Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Terrell's Pryor, 2pt Assassin?
Could Terrelle Pryor make this team now with the PAT rule changes? His size and speed make him a great 2pt option.

No need to get Dalton smashed trying to jump over the pile.

I bet the impending rule change was the main reason why we gave him a look. Sneaky smart Bengals.

They really need to expand the roster to about 60 players and let them all dress. I have no idea why they have so little roster spots.

Stupid autocorrect in the title
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I would love for them to expand the roster a few spots.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
It is weird that in baseball you have 25 man roster, and then so many different levels to have guys playing and developing. AAA, AA, High A, Low A, Rookie League etc. Yet in football with more injuries you don't have the depth to have guys in a "minor league" setting where you can call them up if needed. I know you have the practice squad, but those guys aren't safe. They can be signed away by any team at any time, and you have to waive them to get them there.

Just seems like they should do away with the practice squad, and open up the rosters to give more guys a chance to stick in the league and get developed. Look at the NBA (which I hate) but they went ahead and made the D league to help develop more talent.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
If Pryor makes the team, I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the field in some specialty situations. Hue seems to really like him and he definitely has the size and strength to be an NFL QB.
Reply/Quote
Yeah, it would be nice to have an option package installed specifically for Pryor on 2 point conversions. Even if only used every other game, it would be miserable to prepare for.
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2015, 01:26 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: If Pryor makes the team, I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the field in some specialty situations.  Hue seems to really like him and he definitely has the size and strength to be an NFL QB.

I just hope the coaches can talk him into maybe playing TE/WR.  Cool
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2015, 11:55 PM)bonesaw Wrote: Could Terrelle Pryor make this team now with the PAT rule changes?   His size and speed make him a great 2pt option.  

I bet the impending rule change was the main reason why we gave him a look.  Sneaky smart Bengals.

They really need to expand the roster to about 60 players and let them all dress.  I have no idea why they have so little roster spots.

The strange thing about the rule change to the 15 yard snap for the PAT is that it makes it a 33 yd kick, which NFL kickers are hitting 96% of the time. Is that really a difference compared to the 99.1% of the previous PAT?

And as far as the 2PT attempt staying at the 2 yard line, I really don't see Marvin going for two unless the situation dictates they have to because another team did and was successful.

I like the thought of Pryor having three targets to throw to all above 6'5"(Eifert, AJ, and Kroft) and the ability to run it will Hill or himself.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2015, 01:03 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: It is weird that in baseball you have 25 man roster, and then so many different levels to have guys playing and developing. AAA, AA, High A, Low A, Rookie League etc. Yet in football with more injuries you don't have the depth to have guys in a "minor league" setting where you can call them up if needed. I know you have the practice squad, but those guys aren't safe. They can be signed away by any team at any time, and you have to waive them to get them there.

Just seems like they should do away with the practice squad, and open up the rosters to give more guys a chance to stick in the league and get developed. Look at the NBA (which I hate) but they went ahead and made the D league to help develop more talent.

But to be fair, Baseball takes a lot longer to acclimate to the majors. You got guys being signed when they're 16 to 18, out of high school, and they are just put into the minor league system from there.

Baseball has so many facets that can be developed, from control of a pitch to plate discipline. These things can take years to learn and are very difficult to pick up the day you're drafted

Football is a relatively simple game that, generally, you're either athletic enough to play or you aren't. There's very little that needs to "click" in the transition from college ball to the NFL.

In the NFL, if your 1st and 2nd round picks aren't starters within a year, you picked the wrong guy. In Baseball, you can select a guy in the 1st round and not see him in the majors for as many as 3 to 4 years, if ever. They have 1st round compensatory picks because it is so much easier to draft a bust than it is in the NFL.

If the MLB minor league systems were like practice squads, it would be impossible to properly develop a team through the draft.
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't mind keeping Pryor if they expanded the roster but that's not happening yet is it ? And I'm not sure it's worth cutting a WR or TE to keep a gadget/part time player ?
Reply/Quote
Dalton, Pryor, and Sanu on the field together would be a defensive coordinator's nightmare. Who will throw the ball?!
LOL
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Someone proposed Allowing for all 53 players to be active.
But I don't think it passed.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2015, 12:08 PM)Lqhybrid25 Wrote: Someone proposed Allowing for all 53 players to be active.
I'd like to hear the reasoning for why that would be turned down.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-20-2015, 12:08 PM)Lqhybrid25 Wrote: Someone proposed Allowing for all 53 players to be active.

This is what I truly don't get. Why have an inactive list?

Don't raise the roster limit (though I'm not opposed to that). Just make all players on a roster active.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2015, 12:23 PM)PhilHos Wrote: This is what I truly don't get. Why have an inactive list?

Don't raise the roster limit (though I'm not opposed to that). Just make all players on a roster active.

Yep
Reply/Quote
Dalton only has 3 career INT in the red zone. He has 48 touchdowns.
I see no reason to remove him from the field.

(Should be 49 but someone couldn't hold their block)
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2015, 01:03 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: It is weird that in baseball you have 25 man roster, and then so many different levels to have guys playing and developing. AAA, AA, High A, Low A, Rookie League etc. Yet in football with more injuries you don't have the depth to have guys in a "minor league" setting where you can call them up if needed. I know you have the practice squad, but those guys aren't safe. They can be signed away by any team at any time, and you have to waive them to get them there.

NFLs developemental league should be up and running in the not so distant future.

I would like to see our Rookie DE/DT throw the ball he says he can launch it the lenght of the field... would be a good year for hard knocks
Reply/Quote
The reason the 53 active did not pass is to allow a competitive balance. It evens the playing field more so for teams with injuries. If one team is decimated and one is perfectly healthy the other team can send wave after wave. By playing with minimalist rosters for both teams it allows a more competitive structure. The other issue is the inability to send guys down like baseball or a 15 day DL. Inactive allows guys to stay on a team while learning even if they aren't quite ready.
Reply/Quote

The playing career of a baseball player could start at 18.
Most NFL players don't start until 21 or 22.

When you put young guys up against grown men in developmental leagues you get Margus Hunt. Looks great but when faced with equal opponents, it's nothing special
The difference lies in the physical nature of the sports.
College SHOULD be the developmental league. Only problem is, college want to win in college not make the best NFL players.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2015, 11:55 PM)bonesaw Wrote: Could Terrelle Pryor make this team now with the PAT rule changes?   His size and speed make him a great 2pt option.  

I bet the impending rule change was the main reason why we gave him a look.  Sneaky smart Bengals.

They really need to expand the roster to about 60 players and let them all dress.  I have no idea why they have so little roster spots.

I never even thought about it like this. It makes a lot of sense to just go for 2 a lot of the time depending on wind variables and having someone with speed could definitely be a game changer.
[Image: bey.gif]
Reply/Quote
Can we stop pretending like this new rule is going to change anything and teams are suddenly going to go for 2 more frequently. Just doesn't make sense.
Reply/Quote