest problem with the defense is 3rd downs; a trend since forever, even under Zimmer. With the talent on that side of the ball, it’s inconceivable that they’d be ranked so low this year.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
I thought we "contained" sCam for the most part, however we let them run down our throat. I blame this on our LB'ers, not having Preston Brown Sunday hurt us a bunch and it didn't help Hardy got run over when he was in the right position.
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2018, 03:33 PM)corpjet Wrote: I thought we "contained" sCam for the most part, however we let them run down our throat.  I blame this on our LB'ers, not having Preston Brown Sunday hurt us a bunch and it didn't help Hardy got run over when he was in the right position.

Our linebackers single handily lost us this game. They were completely lost in coverage and they couldnt stop the run for shit. 

I dont know if thats Austin's fault, or if hes being handicapped by sub par players. But our line backers have sucked so far this year. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2018, 05:02 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Our linebackers single handily lost us this game. They were completely lost in coverage and they couldnt stop the run for shit. 

I dont know if thats Austin's fault, or if hes being handicapped by sub par players. But our line backers have sucked so far this year. 

austins a bad coach.he stinks,and it shows on how his d plays. for him to come out and say he takes the blame,is all I need to hear.He stinks.his saying he takes the blame is saying he was not prepared for this game and believe me,i think he lacks brain power to figure this shit out.fire his ass and get someone else.We should be on his butt all season,fans do not let up on this idoit.
Reply/Quote
Bad LB play is the direct result of the 'meh we can make any undrafted LB into an NFL starter' mentality from Marvin Lewis. This team has needed to invest early round picks in LBs so badly at times, but continues to neglect the position each year.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2018, 06:43 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Bad LB play is the direct result of the 'meh we can make any undrafted LB into an NFL starter' mentality from Marvin Lewis. This team has needed to invest early round picks in LBs so badly at times, but continues to neglect the position each year.
Because Marvin thinks he is the LB whisperer, despite the mountain of evidence to the contrary.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2018, 07:30 PM)McC Wrote: Because Marvin thinks he is the LB whisperer, despite the mountain of evidence to the contrary
Lol I must agree...
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2018, 06:43 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Bad LB play is the direct result of the 'meh we can make any undrafted LB into an NFL starter' mentality from Marvin Lewis. This team has needed to invest early round picks in LBs so badly at times, but continues to neglect the position each year.

This is not true at all.

Marvin has used a couple of first round picks on LBs (pollack, Rivers)  a couple of seconds (Thurman, Maualuga) and a bunch of thirds (Caleb Miller, Landon Johnson, Dontay Moch, Paul Dawson, Nick Vigil, Jordan Willis, Malik Jefferson)

We also signed Kevin Hardy, Nate Webster, and Preston Brown as free agents.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2018, 08:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is not true at all.

Marvin has used a couple of first round picks on LBs (pollack, Rivers)  a couple of seconds (Thurman, Maualuga) and a bunch of thirds (Caleb Miller, Landon Johnson, Dontay Moch, Paul Dawson, Nick Vigil, Jordan Willis, Malik Jefferson)

We also signed Kevin Hardy, Nate Webster, and Preston Brown as free agents.

You do know its 2018 right?

So basically you're telling me we haven't drafted a LB before round 3 in nearly 10 years. Appreciate the insight.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2018, 05:02 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Our linebackers single handily lost us this game. They were completely lost in coverage and they couldnt stop the run for shit. 

With the exception of Burfict, we've had below average LB play for a long time. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Teryl Austin’s defense is in the mid-20’s in yards per game allowed and 19th in points allowed. However, the defense is also tied for 9th in defensive takeaways.

This feels like a Bresnahan defense to me.

Hopefully things turn for the better once Burfict and Brown are back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2018, 12:41 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: You do know its 2018 right?

So basically you're telling me we haven't drafted a LB before round 3 in nearly 10 years. Appreciate the insight.

I consider 3rd round picks to be "early" picks.

In fact I bet we have drafted more LBs in the first three round since Marvin arrived than any other position.
Reply/Quote